• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
Even Quebec was polling with support to air strikes against ISIS. Canada was at ~64% support, Quebec was ~53% from the Ipsos-Reid poll here: http://globalnews.ca/news/1595317/majority-of-canadians-back-use-of-fighter-jets-to-strike-isis-in-iraq/

I think JT is going to be on the losing end of this one, every town massacre, every journalist/humanitarian worker killed, makes their stance weaker and weaker. The only thing propping him up is the lefty media, and even they've started to focus more on the NDP vs Tories, as they came out against right from the start.

I think he's taking a gamble that with every civilian hit by coalition forces and god forbid a canadian become a casualty that the support will swing his way.  Something tells me he's being heavily advised by JC (not the holy version either  ;) )

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail¸is what I think is a pretty fair assessment of the Liberal campaign strategy for 2014/2015:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/in-the-2015-election-lead-up-trudeau-positions-himself-as-the-anti-harper/article21154844/?page=all#dashboard/follows/
gam-masthead.png

In the 2015 election lead-up, Trudeau positions himself as the anti-Harper

CAMPBELL CLARK
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Saturday, Oct. 18 2014

Justin Trudeau took only a few minutes after touring the University of Waterloo to take off his jacket and bound in front of a standing-room crowd at the Student Life Centre. For the next hour, he would speak without notes or Teleprompter, repeating questions into the mic so all could hear.

“What do I plan to do to engage youth in politics?” he said, looking around in mock surprise at the question, and then shrugged: “This.”

His audience laughs. He points out that the student union has asked all party leaders to do the same. “Somehow, I don’t think the Prime Minister is going to take them up on this invitation.”

It’s self-serving, but rings true. It is hard to imagine Stephen Harper sauntering across a college stage in shirtsleeves, promising shorter answers so more people can ask questions, or generally doing things the way Justin Trudeau does. Sometimes that seems to be the point of Justin Trudeau.

He is the anti-Harper. If the Liberals did not have him, they would be trying to build him. In some ways, they are.

web-trudeau-1017.JPG

Whereas Mr. Harper often paints politics as choosing between right and wrong and “standing up” for principles, Mr. Trudeau has titled the autobiography he will publish this week Common Ground. One year from an election scheduled for Oct. 19, 2015, that book is part of a bigger brand-building.

As federal politicians swing into what is effectively the county’s longest-ever election campaign, Mr. Trudeau has already given glimpses of his approach.

Between talks to students in Waterloo and the Chamber of Commerce in London, Ont., The Globe and Mail sat down with Mr. Trudeau, and found a man insisting that the process of building his political platform and approach is a key factor in setting him apart, and treating the policy platform as a final exam – insisting voters will be able to test his policy substance in the end.

“If, by the time they reach the ballot box, they’re not satisfied that I have demonstrated that – yeah, they have a right to ask about that,” he said. “In the meantime, a year out from the election, I’m not going to short-circuit some valuable conversations.”

But it is all building around a contrast of personae, of approach, rather than policy details. Clearly, many Liberals around Mr. Trudeau think that if there is a sentiment for change next year, it will not be driven just by disagreement with Mr. Harper’s policies so much as irritation with the way he does things after nine years in power. It is visceral. It will be a referendum on Stephen Harper’s persona, and Mr. Trudeau wants to be the other side.

And he is different. Mr. Trudeau keeps underlining it. Sometimes, he overreaches.

When opposing a Canadian combat mission in Iraq this month, he tried to show his reflexes are less war-like than Mr. Harper’s – but slipped into a glib blooper, warning Canada should not “whip out our CF-18s to show how big they are.” It played into his weakness: the perception that while Mr. Harper takes things seriously, Mr. Trudeau is not serious.

When it came to time to repair the damage, former prime minister Jean Chrétien stepped forward to defend his position on Iraq – a telling sign that the Liberal leader needed to borrow a cup of gravitas from a heavyweight.

