• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

AFAIK they are currently being issued when certain sizes of Mk III are no longer avail.

NFLD Sapper said:
AFAIK they are currently being issued when certain sizes of Mk III are no longer avail.

or by request, or maybe I got lucky in Sept when I exchanged one set of my MKIII's  ;D

OldSolduer said:
The interim MkIII replacement......sorry for not clarifying
Okay.  I think a clarification of sorts is required.  It is a little miss leading to refer to the GP as the "interim Mk III replacement" because the GP exists in the system to fill a purpose of its own.  However, there is a vacuum as the Mk III is no longer produced & the Mk IV (if it will be called that) does not yet exist.  The GP is backfilling this vacuum where new boots are required to be issued.  All this to say, if you have Mk III boots you should expect to wear them as long as they are 'meeting the needs' of your feet & until such time as the actual replacement boot makes its way into the system.

Vern,

I saw a memo posted in my local ASU clothing stores stating that with the introduction of these new GP boots, they will not be doing the whole LPO deal for people who need alternative footwear related to orthotics. The reason cited was that the GP boots come in a larger array of sizes, so there should be no fitting problems.

My question is...does this mean if they can physically jam our insoles into these new boots that we will be forced to wear them? I have a medical chit right now, and as a reservist, I simply pay out of pocket for boots that suit me.

I bring this up also because people in my unit are starting to get jacked for having non mark III/GP's and some higher ups dont seem to really care about medical chits. I've tried to exchange my Mk III's for GP's and can't because they aren't worn out, and well, I don't ever wear them so why would they be.  ???
Sorry it's long winded

popnfresh said:
Vern,

I saw a memo posted in my local ASU clothing stores stating that with the introduction of these new GP boots, they will not be doing the whole LPO deal for people who need alternative footwear related to orthotics. The reason cited was that the GP boots come in a larger array of sizes, so there should be no fitting problems.

My question is...does this mean if they can physically jam our insoles into these new boots that we will be forced to wear them? I have a medical chit right now, and as a reservist, I simply pay out of pocket for boots that suit me.

I bring this up also because people in my unit are starting to get jacked for having non mark III/GP's and some higher ups dont seem to really care about medical chits. I've tried to exchange my Mk III's for GP's and can't because they aren't worn out, and well, I don't ever wear them so why would they be.  ???
Sorry it's long winded

OK,

If the stocked boots (ie the WWB and the GP Boots) accommodate your insoles/orthotics along with your foot --- you WILL be issued them and no boots will be purchased for you downtown. Why should they be?

If the stocked boots (WWB & Boot, GP) do NOT accommodate your orthotic and foot ... boots WILL (still!!) be LPOd for you downtown. <--- You DO still need boots to wear and the CF MUST still provide them to accommodate your foot & orthotic.

Those rules have not changed; that's always been the rule. Pers with orthotics must be fitted with stocked footwear, if stocked footwear can NOT accommodate orthotic with foot, then boots were LPOd for member that could accommodate.

The WW Boots and the GP Boots come in a very large variety of widths and are much deeper than previously stocked footwear. These new boots DO accommodate the vast majority of orthotics with no problem (along with the members foot).

Essentially, because MKIIIs could not accommodate your orthotics ... next time you need to exchange boots ... you will be expected to size into the new boots which are more than capable of accommodating those orthotics (well into the 90% range). There have been an extremely few instances where the new boots could not accommodate and LPO had to be made.

Re the members in your Unit ... if those were the boots they were issued by clothing stores then they most certainly ARE entitled to wear them, and they should have a copy of their chit on both themselves AND their clothing docs. As you have also stated ... clothing stores will NOT exchange those System LPOd boots (or other issued footwear) for them if those LPOd (or other issued) boots are NOT 50% worn, ergo member is NOT entitled to have them exchanged. Member will be switched to Boots GP when his current footwear is worn out and requires exchange.

