• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Original report identifies it as 188735; OSINT reports that aircraft as belonging to 409 Sqn in Cold Lake as of 2016.

I would not put too much stock in a 7 year old OSINT report on which airframe belongs to what Sqn. Tail numbers get moved, all of the time, for various factors.

To be fair...how would one pronounce 'BLDE11' when talking to air traffic control?

(Blade11?)

Yup. Sounds like a tactical C/S, talking to ATC they’d probably be using a “normal” one until they chopped operational.

There was plane spotter group in Lossiemouth that used to monitor the frequencies and post our ATC and Op callsigns, as well as when we took off and in what direction and what direction we RTBd from…

Yup. Sounds like a tactical C/S, talking to ATC they’d probably be using a “normal” one until they chopped operational.

There was plane spotter group in Lossiemouth that used to monitor the frequencies and post our ATC and Op callsigns, as well as when we took off and in what direction and what direction we RTBd from…
AKA people with far too much time on their hands.

That's a fairly popular place for military aviation enthusiasts to set up shop, isn't it?

(I'm thinking of the Mach Loop, and all the spotter groups that set up on either side of the valley...but maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place?)

Do you think the plane spotter group had nefarious intentions, or were just folks who were super enthusiastic about anything military?

Do you think the plane spotter group had nefarious intentions, or were just folks who were super enthusiastic about anything military?
My son is an aviation enthusiast which got him his job as a flight planner/manager. He belongs to groups that do plane spotting. When he was in Calgary, his group was dealing with the RCMP and helped out with reporting suspicious activities around Calgary's airport. The RCMP has a national reach through their volunteer airport/coastal watch program.

🍻

That's a fairly popular place for military aviation enthusiasts to set up shop, isn't it?

(I'm thinking of the Mach Loop, and all the spotter groups that set up on either side of the valley...but maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place?)

I met a trainspotter once. I politely backed away slowly once I found out what he was doing.

Lossie was predominantly a Typhoon base during those years; the group was mostly interested in fighters but would also see us, USN, and French MPAs show up for exercises and ops on a fairly regular basis. When there was no exercise in the news, it was likely a wee bit obvious what those aircraft were on the ramp for.

Back