• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religion in the Canadian Forces & in Canadian Society

Chop said:
When I was told to remove my headdress is was to say a prayer, not a tradition of removing my beret to go in a mess. I was never comfortable removing it for prayer, in fact it pissed me off that I had to listen to a prayer when I did not pray.

And you're telling me you've never had to follow orders from an NCO or Officer which pissed you off?  Wether it be doing pushups in the mud, being yelled at to keep running when you just want to give up, or being told to get your ankles together while said NCO reams you a new one over whatever shortcoming you may have.  There's plenty of times in my military career where I've been uncomfortable and pissed off.  We're in the fucking ARMY!  What'd you think it was gonna be like, hand holding and singing songs?  Free pedicures every wednesday?  Give me a break.  Wether or not you have a good reason for feeling that way, being uncomfortable or pissed off doesn't give you the right to refuse an order.

I understand and agree with those that have equated this to respect. But I also can't help but wonder how the response in here would have been different if a superior had ordered a soldier not to attend church because "it wouldn't hurt him"

You can't have it both ways, either you are tolerant or you are not, and as I've said before that tolerance has to include those that do not believe or who abhor religion as this individual appears to.

48Highlander said:
And you're telling me you've never had to follow orders from an NCO or Officer which pissed you off?   Wether it be doing pushups in the mud, being yelled at to keep running when you just want to give up, or being told to get your ankles together while said NCO reams you a new one over whatever shortcoming you may have.

I have actually been pissed off many times in the military, but my point is I understand how the guy feels, I get pissed off every time I have to do prayer. And as I said I believe there is a place for padres in the forces beside prayer. All I am saying is that refusing to do a push up is refusing to do the order from an NCO, if you do not believe in doing the push ups then maybe you do not believe in the forces and maybe you should leave the forces. I did not join the forces to pray and every time I am told to pray I am pissed off, I feel that I am being forced to conform to the majority and I am agnostic. But like I said I go through the motions, on rremembrance even more so because of what the event is about, it is not about prayer but a parade to remember our fallen brothers.

I am just saying to think of how this guy feels and I am proud he stuck to his convictions and was proved right, maybe he is braver than me. And again I have no respect for his supirior for trying to force him to go and pray.

I guess to me, i just dont understand what the big deal is. So he's not religious, just take the damn hat off for the few minutes they pray. You dont even have to pay attention. I am not religious, I dont believe in god but I was invited to hanukah celebrations this year and part of that is wearing a scarf on your head, so I wore the scarf out of respect for my jewish friends. I think this guy was making a big deal out of nothing. Perhaps he needed a little attention, maybe a visit to the shrink would clear him up.

Chop said:
I have actually been pissed off many times in the military, but my point is I understand how the guy feels, I get pissed off every time I have to do prayer. And as I said I believe there is a place for padres in the forces beside prayer. All I am saying is that refusing to do a push up is refusing to do the order from an NCO, if you do not believe in doing the push ups then maybe you do not believe in the forces and maybe you should leave the forces. I did not join the forces to pray and every time I am told to pray I am pissed off, I feel that I am being forced to conform to the majority and I am agnostic. But like I said I go through the motions, on rremembrance even more so because of what the event is about, it is not about prayer but a parade to remember our fallen brothers.

I am just saying to think of how this guy feels and I am proud he stuck to his convictions and was proved right, maybe he is braver than me. And again I have no respect for his supirior for trying to force him to go and pray.

Well, I guess I must be unusual or something because I've never been told to pray.  I've been told to remove my headdress.  I've been told to sit in a church.  I've listened to lots of prayers and sat through many a song.  But never have I once been ordered to pray, prostrate myself, take communion, or sing a religious song.  If taking off my cover when entering the mess doesn't offend me, it's certainly not going to offend me when I have to do it during a service.  And if sitting through a lecture on the rules of engagement for the 573rd and a half time isn't going to offend me, then listening to a preacher talk about God certainly won't either.

I am curious as to why it is of distaste to you to remove your headdress during Rememberance Day (not to beat a dead horse or anything).  You are not removing your headdress in any way for prayer, it's for rememberance, a moment of silence for those to just think, not pray, to think.  It is out of respect, not for religion.
  I have never been told to pray, I have on a few occasions been given the option of attending church services while on course, however it has never EVER been manditory and no one looks down on you for your decisions.  I am not religious, which shouldn't be relevant in the military at all, especially in Canada.  Canada is a country rich with diversity and multiculturalism, and before last year I had never been to a Rememberance Day ceremony where I was actually offended.  My unit went to a civilian service (change of pace from the usual downtown Vancouver Victory Square ceremony), and the padres went on and on and on about how we were there because of all that God had done for us, and how God allowed the men to fight for his truths, and they fought for the true spirit of God and his overall path for everyone on Earth.  Rememberance Day should not be centered around any particular religion, it should encompass everyone's thoughts and feelings.  I've rambled on about that for far too long I think.

Overall, I believe that if someone tells me I should attend any kind of religious service, I will not be rude, I will be respectful, I do not agree with others pushing their religion on me, and I will tell them that fact, but if I have no choice, I'm not gonna put up a stink about it, I'll do what I have to do out of respect for others, and move on.

