• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

He used to be good commenting on low level issues affecting the CF, but since he got into army flapping moralising on international affairs, Scott Taylor seems to have lost the plot. Mate, take off your tinfoil hat and stick to writing about comfy fitting boots or regimental history and leave international reporting to those who know a thing or two about it.

His latest missive on...errr...something or other:

http://m.thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1330118-on-target-the-realities-of-kurdistan-defy-blimpish-theory

Well, you've just killed some kittens by mentioning the unmentionable by name here....

That being said, I don't usually agree with he who's name must never be spoken aloud.  This time, I agree more than I disagree with what is in that opinion piece.

jollyjacktar said:
Well, you've just killed some kittens by mentioning the unmentionable by name here....

That being said, I don't usually agree with he who's name must never be spoken aloud.  This time, I agree more than I disagree with what is in that opinion piece.

Sorry, obviously not a frequent flyer here...I shall avoiding mentioning HWSNBN again.

Canuck_Jock said:
Sorry, obviously not a frequent flyer here...I shall avoiding mentioning HWSNBN again.
I'm not remotely a fan either, but much of what he's written in that article is being said in other places as well, so there may  be something to it.

If you've got heartache with the points raised, feel free to explain what and why. 

Think of it as an exercise in expressing informed opinion.  :)

Journeyman said:
Could you be a bit more precise on what you're disagreeing with.

Aye, well. I must have the memory of a goldfish, but whenever I see the headline of his latest article listed on SOMNIA I click on it in the hope of reading some reasonably deep geopolitical analysis of some troubled corner of the world. And of course, it turns out to be some schimfing spiel spouted by the miserable bloke at the back of the pub. "Harper involved? It must be shite. Yanks involved? More shite. Want to do something, somewhere? Shite and bollocks!" Sums up his articles. The latest one is about because the Afghan Army are having a hard time of it....something....something....bollocks...we should pull out of Iraq. No bang for the buck in his articles. Any contextualisation on the post-Soviet Afghan pullout? Naw, just bollocks to it all...

I am not sold on calling Afghanistan a (complete) failure.  Of course, Iraq is a mess and seeing no easy solution to the problem there OR the entire region but something being difficult is not, on its own, a reason to leave the fight.  If Afghanistan did indeed 'fail', was it not after we repat'd our entire force?  Would the situation in Iraq/ME region also be improved if the entire MESF closed up shop and went home because it was complicated and difficult?

Latest stats:

Attention: Latest News - Air operations

As of 9 January 2016, Air Task Force-Iraq conducted 2001 sorties:

CF-188 Hornet fighters conducted 1280 sorties;
CC-150T Polaris aerial refueller conducted 347 sorties, delivering some 20,265,000 pounds of fuel to coalition aircraft; and
CP-140 Aurora aircraft conducted 374 reconnaissance missions.

Definition - sortie: In air operations, a sortie refers to an operational flight by one aircraft. A sortie starts when one aircraft takes off and ends upon landing.

8 Jan 2016

On 8 January 2016, while taking part in coalition airstrikes in support of Iraqi security forces operations to clear ISIL from Ramadi, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL fighting position southeast of Ramadi using precision guided munitions.

7 Jan 2016

On 7 January 2016, while taking part in coalition airstrikes in support of Iraqi security forces operations to clear ISIL from Ramadi, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL facility used as a staging area and for vehicle-borne Improvised Explosive Device (IED) storage in Ramadi using precision guided munitions.

On 7 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck two ISIL fighting positions southeast of Haditha using precision guided munitions.

6 Jan 2016

On 6 January 2016, while taking part in coalition airstrikes in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck three ISIL vehicle-borne Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and one ISIS vehicle southeast of Haditha using precision guided munitions.

3 Jan 2016

On 3 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL rocket emplacement in the vicinity of Al-Baghdadi with precision guided munitions.

On 3 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck two ISIL vehicle-borne IEDs north-west of Al-Baghdadi with precision guided munitions.

2 Jan 2016

On 2 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck two ISIL fighting positions south west of Sinjar, using precision guided munitions.

On 2 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL compound near Bartallah, (east of Mosul), using precision guided munitions.

On 2 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security forces, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL compound near Kudilah, (southeast of Mosul), using precision guided munitions.

1 Jan 2016

On 1 January 2016, while taking part in coalition operations in support of Iraqi security operations to clear ISIL from Ramadi, two CF-18 Hornets successfully struck four ISIL fighting positions with precision guided munitions.

