• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Urban Legends

MikeL said:
I heard that the Governor Generals Foot Guards forgot their Carl G on the side of the road after an ex, and when they remembered, an returned, it was gone.

I was working at LFCA HQ in the summer of 91 during the Inf Comp, there was a report of a mising Carl G, i remember a few officers going nuts over it. Never sure if it was recovered or not, or what  happened.

The US has lost 11 nuclear weapons since 1945 ( a few have never been recovered) , heres the story of one, does anyone know about the other ones?
http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0803-08.htm

My apologies if this one has been posted already, I didn't see it.

As the story goes back in the days of the Canadian Airborne Regiment the father of a 16 year old pregnant girl came to the base commander's office at CFB Petawawa looking for the soldier who had knocked up his daughter.  The CO listened to what the father had to say, and then said 'No problem sir, I'll have that soldier here as soon as possible.  What was his name?'

'Karl Gustav.'

I don't know if the story is true or not, but it made me laugh when I heard it.

mattoigta said:
what DOESNT cause cancer these days

you know it can't be that good for you when your platoon starts to get high off it in the weapons cleaning room

FormerHorseGuard said:
MikeL said:
I heard that the Governor Generals Foot Guards forgot their Carl G on the side of the road after an ex, and when they remembered, an returned, it was gone.

I was working at LFCA HQ in the summer of 91 during the Inf Comp, there was a report of a mising Carl G, i remember a few officers going nuts over it. Never sure if it was recovered or not, or what  happened.

I'm surprised I missed this. Story I'd heard was they'd been coming back from Ex in a rented school bus, stopped at one of the stops on the 416, and no one stayed on. Carl G was near the back door, and when they were on the road, noticed it was missing.

For this, I've heard of them referred to as the "Gustav's Gone For Good"

Urban myth? #6:

Probably been told on every base...  Common knowledge not to walk across the parade square.  However, one soldier decides to risk it after coming back late from the bar.  RSM just happens to have an office overlooking his parade square, is working late, and spots the soldier in the darkness.

"YOU.  STOP WHERE YOU ARE."  Soldier stops.  "WHAT's YOUR NAME."  Soldier says (Loud voice, sense of purpose) "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"  RSM says, (thinking CO / Base Commander, etc) "No?"

Anonymous soldier yells F*** Y** and runs off laughing.  Also heard, soldier yells "Carl Gustav" and runs for it.

[/quote]

that did happen in meaford i herd it form i guy that was on a tasking at the time
uy comes back onto base drunk (he's on his recurit course in the summer) he runs into the RSM
RSM: Do you know who I am?
Pte: Yes Sir, your the RSM, do you know who I am?
RSM: NO
then this guy takes off runing the RSM chaseing him for awhile then gets other people to chase him, tthey chase him hrow tentcity and they lose him in one of the mod tents
the intire base lost it's weekend because of this

Truth stranger than fiction??

Dundurn, about 1988.

On late spring day, we jumped into a old 'Soviet' trench system (w/Coy bunker all perfectly made correctly) near The Pines, on the North side of Strathcona Camp somewhere, and there sitting there was a C1 SMG, with BFA attached, 30rd magazine in (with blanks loaded into it), cocked, and yes, on safe. There was a fair bit of rust on the weapon, so it had been ther most likely all winter, and was left there from the last fall.

The SMG was turned into the CFB MJ MP Det, and we later heard it could not be traced who/what Unit had actually lost it. In those days CFR's were not computer tracked, and a card system was used.

Anyways, never did find out which Unit owned it, and who knows how thye got away with losing it, and somehow covering it up.

Australia, about 1995. When I was with 103 Fd Wksp (my 1st posting out of Leichhardt NSW), the Unit found a No1 MkIII SMLE .303 rifle, literally under a big ghost gum at Singleton NSW. We ended up cleaning it up, the wood weathered beyond, and the rifle rusted solid. It was mounted on some timber, and hung in the SGTs Mess for years, before some idiot RQ, decided it was a pain and surrendered it to DNSDC Moorebank for destruction.

Note: Inside the butt trap was a pull thru, all rotted, and a nice brass oil bottle, which I still have.

When I was at DNSDC one time, I noticed tthe timber it had been mounted on (neatly piled with other pieces of wood, used for the same thing),  with the plaque still attached. Yes the rifle went to Port Kembla at Wollongong south of Sydney, and was smelted along with other items, which included an nice serviceable 8mm Jap Type 14 pistol. What a waste.

Regards,

Wes

veale said:
that did happen in meaford i herd it form i guy that was on a tasking at the time
uy comes back onto base drunk (he's on his recurit course in the summer) he runs into the RSM
RSM: Do you know who I am?
Pte: Yes Sir, your the RSM, do you know who I am?
RSM: NO
then this guy takes off runing the RSM chaseing him for awhile then gets other people to chase him, tthey chase him hrow tentcity and they lose him in one of the mod tents
the intire base lost it's weekend because of this

Thats funny.....its exactly what everyone who "heard it" says !!!