He is open to charges he lacks policies. That has become a half-truth: He has taken stands on not reviving the gun registry, oil pipelines, RESPs, corporate taxes, the Senate, abortion, and yes, legalizing pot. But it is still a hodge-podge with many gaps. Parties have typically waited for the writs before releasing platforms, but his opponents, notably the NDP, are revealing policies early – pressuring him.

But as he speaks to students or supporters or business people on key electoral turf along southern Ontario’s Highway 401, many of the issues he raises underline the contrasts with Mr. Harper.

He talks about Mr. Harper’s failure to hold a premiers’ meeting, and suggests the country suffers without that kind of co-operation. He insists Mr. Harper is ideological: that his unwillingness to show concern for the environment is damaging Canada’s economic prospects, encouraging other countries, and First Nations, to reject Canadian resources.

He is specific about some things. He explains why he would keep corporate taxes unchanged, or why he favours the Keystone XL oil pipeline to the U.S. gulf coast but not the Northern Gateway through B.C.

There are also a lot of generalities. But amid vague statements about values are outlines of direction for his political strategy and his policy.

The next election, he told students in London, will be about the economy and how it treats those who feel vulnerable in the middle class. Mr. Harper will offer tax cuts, but Mr. Trudeau says he will offer policies he frames as pro-growth, like spending on infrastructure and job training.

Yes, he tells a questioner, a national daycare program should be a priority, but growth-oriented spending comes first, and he wants to see what the budget surplus will be.

On other social programs, you can learn Mr. Trudeau’s approach, if not his policy. When a student asked about the high cost of tuition, the Liberal Leader said society has an interest in more people going to university, and so it should invest in that – up to the point where it is good for society as a whole. So instead of giving $1,000 to everyone who goes to university, it is better to give $5,000 to those people “for whom it makes the difference of going to school” or not. In other words, government should spend up to the point that it benefits society, not just the individual.

But of course, politics can get in the way of planning, and the real trick in policy is the details. Mr. Trudeau did not offer any.

He insists he wants people to see an “iterative” process that they can join to develop policies where he outlines “how I see the issues, how I see finding solutions to the issues.”

“I think it’s a big contrast against what people see a lot in politics, which is, ‘These are the talking points, this is what we’re sticking to, and I’m broadcasting one way to you,’” he said in the interview in London. “I’m a teacher. I believe in sort of sharing in a discussion and coming out of it with new insights on both sides.”

It may not be so easy to stick with such a long process. The NDP is releasing policies now – it has already proposed a national child care plan. If Mr. Trudeau does not reply for seven months, he may find himself again facing the perception that he lacks substance.

While Conservatives complain Mr. Trudeau tops opinion polls without a complete policy book, there is another side of the equation: Mr. Harper has slipped and his policies are not really the problem.

Polls regularly show a plurality of Canadians approve of Mr. Harper’s handling of the economy or foreign policy. Ipsos-Reid found 49 per cent of Canadians approve of his record – but 67 per cent want another party to take over.

Perhaps it is Mr. Harper’s persona that polarizes. When another pollster, Angus Reid Global, asked Canadians what attributes they ascribe to world leaders like Mr. Harper, the composite was that he is secretive but strategic.

Those who voted Conservative in 2011 think he is strong and credible. Those who voted NDP or Liberal called him uncaring and a bully.

Many Liberals say they think that, outside his Conservative support base, irritation with Mr. Harper is solidifying. Perhaps people who feel that way will be motivated to turn out to vote, and to band behind whoever is more likely to beat him. Perhaps they will look to someone who strikes them as very unlike Mr. Harper.

And if they want a contrast of style, it is more likely to be Mr. Trudeau than Thomas Mulcair. The NDP Leader is sharp and strong-willed, but seen as scarcely more upbeat than the Prime Minister.

The other side of embracing Mr. Trudeau’s contrasts with Mr. Harper is emphasizing what people like about the PM.

“The number one thing the Prime Minister has going for him is that he’s serious,” one former aide said. Even people who do not like him think he works at it, and is credible. He likes to make tough decisions, and people see that. He is not trying to look warm and fuzzy. “He doesn’t want people to see him as the guy you’d have a beer with. He says the job is making decisions.”

