• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Don’t worry Kev, I’m sure the next Light Force Working Group will get it all sorted and CCA will embrace and implement the LFWG’s recommendations.
Sarcastic Emma Stone GIF

Admittedly I was impressed you could type that without keeling over laughing.
I was remembering back to my first LFWG as a starry-eyed young captain, when an imminent solution was just around the corner… 😆

A lot of line serials start outside the rifle squad in OJT positions. A Sniper Det for instance is one area where the US Army doesn’t have a deep pool of experience.
I would have thought between Iraq being what it was, and the mountainous areas of the Korengal Valley, Arangrab Valley, Khost, etc of Afghanistan that the US Army would have a fairly large pool of sniper qualified guys w/ deployment experience...

Huh. Some things just surprise me.

I would have thought between Iraq being what it was, and the mountainous areas of the Korengal Valley, Arangrab Valley, Khost, etc of Afghanistan that the US Army would have a fairly large pool of sniper qualified guys w/ deployment experience...

Huh. Some things just surprise me.
That’s assuming they stayed in the US Army.

That’s assuming they stayed in the US Army.
Very true

I had just assumed (I know, I know...bad CBH!!) that given the sheer numbers of troops deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan, and the number of guys who were either sniper qualified and part of a sniper det, or guys who didn't necessarily get sniper qualified but learned via OJT, that their depth of guys with operational experience would be decently large

Like I said, sometimes it's just surprising to hear things 🤷🏼‍♂️

I saw that article about the weapons purchase. That really did not tell me how many MQ-9Bs we are buying.
Yeah little info on the number of drones. I’m hoping in the 30 range to allow for two Sqns conducting continuous operations east and west. I know we can’t replace everything with UAV but it sure seems like a lot of maritime patrol could be automated. I guess sesnsor suite capability becomes the limiter there.

If we want to guess numbers the 12 AN/APY-8 Lynx SAR requested is a good indicator.
A guess of 8-12 MQ-9Bs is reasonably plausible and is line with numbers operated by others such as France and the UK.

If we want to guess numbers the 12 AN/APY-8 Lynx SAR requested is a good indicator.
A guess of 8-12 MQ-9Bs is reasonably plausible and is line with numbers operated by others such as France and the UK.
I just hope they come quick enough I can get a live 114 off one lol

I just hope they come quick enough I can get a live 114 off one lol
Unless we're actually doing the opposite of our usual "equipped for but not with" procurement practice. We've purchased the munitions but won't end up getting the platform!

Think About It GIF by Identity

Is it a bolt-on kit though?

i.e. We get 12 SAR, but we rotate them around (a higher or lower) number of aircraft.

FYI the UK is looking up to 16 MQ-9B, in addition to the 10 MQ-9A.

Is it a bolt-on kit though?

i.e. We get 12 SAR, but we rotate them around (a higher or lower) number of aircraft.
My guess, based on the radar buy, is that it indicates a buy of 10-12 airframes. But that is just a guess.

I dimly remember reading once how many Lines of Tasking the fleet was supposed to be able to sustain per day, but don’t recall the details and even if I did, if it was publically releasable.

Interesting new reporting about the much anticipated Defence Review which was announced 18 months ago

With regards to the defence review, Mr. Blair said:
  • it is a priority and is being staffed along with the Dept of Finance
  • important decisions must be made beforehand
  • will work towards increasing defence spending towards 2% of GDP
  • not just about spending money but investing in the right things and investing in pers
  • working in a challenging economic environment
  • needs significant investment in platforms such as: planes, helicopters and submarines

As mentioned before, I believe that there will be no cuts in the defence budget, but no significant increases in baseline funding. There will be incremental increases in defence spending. The gov't will continue to procure the wpns platforms that they deem necessary but:
  • not in the numbers required
  • will be stretched over a considerable number of years
  • decision regarding submarine replacement will be delayed until the next election

Cheers

Interesting new reporting about the much anticipated Defence Review which was announced 18 months ago

With regards to the defence review, Mr. Blair said:
  • it is a priority and is being staffed along with the Dept of Finance
  • important decisions must be made beforehand
  • will work towards increasing defence spending towards 2% of GDP
  • not just about spending money but investing in the right things and investing in pers
  • working in a challenging economic environment
  • needs significant investment in platforms such as: planes, helicopters and submarines

As mentioned before, I believe that there will be no cuts in the defence budget, but no significant increases in baseline funding. There will be incremental increases in defence spending. The gov't will continue to procure the wpns platforms that they deem necessary but:
  • not in the numbers required
  • will be stretched over a considerable number of years
  • decision regarding submarine replacement will be delayed until the next election

Cheers
With the way and amount of money being thrown at Ukraine I wouldn't surprised if nearly all new spending is deferred until the next election as theres enough money going out the door that can be labeled as defence spending that it might look like an effort to up the numbers.

Yeah little info on the number of drones. I’m hoping in the 30 range to allow for two Sqns conducting continuous operations east and west. I know we can’t replace everything with UAV but it sure seems like a lot of maritime patrol could be automated. I guess sesnsor suite capability becomes the limiter there.

I hope you’re not going to be too disappointed when those hopes stay hopes vs reality.

Back