• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Canadian Airborne Regiment, 1968-1995 (merged)

Does the Government of Canada owe an Apology to the Airborne Regiment ?

• Yes

Votes: 96 58.9%
  • No

Votes: 67 41.1%

• Total voters
ejmarty64 said:
Looking for OOB & TOE for the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

I know that initially it had the following:

HQ squadron
two large airborne commandos (one French speaking)

Make that three.....one from each regiment - RCR, PPCLI,
and R22eR
ejmarty64 said:
an airborne engineer squaron
an airborne artillery battery
an airborne signal squadron
an airborne service squadron

and then later reorganised into;

HQ & Signal squadron
three 150-man airborne commandos (one from each regiment - RCR, PPCLI,
and R22eR)
and the airborne service commando

Can anyone verify or expand on this?

Thanx in advance.....

Initially there was to be a complete Armour Recce Sqn, but that was cut before the Unit was stood up.  In the end there was a dedicated Armoured Recce Troop that was made up of "Active" Jumpers.

If I am not wrong, there were only an Jump Bty of Artillery, and a Jump Troop of Engineers.  There were no Service Battalion Jumpers, only Supply Technicians, Mechanics, Rad Techs, and such who were actually posted into the Airborne Regiment.

I think that you will find out more if you look at www.commando.org

I believe, they are what made up the 3rd Commando.  Two were in Canada, and one in Baden Sollingen.  They were replaced by 3 RCR and returned to Edmonton in the late 70's.

Initially, 1er Cdo and 2 Cdo were small Bn sized units.  A, B and C Cie in 1er Cdo, and D, E and F Coy in 2 Cdo.  After the "Crunch" of 68 - 70, outside of the AB Regt, there were 10 inf bns at the time :(Lahr/Baden 2, Gagetown 1,Valcartier/Citadel 2, Petawawa 1 ,London 1, Winnipeg 1, Calgary 1, Esquimalt 1) and since no one wanted to give a 4th bn to one of the inf regts, the tenth bn - created when the Cdn Bde in Germany shrank and moved south to Baden in 1970 - became 3 Mech Cdo, "Born in a Storm" in 1970 from - I think - combining the soldiers from 2RCR and 2PPCLI , as those bns returned to Canada.  2PPCLI to Fort Osbourne Barracks (later re-named Kapyong) and 2 RCR to take over the Black Watch in Gagetown.

When the Cdn AB Regt moved from Edmonton to Petawawa in the summer of 1977, it shrank again, losing 1 AB Bty, and it's Engineers.  Our Army shrank also, losing another Inf Bn, and 3 Mech Cdo was no more. It was replaced in Baden by  3RCR bn, then 2PPCLI to 1988, then another RCR bn.

"CREATION OF THE CANADIAN AIRBORNE REGIMENT
In 1966, the Chief of the Defence Staff, General J.V Allard, began plans for an airborne capability in the form of a radically different, specialized unit.4 Out of this initiative, the Canadian Airborne Regiment (CAR) was established on April 8, 1968. Located at CFB Edmonton, the Regiment's principal roles were defence of Canada operations against small-scale enemy incursions in the north, provision of short-notice response to United Nations requests for peace operations, and operations in limited or general war within the context of a larger allied force, particularly a variety of 'special service' missions, including pathfinders, deep patrolling and winter operations, and domestic operations in response to civil authorities.5

The CAR was organized as a unit of the Canadian Forces within Mobile Command. Generally, membership in the Regiment was about 900 in all ranks, with a regimental headquarters and six units: the airborne headquarters and signal squadron, which provided the normal communications and headquarters function; two infantry commandos -- 1er Commando Aéroporté and 2nd Airborne Commando; 1st Airborne Battery, which provided field artillery; 1st Airborne Field Engineer Squadron, providing combat support; and 1st Airborne Service Company, providing service support. Second- and third-line support was provided by 1st Field Service Support Unit (1FSSU), a special unit that, although not part of the Regiment, was created to support the Regiment. Service support was brought entirely into the CAR in 1975 with the amalgamation of 1 FSSU and 1st Airborne Service Company to form 1st Airborne Service Support Unit.6 The regimental commander, having the rank of colonel, exercised the powers of a commander of a formation.7 One of the two airborne infantry units (ler Commando) was francophone. This unit was eventually manned entirely by volunteers from the Royal 22e Regiment and moved from Valcartier to Edmonton in 1970.

MOVE TO CFB PETAWAWA
In 1976, the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Jacques Dextraze, concluded that the Canadian land forces, with a combat group and an airborne regiment in the west, a small combat group in central Canada, a combat group in Quebec, and an independent battalion in the Maritimes, were deployed in an unbalanced manner. His plan was to have a brigade group in the west, a brigade group in the east, and a quick-reaction regimental combat group in the centre. The result was the creation of a quick-reaction combat group in central Canada, an airborne/air transportable formation created by combining units of the CAR with those of 2 Combat Group at CFB Petawawa.8

Thus, in 1977, the CAR became part of the new Special Service Force (SSF), a brigade-sized command with a strength of 3,500, created to provide a small, highly mobile, general-purpose force that could be inserted quickly into any national or international theatre of operations.9 The Regiment moved from CFB Edmonton to CFB Petawawa and was downsized in the process, losing its gunners and engineers. It also lost its field support unit; logistic support would now come instead from the SSF's service battalion.

