• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Agreed.

But why I focused on the time measurement (aside from the fact that it’s wrong) is that it’s hyperbolic. I’m going to assume that he doesn’t just randomly spout stuff like Trump and that his remarks are thought out. Maybe I’m incorrect there, but for the sake of argument let’s say it’s true.

If so, why would he say something so obviously fact-checkably wrong? And something so meme-ably wrong for a future LPC or other attack ad?

Does this keep you awake at night?

I have no idea why he would think that the media (aside from the town Crier) has been a thing longer than the printing press…

Is he trying to make a joke or be sarcastic? I can’t even tell.
3,000 years ago the media were bards like Homer who went from town to town providing the infotainment the people wanted. They swapped war stories for a meal, love stories for some wine and added bits of sex and violence for a place to sleep. Not much has changed we still pay for the infotainment we want- that's why a few broadcast entities and journals are financially healthy and many others are teetering on edge of bankruptcy.

3,000 years ago the media were bards like Homer who went from town to town providing the infotainment the people wanted. They swapped war stories for a meal, love stories for some wine and added bits of sex and violence for a place to sleep. Not much has changed we still pay for the infotainment we want- that's why a few broadcast entities and journals are financially healthy and many others are teetering on edge of bankruptcy.
Better synopsis than mine :salute:

Big difference in that Vance famously “switched sides” (or “kissed the ring” depending on your view) and Poilievre hasn’t, but otherwise yes, he is more like Vance than Trump.

Big difference in that Vance famously “switched sides” (or “kissed the ring” depending on your view) and Poilievre hasn’t, but otherwise yes, he is more like Vance than Trump.
To be fair to PP, he doesn't strike me as being as ... weird? as Vance. Agree or disagree with the positions, he's typically not as out there compared to some of Vance's more-out-there stuff.

PP is Canadian.
So he's not like either Vance nor Trump. Nor any other resident of the USA for that matter.

Bloody awful that Canadians are so insecure that we feel the need to validate ourselves by importing every cultural movement from the Excited States of America.

PP is Canadian.
So he's not like either Vance nor Trump. Nor any other resident of the USA for that matter.
And yet, some around these parts compare PMJT to all sorts of other leaders and such from other countries, so the comparison game is sadly a fact of life in today's politics.
Bloody awful that Canadians are so insecure that we feel the need to validate ourselves by importing every cultural movement from the Excited States of America.
At its worst, a pendulum-swinging mix of insecurity about, and perceived superiority over, our American neighbours.

To be fair to PP, he doesn't strike me as being as ... weird? as Vance. Agree or disagree with the positions, he's typically not as out there compared to some of Vance's more-out-there stuff.
“Weird” is the new coordinated slander by the corrupt media and establishment on both sides of the border.

I mean who would vote for a weirdo?

“Weird” is the new coordinated slander by the corrupt media and establishment on both sides of the border.
I meant weird as a bit odd/goofy. I have no dogs to whistle to -- as others have said about other's words, that's what what I really mean .... :)

“Weird” seems to be sticking south of the border. Many conservative pundits there are a little upset about it.

If Walz has contributed anything to the race it’s that label lol.

PP is Canadian.

In this particular case, I do see parallels between the CPC ads and the less extreme of the GOP ads. In the same way that the Trudeau 2015 campaign was much like the Obama 2008 campaign.

I don’t think it’s insecurity, it’s the fact that it’s “working” (in quotes as that is debatable) south of the border so parties will want to take that example and apply it here. Why reinvent the wheel, right?

“Weird” seems to be sticking south of the border. Many conservative pundits there are a little upset about it.

If Walz has contributed anything to the race it’s that label lol.
Yeah, it’s hit a nerve, and it has stuck the landing. It has a potent combination of being mild yet damning, and very easy to substantiate with examples because of how not extreme it is. But it also cuts right to the bone against the ‘Everyman’ image many politicians crave. Someone who’s ‘weird’, who is excluded from fitting in, has their work cut out for them in appealing to voters. It’s a nice play by the Dems.

Some people are #TeamWeird

Daniel Radcliffe GIF by The Roku Channel

In this particular case, I do see parallels between the CPC ads and the less extreme of the GOP ads. In the same way that the Trudeau 2015 campaign was much like the Obama 2008 campaign.

I don’t think it’s insecurity, it’s the fact that it’s “working” (in quotes as that is debatable) south of the border so parties will want to take that example and apply it here. Why reinvent the wheel, right?
Isn’t importing US style politics supposed to be a bad thing? Oh right, it’s bad when the Conservatives do it, but the Liberals can have every Democrat including Clinton’s dog briefing them on strategy and it’s all good.

Riiiiight.

Oh No Smh GIF by Nicky Rojo

... it’s bad when the Conservatives do it, but the Liberals can have every Democrat including Clinton’s dog briefing them on strategy and it’s all good ...
To be entirely fair, there's more than a bit of a reverse of that assessment that goes on, too, from folks complaining about Clinton Canine Consulting Inc. or UK Labour Retirees Consulting LLC briefing Team Red here - with similar aspersions cast their way for it.

No matter what colour the jersey, politicians are out to win, and they're usually willing to try most things that they see working elsewhere to see if it works here.

Also, given the size of the U.S. media footprint over Canada (not to mention social media), what's done in American often eventually gets done in Canada. Not just in politics, either.

Chicken, meet egg ...

Back