• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

It's going to have to be clarified once and for all. The upcoming SCOTUS review of Roe v. Wade will most definitely spill over into Canada and bring the issue front and centre.
Roe v Wade was more about Constitutional authority vs States' rights than it was about the substantive law.

Pretty smart, makes her interim leader during a minority govt. Takes her out of the running for leader before the next election.
Pretty smart, if she does a good job like Rona did and she gains goodwill within the party like Rona did, she can probably actually win the next leadership struggle after the party turfs the leader for failing to take down Trudeau and maybe Canadians are actually ready for change by then.

Pretty smart, if she does a good job like Rona did and she gains goodwill within the party like Rona did, she can probably actually win the next leadership struggle after the party turfs the leader for failing to take down Trudeau and maybe Canadians are actually ready for change by then.
So 12 years or so? Don’t forget the in between infighting the CPC will be doing.

Because Canadian Law makes so much sense...
It actually makes sense. Some people might not like it, however. Once you create criminal liability for harming a fetus, you create a wedge into the current position on abortion that the vast majority of Canadians support. Canada's abortion stance is one of the most successful non-laws on record. No politician wants to touch it and that means no one will criminalize harming a fetus. That said, almost always that a fetus is harmed the mother is also harmed and the courts can take it out on the offender for that.

I don't vote in Canada anymore - so until the invasion no one needs to listen to my opinion.
Tell me, after the invasion, how many electoral college seats will the provinces get? Do you really want another 38 million Democrats in the country?

:unsure:

That’s not how that works lol.

Culture bleeds across borders. Larger countries exert more pressure than smaller ones. You'll notice that American trends are affecting Canada more than vice versa. Watch which way culture shifts in the US if you want some idea of "how it works" in the future.

Culture bleeds across borders. Larger countries exert more pressure than smaller ones. You'll notice that American trends are affecting Canada more than vice versa. Watch which way culture shifts in the US if you want some idea of "how it works" in the future.
Disagree. Canadian culture has roots in American counter culture (ie loyalist Americans who fled to Canada, war of 1812 etc etc) not to mention the whole French Canada thing which takes its culture cues from Europe rather than south.

Death penalty
Guns
Abortion

Just a few things that Canadians differ on and for the most part are smug about that fact.

Now, TV, movies music, litterature, art, theatre etc etc. That’s a whole different thing but that world tends to be more progressive so easily adopted or embraced by Canadians.

I dunno... Trump's presidency sure seemed to have an effect on our culture. It's like we're exactly 10 years behind the US in polarization and what used to be fringe is gaining enough momentum to elect a Trump of their own.

I dunno... Trump's presidency sure seemed to have an effect on our culture. It's like we're exactly 10 years behind the US in polarization and what used to be fringe is gaining enough momentum to elect a Trump of their own.
I first got that feeling in the sixties / seventies when National Defence turned into a business model some ten years after McNamara introduced systems analysis as a decision making process in the US.

We seem to lag about a half to a full decade in many trends. Education is another big example where we seem to introduce learning concepts that have run for a while in the States.

🍻

I first got that feeling in the sixties / seventies when National Defence turned into a business model some ten years after McNamara introduced systems analysis as a decision making process in the US.

We seem to lag about a half to a full decade in many trends. Education is another big example where we seem to introduce learning concepts that have run for a while in the States.

🍻
Not always good to be on the cutting edge...

To an extent. Trump had an effect on the world regardless of what people might think. Populists aren’t new. We actually have our own running the country.

But that “culture” already existed here.

Peter: the political career that won't die.

Pierre: he's got less on his resume outside of politics than Scheer did!

Abortion has been legal in Canada for an entire generation; it's really a regressive vice a conservative position to roll back on that. Similarly pretty widely accepted you are born gay where conversion therapy is based on it being a wrong choice and driven by religion (and massively harmful).

Both items are religion based opinions where they are trying to enforce their morality on others, which is why there is such a massive pushback from people on them being put forward as laws, and why the so-cons in the party will continue to cripple the CPC as long as they are such a vocal part of the agenda (just like some of the more strident communist postions from NDP members turn off a large portion of voters).

Harper was successful by fairly ruthlessly clamping down on that wing of the reform party and focusing on economics and large scale strategic type issues. Scheer tried to soft play them which didn't work, and O'Toole tried to tell them all something to make them happy which didn't work either (and looks like it just pissed everyone off).

If the CPC wants success it has to take pretty firm stances as a party against some of these SOCON issues, but will take a few cycles for a lot of people to actually believe it's not just lip service.

Peter: the political career that won't die.

Pierre: he's got less on his resume outside of politics than Scheer did!
He’s a career politician and quite litterally has done nothing outside of politics.

He’s a career politician and quite litterally has done nothing outside of politics.

I do believe hes been a lawyer

In 1993, MacKay accepted an appointment as Crown Attorney for the Central Region of Nova Scotia. He prosecuted cases at all levels, including youth and provincial courts as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. MacKay has publicly stated that the major impetus for his entry into federal politics was his frustrations with the shortcomings in the justice system, particularly his perception that the courts do not care about the impact crime has on victims.

Back