• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

It could never happen here, could it?-Canada a Target?

a_majoor said:
We don't hear too much about these guys, but they are still out there. It is not in the interest of the government of the day to highlight law enforcement failures. It is also interesting to note that well connected criminal gangs who either have international connections (the Hells Angles) or unfettered access to the border (the Mohawk Warriors and similar gangs) will have a great deal to offer the terrorist organizations. Groups like Hamas and the LTTE raise lots of money through bogus charities and extorting "taxes" so there is no problem paying for services rendered. Acts of violence are certainly not outside of the arcs of criminal gangs, so there are lots of opportunities for cross fertilization.

I'm a friend of a member of the Calgary Police Force (actually, the one who got sued, no less), and he told our youth group once of one of the ways the Hell's Angels were raising funds. Here's how it goes: most Calgary sports teams use red as their primary colour. The Hell's Angels have been selling clothes labelled "The Big Red Machine". While the clothes do not feature any team logo or mention of Calgary, even, one could easily mistake the clothes as being Flames or Stamps merch, rather than actual cloths for a gang.

To counter this, the police launched a rather funny "Big Blue Machine" campaign, with signs even in the Saddledome.

Sadly due to Official Secrets Act stuff no one who knows anything about terror in this country can post it -- or go on Canada AM - unless the govt says its okay.  Like A_Majoor pointed out it is not in the gov't's best interest to point out their failures in these respects.

Back when I had gotten out of the Patricia's (the first time  ;D) I had a job while I went to University, during this job I happend to sit in (accidentally) on a briefing about Native gang usage of a defunct CF base - using its ranges and obstacle courses and menacing the Band Elders into leaving the facilities up for them - all complete with video and still photo's.  Now if you extrapolate the point that no-one outside some fed gov't entities knew about it - and could only observe it -- what do you think goes on in the rest of Canada with the rest of the potential threats.

Frankly I figure one way to get rid of the Al-Q cells is tell the HA's that they (Al-Q) will stop them from sellling drugs and prostitution unless they get stopped - if we are lucky they will bomb each other to death...

:-\ I'm sure Al-Q has infiltrated a chapter or two just in case though....

"I'm sure Al-Q has infiltrated a chapter or two just in case though...."

Be easier for them to infiltrate CSIS than the HA.  HA doesn't have to follow all of those 'reflect Canada' hiring quotas!

;D

Tom

Keep in mind the "Shoe Bomber" 

I'm sure they could have people in every facet of our society if they wished too...

I don't trust anyone  ;)

you call it paranoia, I call it a heightened state of awareness.

R0B said:
A concentration camp is defined as: A camp where civilians, enemy aliens, political prisoners, and sometimes prisoners of war are detained and confined, typically under harsh conditions. By this definition, the Australian "detention camps" are clearly concentration camps.

ROB, you are hiding behind a missapplied and archaic definition of "concentration camp" that bears no resemblance to the contemporary meaning of the word.  You know that.  By your "interpretation" of the word, schools, and infectious deseases wards of hosptials are concentration camps. 

You ignore the reality that illegal immigrants are given the choice of returning to a country where they have legal residency.  No one forces, or even encourages, them to take up the option of temporary detention untill their status is reviewed.  In fact, every effort is made to discourage them from taking that option.

Your comments about "harsh conditions" and the centres' supposed location in "Northern wastelands", reveal your ignorance, as do your comments about Australia generally.  Only one country in the word has a higher proption of foreign born residents and citizens than Australia (that country being Isreal).  Believe it or not, very few migrants return to their country of origin.  The only exception to this being immigrants from the UK.

I can understand that you may enjoy being the centre of attention.  But why indulge in what many would consider slander to achieve it?

RDBZ said:
ROB, you are hiding behind a missapplied and archaic definition of "concentration camp" that bears no resemblance to the contemporary meaning of the word.  

You ignore the reality that illegal immigrants are given the choice of returning to a country where they have legal residency.   No one forces, or even encourages, them to take up the option of temporary detention ununtilheir status is reviewed.   In fact, every effort is made to discourage them from taking that option.
Your post is fascinating RDBZ.  So I thought I would add my half a cent.