The plan is to use a team – star candidates, a former general, and economic players such as Morneau Sheppell chair Bill Morneau or former Business Council of Manitoba president Jim Carr – to counter the public’s questions about whether Mr. Trudeau has the same substance.

Liberals say their leader is not too proud to hire and rely on the right people. Now the question is whether Canadians will want a political chairman of the board, or a hands-on CEO like Mr. Harper.

There is no doubt Mr. Trudeau has remodelled Canadian politics, taking his third party in the Commons to front-runner in the polls.

Does he think Canadians take him seriously now? His eyes darken when he answers: “My opponents do.”

It is clear that many voters have not drawn their conclusions yet. In every crowd, there is interest, and those who ask for pictures, and leave smiling. At the University of Western Ontario, he followed an hour-long, no-notes talk to students with 20 minutes of posing for selfies with them. But some are disappointed. They want to know where the contrasts lead.

“The only thing I’d heard about Trudeau was the weed thing, and I was hoping he’d have some other ideas,” said Alex Tonelotto, a 20-year-old international relations student. “It was more general. Bring Canada together – what does that mean?”

I know I'm repeating myself, but: almost 20% of Canadians will vote Conservative and another 20% will vote Liberal no matter what; 15% will vote NDP and 5% will vote Green and so on ... but that means that 35%+ of Canadians can be persuaded to vote one way or the other. Not since John G Diefenbaker in the 1950s have 50%+ of Canadian voted for one political party; election are won with 35-45% of the popular vote. Forty percent is, generally, thought to equal a working majority but a majority can be had with 37%, if the vote is very efficient and 42% can still produce a minority if your votes are too concentrated in specific regions. As a general rule, then, that 35% of independent voters needs to split 2:1 for either the Conservatives or the Liberals.

My sense of what I read/hear is that is that Canadians really "like" M. Trudeau by about 2:1 over Prime Minister Harper, but, as some of the comments in the article suggest, it's not clear that they trust his judgment. I also believe that Canadian, generally, understand Prime Minister Harper; they don't like him very much but they know what to expect; my guess is that Canadians don't, yet, "get" M. Trudeau; they like him, he's a very nice young man, but they aren't sure about his abilities.

There's one other factor: age. Older people vote; younger people don't bother. Prime Minister Harper is more popular with older people, M. Trudeau is more popular with younger people.

I think running away from policies - strong suits for both Prime Minister Harper and M. Mulcair - is a good tactic, for now. But, later in 2015 I think the Liberals must go head-to-head with both the CPC and the NDP on policy and I also think that both the CPC and NDP are, already depriving the Liberals of several useful policy planks. He is, as The Star suggests, "getting squeezed from left and right."

An interesting infographic provided (via Twitter) by journalist david Akin:L

B0VEIYFIEAAy4ZM.jpg

If th same rates[/.i] apply in the coming year then the election in Oct 25 might look something like this:

BQ:    5%
Cons: 33%
Libs:  29%
NDP:  27%

While the following quote relates to the Winnipeg civic election, it may illustrate why the Libs might have an uphill fight:

...does not plan to vote in the upcoming election, but she wants to.

“I want to vote for this one dude because he came and knocked on my door. He seemed pretty sweet but I can’t remember his name,” she said.

“He was like, kind of mid-height, slimmer, kind of balding. Gordon something? He seemed pretty chill. But my boyfriend wants to vote for Judy Wash-the-dishes or something. Actually he didn’t want to vote for her because she wants to raise taxes or some crap.”

Harper said she doesn’t expect herself, or young people in general, to vote in future elections.

“I totally want to vote, but honestly we don’t care. We don’t care to vote,” she said.

Sometimes you just want to go door to door and punch people in the face.

That same bovine creature who could not even muster up enough brain cells to remember a candidate's name or go and vote will be screaming long and loud about how she disagrees with/hates what the government is doing in 2016....

