• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
mariomike said:
My reply to FSTO,

was to regarding crime in Canada by province and territory,

Crime statistics by province and territory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada#Crime_statistics_by_province_and_territory
I still don’t get your post. I was replying to the Bill Mahr video and I pointed out that urban people have been duped by the likes of Trudeau, Obama and Clinton. You came back with provincial stats which are mainly centred in the city.

But the urban centres are getting tougher all the time.  Nova Scotia has about the same population as Ottawa for instance.  HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality), by virtue of being the most dense, population wise, has the biggest crime problems.  In my 24 years there, it's only gotten worse year after year. 

The provinces you point out, Mike, will probably be the same as NS.  The cities are where it's the worst.

NYC has 4.18 police officers per 1,000 people.
Los Angeles, the second largest city in the U.S. has a ratio of 2.6 police per 1,000 people.

jollyjacktar said:
But the urban centres are getting tougher all the time.  Nova Scotia has about the same population as Ottawa for instance.  HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality), by virtue of being the most dense, population wise, has the biggest crime problems.  In my 24 years there, it's only gotten worse year after year. 

The provinces you point out, Mike, will probably be the same as NS.  The cities are where it's the worst.

I read a quick blurb on that.  Population density yes, higher migrant populations and a higher concentration of youth are all things that contribute to higher crime rates.  What is harder to explain are the differences in homicide rates and violent crime between urban centres. 

And once again, yet another thread is derailed into "every  discussion must have a Toronto/emergency services link," because of a tenuous completely irrelevant Trump/Ford photo.

FML -- the topic is US POLITICS 2018!!    :brickwall:

Journeyman said:
And once again, yet another thread is derailed into "every  discussion must have a Toronto/emergency services link," because of a tenuous completely irrelevant Trump/Ford photo.

I have deleted every post of mine after Reply #167.

Smart way to get votes

On April 1st,  California will implement a court order that automatically registers anyone with a state-issued driver’s license to vote in elections.

The California New Motor Voter Act was signed into law in October of 2015, the same year California instituted a new policy allowing illegal immigrants to obtain a driver’s license, which now accounts for nearly a million drivers, according to the Sacramento Bee.

https://www.dangerous.com/40498/california-automatically-register-illegal-immigrants-vote/

Jarnhamar said:
https://www.dangerous.com/40498/california-automatically-register-illegal-immigrants-vote/

"By Pawl Bazile"

Who is Pawl Bazile?

Production Director, Media Relations Manager, Editor, Staff Writer at Proud Boy.
http://officialproudboys.com/proud-boys/meet-the-staff/

Journeyman said:

I apologise for adding to the derailment, many of us are guilty of defaulting to our life experience and interjecting it into threads to the point of derailment.  Mea culpa.

mariomike said:
"By Pawl Bazile"

Who is Pawl Bazile?

Production Director, Media Relations Manager, Editor, Staff Writer at Proud Boy.
http://officialproudboys.com/proud-boys/meet-the-staff/

1. No one asked who Paul Bailey was.
2. Relevance to 1 million illegal immigrants being given voting rights in "but we had 3 million more votes!" California? 
3. Are you suggesting handing out voting rights like blockbuster memberships is a good thing for the US? Mexico is close to California, perhaps Mexicans should get to vote on the next election?

Jarnhamar said:
No one asked who Paul Bailey was.

I'm not arguing with you.

I was curious who Pawl Bazile ( Paul Bailey? ) is.

Let's get to first principles first:

Article 1 of the US Constitution is quite clear "people", not citizen, resident, non-immigrants, etc. is how the electors for Congress are described. So how do they become "electors"?

Section 2, paragraph 1 (for the house of representatives but it drives all other qualifications unless the Senate adopts a different system for itself [Section 3, para 1]) indicates that "electors shall have the qualification required of electors of the most numerous branch of the State"

It is the various States that define and decide who THEIR electors are to be for their state, and by ricochet, for the US congress.

There is, and never was, any specific requirement in the Constitution for those electors to be citizens of the US. Therefore, it is quite fair for any state, including California, to decide for itself that anyone residing in their state, as demonstrated by holding a valid driver licence amongst other things, shall be sufficient to have an interest in the affairs of the State justifying having the right to vote.

There are many countries, including Canada, that make being either a Citizen or a landed immigrant as requirement to vote, but not the US Constitution.

That's it, that's all.

