• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
E.R. Campbell said:
I wonder if there are lessons in the recent UYK election for the Conservative Party of Canada ... this aricle, about Prime Minister Cameron's campaign manager, Lynton Crosby, called the "Wizard of Oz" for his tactical acumen, is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Mail Online:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3073850/The-Wizard-Oz-Cameron-s-sweeping-success-Election-guru-Lynton-Crosby-credited-winning-campaign.html
I also read that the centrepiece of Mr Crosby's campaign strategy was to focus on only those seats that were competitive (a two or three way race) and in which Tories had a fighting chance to win. He ignored the sure "losers" (bridge players will understand that) and paid scant attention ot the sure winners.

So, lessons:

1. Personality (passion about issues) matters ~ that's easier for M Trudeau than it is for Messers Harper and Mulcair, but Prime Minister Harper can (has in the past) shown some "passion" for some issues. He needs to do so, again;

2. Fight where you can win ~ that's the suburbs and small cities/towns for the CPC;

3. Well crafted, well timed attack ads work ~ damned well, sometime; and

4. People's biases and fears are fair game ~ go for it.

According to an article in Maclean's magazine Prime Minister Harper's campaign has called on Mr Crobsy, the Wizard of Oz, to back up Jenni Byrne (see my comments on trouble in the CPC campaign, made earlier today).

Privateer said:
Yes, I have the album.  The quality of his speeches to the House makes you weep for the current quality of speech in our own House, regardless of whether you agree with his position.

What a great find - thanks for that.  I too weep for what we currently have....

E.R. Campbell said:
David Akin reports that, "The Conservative Party of Canada - Parti conservateur du Canada just lost another candidate: Tim Dutaud is out. Apparently he is YouTube's "Unicaller" (Watch below). Dutaud was running against NDP incumbent Craig Scott in Toronto-Danforth, a riding he had no hope of winning. He's the second candidate the Conservatives lost today. The other guy out is Jerry Bance, caught on a CBC program a couple of years ago peeing into a mug ... Well, scroll down to have this one explained. Bance, too, was running in a riding the Conservatives were almost certain to lose."

More on Tim Dutaud, here, and on Jerry Bance, here.

giphy.gif

But it's not only Conservatives, as David Akin, again, reports: "The Liberal candidate in South-Surrey White Rock, Joy Davies, has resigned. She argued pregnant women could not harm their baby by smoking pot and that smoking pot at home with children would not harm children. The Liberals say her views "in no way" reflect the values of the party."

tumblr_mwdtoz2ybG1rk74v1o1_400.gif

The centrepiece of Liberal policy: 2015

Altair said:
Long time to go yet, but I strongly disagree with the nonchalant stance by many regarding the conservative campaign. While I'm obviously biased, and I am hoping for a CPC/harper loss, I don't think I'm miss reading things here. This had been a terrible campaign.

Would you prefer it if they yelled and screamed and gouged their eyes out in despair?  I think they have done some subtle damage control moves.  People have moved.  Messages have been sent.

Now I agree that things are not going well.  Events and circumstances have aggravated things you have to admit that.

That being said there are things they are doing that are not helping and are likely compounding the things they can't control.

While I agree that Trudeau's comment about small business taxes constitutes a "blooper" if it is misunderstood, his remarks are accurate.  Small business incorporation is a tax mitigation measure used by wealthy people, and it is one not available to most people.  I'm not passing judgement for or against tax mitigation; I'm confirming that Trudeau is correct.

Tax mitigation is simply playing by rules as written.  Those who dislike the outcomes should change the rules and pass up the opportunity to comment on the moral stature of those who follow the rules.

Crantor said:
Would you prefer it if they yelled and screamed and gouged their eyes out in despair?  I think they have done some subtle damage control moves.  People have moved.  Messages have been sent.

Now I agree that things are not going well.  Events and circumstances have aggravated things you have to admit that.

That being said there are things they are doing that are not helping and are likely compounding the things they can't control.
Based purely on strategy,  if I could suggest anything for the conservative party to do at the moment would be to pivot. Especially on the refugee issue. While playing to his base he is more or less conceding the rest of the field on the issue.

I don't believe his base would abandon him if he pivoted and came out with a plan to bring in more refugees. I do believe undecided voters or soft tories will seek other parties if he continues the stance he has taken.

Altair said:
Based purely on strategy,  if I could suggest anything for the conservative party to do at the moment would be to pivot. Especially on the refugee issue. While playing to his base he is more or less conceding the rest of the field on the issue.

I don't believe his base would abandon him if he pivoted and came out with a plan to bring in more refugees. I do believe undecided voters or soft tories will seek other parties if he continues the stance he has taken.

And that is one of the problems I alluded to. The campaign isn't going beyond the base.  It is turning off soft Tories and undecided. 

