• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

They gave out the SSI yesterday to 10 pers randomly selected in the dockyard.  I had a close look at the badge, the cloth and metal badges are done very nicely. As well there is another on line calculator you can access. Go to the monitor mass page on the Marlant webpage and click on the anchor symbol, it goes straight to the new database. It hasn't been officially rolled out yet, and they have it sort of hidden.

Looks good to me - I'm just waiting for my "Slept in a ditch/hole Service Insignia".

I've got a couple weeks on a U.S. Navy Gator?  Can I get that time accredited?

Infanteer said:
Looks good to me - I'm just waiting for my "Slept in a ditch/hole Service Insignia".

I've got a couple weeks on a U.S. Navy Gator?  Can I get that time accredited?

No doubt you guys are doing just that ::)

Occam said:
I didn't get my invite. 

I guess handing over a silver doodad to an Air Force type wouldn't make for a good photo op, eh?  ;D
Sorry, it's just you :)
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/navy_images/cms_images/news_photos/IS2011-8000-01.jpg

Rheostatic said:
Sorry, it's just you :)
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/navy_images/cms_images/news_photos/IS2011-8000-01.jpg

What?  I even showered last week.  ;)

Chief Stoker said:
No doubt you guys are doing just that ::)

Not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but the Combat Action Insignia got killed. I'm not a big fan of giving bling to people who are just doing their jobs though.

*shrug*

I didn't ask for it, but if they're giving it, and I'm supposed to have it on my uniform, I'll wear it.

The thing that pleased me more than anything in recent times WRT Naval uniforms was (finally) the addition of a Canadian Flag to the shoulder of our NCD Jacket.

NS

NavyShooter said:
The thing that pleased me more than anything in recent times WRT Naval uniforms was (finally) the addition of a Canadian Flag to the shoulder of our NCD Jacket.

I don't see many people in NCDs.... but it baffles me that you guys didn't have a Canadian flag on there!

PuckChaser said:
it baffles me that you guys didn't have a Canadian flag on there!

That's because we all wear two nice shoulder boards that say CANADA. In the Navy, we expect everybody can read :) .

Oldgateboatdriver said:
That's because we all wear two nice shoulder boards that say CANADA. In the Navy, we expect everybody can read :) .

I forgot that everyone in the world can read English and doesn't identify countries by the flag they have on their person.  :)

Well, the people we let onboard our ships all do ;) . And when we go in harbours where they don't all, we usually go with a great big grey thing that has a nice red and white flag at the stern and a little red mapple leaf on the funnel - just in case they can't figure it out.

All this said, I kind of like the look of the NCD with the little flag too, and the little flag we sometimes put on the back of our baseball caps.

I dug out my Tilley hat that has one on it even.  :)

Maybe I'll even get to wear it!

NS

Chief Stoker said:
They gave out the SSI yesterday to 10 pers randomly selected in the dockyard.  I had a close look at the badge, the cloth and metal badges are done very nicely. As well there is another on line calculator you can access. Go to the monitor mass page on the Marlant webpage and click on the anchor symbol, it goes straight to the new database. It hasn't been officially rolled out yet, and they have it sort of hidden.

and according to the powers in charge of this project the calculator still is not official.  By the way I checked it, fixed one thing by moving a line of code and then realized there was a bigger problem.  It drops your start and end month giving you zero credit for them.  For example enter 7713 18 Feb 2000 to 16 Jun 2002 and it will not show you the credit for Feb and Jun.  In this case Jun is not a problem as ATHABI was in refit but for Feb there is time missing.

Chief Stoker said:
Go to the monitor mass page on the Marlant webpage and click on the anchor symbol, it goes straight to the new database. It hasn't been officially rolled out yet, and they have it sort of hidden.

It must be hidden well;  I can't even find the Monitor/MASS page on the Marlant DWAN site...

I am not sure what Chief Stoker means either. I don't see any kind of 'link' there. That said, if your unit is not utilizing MM yet, you will need to see your clerks. I just left CFNES where we used it and we all had accounts. I get to Ottawa (ironically) and we still are not using it though I believe CFSU is. I just sat with the clerk and unless you are familiar with some of the MM tools, it is hopeless to try to talk someone through it.

Pat in Halifax said:
I am not sure what Chief Stoker means either. I don't see any kind of 'link' there. That said, if your unit is not utilizing MM yet, you will need to see your clerks. I just left CFNES where we used it and we all had accounts. I get to Ottawa (ironically) and we still are not using it though I believe CFSU is. I just sat with the clerk and unless you are familiar with some of the MM tools, it is hopeless to try to talk someone through it.

If anybody wants to PM with their email, I can send them the database the online one was based on, its a lot easier to use.  As for it not being official, its  is what the ships and shore units are being told to use. When i'm at work tomorrow i'll post the link and you can access it yourself.

Chief Stoker said:
If anybody wants to PM with their email, I can send them the database the online one was based on, its a lot easier to use.  As for it not being official, its  is what the ships and shore units are being told to use. When i'm at work tomorrow i'll post the link and you can access it yourself.
I don't think the question was about the ship's sea days database but more about the Monitor Mass access. All I know is that the tab within MM is an anchor!
Funny enough, I used the database and got 1728 but Monitor Mass says 1851. When I get the chance, I will check the one big discrepancy which was my time on TOR ('98 - '02)

Pat in Halifax said:
I don't think the question was about the ship's sea days database but more about the Monitor Mass access. All I know is that the tab within MM is an anchor!
Funny enough, I used the database and got 1728 but Monitor Mass says 1851. When I get the chance, I will check the one big discrepancy which was my time on TOR ('98 - '02)

From what I have seen MM is definitely not correct in a lot of cases, in my case there was 5 years of seatime missing. Once you verify MM from the database, MPRR, ATP's and whatever documents you have to prove your time its a pretty simple process to update MM. Its also set up that whoever edits your page in MM, it records who made the change.

It might be easier just to count up the total # of tots of rum issued during a cruise, divide by the number of people on board, then enter it in the ship's log  ;D

Occam said:
It must be hidden well;  I can't even find the Monitor/MASS page on the Marlant DWAN site...

Go to this link at the N1 site in MARLANT http://halifax.mil.ca/N1/N1/monitor_mass.htm. Go to the heading "monitor mass updates" and click on the anchor symbol across from it to access the database.

Back