• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

His point is that simplistic slogans/solutions (“down with gatekeepers!”, “build more houses!”) won’t work. When after four years and the Tories have barely begun to fix the problem, people will be really angry and start looking to real honest-to-god Marxists or fascists to “fix” the problem.

Under-promise, over-deliver, have a real solution and don’t sugarcoat how painful and long it will take to fix.
But it's all because of 8 years of Trudeau! Haven't you seen all the tweets? Just get rid of Trudeau, and the problem will balance itself.

His point is that simplistic slogans/solutions (“down with gatekeepers!”, “build more houses!”) won’t work. When after four years and the Tories have barely begun to fix the problem, people will be really angry and start looking to real honest-to-god Marxists or fascists to “fix” the problem.

Under-promise, over-deliver, have a real solution and don’t sugarcoat how painful and long it will take to fix.
LPC sufficiently burned that if the NDP can get their head out their rear-end and elect a decent leader, they'd probably pull ahead for a good while.

Plus they've now had the chance to demonstrate a solid legislative record due to the SCA with the Liberals over the last few years.

What's been done to Canada, whether its housing, military or medicare, was a generational effort. Sure Trudeau gave us the old "hold my beer" and drove us deeper, but these are issues that go back to the 50s and 60s.

Anyone who thinks a PM can right the ship in 1 term, truly doesn't understand the scale of the problem.

Can you imagine if Christia 'I don't own a car but get a personal chauffer' Freeland is the PM? Canada would be even more of a joke domestically and internationally. The LPC are a disaster of a party, from the PM down. Nothing gets accomplished and this country is slowly circling the drain.

Trudeau is the author of his own downfall. A real leader would be drawing talent into the fold to make the team better and grooming the exceptional talent to become the next leader. But all this team did was to force people out who were top performers or had the spine to tell the leader and the PMO that they were making mistakes.

Yes I know that the Chretien and Martin factions had their bitter battles that almost sunk the LPC but there must be a way to lead a party that isn't a toxic dumpster fire in the last years before a new person takes over?

What's been done to Canada, whether its housing, military or medicare, was a generational effort. Sure Trudeau gave us the old "hold my beer" and drove us deeper, but these are issues that go back to the 50s and 60s.

Anyone who thinks a PM can right the ship in 1 term, truly doesn't understand the scale of the problem.
I agree. But as I’m sure you have noticed lately, a lot of voters pour all their hopes and dreams into empty vessel charismatic leaders who promise easy solutions. Those voters become very disillusioned after those leaders fail to live up to their expectations.

So far, I’m not seeing Poilievre trying to dissuade his supporters that this will be easy. He needs to be honest that this will be a long and tortured journey just to fix the housing crisis, never mind all the other disasters facing the Dominion. Otherwise the pitchforks will be for him.

I agree. But as I’m sure you have noticed lately, a lot of voters pour all their hopes and dreams into empty vessel charismatic leaders who promise easy solutions. Those voters become very disillusioned after those leaders fail to live up to their expectations.

So far, I’m not seeing Poilievre trying to dissuade his supporters that this will be easy. He needs to be honest that this will be a long and tortured journey just to fix the housing crisis, never mind all the other disasters facing the Dominion. Otherwise the pitchforks will be for him.

Why, exactly, would anybody of any persuasion who aspires to lead, demotivate potential adherents and supply ammunition and opportunity to their opponents?

It's all cool to talk about policy and ask people to give us something to talk about but why is Trudeau's, or Poilievre's, or even Biden's, fundamental problem any different than that of Zelensky? What do you communicate to whom when and for what purpose?

Infowars continue even in the absence of bullets.

I’ll end this by saying Poilievre and the CPC better have a well thought out plan should they get elected.

If the liberal Left and Right fail to fix this, the voters will elect the illiberal Left or Right who will promise to do so.

I’ll end this by saying Poilievre and the CPC better have a well thought out plan should they get elected.

If the liberal Left and Right fail to fix this, the voters will elect the illiberal Left or Right who will promise to do so.
The reality is that if he shows all of his plan now, the LPC will use it to frighten the sheep. Because fixing the mess that the LPC created is going to be painful for a lot of people. Plus a lot of the goodies given will have to end or be clawed back. That's not a winning thing to talk about.

The CPC don't need to do anything at this point other than act as the opposition to the government. The LPC are self-destructing on their own and doing nothing constructive to improve things. Once an election is called, then I'll worry about things like platforms and policies.

I've said it before, I would not want to part of the Gov that has to come in after the current one.

Austerity is what's needed and like a spoonful of Buckley's, "it tastes awful, but it works".

Its time to get people off the Government teat and back on their own feet.

I've said it before, I would not want to part of the Gov that has to come in after the current one.

Austerity is what's needed and like a spoonful of Buckley's, "it tastes awful, but it works".

It’s time to get people off the Government teat and back on their own feet.
In a federal context what do you see “getting people off the government teat” looking like? Firing a bunch of federal employees and rolling back EI, CPP, and OAS?

Its time to get people off the Government teat and back on their own feet.

Through the 90s, PM Chrétien's government had to clean up and institute austerity spending , non-withstanding his spending on the 1995 Quebec referendum. It can be done, it's not popular or easy.

Back