• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Urban Legends

Ground penetrating radar from the sky?  I know I've only got basic radio & radar theory, but this sounds odd.

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:
Ground penetrating radar from the sky?  I know I've only got basic radio & radar theory, but this sounds odd.

Well, they have satellites with ground penetrating radar (its how they found all the soviet ICBM silos in the Cold War).  I don't see why it couldn't be on a helicopter, but then again, I know very little.

Page 5 or so of this thread gives the details on the real buried M113 found in Meaford.

Something I always heard in the Navy

HMCS Provider was a civilian tanker purchased by the Canadian Navy.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Something I always heard in the Navy
HMCS Provider was a civilian tanker purchased by the Canadian Navy.

Myth busted http://www.wellandcanal.ca/shiparc/warships/provider/provider.htm

The clean, streamlined appearance of the hull follows a design to achieve high speed while fulfilling replenishments with the fleet on operations.
Ordered - 15 Apr 1958
  Construction begun - Sep 1960
  Keel laid - 1 May 1961
  Launched - 5 July 1962
  Delivered - 28 Sep 1963
  Newbuild price - $15,700,000 (CAD)

It was the Cormorant that was a civilian ship purchased by the navy

Italian Fishing Trawler=HMCS Cormorant=Pigeon Stoop in Bridgewater

I heard that the Bonaventure's Anchor Chain is now located at the end of the runway in Moose Jaw!

"Page 5 or so of this thread gives the details on the real buried M113 found in Meaford."

To add to this one, I was instructing on the ISCC Crse, who at the time were doing their Defencive and a Cpl Whynot along with a few others were digging their shell scrape.  If you have ever dug pretty well anywhere in Meaford then you would know just under the topsoil is very hard to dig shale.  Well as I was doing my rounds as Swing NCO I came on this crew and Whynot says to me "the digging isn't bad here but something is weird".  "Oh why is that?" was my reply.  "well we can dig down about a foot all over but this spot is almost a perfect rectangle and we are down about 2-3 feet now." 

I went over and looked, sure enough they split locked down about a foot and hit what they thought was rock, but they were digging deeper in a rectangle area that unfortunately was more then a bit off of the angle they needed the trench to dig.  Cpl Why not was now asking if the orientation of the shell scrap would be good enough.  Something seemed familiar about the way the ground was looking where they dug and since it was night i asked Whynot to shine is light on a spot just in front of the deeper hole,  sure enough there was a mushroom shaped mound 10' or so in diameter and a few inches up.  I told themthat I think this is a M113 and that is the Cargo hatch your digging into.  One of the other members spouts up, that he told them so. 

This put a kinker into that nights activities,  they were told to move and start a new trench and I went to the CP and had them contact range control.  Of course range control didn't know anything about it at first and doubted it in the story in the beginning.  But by next morning they came out and despite it not being an obvious mound but the top being undoubtedly being part of a 113 they went off to look into it. 

The rest of this story is covered earlier on this thread and matches what I can recall.  But one more bonus for the Course involved.  Due to the M113 being out there and Range Control wanting to pull it out and inspect it further the front end loader that came to do the task was also used to fill in all the shell scrapes that were dug.  The Crse appreciated that to no end and enjoyed the fact that they would be able to state that they were on a Course that a sunk/buried army vehicle was found.  8)

DONT_PANIC said:
Well, they have satellites with ground penetrating radar (its how they found all the soviet ICBM silos in the Cold War).  I don't see why it couldn't be on a helicopter, but then again, I know very little.

Just a follow-up to this.  I've done some reading and Mr. Panic is correct in that Sats have GPR and similar systems can be attached to various aircraft.

HFXCrow said:
A Navy one...The INS Viraat is actually the Bonaventure?

In the Gulf of Oman on OP APOLLO we pulled alongside her and everybody came up to the Upper decks to check her out.

It was like seeing a ghost..........but thats another just another urban legend

Actually the myth was that HMCS Bonaventure when she was sent to Tawian in 1971 to be scrapped was switched with her sister ship INS Vikrant. Both were Majestic class carriers, the Bonnie was originally HMS Powerful launched in 1945 and acquired by us in 1957. The Vikrant was originally HMS Hercules launcehed in1942 and bought by the Indian Navy in 1961.

The rationale for the swap was HMCS Bonaventure had just gone through an Elven Million Dollar refit from 1966-68 before the decision to scrap her was made.

Incidentally Bonnie replaced HMCS Magnificent another Majestic Class carrier. There were 6 in the class and none served in the RN all in other Commonwealth Navies.

Never been proven, and denied by all sides but I'd like to think the Bonnie had a few ore years service before being turned in razor blades.

INS Vikrant
300px-INS_Vikrant.jpg

HMCS Magnificent
250px-

Considering the Vikrant was decommissioned in 97, and the Viraat isn't even the same class as the old Bonnie, I don't see how anyone could think that the Viraat and the Bonnie were the same vessel.

I doubt the Vikrant was ever swapped with the Bonnie.  They were configured for different aircraft, and while the Bonnie was being turned into Hot Wheels cars, the Virkrant was doing what Aircraft carriers do best, launching aircraft into enemy territory.

Considering the Vikrant was decommissioned in 97, and the Viraat isn't even the same class as the old Bonnie, I don't see how anyone could think that the Viraat and the Bonnie were the same vessel.

No one ever said the Viraat was the same class as the Boneaventure

Quick look shows the Bonnie operated Banshees at one time and the Vikrant operated SeaHawks which seem to be comparable to the old F2Hs....

Ex-Dragoon said:
No one ever said the Viraat was the same class as the Boneaventure

There you go Ex-D :

HFXCrow said:
A Navy one...The INS Viraat is actually the Bonaventure?

In the Gulf of Oman on OP APOLLO we pulled alongside her and everybody came up to the Upper decks to check her out.

It was like seeing a ghost..........but thats another just another urban legend

Thanks for the clarification CA.

Then agreed Viraat looks nothing like a Majestic..

Mind you the RCN did look at getting the A-4 to replace the Banshee, but decided against it.

I've got one.

In the early 90's there was a rumor going around Bn that a hydro company in BC had bought some M113s for offroad duty and were looking for qualified drivers.

Gronk, I heard that rumour in the early 80's in the 3rd Bn, Only the story was BC Power was using M-113s to move equipment and workers in Per, for a project they signed onto. 

Back