• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Urban Legends

One rumour that I heard that happened in Shilo way back (just over 20 years ago) was that an (insert army vehicle here) was being airlifted by helicopter over Sewel Lake, when the cabling broke. Apparently the vehicle sank down so far in to the very soft muddy bottom, that nothing that anyone had could pull it out, and it is still there today.  Can't rmemeber if it was a tank, or an M113, or an ?????

Nother one I heard, was that the EOD boys (maybe girls to, I here they DO exist in the military   ;D) out in DUndurn, would create an interesting explosive device. Apparently they had a 45 gallon drum filled with so much deisel fuel. They who then ignite a charge under the drum, sending it flying into the air. They would then ignite a second charge inside the barrel, causing the fule to explode into a mini-mushroom cloud. Apparently it was large enough to be seen from Saskatoon, and people in the city started thinking they where doing nuke tests in Dundurn.

Reference the "do you know who I am on the parade square legend", the version I heard took place over a phone.

Some more good old standards:

-  In Cornwallis, they put saltpeter in the food to cut down on the sexual urges of the recruits
    -  In Cornwallis, if you spit on the sidewalk, you got charged for defacing Government property
    -  In Cornwallis, I was told that if I got a sunburn, I would be charged with damaging military property.

And one more.......A friend of one of our Basuc Training instructors told us of this one guy in his basic platoon who was a dickhead. So one night, apparently because he was a heavy sleeper, they took one of his combat boots, lengthened the string, and looped / tied / attatched the end to the guys dick (For you female personnelle that may be offeneded by that word, I apologize. I will now refer to it as the male sexual organ). They then started throwing all their boots at him. Well, he of course woke up, and started throwing boots back at the guys. Eventually he got to that special boot, and......well, I'm pretty sure you can all figure out what happened next!

Got a few more stories hidden away in my brain somewhere, so if I think of them, I'll be sure to write them up for you.

Oh....and the stealing the helicopter, but leaving the intake covers on story......I heard it happened in Kingston.    ;D

Kilroy said:
Some more good old standards:

-  In Cornwallis, I was told that if I got a sunburn, I would be charged with damaging military property.

Are you sure the one above wasn't

-  In Cornwallis, I was told that if I got a sunburn, I would be charged with damaging military property causing self-inflicted wounds??

because that would be no legend.

jrhume said:
As for the Viet Cong and the M-72 conversion to use as a mortar.  Not likely.  First off, the M-72 fires a 40mm round and although the VC did have 40mm mortars, they used 60mm stuff most of the time.  

Besides, if they captured an M-72, why not just use it as is?  They make fairly decent mortars without jury-rigging anything.

Actually, you are wrong. The M-72 fires a 66mm HEAT projectile so yes, a 60mm mortar could concievably fit.

Speaking of Cornwallis (and this one is true, I kid you NOT).  One of the guys in my platoon had applied A5-35 to his sore muscles and then went to urinate without washing his hands.  :o
Of course, this guy was a complete idiot.  He took six tries to pass his saluting test as he could not stop bear walking.  It finally took two guys, one on each side of him holding his arms to ensure they were swinging in the proper manner.  ::)

Kilroy said:
One rumour that I heard that happened in Shilo way back (just over 20 years ago) was that an (insert army vehicle here) was being airlifted by helicopter over Sewel Lake, when the cabling broke. Apparently the vehicle sank down so far in to the very soft muddy bottom, that nothing that anyone had could pull it out, and it is still there today.  Can't rmemeber if it was a tank, or an M113, or an ?????

Heard the same on, but it was in Gagetown in Swan Lake with a US M1.

Here is one for those who are fans of Top Gear,Hammond,that's
the little guy,was a member of the SAS,and his first TV appearance
was at the window of the Iranian Embassy.
SAS Snr. Nco was asked by TV presenter if he had been on the
Iranian embassy OP.His reply was,no but I know 2000 guys that were.
                                  Regards

daftandbarmy said:
A friend of mine with the RM served with the USMC on exchange in Beirut in 1983. Luckily, he left just before the big bomb that killed a few hundred of the poor buggers. Anyways, as many of you may know, the yanks are fond of putting up big signs that say things like '137rd Underground Balloon Maintenance Platoon - Second to None!'.

So he had a T-Shirt made up for himself that he wore around the base. On the front it said, in large letters, 'None'.

They didn't get it.

This had apparently been done before by British or Canadian troops in Korea, but I can't find the reference so it may be an Urb-Leg.

I heard a similar story from a Navy friend:

A US Navy warship was tied up alongside a Canadian warship in Halfax.  The Yanks hung a banner off thier bridge proclaiming "We are Second to NONE!"

Not to be outdone, the Canadians replied with a banner reading "HMCS NONE."

Kilroy says, "Some more good old standards:

-  In Cornwallis, they put saltpeter in the food to cut down on the sexual urges of the recruits
    -  In Cornwallis, if you spit on the sidewalk, you got charged for defacing Government property
    -  In Cornwallis, I was told that if I got a sunburn, I would be charged with damaging military property."

Not necessarily stanards or legends - some factual content:

- If you spat on the parade square you were told to pick it up with your bare hand and put it in your pocket. (I was both a trainee - OCdt not a recruit and an OC at CFRS Cornwallis.)
If you got sunburned, you could be charged with Negligence of a Military Duty or Disobeying a Lawful Command - for self-inflicting a wound by not wearing issued sunscreen when ordered to do so.

That one about the Carl-G going missing on ex was true.  It was during CAC '92 in Pet.  It was my first year in, and I remember taking part in the search for it (which did not last very longbefore it was called off).

Years later, I met the woman reponsible (she had since left the CF).  Her story: Part of the training involved that day was advance to contact at the section level (I remember this).  The weapon had been left aside so she could participate.  Unfortunately, the weapon had been forgotten at the end of training, when the troops returned to the bivouac.  When they returned to retreive it, the Carl-G was gone.  That's when the search began.  Turns out, another platoon doing the same training had stumbled accross it and wisely picked it up, as no-one was around.

Anyway, all ended up OK, with he weapon returned to the rightful platoon (and a very embarrassed pte).  I didn't ask about disciplinary actions, too busy laughing...

Davionn

CAC 92 eh??

Well, I was there ... but do not recall this incident.

So it wasn't me!!! (For once!!)  ;D

I was on CAC 92 and I'm sure I would have heard of a missing Carl G. I certainly heard about a missing 9mm some numpty managed to get tangled in the bottom of his sleeping bag and then tuned same bag into the CQMS.

Hey don't forget the 9mm lost on ARCON 05 (?). And later recovered in someone's basement.

It wasn't CAC 92, it happened in 89 or 90 in Ottawa.

CDN Aviator said:
Thats why its a myth......

If persons were involved in, searched for missing "items" at different locations and times. That would steer more toward Fact.

Myth, is more like that I think this work week will be over soon ;D

Back