They're still limited to 55 electoral college votes at the national level... so this won't solve that "problem", if that's the goal. They may be able to turn the tide elsewhere, but Democrats currently hold both seats in the Senate, so the only potential gains would be in Congress where they hold 39 out of 53 seats.

[quote author=Oldgateboatdriver]

There are many countries, including Canada, that make being either a Citizen or a landed immigrant as requirement to vote, but not the US Constitution.

That's it, that's all.

[/quote]

That sounds crazy to me but I guess that's how they run the show. Thanks for  explaining all that.

Jarnhamar said:
1. No one asked who Paul Bailey was.
2. Relevance to 1 million illegal immigrants being given voting rights in "but we had 3 million more votes!" California? 
3. Are you suggesting handing out voting rights like blockbuster memberships is a good thing for the US? Mexico is close to California, perhaps Mexicans should get to vote on the next election?

Have you actually read anything about this issue other than the questionable ranting of a less than reliable source?  How about the actual legislation and regulations? Or any official information about the voter registration process?  Or even looked at the California DMV site, you don't have to wait in line for hours to do that.

California New Motor Voter Program

The Department of Motor Vehicles and Secretary of State are working to establish a new California Motor Voter Program as defined by AB 1461. This new program will increase voter registration during DMV transactions by automatically registering any person who is qualified to vote unless that person opts out of registration. Exciting changes to arrive in April 2018. More information coming soon.

And from the California Secretary of State - (Note, the simultaneous voter registration with a DMV transaction is not yet in place so mention of the DMV is not in reference to this new process, but the way it was done for years)
How do I register to vote?

To register to vote you must complete a voter registration application on paper or online at RegisterToVote.ca.gov. When you register online, the system will search the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) database for your California driver license or identification card number, date of birth, and last four digits of your social security number. If your information is found and you authorize elections officials' use of your DMV signature, an electronic image of your DMV signature will be added to your voter registration application after you click "submit" at the end of the online application. If there is no signature on file with DMV, all of your information will be transmitted to your county elections office; you will just need to click "print," sign the paper application, and mail it. Your county elections official will contact you when your voter registration application is approved or if more information is needed to confirm your eligibility.

Seems like this new process will act much like our (Canada's) method of keeping track of voter address changes through income tax returns by combining it (voter registration) with the most common government interaction with people approaching voting age or changing address (driver's license).  However, we don't have quite the issue of voter registration (initial or otherwise) that the US has.

So, how does this new process give voting rights to undocumented immigrants?

Blackadder1916 said:
Have you actually read anything about this issue other than the questionable ranting of a less than reliable source? 

Nope.

So are you saying that illegal immigrants in California who have drivers licenses won't, in fact, become eligible to vote? The premise of that article is completely wrong?

Jarnhamar said:
Nope.

So are you saying that illegal immigrants in California who have drivers licenses won't, in fact, become eligible to vote? The premise of that article is completely wrong?

No, they won't.  Premise?  I think the only premise that the author of the article had was to create controversy by deliberately making false accusations and suppositions about the intent of the legislation.  That's why it was important to know who the author was?

Well that's great news. I have a little more hope for California  now. I'll change my opinion to it being crazy they let illegal immigrants have drivers liscences. But maybe if Trump is successful with his plan to defund sanctuary cities maybe that practice might stop too.

I wonder if apples big move to silicone valley will change any opinions of him out that way. Probably not.

Jarnhamar said:
I have a little more hope for California now. I'll change my opinion to it being crazy they let illegal immigrants have drivers liscences.

* Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America ( PNAS ):
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/16/4111.full.pdf
"Providing driver’s licenses to unauthorized immigrants in California improves traffic safety"

* "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) is the official scientific journal of the National Academy of Sciences, published since 1915. With broad coverage, spanning the biological, physical, and social sciences, the journal publishes original research alongside scientific reviews, commentaries, and letters. In 1999–2009, the last period for which data are available, PNAS was the second most cited journal across all fields of science."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proceedings_of_the_National_Academy_of_Sciences_of_the_United_States_of_America

Jarnhamar said:
I wonder if apples big move to silicone valley will change any opinions of him out that way.
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=SH5mWuXcIMaXjwSPgouADA&q=apple+trump+daca&oq=apple+trump+daca&gs_l=psy-ab.12...18053.19880.0.22122.8.8.0.0.0.0.143.818.5j3.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.120...35i39k1.0.edoRU9fV6B0

So Apple, and their $1000 phones,  who's about to pay a 38 billion dollar tax bringing their stuff back to the US, doesnt support the estimated million plus children under 18 from being deported?  I can think of some reasons why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back