• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEW US Army Combat Uniform (ACU) debuts monday

Will you really be going in and out of your pockets while stalking enemy soldiers in the middle of the night, bayonet betwixt your teeth?

If they want their energy bars ;D. I can just see it now...

Michael Dorosh said:
Blindspot said:
Just a question,

Will velcro not make a substantial amount of noise?

Will you really be going in and out of your pockets while stalking enemy soldiers in the middle of the night, bayonet betwixt your teeth?

Would YOU really want to take the chance of your shirt getting caught on something while stalking (or hiding from) the enemy when from your general direction comes a RRRRRRRIP?

Are there any pics of someone blending into the background?  There seem to be tons of pics like that for cadpat/marpat.  From everything I have seen so far it looks like it really sticks out, but it might just be the pics I have looked at.

I'd like to see it blending in with the back round. It looks a little too light to me.  I think it would be better to have some black in it, seems to me the acu might stick out at night.

Man, I can't see this pattern blending in either the desert or the forest. Sand is brown and forests are green. This uniform is mainly grey..

But what do I know? The US Army did all the scientific testing and experiments, and they know what works and what doesn't. So I'm guessing it works if they are implementing it..

:warstory:

Haaaahaaaahaaa!  <snort>  <snicker> 'The US Army did all the scientific testing . . .'

The surest way to screw something us is to have it designed by a COMMITTEE within a MILITARY organization.  :)

That being said, they did involve real soldiers in the process, so it might be better than it appears.  I think it's awful light.

Let's wait and see.

So it's better camouflage that you're after eh? Try this:

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp:/projects/MEDIA/xv/oc.html

Is it just me or from a distance does it look like the colour of our old combats.  After they were washed a few times they ended up grey-green.b

That being said, they did involve real soldiers in the process

Hopefully the soldiers comments and opinions were not disregarded by the boys up stairs who know better  ;)

This was from an article I read somewhere...

"The color scheme in the ACU capitalizes on the environments that we operate in," Myhre said. "The current colors on the ACU are green-woodland, grey-urban environments and sand brown-desert. The pattern is not a 100-percent solution in every environment, but a good solution across the board."

I think they just didn't explain their plan very well (with regards to the one pattern).   I know a lot of people are under the impression that this is one acu for all environments (woodland, desert, urban).   Based on this statement, I think there is one pattern on the acu (being the digital pattern), but that there are three color schemes.   One for each environment.   I think the confusion is caused by the fact that they keep saying that it will replace the desert and woodland bdu with one pattern.   If you look at those two sets, the pattern itself is different, it is not just different colors in the same pattern.   The new ACU will be the exact same pattern, simply with different color schemes.

I also read a comment on another message forum from a guy who know a guy  :p that works in the peo department that said this was the case.

The ACU "does away with requirements to procure uniforms based on specific environments - the ACU is worldwide deployable," according to this PDF file:      https://peosoldier.army.mil/images/ACU_Factsheet.pdf

This would lead me to believe that there is only one ACU uniform, that will replace having seperate woodland uniforms, desert uniforms, urban uniforms, etc.   Of course, they will probably still make temperate and regular weather versions.

I have to say... the uniform looks ridiculous with the old style of patches, but clearly, as stated by others, this is somthing that can be remedied easy enough.

As to the functionality, I can't see this being functional as camoflauge, I really can't... I'm sure it went through plenty of testing, but I still just can't wrap my head around this being functional... that being said, I'll reserve judgement until the uniform sees actual service.

are the patches suppose to be sewn on in such a crappy manner. who ever sew on those things, didnt even take the time to do a good job. the guys name tape looks like it was only sewn on in the middle and the sides have no thread to hold them back? anyway the uniform is UGLY. the cadpad looks much better.  :warstory:

The ACU is just a another attempt to turn the Army into the Marines.

Marine said:

Someone has got to be behind the times.... ;D

All your answer are belong to this FAQ

https://peosoldier.army.mil/default.asp?section=faqs

Marine said:

How? They adapted a digital pattern? I don't see the Army replying to small arms fire with tactical nukes yet. The Marine Corps seems good enough at doing that so far.

Marine Corps response to one guy with an AK:
:mg:  
:cam:  
:rocket:  
:akimbo:
  :gunner:  
:flame:

And the Army response:
:sniper:

Any pictures of the ACU in action? I wanna see how it blends into the various enviroments.

https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/ACU2_high.jpg

vs

http://www.army.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/Photo_e.asp?Ref=722&Photo=9004

I know which one i would pick :)

Yup - I keep hearing Jungle's comments ringing in my ears
(i.e. to the effect that black is included ... to simulate shadows ...)

So, like, I'm kinda thinkin' ... there's no black on the new US Army cam pattern ...
(which makes me chuckle again, thinking of flourescent lights if one mistakenly emphasizes "Office Soldier" in the name PEO "Project Executive Office Soldier ...")

Also - it sure makes a difference when the gear is the same cam pattern as the uniform ...
http://www.army.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/7/731_e.asp
The Full Monty ...except for the glare off the ballistic shades ... sigh ...

SFontaine said:
Marine said:

How? They adapted a digital pattern? I don't see the Army replying to small arms fire with tactical nukes yet. The Marine Corps seems good enough at doing that so far.

Marine Corps response to one guy with an AK:
:mg:  
:cam:  
:rocket:  
:akimbo:
  :gunner:  
:flame:

And the Army response:
:sniper:

Life is expensive, ammo is cheap.

Back