Archaic, missapplied, contemporary..
I have always wondered how it is we can justify, in theory of course, the mistreatment of people, by simply changing the meaning of the words.  Or by saying that the terms we previously used are out of date, so they should be changed to better represent the current political atmosphere.  Torture and abuse is torture and abuse.
Mistreating anyone in a detention type atmosphere is wrong, no matter what kind of situation or the era that it takes place in.
I think that compared to our normal views to what a concentration camp is, that it does not seem the right term for a detention camp.

I have yet to fully read the topic, and for that I apologize, but I recently got into a discussion with someone where we discussed the meaning of gang bang, and how the meaning has changed.  Because of that I was drawn to this post.

In regards to the second paragraph, I worked for several years as a supervisor at an immigration detention centre.  They are given the chance to return, if they don't..they are put into detention.  It is not voluntary.  They are there whether they like it or not.

For example
The tendency to change the meaning of a word reminds me of the US political environment after Sept 11.
To respond and protect(?) the American people from future terrorist attacks, they organized a whole new section of the government, changed a few acts, added some new ones and Voila the US Patriot Act and Dept for homeland security is born.
Which can overrule anyones right under the US Constitution if there is even a perceived threat.
http://www.answers.com/topic/patriot-act

Amendment XIII
1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime
whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United
States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Sorry to change from Australia to the US.  I get alot of stuff floating around and am not always so good at eloquently forming and presenting my views.

R0B said:
There isn't enough evidence to indicate a clear threat to Canada, unless your standards for evidence are incredibly low.
You'll assume that I'm making assumptions? That's good.

I've put my evidence up in a logical and comprehensible manner - sure, it was open source and general, but it could get far more detailed if it was worth the time.  You've offered nothing in rebuttal; you only state that it is "a "low standard of evidence".  Strike 1.

Micheal Scheuer was said to often have been frustrated with his superiors' inability to target terrorists and Osama bin Laden aggressively because of a law enforcement mentality. It's that law enforcement mentality that separates the United States from authoritarian regimes.

When dealing with criminals - I've stated that the law-enforcement mentality is inapproriate for approaching terrorists - terrorism is a tactic that is used by an enemy.  Again, you dismiss my statement and offer nothing in return.  Strike 2.

But anyways, here's a quote from his book, Imperial Hubris: "It is un-American to argue that only those with military experience can criticize military policy and operations."

When did we start discussing military policy?  This thread is about security issues - the reason people are questioning your statements and your credibility is because you make statements and don't back them up with anything credible.

That's not what I said, but quite obviously, they need to account for almost any possibility to avoid criticism should it somehow come about.

Well, you said "They have to account for these kinds of things so that they don't end up looking incompetent if something were to happen." - if that doesn't imply "hedging" or "Covering Your Ass", then I don't know what does.  Have you read these documents?  If you had, you'd have known that the focus on domestic attacks by ideological networks was a prime focus and not an "account for almost any possiblity".  Strike 3.

Three strikes - I'm forced to believe that your persistent chatter (what some call shit-disturbing) on this thread combined with your inability to back any of your claims at best puts you in violation of the "substantion" clause of the Conduct Guidelines (meaning you're just dumb) or at worse makes you an abject troll (meaning you have ill intent for these forums).  You're on the ramp and the green light is on - did you pack your chute?  Keep it up and you'll find out soon.

armywoman said:
In regards to the second paragraph, I worked for several years as a supervisor at an immigration detention centre.  They are given the chance to return, if they don't..they are put into detention.  It is not voluntary.  They are there whether they like it or not.

My point was that they are, as you say, "given the chance to return".  By contrast the inmates of "concentration camps", in the contemporary sense of the word, are not given the choice, for example:  Jews in Nazi Germany's extermination camps, woman in rape camps during the Bosnian civil war, or Boers (settlers of Durch origin) left to starve to death in the "original" concentration camps during the Boer war in South Africa. 

I have no problems with people stating that the detention system is harsh.  Still the use of detention centres by other nations such as Canada, France, Ireland, the US etc hasn't been commented apon as fiercely, if at all.  I have no issue with people questioning their value.  But to equate Australia's dentetion centres though a linquistic slight of hand to the actions of the Third Reich (go back a few pages), that is different territory....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/front/view/#rest

After a link to Frontline's website from another thread, I found this.  Take the time to watch it if you can, it is an excellent program.