If your CoC is continuing to give pers grief over this, then the member can always go to clothing stores and have them issue him a "Not Issued Chit" (attached copy below as a sample); that way your CoC can address it's rants about "different footwear and members not in GP Boots" to the appropriate person <--- the Clothing Stores Supervisor, vice the member who is doing absolutely NOTHING wrong. We have chits here that we keep for when troops come in to get something that they require that we will fill out when we can not give them the item (this really helps for kit inspections when supply didn't have an item you were entitled to --- saves on the extras). Perhaps members of your unit will benefit by a trip to clothing to have one done up for them ... (Some supervisors do forget that other rules are at play when it comes to kit which still need to be adhered to, therefore everyone will not magically switch to GPs overnight --- despite their best wishes for them to). There are also cases where members who wear orthotics also wear the MKIII sizes which are still within the system, yet those MKIIIs will not accomodate the orthotics ... and the Boots GP for those sizes will not be sent to clothing for stock until after all the MkIIIs in that size have been depleted. What the hell does your CoC expect a member in this situation to do?? Sometimes --- some people amaze me when they do not consider ALL the circumstances and regulations at play.

As for your CoC not giving two-shits about medical chits -- I can only suggest that the members in question advise the BSurg of that little tidbit to see what he/she thinks about it ... and has to say about it to the CoC.

I've attached a sample chit like the one we hand out here below ...

... & when these custom orders are done, is there a matching UCR on the in-stock boot type?  In order to push the message: "This illustrates that no one boot will meet the need of all soldiers and more selection/choice is required.  This greater variety of footwear options could be provided by a boot allowance or by providing more combat boot styles within the supply system."

... boots should be part of the Logistik supply & distribution system.  Give the soldier a bunch of points with which to dress himself and let him make an informed decision from the equipment available.

Would save lots of headaches IMHO 

I recently purchased one pair each of black SWAT and tan SWATs while on TD in the states, price per pair was $69.99 (vice $100+ in Canada), a small price for comfort and relief.

geo said:
Give the soldier a bunch of points with which to dress himself and let him make an informed decision from the equipment available.
But, have you ever sent in a UCR saying that the boot problem requires a selection of boots against which a soldier could make a decision?

ArmyVern said:
OK,

If the stocked boots (ie the WWB and the GP Boots) accommodate your insoles/orthotics along with your foot --- you WILL be issued them and no boots will be purchased for you downtown. Why should they be?

If the stocked boots (WWB & Boot, GP) do NOT accommodate your orthotic and foot ... boots WILL (still!!) be LPOd for you downtown. <--- You DO still need boots to wear and the CF MUST still provide them to accommodate your foot & orthotic.

Those rules have not changed; that's always been the rule. Pers with orthotics must be fitted with stocked footwear, if stocked footwear can NOT accommodate orthotic with foot, then boots were LPOd for member that could accommodate.

The WW Boots and the GP Boots come in a very large variety of widths and are much deeper than previously stocked footwear. These new boots DO accommodate the vast majority of orthotics with no problem (along with the members foot).

Essentially, because MKIIIs could not accommodate your orthotics ... next time you need to exchange boots ... you will be expected to size into the new boots which are more than capable of accommodating those orthotics (well into the 90% range). There have been an extremely few instances where the new boots could not accommodate and LPO had to be made.

Re the members in your Unit ... if those were the boots they were issued by clothing stores then they most certainly ARE entitled to wear them, and they should have a copy of their chit on both themselves AND their clothing docs. As you have also stated ... clothing stores will NOT exchange those System LPOd boots (or other issued footwear) for them if those LPOd (or other issued) boots are NOT 50% worn, ergo member is NOT entitled to have them exchanged. Member will be switched to Boots GP when his current footwear is worn out and requires exchange.

If your CoC is continuing to give pers grief over this, then the member can always go to clothing stores and have them issue him a "Not Issued Chit" (attached copy below as a sample); that way your CoC can address it's rants about "different footwear and members not in GP Boots" to the appropriate person <--- the Clothing Stores Supervisor, vice the member who is doing absolutely NOTHING wrong. We have chits here that we keep for when troops come in to get something that they require that we will fill out when we can not give them the item (this really helps for kit inspections when supply didn't have an item you were entitled to --- saves on the extras). Perhaps members of your unit will benefit by a trip to clothing to have one done up for them ... (Some supervisors do forget that other rules are at play when it comes to kit which still need to be adhered to, therefore everyone will not magically switch to GPs overnight --- despite their best wishes for them to). There are also cases where members who wear orthotics also wear the MKIII sizes which are still within the system, yet those MKIIIs will not accomodate the orthotics ... and the Boots GP for those sizes will not be sent to clothing for stock until after all the MkIIIs in that size have been depleted. What the hell does your CoC expect a member in this situation to do?? Sometimes --- some people amaze me when they do not consider ALL the circumstances and regulations at play.