E.R. Campbell said:
An interesting infographic provided (via Twitter) by journalist david Akin:L

B0VEIYFIEAAy4ZM.jpg

If th same rates[/.i] apply in the coming year then the election in Oct 25 might look something like this:

BQ:    5%
Cons: 33%
Libs:  29%
NDP:  27%

I'm trying to remember what occured in the 2011-12 timeline that impacted the Liberals - attack adds?

The attack adds were a big part of it ("Just Visiting" was pretty damning), but the lack of any sort of coordinated Liberal messaging really killed them. Do you remember anything about the Liberal platform? Even Stephan Dion's "Green Shift" was more coherent and actually stood for something (and most people can remember it as well).

Since the Liberals still don't have any message or coherent platform, squeezing them from the Left and Right makes perfect sense (after all, when the Liberals finally come up with something, it will simply look like trying to "me too" the CPC or NDP platform). The Young Dauphin's constant "Foot in Mouth" will also do more to hurt the Liberal's credibility than anything the other parities can do, eventually he will have made enough gaffes that even the most "severely normal" and non partisan Canadian will realize just how out of touch and out of depth the Young Dauphin really is.

Ah, well the Media Party will take care of Trudeau, and in a different way Harper.

Three examples  below. Plus a bonus, the new Chatelaine magazine issue has a fawning feature on Mr. T, and tonight CTV W5 will do the same. Sickening.

http://abearsrant.com/2014/10/the-conservative-obsession.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ABearsRant+%28A+Bear%27s+Rant%29

Justin Trudeau – Much Ado About Nothing - 19 Oct 14

Excerpts:

There has been more talk about Canada’s Peter Pan for the past sixteen months and a bit than any other politician or political topic. A quick search of “Justin Trudeau” on Google returned 2.45 million hits compared to only 878, 000 for Stephen Harper who is not only Canada’s Prime Minister but who has been in the public eye about four times longer than Trudeau. Indeed, pick a subject and even if Trudeau isn’t a part of it, his detractors and supporters alike will find some way to weave him into it.

More than 20,000 news stories and commentary have been published about Justin Trudeau in four of Canada’s major newspapers and on three television networks alone over the past two years. I know this because I ran a search for both Stephen Harper and Justin Trudeau on each of their websites. The total number of stories and commentary about Trudeau works out to an average of 27 a day although to be honest, some days have fewer than others. Add to that local newspapers, radio commentary and magazine articles and you begin to wonder how we find time for anything or anyone else.

http://bcblue.wordpress.com/2014/10/

Trudeau outs Media Party members for helping write his ‘memoir’
- 18 Oct 14

The Media Party is in full-campaign mode pimping Liberal leader Justin Trudeau’s memoir with fawning, fluff interviews but the Star’s Susan Delacourt may have slipped up with this gem:

The actual writing of the book was a group effort. Trudeau sat down with various interviewers (including the National Post’s Jonathan Kay), and then the taped recollections were sorted by editors and advisers.
(see here)

So, either Trudeau ‘stole’ these Media Party members’ news material which, led by the CBC is colluding to keep from the Conservatives (see here), or they gave it willingly to help him ‘write’ this book.

Also: See earlier post where Kay goes out of his way to smear Sun News after they dared to expose Trudeau campaigning in an extremist mosque here

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/untitled-yet---.html#more

Yes, Virginia, there is a Media Party - October 18, 2014

This is aardvarking unbelievable.

The online webpage of Toronto newspaper the Star is running a free 4-minute promo-piece/campaign ad for Justin Trudeau that auto-plays when you click on the link to what appears to be a newspaper article.

The blatant campaign ad - because that's what it is - is titled "Justin Trudeau's intimate conversation with Susan Delacourt". It's a curious title, because Delacourt is not seen or heard once in the entire four minute promo piece, which has on-screen chapter headings, brief moments showing Trudeau reading from his own memoir, and a video-scrapbook of lovingly presented images, processed with the Ken Burns effect, set to Trudeau's practiced, pandering voiceover.

This raises some serious questions.

How much did the Star pay for the production of this very professional looking, thinly-veiled campaign ad masquerading as an adjunct to an article about Trudeau's memoir? Does the Star have its own paid highly professional video/film production team on standby capable of making such a polished piece, or did they pay an outside production company to make it?