I think the issue here comes down to one of conflicting values. Interestingly enough, as a student of political science and law, Canadians as a whole have recently been faced with an onslaught of confusion and confliction when it comes to nailing down common mores and values.  (Someone else mentioned same sex marriage, as an example....)

While I respect much of what you all have had to say on the subject, I still disagree with some of it, and I'd probably have some issues with having to sit around listening to a sermon on it.... but I digress.

my tags said (well still do) NRE. When I recited the "oath" on joining, I chose the non religious one, sans-bible. Ive spoken with Padres, never on a religious or metaphysical level. Rememberance Day to me has always been about a day for REMEMBERANCE .... The name in and of itself does not invoke religious thoughts for me.

Alright.. lets look at why we salute.  "You salute the commission, not the person" is what Ive heard so often. Usually true, since often you dont even know who you are saluting, but in the best of times, often not. Effectively, you salute because it is the respectful thing to do. You respect that person's position as a leader in your organization, and respect the responsabilities they have accepted. Whether they fulfill their end of the bargain is unfortunately up to them, but in any event, you are exercising respect for someone else, who you may disagree with on a very highly personal level.

Effectively what we are looking at here is a microcosmic evolution of the old liberal-democratic debate.  liberalism and democracy are entirely two differnt ideologies, and they rarely coexist without significant upheaval.

Turning to our illustrious Prime Minister, on questionning regarding a potential referendum on same-sex marriage, the PM expounded on why such a referendum would  be counter productive to the principles the Charter is based on. Democratic, sure. Majority rule. But what about the minority?

Ok...so then we get to the military. Definitely not a democracy.

YOu know, when I sat in those QR&O lectures, and then got an ethics lecture, I didn't really have all that much problem with the idea that as a commissioned officer I shouldn't also be heavily involved in politics. Did I really like my "rights" being a little quashed?  No. But as the ethics professor pointed out - I volunteered for the military.

Can I vote? Damn right. But is voting a purely political action? Does my vote for Harper because I think he will bolster the military mean I agree with his entire platform? Is my one vote the equivalent of running for office in my spare time when not commanding troops? 

The military (along with peace officers and corrections officers) represent the government's monopoly on the use of force. As such, the military is expected to be impartial with respect to how it EXECUTES the orders of the duly elected government. This delves deep into the whole principle of following orders.  Shoot, what if I don't want to be deployed to Afghanistan? What if I think they should be left alone to figure it out themselves, and that I feel that a great minority of Canadians agree with me? I suppose I shouldn't have agreed to be an agent of the Canadian state then, should I?

Look... I personally do not agree with Padres dressing up in full religious garb when addressing formed troops. I also think that I can stand for 20 minutes and respectfully support the beliefs of my fallen comrades.  I think the tribunal has confused the public acknowledgement for one of religious acknowledgement rather than support for the beliefs of others.

As military members, I would expect Canada's Forces would represent tolerance to the world, personally one of the things I think Canada represents beyond all else to the world. We are the troops that go out and talk to the people, we are the ones that can proudly wear our flag around the world, and have curious people ask about our homeland with interest... and we are the people who are much more often to modest to talk just about ourselves and instead curiously interrogate others about their homelands, and welcome them to stop in when they travel within our borders.

Should I be ordered to listen to a sermon, for the sake of listening to a sermon? No. Should religious-military ceremonies be based on one majoritary religion only? No. Should I be ordered to stand beside by comrades (Majority or minority) and salute their beliefs? No. I should do it willingly.

Just my .02 cents.

Minority, majority, progressive, conservative...

I have noticed that progressives don't particularly care whether a desired degree of change is obtained by majority or minority means, and that they become decidedly conservative about the policy area once their ship has come in.

I give up.

I think the guy was wrong to do what he did, period.  It has NOTHING to do with religion, and it has EVERYTHING to do with respect for others. 

As for standing up for himself, bully for him.  I hope I don't get a warning for this (probably will), but I think all the officer did was prove what an a**hole he is.

"I think the guy was wrong to do what he did, period.  It has NOTHING to do with religion, and it has EVERYTHING to do with respect for others."   The PC/SS have NO RESPECT!

As for standing up for himself, bully for him.  I hope I don't get a warning for this (probably will), but I think all the officer did was prove what an a**hole he is.
  Attracting attention to himself was merely self serving.  I would quess that it was probably calculated ahead of time.  There was likely other issues between these two people prior to this.  It wasn't an act of bravery of any sort, as in todays PC world if you violate traditional values, particularly religion, you are classified as some sort of crusader ( OH, another PIC word).  It takes much more resolve to confess that you believe in the traditional Christian tenets of your forefathers than the other.

The assesment of the OIC is probably accurate and that may have precipitated the incident.  However, I will admit that 'in my younger days', I reacted to situations differently than I would now.  ( I've worked in a high risk occupation for over 36 yrs and have been for the majority of that time in positions of authority.  I've made lots of mistakes!)

Well, to muddy the waters a bit... I've been tossing a scenario around in my mind. Now that we have pried the lid off of Pandora's Box....