Although it is focused on Europe in the aftermath of the Madrid bombings, it doesn't take much of a stretch to see the same threat within our own borders.  Marc Sageman, who is interviewed in the episode, has case studies which are particularly relevent to a reality of a threat to Canada.  His psychological profiles of Al Qaeda members zeros in on background, mentality, and the outlook that provide the necessary catalyst to drive middle class people to become jihadist militants.  Sageman's book goes into a detailed case study of the radicalization of the Montreal gang; it is well documented that the process of creating militant Salafi soldiers occurs within Canada.

How does this equal out to a threat to Canada?  Global Salafism isn't a group or a gang - it is, as described by Col Thomas Hammes' The Sling and the Stone, an ideological network.  The structure of the enemy is not physical organizations and command, but rather a connectivity based upon a common worldview.  Just as motivation is directed through an ideological network, so is planning, strategy and intent.  Osama bin Laden, although he was an active operative in the global Salafist campaign against the West, is not at the top of a pyramid.  Rather, his "call to arms", when combined with his street cred that he earned in the Afghan jihad and with his "Robin Hood" reputation with a large percentage of the mainstream Islamic population, is the center of a the web that is the ideological network.  His messages, his threats and his opinions travel out along the linkages of the web and resonate to those who have plugged themselves and their associates into the network.  The Frontline program discussed the "operational plan for Spain" that was attached to an Al Qaeda document.  This is not a direct order for a specific action to a specific person, but rather a message along the ideological network on what sort of action will support global Salafist goals.

Why would a conveyed message target us?  As Michael Sheuer points out in the program, it's about policies.  Iraq aside, Canada is very much in the Western Coalition that the global Salafist movement has targeted as an enemy of Islam.  Our policy with Afghanistan alone is enough to guarantee that there is a legitimate reason in the enemies eyes to hit us.  The options are to change our policies, which smacks of appeasement to a ruthless enemy who likes to cut heads off while chanting "Allahu Akbar", or to recognize that we are setting ourselves to be a target and to remain vigilant.  The enemy is out there, and the motive for his reasons to attack Canadians in their homes and places of work is written on the wall.

armyvern said:
Ill thought out comments such as the one above do little to establish your credibility, knowledge or experience in this area of discussion.
Be careful who you equate to being as equally mindless and unknowledgeable as yourself in this forum, as many of those you have decided know nothing or who 'mindlessly repeat' as you do, have in fact the experience and the first hand knowledge to back themselves up. That is something which you do not have. They will not be disclosing their knowledge of this to you in this forum...but just be advised that it is there.
Do not profess to assume that because 'you' personnaly have not heard or seen, that it does not exist. Not all is disclosed publicly, with very good reason. I do not think that you are high on the notify and contact list of CSIS and the RCMP etc.   ;) While others, due to their lines of work, do have the ocassional privy to some of this info.
Tell me, what evidence do you have that a student such as yourself would possibly have more accurate information, knowledge and first hand information on a terrorism-related matter which many member's in this forum deal with on a daily basis in their many and varied lines of work? They, not you, are the experts, although I just know you will argue this as well.
You seem to have a God complex - holier and haughtier - and always right although you have yet to place a single shred of evidence on this forum to secure your spot as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on Al Quaida or the threat of Terrorism to this country. Contrary to what you might think about yourself, you are not one, I believe that is why, each time some-one asks you for proof or substantiation of your claims, you revert to the same old 'lack of evidence or flimsy evidence' arguments over and over and over again. You have nothing constructive or concrete to add...just the same old rumblings so I believe that you like to hear yourself talk, therefore I have placed you on ignore.
I lend more credibility to those who speak from experience and first-hand knowledge over a person still in school any day.

Well said armyvern, you eloquently put exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately the SME-wannabee is an all-too common breed in many university political science classes. Ah well, all the more entertainment for myself.  :D 