One would have to assume for the unknowing moment that the Liberal Party didn't produce or pay for it, or for any part of it, and that the Star didn't use or consult with even one single member of Trudeau's team to help write or craft or produce the video. But the Star broadcast it on the internet for free, with no trace of any reportage, or any commentary other than Trudeau's, under the guise of a "News / Insight" article. In doing so, is the Star acting as a journalistic organization, or as a member of Trudeau's election team?

If a news organization broadcasta over the internet a fawning, hagiographic puff-piece-slash-campaign ad, with a cloying, saccharine, daytime TV- music soundtrack, what does it say about the impartiality and quality of the rest of their "news" reporting?

Welcome to the Media Party Consortium's current modus operandi: Networks collude behind-the-scenes to try to keep paid Conservative ads off the airwaves if the ads use even one second of footage of Justin Trudeau. Almost simultaneously, scores of pundits, many of them from the print divisions of those same broadcast organizations, decry and vilify Conservative attempts to solidify long-standing legal precedents of fair usage of such footage. Now, a national newspaper broadcasts over the internet, and almost certainly produces and pays for, a clip that gives every appearance of being little more than an extended Justin Trudeau ad.

Anyone see a pattern here?

"What a pleasant young man.  Let's appoint him to make important decisions affecting our lives."

Does the preceding describe your thinking?  Then please recuse yourself from voting, ever.

I routinely suggest that, on matters of foreign and defence policy, we should treat the Globe and Mail's Jeffrey Simpson's views with a grain of salt, but that we can trust his views on Canadian politics - a field in which he is very well versed. It is also a generally accepted fact that Mr. Simpson is not a huge fan of Prime Minister Stephen Harper. But, here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, are his thoughts, a full year out, on what he thinks might, indeed can happen in a fall 2015 general election:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/harpers-demise-is-greatly-exaggerated/article21294082/#dashboard/follows/?=2
gam-masthead.png

Harper’s demise is greatly exaggerated

JEFFREY SIMPSON
The Globe and Mail

Published Saturday, Oct. 25 2014

A year from now, Stephen Harper could be rearranging his cabinet, planning what comes next and savouring yet another election victory, chants of “four more years” still ringing in his ears:

On election night in Calgary, Oct. 19, 2015, he had told the country he would bring more of the same: lower taxes, smaller government, and a “principled” foreign policy. He had pledged to fight terrorism
    in Canada and abroad, arguing that his party could keep the country “safe” in a “dangerous” world. His “jobs and prosperity” platform, coupled with the exposure of his Liberal opponent Justin Trudeau
    as an intellectual lightweight, had put Mr. Harper back in 24 Sussex Dr.

Of course, the Prime Minister had decided privately that he wouldn’t stay for all four years of his mandate. That would be really pressing fate. But two or three more years? Why not? More time yet to
    remake Canada in a conservative shape.

Harper-haters out there, calm down. This is only conjecture of the idle kind that can neither be proven nor rejected. No one knows what will happen a year from now.

Listening to pollsters and pundits these days, a year before the vote, they have Mr. Harper dead and buried. A few even have him resigning next year in order to avoid certain, ignominious defeat. Still others think he’ll call the election right after the late-winter budget to maximize his chance of winning. Still others predicted an election call after the fall economic statement, and will soon be forced to eat their predictions.

The foolishness of most predictions is directly related to the amount of prattle about the political future. Prattle fills air time, gives talking heads a chance to sound learned and passes the time harmlessly, in large part because so few citizens actually care.

Mr. Harper might well be toast today. But toast tends to pop up at a fixed point in time. So what does he have up his sleeve? Plenty, and Harper-haters ain’t seen nothing yet.

Start with money. Campaign spending limits don’t begin until the writ is issued. Before that point, parties can spend what they raise or have in the bank, which means that Mr. Harper’s Conservatives can outspend the other parties. And the Conservatives will do so with advertising, especially of the negative variety against Mr. Trudeau.