(name of the base changes every time though)

The legend continues

Sig_Des said:
I'm surprised I missed this. Story I'd heard was they'd been coming back from Ex in a rented school bus, stopped at one of the stops on the 416, and no one stayed on. Carl G was near the back door, and when they were on the road, noticed it was missing.

For this, I've heard of them referred to as the "Gustav's Gone For Good"

I'm a member of the GGFG, and that's the story I was told, and that it somehow ended up in the hands of the IRA, recovered after a raid by British troops.

Did Soldiers use to cook food in there helmets? pic related.

10081342Innovative-British-Soldiers.jpg

THE STEEL POT, issued in 1941 and used throughout World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, consisted of two pieces: a lightweight liner covered by a heavy, metal helmet. If it can be said that the GI loved a 3.5-pound soup kettle perched on his head that wobbled when he walked and fell off when he ran, then the American soldier loved his steel pot. In the morning it was a shaving bowl, in the afternoon it was a cooking pot, and at night it was a pillow. In between it was a desperately needed entrenching tool. Even though a few soldiers did not believe the helmet to be any good as protection —and some took them off during fire fights to increase mobility—they were always careful to retrieve this invaluable piece of Government Issue material.

The GIs of the future will little resemble those of World War II, Vietnam, or even Desert Storm. Forget the old walkie talkies, talking in code over back-pack-sized field radios, and navigating by the seat of the pants. And no one will be cooking C-rations in their helmets.

Combat soldiers in World Wars I and II wore steel helmets that could also be used as a cooking pot, dish, or wash basin. Since 1978, soldiers in the United States Army have worn helmets made of an acrylic fiber that is stronger than steel.

We did in the '80's when alinimoo, aliminum, aloonumim, er other pots were back on the deuce.  (I haven't been the same since the h-h-h-head wound.)

Here's one:

"Vern has never been in trouble a day in her life."

I've actually heard that one from a friend of a friend of mine!!

Here's one:

Every happy unit has an integral Donair Shop.  Troops who have Donairs whenever they desire are happy troops.

(Don't bother asking - it's an inside joke)

Here's another:

"Vern is always happy."

:rofl:

But, she does love a good donair!!

Che said:
bump*

This one circulates around quite a bit, it‘s a pile of BS as far as I know with the US. DOD offering a response to it.

The power of the US Navy:

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation
of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast
of Newfoundland.

Canadians:  Please divert your course 15 degrees the
           South to avoid a collision.
Americans:  Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees
           the North to avoid a collision.
Canadians:  Negative.  You will have to divert your
           course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
Americans:  This is the Captain of a US Navy ship.
           I say again, divert YOUR course.
Canadians:  No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.
Americans:  THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN,
           THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED
           STATES‘ ATLANTIC FLEET.  WE ARE ACCOM-
           PANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS
           AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT
           YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I
           SAY AGAIN, THAT‘S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH,
           OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO
           ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.
Canadians:  This is a lighthouse.  Your call.

-_____________________________________

Of course you can‘t help but laugh at it, even if its not true.

They even made a movie of it  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U33Xg91HAlo

daftandbarmy said:
They even made a movie of it  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U33Xg91HAlo

That is a classic.

My sister (a civvie) once sent it to me in an effort to show her pride in me as a Canadian serviceman.  She SWORE it was true!

I didn't bother bursting her bubble - she meant well.

A friend of mine with the RM served with the USMC on exchange in Beirut in 1983. Luckily, he left just before the big bomb that killed a few hundred of the poor buggers. Anyways, as many of you may know, the yanks are fond of putting up big signs that say things like '137rd Underground Balloon Maintenance Platoon - Second to None!'.

So he had a T-Shirt made up for himself that he wore around the base. On the front it said, in large letters, 'None'.

They didn't get it.

This had apparently been done before by British or Canadian troops in Korea, but I can't find the reference so it may be an Urb-Leg.

daftandbarmy said:
A friend of mine with the RM served with the USMC on exchange in Beirut in 1983. Luckily, he left just before the big bomb that killed a few hundred of the poor buggers. Anyways, as many of you may know, the yanks are fond of putting up big signs that say things like '137rd Underground Balloon Maintenance Platoon - Second to None!'.

So he had a T-Shirt made up for himself that he wore around the base. On the front it said, in large letters, 'None'.

They didn't get it.

This had apparently been done before by British or Canadian troops in Korea, but I can't find the reference so it may be an Urb-Leg.

I've heard the same thing - involving different nationalities - my bet is urban legend.

But I think I'll get a T-shirt like that done up - it'll work out here in civvie land too!

daftandbarmy said:

I think I worked for those guys.

Back