• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drowned kid - the BS thickens:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/drowned-syrian-boys-father-says-blames-canada-tragedy-194648459.html

http://www.smh.com.au/world/migrant-crisis/aylan-kurdis-father-is-a-people-smuggler-woman-claims-20150911-gjkt2m.html

Maybe we shouldn't be overcome by guilt.

George Wallace said:
And another candidate about to bite the dust:  NDP candidate Katherine Swampy.

Katherine Swampy, an Alberta candidate for the NDP, is now under the microscope online for photos of her husband posing for photos "gangsta style" with a pistol supporting gang related tattoos, as well as some other photos of her online. 

I don't think I have ever seen an election with as much muck raking as this one.

I would argue that this is the first election truly fought on and with social media.  We have a whole generation now that post before they think.  Imagine what a campaign in the 2020's will look like.  This is a new reality. When I look at some of the benign stupid things I said and did in my youth I'm glad that all we had were our memories of the moment.

Remius said:
I would argue that this is the first election truly fought on and with social media.  We have a whole generation now that post before they think.  Imagine what a campaign in the 2020's will look like.  This is a new reality. When I look at some of the benign stupid things I said and did in my youth I'm glad that all we had were our memories of the moment.

Paraphrasing a familiar line from the Royal Canadian Air Farce: "You got that right!"

George Wallace said:
And another candidate about to bite the dust:  NDP candidate Katherine Swampy.

Katherine Swampy, an Alberta candidate for the NDP, is now under the microscope online for photos of her husband posing for photos "gangsta style" with a pistol supporting gang related tattoos, as well as some other photos of her online. 

I don't think I have ever seen an election with as much muck raking as this one.
I would grab a bunch of 18 year olds, pay them whatever they wanted and tell them too go through all the social media of all the candidates.

This is getting stupid.

George Wallace said:
I don't think I have ever seen an CANADIAN election with as much muck raking as this one.

FTFY

You must not pay attention to US elections then.  ;D

Altair said:
I would grab a bunch of 18 year olds, pay them whatever they wanted and tell them too go through all the social media of all the candidates.

This is getting stupid.

Well.  From what I have witnessed of the NDP so far, I am sure that Katherine Swampy's story will be swept under the carpet and forgotten.  I am not at all impressed with their ignoring their faults and mostly their Debts.  I am even less impressed with Mulcair's recent comments on not just the CAF participation in the war on IS, but matching Trudeau's comments to bring several thousand refugees into Canada before the end of the year.  Both prove to me to be very naive comments, and lacking in any concepts of National Security. 

And just because we all know that the wheels have fallen off the CPC campaign ...

tumblr_n8tayj2IkK1qaoymeo1_500.gif

12009803_1224702004222807_1707713528431543503_n.jpg

Source: EKOS from iPolitics

Scott said:
Ohhhh Altairrrrrrr!  :whistle:

I'm kidding you. I know this can change pretty fast.
Very interesting. Seems to go against everything we've been seeing for the past month or so. I'll be concerned if I see this becoming a trend.

And the Forum/Red Star poll has the Conservatives up 4 % from last week and 5 % from a week before

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html#polls

I questioned whether anyone who would vote Conservative would want unrestricted immigration from Syria - I guess I now get my answer.  Unrestricted immigration from Syria scares the hell out of everyone but Mulcair and Trudeau.

My hypothetical musing for the day:

If no party wins a majority, and the Conservatives remain in government and try to bring forward a budget, then:

1.  The NDP and Liberals band together to defeat it;

2.  Some sort of deal is struck between the NDP and Liberals whereby the party with the most seats forms government (assuming the Governor General gives them a chance);

3.  That party introduces a budget that the other party can support, so that the government can stay in power long enough to...

4.  Get legislation through to replace the first past the post election system with another system that will ensure that the Conservatives cannot form a majority government with their current level of support.

After which, the deal expires and the parties return to the usual power struggle.

Or

4) Hang on long enough to raise the 25M necessary for a normal length campaign....which the Conservatives will have the day after the election, given that they will spend 50M, and get half of that back from taxpayers after the election.

Privateer said:
2.  Some sort of deal is struck between the NDP and Liberals whereby the party with the most seats forms government (assuming the Governor General gives them a chance);

GG likely won't believe them now. Muclair is curiously silent on the issue, and Trudeau has publicly said no to a formal coalition. He'd have no reason to believe they'd work together, and we'd have another election right away.

Privateer said:
My hypothetical musing for the day:

If no party wins a majority, and the Conservatives remain in government and try to bring forward a budget, then:

1.  The NDP and Liberals band together to defeat it;

3.  That party introduces a budget that the other party can support, so that the government can stay in power long enough to...

4.  Get legislation through to replace the first past the post election system with another system that will ensure that the Conservatives cannot form a majority government with their current level of support.

After which, the deal expires and the parties return to the usual power struggle.

OR

Heavens to Betsy - the Conservatives win a clear majority in the House.

PuckChaser said:
GG likely won't believe them now. Muclair is curiously silent on the issue, and Trudeau has publicly said no to a formal coalition. He'd have no reason to believe they'd work together, and we'd have another election right away.

While Trudeau has said no coalition, he has also said that he would support legislation of a minority government on a case-by-case basis.  In my hypothetical, I suspect that Mulcair/Trudeau would go to the GG with an assurance that the other party would support the budget (the main details of which would have been worked out beforehand).  I think that there is a good chance the GG would give them a chance.

Supporting case by case is significantly different than a formal coalition that the GG would support to allow them to form a government. The NDP has to prove they have the confidence of the house, and if Trudeau is only willing to support on certain issues, then they would not have a majority of MPs to be able to show that support.

I really doubt the Liberals would put their name to a NDP budget, especially if they're going to be second fiddle.

It makes no sense for the Liberals to ever support an NDP government.  Once the NDP govern, the Liberals are dead.  Case closed.  Despite the fact that supporting an NDP government would likely kill the Liberals, Trudeau would do it.  Dad's name, mom's brain.

But it does make sense if the budget is bland enough, and you get electoral reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back