They have government money, too, to spend on television, targeted radio and ethnic newspaper advertising for government programs with a heavy political spin. The Harper Conservatives, supposedly so tight with the “hard-earned taxpayer dollars,” are shameless about this.

They have a budgetary surplus. It won’t be splashed across the country – rather, it will be targeted directly at swaths of the electorate that vote Conservative or might. Critics will howl at lousy tax policy; the Conservatives won’t care a fig. If, as the other parties insist, the election is about the worries of the middle-class, which party has best demonstrated a fixation with the Tim Hortons vote?

Better still, the Conservatives have the Liberals (and the New Democrats for that matter) on side. Neither of the other parties dares propose rolling back any of the personal income tax reductions or the two-point drop in the GST.

They’ve bought into the Conservatives’ essential message that lower taxes are good. So the Conservatives have fundamentally won that crucial debate, because all the NDP will do is propose higher corporate taxes, while the Liberals … well, who knows what they will do?

Nobody targets voters better than the Conservatives; nobody drives wedge issues better than the Conservatives; nobody ties foreign policy better to domestic groups (think Jews, Tamils and others) than the Conservatives; nobody can subtly use domestic terror attacks for political purposes better. With just 40 per cent of the electorate needed for a majority victory, who says the party can’t make up the current gap with the Liberals? The pollsters.

Mr. Trudeau has published a book about himself. Alas, he’s also filled a small pamphlet with his verbal gaffes. It was telling last week that former prime minister Jean Chrétien had to ride to his rescue with a column (negotiated behind the scenes) to put some modest coherence into Mr. Trudeau’s position on Canadian participation in the mission against the Islamic State.

Mr. Trudeau has not yet been through the campaign wars. Mr. Harper has, and he takes no prisoners. Reports of the Prime Minister’s political death, a year before the election, are likely premature. At the very least, a modesty of predictive certainty is warranted.

Many commentators, including Mr. Simpson and his colleague Lawrence Martin at the Good Grey Globe, and Paul Wells at Maclean's, have suggested that Prime Minister Harper's aim, for the past decade plus, has been, and remains, to make Canada a much more conservative country. I would agree and I would also suggest that he has succeeded. I doubt that M. Trudeau can "do a Chrétien," essentially 'write off' most of the West and even much of Quebec and sweep Ontario as he did in 1993 (winning 98 of 99 seats in Ontario), 1997 (101 of 103 seats) and, again, in 2000 (winning 100 of 103 seats there). The 'Harper Conservatives' are not the 'Manning Reform Party.' The Conservatives have made real, solid gains in rural and suburban Ontario, probably as close to permanent gains as one can imagine in Canadian politics.

I think that the Conservatives have, willingly, lost ground in both Atlantic Canada and Quebec. I can well imagine that they could be swept out of almost all their seats in both regions. I think it is likely that they will end up with less than 15 seats in the five eastern provinces (down from the 20 or so they hold today). I think they will hold most of the 70+ seats they know hold West of Ontario and gain some of the 12 new seats, too. That brings the Conservatives to, say, 90+ seats. Ontario will have 121 seats in 2015. The CPC currently holds over 70 of them. If they have 95 seats in Canada beyond Ontario they need to win 75 of the 121 in Ontario to form a bare majority. That's a big task, even a daunting one.

The tasks for both Opposition Leader Thomas Mulcair and M. Trudeau are even more daunting. M. Mulcair must advance from 100ish to 170 and M. Trudeau must add 135+ seats to the ones he currently holds ... 135 seats he must win away from the BQ (not too hard), the Conservatives and the NDP.

Although your election math seems correct, I wonder if the CPC could play a spoiler role in Atlantic Canada and Quebec by aggressive campaigning there? Or is the more certain path to leave the field for a punishing Liberal/NDP cage match instead?

Spreading the Fog of War in these regions might have certain advantages for the CPC, and is a tactic they may be considering (although I would have to think very long and hard about how this would work and what the expected results should be).

