• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fat troops on the street....

Where my hubby works, if you want to hit the base gym, then go let your boss know and see ya when you're done. They also have regular times that they can all go to the gym together. There have been many times where he has been invited to play a bit of racket ball but had to turn it down because he had some work to finish(he has a lazy work partner who is never at work, or so it seems). On ship, there was never any give and never any encouragement to hit the gym. For me, I work from 8:30-5:30 and still find and hour or so at night(usually at 9pm) for me to go for a run and to try and get my damn push ups mastered before my PT Test on the 28th of this month. I may be losing sleep, but I am also losing weight and feeling good about what I am doing for myself. I am also lucky that a neighbour is in the midst of rejoining the CF and his wife is trying to get into the fire fighting school, so all three of us are motivation for each other, and none of us take no for an answer.

People just have to find somewhere where they can sacrifice an hour(for me I sacrifice my hour of CSI) for the betterment of their health, and many need the motivation to do it.

It is possible to find time to do PT or extra PT if you desire.  In my home unit I wrote a memo to the requisite authorities and, lo and behold, I was granted an extra 45 min per unit pt period (3x per week).  Here in Alert my super allows us to hit the gym at 1500 daily (operational requirements notwithstanding).  My self I prefer to go to the gym in the morning (0500).  That way the time is mine to do with as I please.  What's the point you ask?  You gotta wanna!  I, myself, am rather round in appearance however I do my job, pass my express test, and DAG green for tours and operations (hence my current position).  Physical appearance is only one indicator of physical fitness.  Do not judge a book by the cover.  At least red the freakin' prologue.
OK I feel sufficiently vented now.  Carry on.

I do have to agree with you on that.  I myself  am about 15 pounds over weight  but I can still jog 6 km no prob, do 50 pushups  and 30 situps in 1 min.  But i look at it that if I lose these 15 pounds.  I will be able, to do more,  plus it might  increase my life span by a few years.    The idea of trading fast food and big meals ( excluding  x-mas  and thanksgiving)  for a few extra years on life, is seems  like the best investment  I can think of.

Daidalous said:
I do have to agree with you on that.    I myself   am about 15 pounds over weight   but I can still jog 6 km no prob, do 50 pushups   and 30 situps in 1 min.    But i look at it that if I lose these 15 pounds.    I will be able, to do more,   plus it might   increase my life span by a few years.     The idea of trading fast food and big meals ( excluding    x-mas   and thanksgiving)    for a few extra years on life, is seems   like the best investment   I can think of.

I am also 15 lbs over my goal weight, but it doesn't really bug me. The key to losing the weight is to continue to be active all the time and eat 6X's a day. I like those new bran bars they have. they are great with a small yogurt on the side to dip it into.

Haggis said:
I doubt it was "Fail" or "Med Excused".   Those make the member look bad.

"Not Tested" would require the supervisor to explain in the narrative why this member was not tested.   That could reflect poorly on the supervisor.

Likey it was "Passed" or Exempt". No explanation or obfuscation required.

The "not tested" is usually for those who are medically excused, temp or permanent categories

Jumper said:
The "not tested" is usually for those who are medically excused, temp or permanent categories

Then what's the "Med Excused" box used for? ;D

"Not Tested" is used for those members who cannot/do not attempt the fitness test for reasons other than medical.   Such reasons could be:

-isolated posting;
-no facilites to test at;
-no CFPSA at the location;
-operational commtments;   or

-refused to do it;
-missed the test;
-procrastination.

Putting "Med Excused" on a PER needs no futher explanation.   "Not Tested" does.

When we were posted to the US, hubby was told that all CF personel were excused from doing the testing due to the location, and that the US standards are not the same as ours.

During the last year we were there, they were able to get a PSP tester down there to test the guys, and I must say that those people were pretty ticked since some of them had almost 4 years without any sort of testing(some large guys down there!!).

