• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jagmeet Singh, probably the biggest political loser?

It will in Quebec likely. I bet it will be included in a pre election budget.

Old Age Security, or OAS, pays up to $718.33 a month for seniors aged 65 to 74 and is phased out for individuals with income above $142,609. There is also a related benefit for low-income seniors called the Guaranteed Income Supplement, or GIS.

142K seems high to me. Lower that to 100K. And maybe put that +10% into the GIS not OAS.

I don't support any of it, as I don't think the wealthiest age demographic should get a penny of my pay, but I know I am going to lose this. So compromise ?

Beware the law of unintended consequences. Within less than a generation, they likely won't be the wealthiest demographic, and then what? For clarity, I don't support an increase.

Beware the law of unintended consequences. Within less than a generation, they likely won't be the wealthiest demographic, and then what? For clarity, I don't support an increase.
Regardless of demographic averages changing over time, it's hard to defend sending welfare cheques to those making 6 figures (edit- significantly over the median income of the day) in retirement a good use of tax payer dollars.

142K seems high to me. Lower that to 100K. And maybe put that +10% into the GIS not OAS.

I don't support any of it, as I don't think the wealthiest age demographic should get a penny of my pay, but I know I am going to lose this. So compromise ?
Make the OAS cap 100k per household rather than 140k per individual, and shift both the 75+ 10% top up and this Bloc proposed one to the GIS.

Last edited:
Ill take that deal!
At risk of derailing again.

I don't expect the Libs or NDP to fight this. It's expensive vote buying with borrowed money- par for the course. But I'm watching how PP handles this closely. Conservative principles and fiscal pragmatism say that he should be fighting this hammer and tongs- using his well demonstrated ability to shape the narrative to use this Bloc proposal as opportunity to stake ground and widen the debate about OAS waste.

But...
Canadians feel entitled to their entitlements, there are few demographics with the political clout, time, and money- of high income retirees. Unlike other touchstone issues he's formed rallying cries around- this one isn't against faceless bureaucrats, or government bigwigs- it's a powerful voting bloc. Can he stand up for what is needed for the country?

Of course there's an argument to be made that this is the kind of issue that you wait for the majority and force the pill down early in the term, and that the more strategic course is to not make waves- and potentially create an election wedge that puts him on the wrong side of a powerful demographic.

Last edited:
Make the OAS cap 100k per household rather than per individual, and shift both the 75+ 10% top up and this Bloc proposed one to the GIS.
Perhaps fine tune the OAS $ cap with a geographical CoL adjustment to the 100K (or whatever % of median income is determined to be appropriate), but I agree that this approach is something worthy of consideration. 👍🏼

The private members (Bloc mbr) bill for the increase was already voted for in the HoC. All Parties but the LPC voted yes. It is now awaiting Royal assent.

Cost:

Bloc's OAS increase proposal could cost Canadians $16B: PBO | Power Play with Vassy Kapelos

I remember Harper raising the age for CPP to 67. I think that’s one of the reasons why he was elected out of office. The first thing Trudeau did was reverse that.

Harper: good policy, bad politics

Trudeau: bad policy, good politics.

As for the NDP and BQ, they have no incentive to go to the polls so they won’t help the CPC defeat the government. There’s only downside for them, even if there no time to implement their wish list.

I remember Harper raising the age for CPP to 67. I think that’s one of the reasons why he was elected out of office. The first thing Trudeau did was reverse that.

As for the NDP and BQ, they have no incentive to go to the polls so they won’t help the CPC defeat the government. There’s only downside for them, even if there no time to implement their wish list.
In my view, this will only allow some more festering of the political wound. The NDP missed an opportunity to exploit the loss of faith in the Liberals, and they too will pay for it next election (unless they somehow shift course big time). The Bloc in my view should push to get to the polls now and take most of Quebec and most likely become the official opposition.
I don't think there is enough time to get any new bills passed and into full effect.

I thought that was OAS and GIS??

Canadians demanding to be entitled to their entitlements.
Fixed

Means-testing any improvements to old age pensions or benefits definitely seems sound to me. I also support modest increases in the retirement age for these benefits, even though that would be against my own personal best interest.
Let me make an amendment to this- something like CPP that’s contributions based on a specific formula shouldn’t be means tested; it’s a public pension based on our contributions from our own earnings. I meant things like OAS/GIS.

The cap for seniors benefits certainly doesn't need to be higher than the take home pay of many people. It can probably be set somewhere under 70K or 60K.

Back