Altair said:

Looks like that pivot might be soon.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/harper-plans-to-speed-up-refugee-process-in-very-near-future-1.2556609

Brad Sallows said:
While I agree that Trudeau's comment about small business taxes constitutes a "blooper" if it is misunderstood, his remarks are accurate.  Small business incorporation is a tax mitigation measure used by wealthy people, and it is one not available to most people.  I'm not passing judgement for or against tax mitigation; I'm confirming that Trudeau is correct.

Tax mitigation is simply playing by rules as written.  Those who dislike the outcomes should change the rules and pass up the opportunity to comment on the moral stature of those who follow the rules.

I think i agree with your line of thinking on this.  The irony being that the media is reporting that Mr. Trudeau was incorporated when he was on the public speaking circuit...

E.R. Campbell said:
But it's not only Conservatives, as David Akin, again, reports: "The Liberal candidate in South-Surrey White Rock, Joy Davies, has resigned. She argued pregnant women could not harm their baby by smoking pot and that smoking pot at home with children would not harm children. The Liberals say her views "in no way" reflect the values of the party."

tumblr_mwdtoz2ybG1rk74v1o1_400.gif

The centrepiece of Liberal policy: 2015

On first glance at the animated image you used in conjunction with your post about Ms. Davies, my immediate thought was "how did she get past the screening process; were they blind?".  And then I realized the young lady was not Ms. Davies.  Obviously Ms. Davies (though she may hold fairly liberal views about marijuana) can't be that much of a stoner.  This is a probably a more representative image of the former candidate.

IMG_0008.jpg

Crantor said:
Looks like that pivot might be soon.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/harper-plans-to-speed-up-refugee-process-in-very-near-future-1.2556609
Good on him. Better late than never.

Does lead me to question why the CPC didn't just take this stance off the bat. Would have saved them a lot of grief. Not that I'm complaining.

Altair said:
Good on him. Better late than never.

Does lead me to question why the CPC didn't just take this stance off the bat. Would have saved them a lot of grief. Not that I'm complaining.

Look before you leap perhaps?

E.R. Campbell said:
According to an article in Maclean's magazine Prime Minister Harper's campaign has called on Mr Crobsy, the Wizard of Oz, to back up Jenni Byrne (see my comments on trouble in the CPC campaign, made earlier today).

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright At from the Toronto Star, is more about the decision to bring Mr Crosby on board:

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/10/harper-turned-to-friends-outside-his-trusted-circle-for-crucial-campaign-advice.html
Toronto_star_logo.jpg

Harper turned to friends outside his trusted circle for crucial campaign advice
While Harper was insisting publicly he didn’t need to shift course on the campaign, sources with knowledge of a private Toronto dinner this week and the discussions that followed, said a shift had already begun.

By: Tonda MacCharles Ottawa Bureau reporter

Published on Thu Sep 10 2015

TROIS-RIVIÈRES, QUE.—A rattled Stephen Harper convened a quiet and private dinner this week at friend’s home in Toronto in a bid to re-set a troubled Conservative campaign, the Star has learned.
Harper — who is “his own gut-check” as one insider puts it — reached out beyond his own trusted circle “inside the bubble” of the senior campaign ranks to people on the outside, a small knot of individuals who examined where Harper was, and where he was going.
Down fast, according to some polls.

It was a casual, relaxing meal, a key turning point, sources say. A chance for Harper to huddle with some pals and focus on what had to be done.

Headlines this week played up the exit of campaign manager Jenni Byrne, who spent two weeks on the campaign plane during the Duffy trial, and her return to Ottawa party headquarters.

On Thursday, more headlines: a report that Australian polling consultant Lynton Crosby was parachuting in to pull the rip-cords on a campaign in free-fall.

Dubbed the Wizard of Oz, the “arrival” of the brash, tough-talking hard-nosed strategist who has worked on Boris Johnson’s London mayoral bid and U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s campaign team, appeared to breathlessly confirm the narrative that Harper’s senior campaign team needed adult supervision or, worse, rescue.

But several senior Conservatives denied, on and off the record, that it was the case.

Campaign spokesman Kory Teneycke downplayed Crosby’s role, saying “he is not here,” that Crosby had a longstanding involvement with the party in past years, and with the 2015 campaign team since last March. In fact, he goes back to the day when Doug Finley was running the Conservatives’ campaigns. Finley died in 2013 — a loss still felt in some Conservative circles.

It appears Crosby has been involved in testing responses to campaign messaging but is not, as was reported, re-framing key messages or designing ads for a sinking ship.

And though it had been a terrible week, sources inside and outside the campaign say, the dissension in the ranks had largely settled, though irritants — like the leak about Crosby’s role — infuriated still. One senior Conservative swore, and said it was “heady ego s---” — somebody in the campaign “is obviously trying to f--- us.”

Nevertheless, by Thursday, Harper, who’d been visibly irritated at questions about his campaign team, put paid to any suggestion they’d lost his confidence.

Asked about the performance of campaign manager Jenni Byrne on Thursday Harper refused to comment, saying he won’t discuss “questions of staffing.”