Within the CAR itself, the Airborne Service Company was resurrected to provide immediate first-line logistical support.

In 1979, 3 Commando was established as a new airborne unit. This resulted in a ceiling of about 750 members in all ranks, organized into three smaller company-sized commandos.10 The three infantry commandos now took shape around the three regimental affiliations: 1 Commando with the Royal 22e Régiment, 2 Commando with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, and 3 Commando with The Royal Canadian Regiment.

With the move to CFB Petawawa, the regiment's chain of command lengthened, because it was now a unit under the Special Service Force and one link further from the most senior army commander. On the other hand, the move to CFB Petawawa did allow for closer supervision of the CAR, because it was now under the direction of the commander of the Special Service Force. Moreover, the reorganization had the effect of diluting the CAR's former uniqueness in the army, since it was now shared with the rest of the new parent formation, the SSF. Later, the introduction of the army area command system placed Land Force Central Area between the SSF and Force Mobile Command headquarters. Thus, a unit intended in 1968 to be a resource answerable directly to the commander of the army and, through that commander, to the chief of the defence staff fell inside the 'normal' chain of command, without any apparent change in its operational mandate or concept of operations."

That is from a DND Doc on the Internet.  Google/Yahoo Canadian Airborne Regiment.

Tom

Very good post, but it left out all mention of the original plans for an Armour Recce Sqn and the Armour Recce Elements that were later instituted.  I know you were there, so I imagine that it may be a bit of a sore point to any of the Hussar and RCD Jumpers who were filling Operational Jump positions.  I have been trying to get photos, stories and nominal rolls from the Jump Troop for several years, with little success, for the Archives.  I have also had requests from Bernt Horn and Micheal Wyzinski (SP) for info on who was in the Jump Troops over the years and stories for their research.  Too many have said they would give, but procrastinated in the end.

Recce Troop used Lynx C&R.  They were airdropped on several occasions.

Before you go to the next question.....no the troops did not remain mounted when their vehicles were airdropped.  Vehicles and Pers jumped separately, reuniting once they were on the ground.

Most of the time the Lynx were not dropped in.  Too expensive, and Lynx dont "learn" from the experience.  Jumping into Round Lake (onto Bonnechere Airfield) and DZ Orange near Earlton in the Winter of 1984, in both cases the Lynx were pre-positioned.  I think they dropped them near Gander in 1985, but I was in Cornwallis 84 - 86 and missed that and the 1985 drop onto Trenton Airfield that racked up so many guys. 

George, thanks for the gentle arse-kick about procrastinating - you are correct, and I must get to it.

Tom

Tom, I think you meant Goosebay not Gander, 1985 sounds about right "Lightning Strike" IIRC.

"Initially, 1er Cdo and 2 Cdo were small Bn sized units.  A, B and C Cie in 1er Cdo, and D, E and F Coy in 2 Cdo. "

How were these Commandos organised?

Love793 said:
There was also a 3rd Mech Commando, located in Lahr

3 Mech Commando was in Baden, 1 R22R was in Lahr. I do not know why they made 3 Mech Commando, they wore the Maroon Beret and the Canadian Airborne Regiment badge and so forth, but the majority where not jump qualified. At the time the Canadians where in the North in the British sector, But after France pulled out of Germany the Canadians moved south and took over their area of responsibility. Also at the same time the Canadian Armed Forces was disbanding many of the Regular force units like the Black Watch and so forth, then re-badge the English units in Germany to 3 Mech Commando and the R22R stayed the way they where. Late 60's early 70's

Chop said:
I do not know why they made 3 Mech Commando, they wore the Maroon Beret and the Canadian Airborne Regiment badge and so forth, but the majority where not jump qualified.

An interesting tidbit for the cadet forum....

As stated above, we had ten inf bns at the time.  Who gets to decide which reg for inf regt gets a fourth bn while the other two only get three?  No takers, so, the tenth has to have a different affiliation, hence 3 Mech Cdo. 

So was 3 Mech Cdo a full-size infantry battalion or the same size as the other (Airborne) Commandos at the time?

Do you remember how many of each? Sounds a bit like the infantry bn a mate of mine served with in the Belgian Army in the late 70s, it had two platoons of Jagdpanzer Kanone (4 guns each plt), plus Milan and 90mm rocket launchers. BTW the army here (in South Africa) still has the 106, in motorised inf bns. sorry to go a bit off-topic, thanks.

I prob have it somewhere, but it would take me all weekend to find it.  ;D

Someone out there was prob in it, and would remember.

Lots of Militia flyovers to flush out # Mech in the early to mid seventies.

In the End, 1977 - Disbandment, the CAR was only Bn Plus strength on its' Manning Slate.  Each of the three Commando's were just over Company strength in manning.  In time of war, I imagine, the plan would have been to fluff up each Commando to Bn size, and therefore make a complete Regiment along the lines of the other Regular Infantry Regiments.

As is, the CAR was commanded by a Col, with LCols  commanding the Commandos.  Each Commando had its' own Colours.

I do not think that 3 Mech Cdo served in Northern Germany, prior to the move south in 1970.  They were stood up in Baden-Soellingen in June 1970, and later moved to join the CAR in Petawawa in June 1979 making a total of three Rifle Commandos in the regiment.

Back