Eye In The Sky said:
CF-188 Hornet fighters conducted 1280 sorties;

Definition - sortie: In air operations, a sortie refers to an operational flight by one aircraft. A sortie starts when one aircraft takes off and ends upon landing.

To help me comprehend the RCAF lingo, by that definition, and the fact that CF-18s are typically flown in pairs, there have been 640 "missions" (In that 2x CF-18 would be a sortie each)?

A sortie is a single aircraft. A mission is a group of aircraft: anywhere between 2 and 4.

SupersonicMax said:
A sortie is a single aircraft. A mission is a group of aircraft: anywhere between 2 and 4.

Which makes a person wonder why they refer to '140 trips as missions... :dunno:

To be fair, I talked about Hornets:  because we never go ad singletons.  A mission, in Air Force lingo, is a line on the ATO. 

More tea leaves to read about the future mission, via CTVnews.ca:
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the government is looking at ways to increase Canadian intelligence capabilities in the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS.

Speaking to CTV’s Power Play on Wednesday, Sajjan emphasized the importance of the Canadian intelligence skills in the fight against the terror group.

“Our intelligence capability is second to none. It’s always sought after and we are looking at different forms of capabilities, how we can increase that,” said Sajjan.

“We have a robust intelligence capability and how do we integrate that into our training that we’re already doing?”

Sajjan said the need for increased medical assistance also came to mind during his recent visit to Iraq. He said the government is still considering what is needed in terms of medical help, and is cautious not to propose options that won’t work on the ground.

“You don’t want to be offering things that are not going … to be utilized properly,” said Sajjan ...

So as i recall we had a number of our CF-18's upgraded to use a "sniper pod" and that piece of kit pushed the ability of the aircraft to see and id target above and beyond many of the other peer allied aircraft. Is that correct and do they give our aircraft and our allies an edge they might otherwise lose?

This probably is not a surprise to most here.
'Of course' allies want Canada's fighter jets to stay, says defence minister
CBC Radio
16 Jan 16

Canada's allies in the coalition against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria want to see Canadian fighter jets stay in the area, but Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan isn't backing down from the Liberals' campaign promise to withdraw the CF-18s.

"Of course they want to keep our CF-18s there," he said in an interview on CBC Radio's The House in an interview airing Saturday.

But sticking with the airstrike mission wouldn't be the "responsible" thing to do, Sajjan added.

"The responsible thing, in my opinion, is to make sure we as a coalition partner look at the current situation, the needs of the coalition," he said. "When you look at the current situation, the conversation is [...] 'How do we target more?'"

As the fight against ISIS continues to evolve, Sajjan said the conversation from a military perspective has changed.

"[In] the early days, when ISIL was in the open, you could target them," he said, using an alternative form of the name of the extremist group. "Now the fight has gone into where you need to be able to define and find your target, and then be able to have that impact on the ground."

That doesn't mean Canadians fighting on the ground, though.

"It has to be the Iraqi boots on the ground — if you don't have the boots on the ground, you cannot win," he said.

Conservative defence critic James Bezan said Sajjan's stance on the CF-18s hasn't been explained thoroughly. In a statement released Friday in response to The House interview, Bezan called the Liberal government "out of step with our allies" in the war against ISIS.

"The Liberals have never been able to explain why withdrawing our CF-18s from the air combat mission is 'responsible' when our allies want us to stay," he said.

Sajjan is looking at increasing the training side of the mission for Canadian soldiers. The training of local troops is going extremely well, Sajjan told host Chris Hall.

Sajjan is preparing to go before cabinet with his recommendations in the coming weeks. The current mandate, which includes airstrikes in both Iraq and Syria, is up in March — but so far, there's no timeline for when Canadians can expect the planes to be pulled.

For now, the CF-18s continue to strike ISIS targets in Iraq mainly, while 69 special forces trainers are working with Iraqi and Kurdish soldiers.

"Teaching [local troops] how to launch and repel attacks, and doing it in an environment that's close up is extremely important," Sajjan said, adding that the "advise and assist" part of the mission will continue to be an integral part of Canada's contributions — but one that will eventually be dialed back.

"We're fulfilling a very important need right now in the training mission ... having troops on the ground able to carry out operations on their own.

"Just as we phased our training in Afghanistan and were able to slowly pull away, this is one of the effective tools we're very good at."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thehouse/when-dark-economic-clouds-overshadow-the-political-agenda-1.3403555/of-course-allies-want-canada-s-fighter-jets-to-stay-says-defence-minister-1.3403789

Back