• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Dimsum said:
Got issued a set of TCBs when I turned in a Mk III, and when the lady at the counter looked at my flight suit, she warns me about 5 times not to wear them flying b/c of the non-steel toes and shanks.  Now, call me crazy, but the Mk IIIs don't have them either, and aircrew get those issued if Supply runs out of aircrew boots, right?   ??? 

Please clarify that you were issued TCBs?? Cadpat boots??

Or, were you issued Boots, GP?? Black, look quite like the Wet Weather Boot, but aren't!! <--- highly suspect these GP Boots are what you were issued as an in lieu of item. And yes, the MkIIIs have no steel toes either (and yes -- they are authorized for issue as an in lieu of boot when stock of air crew boots are depleted).

Oops, I meant GPB.  TCB, GPB...so close together...  :-[

Dimsum said:
Oops, I meant GPB.  TCB, GPB...so close together...  :-[

Ha!! Try working where I work where we get to deal with every kind of boot out there ... holy crap over ... I say again ...  :o

MkIIIs
WWBs
BGPs
TCBs
ACBs
STBs
LMBs
FFBs
DBs
STDBs
BRCs
VHHBs

to name a few.  ;)

Dimsum said:
TCB, GPB...so close together...  :-[

... and I was going to say : "Not for her ! ".

(Question of ignorant civy)
Gee, ArmyVern, are  you sure an allowance for boots would work, with so many type ?

Yrys said:
... and I was going to say : "Not for her ! ".

(Question of ignorant civy)
Gee, ArmyVern, are  you sure an allowance for boots would work, with so many type ?

Yes, I am. We already purchase all of them (especially the VHHBs) downtown for purposes of medical chits/custom sizes.

I was issued 2 pair of the Interim Boot....if thats' what its called.
Very comfortable, and takes the orthodics very well. I think we got it right this time

I'm informed by my staff that the interim boots (and the WWB) are a problem for people with small feet.  The upper comes out too far on the toe and limits the amount of bend you can get on the front of your foot....

geo said:
I'm informed by my staff that the interim boots (and the WWB) are a problem for people with small feet.  The upper comes out too far on the toe and limits the amount of bend you can get on the front of your foot....

Also, there's no allowance for different foot sizes (as usual).  For example, if you look at the new ankle boots, on Clothing on Line, some sizes are:

LENGTH  WIDTH 
215          88 
220          90 
225          84 
225          88 
225          92 
225          96 
230          86 
230          90 
230          94 
230          98 

Note that the two smallest lengths have no width variations.  What if I have a 215mm length but only a 84mm width?  I realize they will still get special order boots for people who do not fit the ones in the system, but I tried three different sizes of the WWB and they were all so uncomfortable, I couldn't wear them.  I have heard the interim boot is pretty much the same.  I told the Sup Tech at Clothing stores that I have enough boots anyway.....

Heh... I still have my 38+ year old ankle boots.... resoled & doublesoled + reshod every umpteen years...

PMedMoe said:
Also, there's no allowance for different foot sizes (as usual).  For example, if you look at the new ankle boots, on Clothing on Line, some sizes are:

LENGTH  WIDTH 
215          88 
220          90 
225          84 
225          88 
225          92 
225          96 
230          86 
230          90 
230          94 
230          98 

Note that the two smallest lengths have no width variations.  What if I have a 215mm length but only a 84mm width?  I realize they will still get special order boots for people who do not fit the ones in the system, but I tried three different sizes of the WWB and they were all so uncomfortable, I couldn't wear them.  I have heard the interim boot is pretty much the same.  I told the Sup Tech at Clothing stores that I have enough boots anyway.....

How about I scrounge up the complete list and post it?

In actuality, these things come in 92 sizes -- each length has multiple mm variences in width available. Your sizes that default into Logistikunicorp are the last size of footwear that you were issued via "the system". Ergo the 230/98 size defaults in if you have never before been issued footwear via the system in applicable sizing scale.

If you been issued wet weather boots -- AND they fit you fine ... it'll be the exact same XXX/XX that you'll wear for other footwear.

Gone are the days of 9.5E, 9.5F for example. We now go by mm's and the ranges of sizes available are very much greater than before.

If you fit into stocked boots before -- you most certainly do now.

Actually, Vern, I got those sizes from the entire size list, not just the default list. 
None of the boots I have ever got issued fit properly.  The only ones I ever worried about were the regular combat boots because that's what I wear for the BFT.  They still don't fit well and I make sure to wear proper socks (polypro under and a thick wool sock over) to reduce foot movement and chafing.  I usually get blisters (not always) but have learned to live with it.  Not to mention the addition of Vibram soles at my own expense, but hey, they're my feet, so I want to look after them!
As I said, I have not been issued WWB and don't give a rat's a** if I ever do get them.  I realize there is a "breaking in" period for boots but all three sizes I had on were more like torture tests.

I don't see how they can figure out your size, since almost every boot I have is a different size.  For example:

Combat boot size 2-2.5E
Ankle boot (old) size 5
Mukluks size 4
Nurse's shoes size 6 (never wore 'em, thankfully, they are ugly!)

I'm happy with the three pairs of boots I have and hope they'll last a while.

PMedMoe said:
Actually, Vern, I got those sizes from the entire size list, not just the default list. 
None of the boots I have ever got issued fit properly.  The only ones I ever worried about were the regular combat boots because that's what I had for the BFT.  They still don't fit well and I make sure to wear proper socks (polypro under and a thick wool sock over) to reduce foot movement and chafing.  I usually get blisters (not always) but have learned to live with it.  Not to mention the addition of Vibram soles at my own expense, but hey, they're my feet, so I want to look after them!
As I said, I have not been issued WWB and don't give a rat's a** if I ever do get them.  I realize there is a "breaking in" period for boots but all three sizes I had on were more like torture tests.