Set aside the Christian/Atheist/Agnostic for a moment - there are varying degrees of commitment/faith within a denomination. For example, I'm an Anglican. Like most denominations, some Anglicans go to church every Sunday, some go regularly, but not every Sunday; some only go on Easter, Christmas, etc.  Is it that much of a stretch (now) that forcing someone to a church parade, or whatever - may exceed his preferred degree of participation? Is that the same as making a Hindu attend a Baptist service? I can see Gunner Bloggins making the argument now that "Yes, Sir - I am a Christian, but my personal faith choice is to only attend formal services once per month, and I have already been to Church this month. It is my right to be excused from participating". I'm not saying it has merit - just saying that I don't think it is much of a stretch from the current argument(s).

as a non christian let me put my 2 cents in too . the line is LET us pray it doesnt say to whom . the padre prays to their gods and i pray to mine . doesnt matter that mine make war not peace or do they make peace through war . ? but thats neither here nor there. the head dress removal well now that ive done a little more then just an ex here and there.{roto 0-1 tours} and been in a war making zone  i respect what the vets did . the moment of silence is for rememberance of what they did . after knowing that one of my high school teachers went over the hill at vimy and now knowing what fortitude that musta take to mearly make it to that point  i will certanly take my hat off to them i had a vetrearan of many years service but peace time service salute me on rememberance day because he put the fact of my uniform together. he saw the rack of medals AND the CinC pin which has only been given to ground troops and figured i did OP APPOLLO and saluted me and thanked me . given that if just changed uniform and and was at the time in a navy uniform the kicker was that i had no trade badges. he put all this together and saluted. when i think of NOV 11 i dont put myself in that catagory it was always marching as a formation not putting my self into the picture like that. I'VE always done it for the WW1 WW2 Korea etc vets not myself but in honouring them we honour ourselves. but back to the track i am not a Christian but the padres are  , they are also SUPPOSED to be trained in social working in the milatary needs . so it doesnt always have to be about religion  just problems . ive taalked to them and the matters of religion were brought up merely as a way that they found guidance not me  the explain things the way they understand and then let YOU make up your mind .  :salute:

YOU TAKE YOUR COVER OFF IN THE MESS,YOU TAKE IT OFF AT MOM'S HOUSE, SO TAKE IT OFF IN THE FATHER'S HOUSE. HE WON'T FORCE YOU TO PRAY,SO NO MAN HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL YOU TO PRAY. JUST RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF THOSE WHO WANT TO.
NO ATHEISTS IN FOXHOLES,YA KNOW.

P.S.  YES,I AM A CHRISTIAN!

Gunner - if it's all the same to you, we can do without the caps  :)

On the internet, it signifies "yelling"... silly I know, but when in Rome

Sorry,Muskrat. I,m still learning about computers and the email thing. I'll try to remember to speak softly and keep the big stick in my tank hangar.

LF(CMO) said:
It takes much more resolve to confess that you believe in the traditional Christian tenets of your forefathers than the other.

Are you saying it takes more resolve to state your beliefs in the "traditional Christian tenets of your forefathers" than to state you are an atheist?

Really?!?! How much resolve does it take to go along with the majority and the comfortable, "normal" way of things? Not near as much as it takes to take a minority, unpopular position such as being an atheist.

Look at the posts on this thread, thiests demanding he show respect for the beliefs of others. What about others showing respect for his beliefs? I don't recall reading where the Lt said to hell with veterans and those who have fallen, he just objected to the religious nature of the occasion. I wish I had the balls he had and refused to enter the church at the end of the parade for the ceremony at my units Remembrance Day events. Of course, being that it was usually about -20 with the wind howling in Banff maybe I would have just ducked into the foyer  ;)

It is too easy to blast him for not following orders and tell him to shut up and soldier on. Nothing ever changes until someone speaks up against the way it always was and makes people stop and think. You don't have to be an athiest to think that it's time for some things to change since Canada is no longer a nation of christian soldiers marching onward. And it's not like the order he refused was to board an enemy ship or charge a machine gun post - no battles or lives were going to be lost. It was a ceremonial parade that had aspects in it that don't belong in a modern military.

[quote author=gunner56]JUST RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF THOSE WHO WANT TO. NO ATHEISTS IN FOXHOLES,YA KNOW.[/quote]

As I mentioned before, I'm a little tired of the majority theists demanding their rights be respected while ignoring those who have differing views. As for the second statement, it is really too stupid to bother replying to, so I won't.

P.S. Yes, I am an atheist  :salute:

So be it,sigpig. Those who don't believe in prayer have indicated that all others MUST respect their rights,so why can't they (including yourself) respect ours?

gunner56 said:
So be it,sigpig. Those who don't believe in prayer have indicated that all others MUST respect their rights,so why can't they (including yourself) respect ours?

You do not get it, we have to respect yours. We have to respect your views or risk the wrath, either being charged or being a non-conforming individual.

gunner56 said:
Those who don't believe in prayer have indicated that all others MUST respect their rights,so why can't they (including yourself) respect ours?
Which of your rights have been restricted and how?

Back