Although some recent polls have suggested that the CPC can be/even will be 'shout out' of Atlantic Canada, I believe that is too optimistic or pessimistic - according to your own political point of view. I think my math  (15 seats, maybe even more) East of the Ottawa River and 75+ seats West of Ontario. That makes it a "battle of Ontario."

121 seats at stake.

If I'm right, and I concede it's a Big IF then the CPC has the easiest task of the three: win 70 of those 121 seats.

The Liberals and the NDP must, first, battle it out in Quebec and Atlantic Canada (78+10+4+11+7=110 seats of which I believe 95 are available for the other parties) and my current guess is that they might split something like this:

Region  BQ  CPC  Lib  NDP  Others
Quebec  10    5      25    35        3    = 78
Atlantic  0    10    11    11      0      = 32

If the CPC can , indeed, take 75 of the 104 seats West of Ontario then that leaves the Greens, Liberals and NDP with only 29 to divide. lets give the Greens the 1 they have (Elizabeth May's) and the Liberals 14 and the NDP 14. After giving one territorial to each of the three major parties, that brings them to:

CPC    91 )                        needs    78 of 121 seats to win a bare majority
LPC    51 )  Headed into    needs 118 of 121 seats  "    "  "    "        "
NDP    61 )  Ontario (121)  needs 108 of 121    "      "    "  "    "        "
Others 14 )

Edit: typo

what makes you think the BQ will get 10 seats? they're in shambles now.

cryco said:
what makes you think the BQ will get 10 seats? they're in shambles now.

The NDP victory in Quebec is an aberration. The BQ will be back. Personally, I think that 10 seats is to low, I predict at least 20.

I think that, according to this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, M. Trudeau may have just given himself yet another self inflicted wound:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/income-splitting-leave-it-to-trudeau/article21293240/
gam-masthead.png

Leave it to Trudeau

KONRAD YAKABUSKI
The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Oct. 27 2014

It’s become a familiar refrain: What was Justin Trudeau thinking? And the Liberal Leader has done it again, vowing to repeal any tax cuts Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government adopts before the next election.

“What I see across the country is that no one is telling me that we’re going to be able to resolve the big challenges [we face] with more [tax] cuts,” Mr. Trudeau told Radio-Canada last week.

A Liberal government would “invest” future budget surpluses – expected to total tens of billions of dollars over the next five years, barring a prolonged shock to the economy – in infrastructure, education, innovation and helping the provinces tackle health-care costs.

On one level, this makes political sense. Half of Canadians already get more income from government transfers than they pay in income tax. About 36 per cent of adult Canadians pay no income tax at all, so tax relief won’t win their votes. And polls show that health care, education and public transit are big voter priorities.

Yet, by vowing to reverse Conservative tax relief before it’s even announced, it’s as if Mr. Trudeau is writing the Prime Minister’s talking points for him. Mr. Harper aims to leave more money in voters’ pockets – and Mr. Trudeau would turn around and pick them? Even Thomas Mulcair, whose New Democrats are supposedly left of the Liberals, won’t take that bait. He promises that the NDP “won’t touch” personal taxes.

Mr. Trudeau appears to be going on the assumption that Finance Minister Joe Oliver will spend as much as $3-billion annually of projected budget surpluses on income splitting. The debate over that unfulfilled 2011 election promise has become the closest thing Canada has to a culture war.

To recap, the Tories promised, once the budget is balanced, to allow couples with children under 18 to transfer as much as $50,000 in income from one spouse to the other for tax purposes. That would allow the higher-earning partner to shift part of their income to a lower-earning spouse, who is taxed at a lower rate.

Currently, single-earner couples pay more income tax than two-income couples with the same household revenue. Even among two-income households, there is inequity. A couple earning $70,000 and $30,000, respectively, generally pays more overall tax than partners who each earn $50,000.

Opponents of the Tory proposal don’t deny there’s inequity. But they suspect Mr. Harper’s aim is to take us back to a Leave It to Beaver world, where women are stay-at-home moms dependent on their breadwinner husbands. There’s something to this. Plenty of Tory MPs betray a soft spot for Beaver’s world.