What I do not under stand , as in a US posting or ot another allied country posting is,  foreign military's should have some form of PSP staff be it military or civy.  How hard is it to have the PT test instructions  faxed or emailed to the base you are at, and do the test.  it is not rocket science,  hell you could even send the stupid  20 MSR music with the email and just burn it to a Cd and play it  Then  email or fax the results back.

Daidalous,
you would think....
for the most part, while you are detached to them, you are considerd an outsider (to a certain extent) and not asked / expected to undergo all of the training & evaluating that their own people do.... also, some of their boys & girls don't appear to get much of an evaluation either.... some big boys in dem dar ranks.

The 20 MSR is not even a "CF invention." AFAIK anyone with the right certification can run the test. The same goes for the step-test that is used for recruiting.

signalsguy said:
The 20 MSR is not even a "CF invention." AFAIK anyone with the right certification can run the test. The same goes for the step-test that is used for recruiting.

True.  Most Ontario police services use it for recruit selection as well.

Springroll said:
I am also 15 lbs over my goal weight, but it doesn't really bug me. The key to losing the weight is to continue to be active all the time and eat 6X's a day. I like those new bran bars they have. they are great with a small yogurt on the side to dip it into.

I'm confused - are you giving us advice on how to remain 15 lbs over your goal weight ... ?
(i.e. just out of curiousity, I checked with a professional/licensed dietician and asked about the bran bar and yohgurt diet - never heard of it, but did mention that it would be sounder advice to remind everybody of the necessity of remaining hydrated - simple rule of thumb is one eight ounce glass of water per ten lbs of body weight, per day ... gee, I love "rules of thumb" ... but, I digress ...)

bossi said:
simple rule of thumb is one eight ounce glass of water per ten lbs of body weight, per day ... gee, I love "rules of thumb" ... but, I digress ...)

As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need to drink more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. If you take in too much water to quickly, you can suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. The kidneys can process up to 15 litres a day for a healthy adult. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water. The glass of water per 10lbs of weight seems a little high to me. The average person loses ten cups (where one cup = eight ounces) of fluid per day but also takes in four cups of water from food, leaving a need to drink only six glasses to make up the difference. Too much water can be just as bad as too little.

Springroll said:
As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need to drink more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. If you take in too much water to quickly, you can suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. The kidneys can process up to 15 litres a day for a healthy adult. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water. The glass of water per 10lbs of weight seems a little high to me. The average person loses ten cups (where one cup = eight ounces) of fluid per day but also takes in four cups of water from food, leaving a need to drink only six glasses to make up the difference. Too much water can be just as bad as too little.

"... most adults ..."?  Does this include sedentary office workers, etc. (as opposed to active combat arms soldiers, etc.)?  I do agree, however, with your comment re: weather/exercising.
three quarts (Imperial) = 120 oz = 15 eight oz glasses (okay for a person who weighs 150 lbs)
15 litres = 527.926 oz = 66 eight oz glasses (okay for a person who weighs 660 lbs ... hmmm ...)

Sorry - you've got me at a disadvantage - I only know where the dietician I consulted got her degree and license - not sure where you got yours ...

Springroll said:

Holy smokes!! That was confusing!! Does 4 XL Black Timmies count? That's it. That's all I drink. Besides the occasional rye and coke (a couple a month). No milk, no water... I subsist on Timmies (that's probably a good explanation for the fact that I never sleep!!)

bossi said:
Sorry - you've got me at a disadvantage - I only know where the dietician I consulted got her degree and license - not sure where you got yours ...

I got some of my information from when I was attending school to be a Resident Care Attendant(got it from the BScN teachers we had teaching us) and from my doctor and the dietician I consulted about 6 months ago before I started working out. Also, if you do a search on the internet, there is a ton of information around the medical sites about it.

Ghost778 said:
ya I have a couple a month too   ;)

Get used to it... it's that old 2/man/ rule coming into play here!! I am well trained!! Only the first one and the last one count!!  ;D

Back