armyvern said:
Ill thought out comments such as the one above do little to establish your credibility, knowledge or experience in this area of discussion.
Be careful who you equate to being as equally mindless and unknowledgeable as yourself in this forum, as many of those you have decided know nothing or who 'mindlessly repeat' as you do, have in fact the experience and the first hand knowledge to back themselves up. That is something which you do not have. They will not be disclosing their knowledge of this to you in this forum...but just be advised that it is there.
Do not profess to assume that because 'you' personnaly have not heard or seen, that it does not exist. Not all is disclosed publicly, with very good reason. I do not think that you are high on the notify and contact list of CSIS and the RCMP etc.  ;) While others, due to their lines of work, do have the ocassional privy to some of this info.
Tell me, what evidence do you have that a student such as yourself would possibly have more accurate information, knowledge and first hand information on a terrorism-related matter which many member's in this forum deal with on a daily basis in their many and varied lines of work? They, not you, are the experts, although I just know you will argue this as well.
You seem to have a God complex - holier and haughtier - and always right although you have yet to place a single shred of evidence on this forum to secure your spot as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on Al Quaida or the threat of Terrorism to this country. Contrary to what you might think about yourself, you are not one, I believe that is why, each time some-one asks you for proof or substantiation of your claims, you revert to the same old 'lack of evidence or flimsy evidence' arguments over and over and over again. You have nothing constructive or concrete to add...just the same old rumblings so I believe that you like to hear yourself talk, therefore I have placed you on ignore.
I lend more credibility to those who speak from experience and first-hand knowledge over a person still in school any day.

You've got serious problems if you're just going to assume people here know what they're talking about because are or were in the military and may possibly be privy to secret information. Then again, it seems to be that you just believe anything that already agrees with your views. I don't claim to be an expert on terrorism; I've never once said or implied it. A student such as myself has no more access to the kind of information you can have access to, and as someone who goes to school and doesn't work, I obviously have no first hand information. However, I do go to school to learn about this sort of thing, and the professors who lecture as theses classes are widely regarded to be experts.
What proof would you like me to post to support my claim that terrorists won't attack Canada? Would you like a sworn statement from every terrorist on the planet? There's no proof that terrorists will attack Canada, there's no evidence to suggest that terrorists will attack Canada, and there's no evidence that terrorists are plotting attacks on Canada.

RDBZ said:
ROB, you are hiding behind a missapplied and archaic definition of "concentration camp" that bears no resemblance to the contemporary meaning of the word.  You know that.  By your "interpretation" of the word, schools, and infectious deseases wards of hosptials are concentration camps. 

No, they aren't, because students and patients aren't sent to schools and hospitals, respectively, against their own will, where they are subject to imprisonment under harsh conditions.

RDBZ said:
You ignore the reality that illegal immigrants are given the choice of returning to a country where they have legal residency.  No one forces, or even encourages, them to take up the option of temporary detention untill their status is reviewed.  In fact, every effort is made to discourage them from taking that option.

First, they don't always have legal residency. In fact, a number of them don't, which not only makes it nearly impossible for them to apply to legally enter Australia, it also means they cannot return to their home country. Also, a number of them stay because they feel they're far less likely to be granted permission to reside in Australia if they leave.

RDBZ said:
Your comments about "harsh conditions" and the centres' supposed location in "Northern wastelands", reveal your ignorance, as do your comments about Australia generally.

Do you dispute the fact that they're kept under harsh conditions? Would you I prefer it if I referred to the "Northern wastelands" as Australia's "picturesque boreal solitudes" from now on?

RDBZ said:
Only one country in the word has a higher proption of foreign born residents and citizens than Australia (that country being Isreal).  Believe it or not, very few migrants return to their country of origin.  The only exception to this being immigrants from the UK.

Where did you get those statistics from? The nation with the highest proportion of foreign residents is Luxembourg, and the country that granted the most new citizenships was Canada, both based on 2000 statistics. If you have something newer, I'd like to see it.

Infanteer said:
I've put my evidence up in a logical and comprehensible manner - sure, it was open source and general, but it could get far more detailed if it was worth the time.  You've offered nothing in rebuttal; you only state that it is "a "low standard of evidence".  Strike 1.

My rebuttal is that what you consider to be evidence shouldn't be considered evidence at all. It's not enough to justify what you suggest it justifies.

Infanteer said:
When dealing with criminals - I've stated that the law-enforcement mentality is inapproriate for approaching terrorists - terrorism is a tactic that is used by an enemy.  Again, you dismiss my statement and offer nothing in return.  Strike 2.

The "law enforcement mentality" is the only appropriate mentality a western democratic nation can use. What Michael Schuer proposes not only borders on war crimes, it is also unjustifiable with by a county that is supposed to respect law and order.