I don't see how they can figure out your size, since almost every boot I have is a different size.  For example:

Combat boot size 2-2.5E
Ankle boot (old) size 5
Mukluks size 4
Nurse's shoes size 6 (never wore 'em, thankfully, they are ugly!)

I happy with the three pairs of boots I have and hope they'll last a while.

What defaults in would have been the last "standard" size that you were issued electronicly converted to a near millimeter size, but there may be a millimeter size that is more appropriate for you. Logistikunicorp pulls data from peoplesoft and the CFSS.

Because all of the standard sizes such as 2-2.5E or 5 etc that you've listed above differed from manufacturer to manufacturer, there WAS no standard size for any individual. Much like going to the mall for running shoes. A ladies 9 in Nike = a ladies size 8 in New Balance etc.

That's why we are moving to the millimeter sizing system. There are 92 sizes now -- a much larger range than we had with the old sizing system. Boots vary by mere millimeters.

You should go into clothing stores and have them measure your foot using the millimeter scale, and from there they will give you your appropriate size for use when ordering from Logistikunicorp etc.

For example, if your WWB are a size "41" (the last 4 numbers of the NATO stock number are 0041), call clothing stores and ask them what "0041" converts to in millimeter reading and they will give it to you.

If your WWB fit you properly, you can tell which size to order from Logistik by looking at the tongue of your WWB. My WWB are NSN: 8430-21-918-0018. This equals size 18. On the very bottom of the tongue tag is their mm sizing, which is: 240/90. That is the size that I would order ankle boots from Logistik in. Likewise, if I ever do go to clothing stores to get those dastardly Boots, Interim GP -- I'd walk up to the counter and say "I need a 240/90" -- even if I've never had them issued before because the width and length of my foot in millimeters is not going to change.

If your WWB do not fit you properly: go to clothing and get re-sized and get ones that do. Bottom line is: IF you fit into standard stocked sizes before -- you certainly do now ... they are all covered with the new sizing system, plus more.

I did get sized at clothing stores.  The boots (the three sizes I tried) just don't fit.  Maybe I'm really narrow at the heel, because that's where I find the problem is.  That's also where I get blisters after a ruck march.  :-\
Of course, it doesn't help that clothing stores (where I am) doesn't have all the sizes to try on, either.

PMedMoe said:
I did get sized at clothing stores.  The boots (the three sizes I tried) just don't fit.  Maybe I'm really narrow at the heel, because that's where I find the problem is.  That's also where I get blisters after a ruck march.  :-\
Of course, it doesn't help that clothing stores (where I am) doesn't have all the sizes to try on, either.

Or did your boots stretch? They should be very snug when first issued because they will stretch as broken in. Looseness around the heel can usually be lessened by ensuring you pull the laces nice and tight at the arch and then all the way up to the top. Remember that with the speed lacing -- any looseness at the top of your lacing will travel downwards towards the arch of the foot as you move.

All clothing stores were supposed to have 100% sizing kits 3 years ago -- and if your loc still doesn't ... ... ...  >:( something is dreadfully wrong.

I hope you're not wearing WWB for ruck marchs!! Ouch.  :o

Nope, the boots never stretched, I couldn't wear them long enough for that to occur.

I would never wear WWB for a BFT but I know people that do.  :o

Most people I know got the boots and said they were really comfortable.  Not I.  As I said in an earlier post, I'm not too concerned.
3.gif

PMedMoe said:
Nope, the boots never stretched, I couldn't wear them long enough for that to occur.

I would never wear WWB for a BFT but I know people that do.   :o

Most people I know got the boots and said they were really comfortable.  Not I.  As I said in an earlier post, I'm not too concerned.
3.gif

Go ask for a TD trip from your location to mine. I'll get you into boots that fit --- and spring for a brewskie!!  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Go ask for a TD trip from your location to mine. I'll get you into boots that fit --- and spring for a brewskie!!  ;D

I wish!!!  :D

PMedMoe,
You have indicated the boot sizes that you've listed are for ankle boots and not the GP Boot being discussed.
PMedMoe said:
None of the boots I have ever got issued fit properly. 
Have you been issued GP Boots or is your concern with them hypothetical? 

MCG said:
PMedMoe,
You have indicated the boot sizes that you've listed are for ankle boots and not the GP Boot being discussed.Have you been issued GP Boots or is your concern with them hypothetical? 

The sizes for the new ankle boots are the same as the WWB and the new GP boots.  I have been issued neither WWB or GP so I guess my concern is hypothetical, as you say.  I understand the sizing is the same, so I'm thinking I would have the same problem with the GP as I have had with the WWB.  I have two pairs of combat boots, still in good shape, so no need for the GP boots.

ArmyVern said:
In actuality, these things come in 92 sizes -- each length has multiple mm variences in width available.

Actually, the Mondopoint system has 72 sizes.  Some people argue we should go to 74 sizes.  Watch and shoot on that one.

ArmyVern said:
If you been issued wet weather boots -- AND they fit you fine ... it'll be the exact same XXX/XX that you'll wear for other footwear.

In theory yes.  In practice, it's more complicated, but the WWb size should be the starting point.  Trying the boot with the sock you intend to wear it with is an absolute requirement to ensure proper fitting.  Some people will have the same size in all their footwear, some will have slightly different sizes:  Different manufacturers have different method of creating the boot around the last, materials differ, etc... 

Back