As for your CoC not giving two-shits about medical chits -- I can only suggest that the members in question advise the BSurg of that little tidbit to see what he/she thinks about it ... and has to say about it to the CoC.

I've attached a sample chit like the one we hand out here below ...

Thanks Vern, it is appreciated.

MCG said:
But, have you ever sent in a UCR saying that the boot problem requires a selection of boots against which a soldier could make a decision?
Me, WRT the MkIIIs ... nope! Then again, I never had a problem with the MkIIIs.
Me WRT the WWB­.... You Betcha!  I also have a nice 8 inch scar on my right knee to show for it.

Different feet, different arches, different everything should signify that any one product won't work for everyone...

While still in the units, I had many a sapper who had problems with the issued footwear.  We tried to work with the system inasmuch as the system could work.....

Make sure that you have someone reputable and experienced perform the modification (or hell, at least make them guarantee that if they ruin 'em ... THEY'LL replace them). There's an awesome Mat Tech here in Gagetown Clothing who could do this in a heartbeat, but of course he's here & you're there!!  Tongue

That's a great point.

On a (slightly) related note, what do you guys think of the new combat boots?  I just switched in my MarkIIIs for em (I hope I'm not frigging up the names of these things, I always forget) and they are comfortable as hell but I just think they look so damned Mickey Mouse.  I got em because I had knee trouble and they come with the vibram soles standard, but I find myself wishing I had kept my trusty old ones and gotten the soles put on.

I know, I know, boots aren't fashion, it's function that matters, but still.

Point is, opinions on the new ones?

AirCanuck said:
That's a great point.

On a (slightly) related note, what do you guys think of the new combat boots?  I just switched in my MarkIIIs for em (I hope I'm not frigging up the names of these things, I always forget) and they are comfortable as hell but I just think they look so damned Mickey Mouse.  I got em because I had knee trouble and they come with the vibram soles standard, but I find myself wishing I had kept my trusty old ones and gotten the soles put on.

I know, I know, boots aren't fashion, it's function that matters, but still.

Point is, opinions on the new ones?

Yeah, you got the names f'd up.

Everyone is calling them the "new combat boot", but that's a wee bit off.

These boots (Boots, General Purpose [Boots, GP]) are currently being issued as an interim (temporary) replacement for combat boots.

The Boot, Cbt MkIII is eventually being replaced by a Boot, Cbt MkIV --- thus the boots GP are better/usually referred to (in Sup circles) as the "interim combat boot". They are a temp replacement for the Cbt Boot, not the permanent replacement. Hope that makes sense.

ArmyVern said:
Yeah, you got the names f'd up.

Everyone is calling them the "new combat boot", but that's a wee bit off.

These boots (Boots, General Purpose [Boots, GP]) are currently being issued as an interim (temporary) replacement for combat boots.

The Boot, Cbt MkIII is eventually being replaced by a Boot, Cbt MkIV --- thus the boots GP are better/usually referred to (in Sup circles) as the "interim combat boot". They are a temp replacement for the Cbt Boot, not the permanent replacement. Hope that makes sense.

I'll bet they are still the 'interm boot' when I retire in six more years ;) ;D

recceguy said:
I'll bet they are still the 'interm boot' when I retire in six more years ;) ;D

Bet you a beer on it next time we are in the same local vicinty ...

Guess that I owe you one ...  :D

Hey Vern,

I'm a navy type coming out your way this summer for CAP.  I currently have the Mk III's with the vibrum, although it's not the solid sole, just a layer of the cushion was added. 

From your experience would I be better off turning in my Mk III's here (as I have no other army kit) and drawing the interm boots when I get the rest of my kit for the summer over in your shop - or am I better off keeping my III's?

Is the difference more in preference, or are the interm boots better?  Do they have a solid (non stepped) sole?

Thanks in advance for your input.

The interim boots are heaver if that matters to you at all.  Do you have the WWB? if so they are the same mus the gortex

Back