• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
Maybe we should stop talking about trump in Canadian politics unless it's directly related to policy and affecting Canada.

That might be like talking about the Canadian economy and leaving the US out of it. IMHO Trump already has iconic meaning for people on both sides of the political spectrum in Canada. Two somewhat weird but public examples:

[urlhttp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/zabel-hat-decision-1.4285487][/url]

and

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-city-council-trump-hat-1.3860648

I think that to some Canadians he is The Fourth Horseman of Fascism, while to others he is The Whipper of Liberals. He is part of the dialogue now. But, how about this:

"the first one to mention Trump loses"

Agreed but I was talking more about the "just like Trump lol" type comments.

The intense desire of the Liberal and NDP parties in Canada to try to shoehorn Conservative leaders into "evil American Republican" comparisons is just an attempt at character assassination and to control the media message about those Tory leaders. It happened with Harper as he was constantly compared to Bush Jr, Ford to Trump, and Scheer to being "evil Harper lite". It's the same identity politics that the left uses to control the vote right down to the smallest sub-sub-sub minority. Its almost at the point of Goodwin's law, where if you bring out a Trump comparison, you've just jumped the shark on any credibility your arguments had.

Mike: It's incredibly hard to figure out whether you're agreeing or disagreeing when you're posting a non-committal one liner and a Google link that looks at quick glance that you're agreeing with Altair.

PuckChaser said:
The intense desire of the Liberal and NDP parties in Canada to try to shoehorn Conservative leaders...
I'll stop you right there.

This wouldn't be happening with Elliot or Mulroney.

The PCs decided to pick the most polarizing figure as their leader, this is what happens when they do that.

To top it off, I did not say Doug was like Donald in every sense, I said Doug was like Donald in that sense. Both talk a good game about suing people for things they say, both fail to execute.

PuckChaser said:
The intense desire of the Liberal and NDP parties in Canada to try to shoehorn Conservative leaders into "evil American Republican" comparisons is just an attempt at character assassination and to control the media message about those Tory leaders. It happened with Harper as he was constantly compared to Bush Jr, Ford to Trump, and Scheer to being "evil Harper lite". It's the same identity politics that the left uses to control the vote right down to the smallest sub-sub-sub minority. Its almost at the point of Goodwin's law, where if you bring out a Trump comparison, you've just jumped the shark on any credibility your arguments had.

Mike: It's incredibly hard to figure out whether you're agreeing or disagreeing when you're posting a non-committal one liner and a Google link that looks at quick glance that you're agreeing with Altair.
Great point, Puckchaser.

PuckChaser said:

Great point.

Why isn't Trump compared to Rob Ford?  Lets be honest, this whole thing started in TO blew into the US and then blew back here...  To think we haven't been populist is ignorant of our history.

As for those who regret not signing up to vote, don't worry about it.  I tried, they took my money and didn't mail me my login/password info in time, like thousands of others.  Pathetic.  Green it is this year, at least they have some conservative policies in their platform.

PuckChaser said:

Underway said:
Why isn't Trump compared to Rob Ford?  Lets be honest, this whole thing started in TO blew into the US and then blew back here...  To think we haven't been populist is ignorant of our history.

I am not arguing about the sources that compare Doug with you-know-who.

I merely wanted to point out that - like it, or not - comparisons are being made. If not here, they are being made elsewhere.

Underway said:

As for those who regret not signing up to vote, don't worry about it.  I tried, they took my money and didn't mail me my login/password info in time, like thousands of others.  Pathetic.  Green it is this year, at least they have some conservative policies in their platform.
Some did compare Trump to Rob Ford during the primaries.

But then he won and was instantly more important than Rob ever was.

All three men have the same underlying message, don't trust the media, running against the elites, swearing to stop the gravy train or drain the swamp. Oh, and lying through their teeth.

PuckChaser said:
...... if you bring out a Trump comparison, you've just jumped the shark on any credibility your arguments had.
I can understand how it may seem that way to an ardent Trump supporter -- you know, the type who sees absolutely no incongruity between using "Trump"  and "credibility" in the same sentence (that whole stunning track-record of compulsive lying; policy reversals; mindless tweets; saying 'A' but then when it sinks in even with him  how incredibly stupid it was, catagorically states "I never said 'A' "....).

Now, because this IS the Ontario politics thread.... I'm withholding judgement on Ford; I'll have to see how things shape up.  But the last thing I would do is assess him based solely on how much//how little he is like Trump. 

That could diminish any credibility I may have.  :nod:

Altair said:
Oh, and lying through their teeth.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an elected politician of any stripe that doesn't do that on a regular basis.

It will be interesting to see how the PCs deal with the inevitable comparisons between the POTUS and Ford. I imagine their best strategy would be to ignore the comparisons and focus on the Liberal's track record on the economy. Maybe push the change narrative, and focus on positives like tax cuts. Who doesn't love a tax cut?

WeatherdoG said:

It will be interesting to see how the PCs deal with the inevitable comparisons between the POTUS and Ford. I imagine their best strategy would be to ignore the comparisons and focus on the Liberal's track record on the economy.

Which is what we're going to deal with here. Back on track folks and keep it relative to the point of the thread. ONTARIO Politics. Comments like "That guy down south" add nothing to the conversation except tangents. Save yourself the typing if they don't contribute to the discussion. They'll likely be removed anyway. Comparing Ford to anyone requires a point to be made that is relevant. Stating only "Ford is just like <name here>" won't cut it.

Tanks!

recceguy said:
Which is what we're going to deal with here. Back on track folks and keep it relative to the point of the thread. ONTARIO Politics. Comments like "That guy down south" add nothing to the conversation except tangents. Save yourself the typing if they don't contribute to the discussion. They'll likely be removed anyway. Comparing Scheer to anyone requires a point to be made that is relevant. Stating only "Ford is just like <name here>" won't cut it.

Tanks!
Political A does something.

Politician B does something similar.

If politician B isn't in the same jurisdiction as politician A should it not be mentioned that those two politicians have done similar things in the past?

Altair said:
Political A does something.

Politician B does something similar.

If politician B isn't in the same jurisdiction as politician A should it not be mentioned that those two politicians have done similar things in the past?

Is anyone else having problems understanding what my Staff post meant? I thought it was pretty clear.

recceguy said:
Is anyone else having problems understanding what my Staff post meant? I thought it was pretty clear.
It was simply a question.

Altair said:
It was simply a question.
Annnnnnnnd since people like to be passive agressive via milpoints, for example, could one compare;

Wynne's actions to Trudeau?

Horwath actions to Notley?

Ford actions to Sheer?

If it's a no, it's a no, simple question.

To be honest, I do think the Ford/Trump comparison is relevant to the Ontario election.

Because for better or for worse people will make that comparison and vote that way.  It matters because it will be interesting to see how the Liberals will use that narrative and how Ford will defend against it and if voters will buy it.

But if one wants to be objective, one has to look at the man and the policies.  I don't think that Ford the man is anything like Trump.  But from a limited policy perspective (I say limited because it is difficult to compare provincial areas and jurisdictions to a foreign national jurisdiction) and from a political tactic side of things their are not all that dissimilar.  Ford though, having to try and win the PR war from the get go, does have the advantage that his own party/side isn't out to get him (yet I suppose).

I have to say that listening to a few interviews with him, some of his answers did turn combative when he was questioned on some of the finer details of his platform. 
He'll need to polish that up a bit.  Not sold on him yet but I am paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back