Infanteer said:
Well, you said "They have to account for these kinds of things so that they don't end up looking incompetent if something were to happen." - if that doesn't imply "hedging" or "Covering Your ***", then I don't know what does.  Have you read these documents?  If you had, you'd have known that the focus on domestic attacks by ideological networks was a prime focus and not an "account for almost any possiblity".  Strike 3.

Again, I never said "hedging," you did.

Infanteer said:
Three strikes - I'm forced to believe that your persistent chatter (what some call crap-disturbing) on this thread combined with your inability to back any of your claims at best puts you in violation of the "substantion" clause of the Conduct Guidelines (meaning you're just dumb) or at worse makes you an abject troll (meaning you have ill intent for these forums).  You're on the ramp and the green light is on - did you pack your chute?  Keep it up and you'll find out soon.

You need to force yourself to believe something? If you try to ban me using a rule that was probably written to keep people from making libelous unsubstantiated comments, you'd be attacking the fact that I disagree with you.
What do I need to substantiate? The fact that what you consider to be evidence isn't evidence in the eyes of the Canadian judicial system? You agree with this, but you seem to think that for terrorism, Canada's standard of evidence can be thrown down a toilet and replaced with something much lower, which you haven't defined.

I have had enough of your nonsense:
R0B said:
You've got serious problems if you're just going to assume people here know what they're talking about because are or were in the military and may possibly be privy to secret information. Then again, it seems to be that you just believe anything that already agrees with your views. I don't claim to be an expert on terrorism; I've never once said or implied it. A student such as myself has no more access to the kind of information you can have access to, and as someone who goes to school and doesn't work, I obviously have no first hand information. However, I do go to school to learn about this sort of thing, and the professors who lecture as theses classes are widely regarded to be experts.
What proof would you like me to post to support my claim that terrorists won't attack Canada? Would you like a sworn statement from every terrorist on the planet? There's no proof that terrorists will attack Canada, there's no evidence to suggest that terrorists will attack Canada, and there's no evidence that terrorists are plotting attacks on Canada.

---------------------------------------------------

You need to force yourself to believe something? If you try to ban me using a rule that was probably written to keep people from making libelous unsubstantiated comments, you'd be attacking the fact that I disagree with you.
What do I need to substantiate? The fact that what you consider to be evidence isn't evidence in the eyes of the Canadian judicial system? You agree with this, but you seem to think that for terrorism, Canada's standard of evidence can be thrown down a toilet and replaced with something much lower, which you haven't defined.
and:
R0B said:
They're available to all people, but academic journals are typically only carried by research university libraries, due to their outrageous subscription costs, and most university libraries are not open to the public.

Provide links and documentation to back up your claims; cut the rhetoric or leave.

You haven't said anything concrete or factual....just that you believe in the preachings of some acedemics who have never left their Ivory Towers... give us proof.

R0B said:
However, I do go to school to learn about this sort of thing, and the professors who lecture as theses classes are widely regarded to be experts.

:rofl:

Yes, some guy in a tweed jacket is a terrorism "expert", while a room-full of soldiers are all just blowing hot air :p

Let me clue you in pal.  Proffesors generaly end up teaching because they're not much good for anything else.  That's why I've run circles around every damn computer teacher I've ever had:  those with true skills, qualifications, and talent generaly end up working somwhere where they can make a difference, and make a whole whackload of money.  The leftovers, the ones who can't find useful employment, generaly end up teaching.

Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.

Holy crap you guys are still humoring this guy?

I think youre all overlooking the fact that he wrote the pam on internationall terrorism, and is one of canada's most respected SMEs.

You're right rob. Every single person on this site (none of them have agreed with you yet) are all wrong, but you, in all your benevolent divine wisdom, are absolutely 100% correct.

Also, for a change, I agree with 48th and he's absolutely right.... if those guys were "experts" they wouldnt be sitting around teaching snot nosed know it alls like yourself.... they would be working for the government and advising DND on the most efficient means of fighting terrorism.

Why do you think that is ? Maybe theyre.... less than experts? much like yourself?  :o

"... they would be working for the government and advising DND on the most efficient means of fighting terrorism."

- An even scarier scenario than teaching university.  Leave'm where they are.  Better there than tenured at CSIS.

Tom

Anyhoo.....  ::)

Anyone have anything relevant to add, or has this one run its course?

Back