• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Pusser said:
CFSU(O) Clothing Stores doesn't even have any in stock.

I'm shocked.  ;)

It's common knowledge that there are no Navy or Air Force personnel in Ottawa, therefore no need to stock any of their kit at Clothing Stores.

How did you find out that they didn't have any?  They don't answer their phones or e-mail....you must've made the cross-border trek, only to be disappointed at wasting a half day to find out.  ;D

Occam said:
I'm shocked.  ;)

It's common knowledge that there are no Navy or Air Force personnel in Ottawa, therefore no need to stock any of their kit at Clothing Stores.

How did you find out that they didn't have any?  They don't answer their phones or e-mail....you must've made the cross-border trek, only to be disappointed at wasting a half day to find out.  ;D

I did indeed trek across the border (no passport required ;D), but was over there for other reasons as well, so it was not a complete waste of time.  Thanks for caring. :)

Occam said:
I'm shocked.  ;)

Let's be fair to clothing stores at NDHQ - they run out of most Army issue items as well.

dapaterson said:
Let's be fair to clothing stores at NDHQ - they run out of most Army issue items as well.

LOL!

They moved from the bowels of Pearkes to the NPB building to vastly increase their supply of empty shelf space.  >:D

Easy on the storesmen folks.  ;D

One on the other side of that counter and you may just gain some understand lol

Which storesman?  There are only two there.  :) 

Eight wickets, but only two storesmen.  For the entire NCR.  Career Manager, are you listening?  ;D

Okay, I'll stop derailing the SSI thread now.  ;)

Halifax Tar said:
Easy on the storesmen folks.  ;D

One on the other side of that counter and you may just gain some understand lol

Who's picking on the Sup Techs?  I'm picking on the item managers who don't order sufficient stock for the CF, resulting in bases not having adequate stock to support their dependencies.

But as long as we buy "shiny & new" and don't divest the old, we'll have inadequate National Procurement funding and continue to be short of socks & spares.

dapaterson said:
Who's picking on the Sup Techs?  I'm picking on the item managers who don't order sufficient stock for the CF, resulting in bases not having adequate stock to support their dependencies.

But as long as we buy "shiny & new" and don't divest the old, we'll have inadequate National Procurement funding and continue to be short of socks & spares.

To be fair, it's not even the item managers responsible for this.  They send the requirements to PWGSC and THEN the fun begins (or not - maybe that's why it takes so long).

This is currently going through my CoC but I wanted to ask here too and see if anyone is in the same situation, or has any other info.

My monitor mass has finally been updated with all of the paperwork that I sent in regarding the SSI.  I show 365+ days.  However, my BOR does not know where to go from this now.  As well, stores here has no insignia and has not heard about it.

Is anyone aware how they are being given to bases such as mine where there is only a handful of people to receive them?

airmich said:
This is currently going through my CoC but I wanted to ask here too and see if anyone is in the same situation, or has any other info.

My monitor mass has finally been updated with all of the paperwork that I sent in regarding the SSI.  I show 365+ days.  However, my BOR does not know where to go from this now.  As well, stores here has no insignia and has not heard about it.

Is anyone aware how they are being given to bases such as mine where there is only a handful of people to receive them?

PM incoming.

I got mine the morning we sailed from our last port.  Ship's company fallen in on the flight deck, SSI recipients on the Stbd Side, others on the Port. 

Not many gold, a few of us silver, a bunch of bronze, and lots of gun-metal.

Good times. 

NS

As a Airman once posted to  HMCS Saguanay, I find it a little frustrating trying to figure out how to Calculate sea time when My MPRR/490a  dose not have all the ships I sailed on and my UER was un kept when I was away on the great lakes cruise.  The older ships time at sea don't seem to add up.  I was the Navyeoman and the Chart I had shows the dates in each port but Official records don't correspond to the trips.  I am looking at gunmetal with 410 days on record. I think that's how it works out!  Any way I myself think The SSI is a good thing I will go back to sea again within the next few years before I retire and like anything else Time in and experience should be acknowledged if not recognized.  Remember the old saying TI. 

For all those crowing (or not) about their SSI, we're rank amateurs when set aside this hairy bag.  :salute:

Her Majesty's saltiest sea dog: Royal Navy sailor completes 33 years of service with an incredible THIRTEEN years at sea

By Anthony Bond

He joined the Royal Navy as a fresh-faced 16-year-old because he wanted to travel the world.  And after completing 33 years service and visiting more than 30 countries, Leading Logistician John Wicking is proud to have made history by notching up an incredible 5,100 days at sea, believed to be an Armed Forces record.

Full story and photos at link.

article link

Wow! That Is impressive. Leading Logistician too eh... His trade badge looked like supply to me. Don't they wear a star type badge in th RN ?

NavalMoose said:
Wow, 33 years in and already a killick ;D

Things are a little different in the RN.  They have fewer ranks than we do.  Promotion to leading seaman is not automatic.  His next rank would be petty officer (of which there is only one grade), immediately followed by Chief Petty Officer.  In short, there is little comparison between an RN leading seaman and an RCN one, other than the title.

Things are a little different in the RN.  They have fewer ranks than we do.  Promotion to leading seaman is not automatic.  His next rank would be petty officer (of which there is only one grade), immediately followed by Chief Petty Officer.  In short, there is little comparison between an RN leading seaman and an RCN one, other than the title

Yes I know, I was a killick in the RN and a MS in the RCN.  I meant that he hasn't shown much ambition to go any higher and make a better pay rate. Thanks for the lesson on navy rates/ranks though ;D

Impressive indeed.  Checking my records the longest period I could find for the people I calculated the SSI time for was 4 years.

Nothing wrong with the rank either in my books.  If he was happy at that level, which I assume he was as he did continue to serve, then good for him.

I've known drivers in the CF that didn't want to be promoted as that was all they wanted to do was drive.  Promotions put you in the office. I also knew an infantry Cpl that was happy there; joined at 17 and retired at 55.  Sometimes people stay not because they can't advance but because they don't want to.  They like being the hands on man vice the paper pushing manager.

jollyjacktar said:
For all those crowing (or not) about their SSI, we're rank amateurs when set aside this hairy bag.  :salute:

I'll guess that is a compliment in navy lingo?  :o

33 yrs is alot of svc, and 13 years is alot of time on the big grey circle IMO.  :salute:

Back