The Mowat Centre, a liberal Ontario think tank, says that income splitting would discourage women from working by “introducing a tax benefit that is optimized when one spouse stays at home.” This “raises significant concerns about gender equity [and] women’s bargaining power and welfare within the home.”

What’s more, income splitting would do nothing to ease the tax burden of single people, couples without children or single-parent families. Most of the benefits would accrue to well-off couples who don’t need tax relief. And because most provinces would have to follow Ottawa’s move, income splitting would weaken their already shaky balance sheets. It would cost Ontario alone more than $1-billion a year.

Even Mr. Oliver’s predecessor, the late Jim Flaherty, expressed his own reservations (or floated a trial balloon) about income splitting when he said: “I’m not sure it benefits our overall society.”

With so many trashing the Conservative proposal, Mr. Trudeau might feel safe promising to repeal it if Mr. Oliver introduces the measure in his fall fiscal update or next budget. But the Liberals risk a backlash.

According to the government’s latest trial balloon, Mr. Oliver is thinking of introducing a modified form of income splitting that would restrict the benefit to working- and middle-class couples with children under 6. That would vastly reduce its cost and insulate the Tories against charges that they are favouring the rich.

The Conservatives have no doubt tested a limited income splitting plan in polls and focus groups and found it to be a winner. Even voters who couldn’t immediately take advantage of it would presumably like having the option of income splitting in the future – not just those in Beaver’s world, but women with busy careers and prospective stay-at-home dads, too. Even, gasp, gay couples.

What was Mr. Trudeau thinking, anyway? Or was he?

Let's go back to my "numbers game." I gave the Liberal and the NDP most of Atlantic Canada, almost all of Quebec and good slices of Ontario and British Columbia. In fact, I'm going to concede ALL the seats in urban Montreal (about 30 of 78 seats), Toronto/Ottawa/Hamilton/London (50) and Vancouver (20) to the Liberals and the NDP, that's 100 of the 150+ seats I was already conceding to them. But, it is the suburbs that matter and people in the suburbs are, broadly and generally, not amongst the "half of Canadians [who] already get more income from government transfers than they pay in income tax." That half, the dependent half, live, disproportionately in dense urban ridings or they have other concerns which may make them ripe for Conservative policies and programmes. In other words, I think M. Trudeau is singing to the choir.

Memo to Justin:
20130702-101420-g.jpg

You've already won Toronto, you need to win in Kelowna and Red Deer,
in Swift Current and Brandon, and in Pickering and Ajax, and in Fredericton
and Fundy-Royal, too ... places where income splitting, for example, is going
to be popular.

In short, you need to win here ...

northbattleford.jpg

... I'm not sure you have a ghost of a chance.

You raise a good point. When we see these polls all we know for sure is that 1000 or so folks were polled nationwide. What we don't know is the distribution. I wager that these calls happen more often in the urban ridings than in the rural ones. That, in itself, is enough to skew the results. If, as you say the Liberals and NDP have already won the "downtown" (and I'll give you that), then the distribution of the polling calls would necessarily reflect that.

Justin Trudeau is doing what no other liberal leader in the past has been able to do: Push me to vote conservative.
Income splitting would be a godsend for me (wife's at home, i make the dough). Combine it with his lack of support for Harper's move to send some military assistance in the middle east and lastly, his oh so f**@#ng annoying theatrical way of speaking and tada!

I am not sure what to make of polls now.  We have had several instances in recent years of polls not lining up with the results (BC, Alberta, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc,. etc., etc.) that I am really starting to question the methodology of modern polling (or polling conducted in modern times).  Now, more than ever, I agree that "polls are for dogs".

The comedy practically writes itself:

The Young Dauphin says he is "going to help the middle class", then talks about preemptively raising taxes and taking away income splitting: the Young Dauphin kicks the middle class right in the teeth.

Then again, the Young Dauphin does not know what the middle class actually is, so this is no surprise...

I fondly remember when Liberals were howling about the Conservatives' failure to uphold a 0.5% slice of income tax announced by Liberals in the throes of election foreplay.  I like their sense of integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back