“Obviously I have a good team,” he said, before shifting his answer back to campaign mode: “For me the big question of this campaign remains the same,” he said in French — the choice before voters about which party has the best economic plan to move the country forward.

That, too, was deliberate, part of one of the takeaways from the kitchen cabinet dinner, that the campaign had to get back to focusing on its core economic message, and pitch the contrast between Harper and his opponents.

Other takeaways: Harper should loosen up. Voila: there soon followed two photo ops of him doffing his suit jacket and playing ball hockey with kids after a disability savings announcement, then later shooting the ball around with his staff on an airport tarmac.

Yet no one downplays that it had been a tough week.

Especially the day that Syria dominated the media’s handful of questions to Harper, supporters heckled journalists, and the foreign minister was shown dodging down a hall after the event as cameras pursued him.
It was a “s--- how,” one agreed.

It had gotten off to a worse start.

Sources say Harper was in fact angered Monday by sloppy campaign vetting that led to two GTA candidates being sent packing as he arrived on a major swing through the vote-rich GTA region.

But Harper decided his senior staff were not going to be fired, or replaced.

The same three people running things at the top remain in place: campaign chair Guy Giorno, lawyer and Harper’s former chief of staff; campaign director Byrne, Harper’s deputy chief of staff in the PMO who inspires fear in those who cross her, and Ray Novak, Harper’s longtime trusted aide who is chief of staff. Kory Teneycke, the campaign spokesman, who some muttered had failed to quell questions about Novak during the Duffy trial, remains the public face of the campaign team when Harper isn’t addressing questions.

While officially there are no changes, it didn’t look that way from the outside.

Sources say Byrne and Giorno were at odds.

Byrne, who hadn’t travelled on previous campaign planes but usually worked the “ground game” at headquarters — responsible for candidate vetting, voter identification, target ridings and overseeing “war room” operations — got on board the leader’s plane for two weeks during the Mike Duffy trial.

Novak, who usually does travel with Harper, and is a steady hand, had become a camera magnet for the travelling media.

Identified in testimony by a former PMO staffer as having been in the loop on Nigel Wright’s $90,000 payment to Duffy (contrary to past claims by Harper), Novak could not escape the glare. He returned to party headquarters in Ottawa.

That’s when headwinds buffeting Harper’s carefully scripted 11-week marathon began to produce serious drag for the tour. On top of two weeks of negative Mike Duffy trial coverage and bad headlines about a recession, Harper was now faced with a country reeling at the images from the Syrian refugee crisis and demands he do more.

The polls showed the toll, and insiders say people were spooked, “looking for scapegoats,” as one said.

There was also, suggested another insider, a certain amount of “blowback” for Byrne whose decision to quietly dampen federal party support for Ontario Progressive Conservative Tim Hudak’s electoral campaign last year still stung.

Damaging leaks about the chaos within emerged, and an ordinarily disciplined campaign team suddenly looked complacent, disoriented and in trouble.

And while publicly, Harper was insisting he didn’t need to shift course, sources with knowledge of that Toronto dinner and the discussions that followed, said a shift had already begun. A new suite of broadcast ads, part of a major media buy, was reviewed and will roll out starting this weekend on television, messages that had been in development prior to now, but have been “tweaked.”

A taste of the tweaking this week, an ad rolled out online that ends with an elderly woman saying Harper is “not perfect” but the only leader who can be trusted with the economy.

The polls, Harper told reporters — and his campaign team — on Wednesday in an unusually frank admission should serve to focus the mind.

He warned voters, as well as his own troops, that an NDP or Liberal government are “real possibilities” — another takeaway from this week of intense self-examination at the most senior levels: that the only way to get voters to stop seeing the campaign as a referendum on 10 years of Stephen Harper is to force them to contemplate a government under the other two parties.

There is a split among veteran Conservatives on the outside looking in. One told the Star the campaign is “a shambles of stupidity, mistakes, gaffes and laughable s---. Most amateur national election performance since Kim Campbell.”

Others, including a senior Conservative cabinet minister, downplay the recent troubles as the kind of internal struggle other parties have experienced in campaigns that appear to be tanking.

Jason Lietaer, a Conservative commentator who knows the players well, is one of the few who would comment: “Whenever things get difficult, you pull together and sort of mobilize against an external opponent or you crumble. This team’s got too much experience, too much pride and too much tenacity and they won’t want to lose to two guys who shouldn’t be running the country.”

Campaign teams, in my opinion, need to be committed to winning for the party, not just for their leader.

The Globe and Mail' Jeffrey Simpson, speaking for the Laurentian Elites, both compliments Prime Minister Harper and laments his fiscal policy success in this column which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from that newspaper:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/even-if-the-tories-lose-they-win-on-key-issues/article26318678/
gam-masthead.png

Even if the Tories lose, they win on key issues

JEFFREY SIMPSON
The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Sep. 11, 2015

The Conservatives might lose the Oct. 19 election – at this stage of the campaign, it appears that they might – but the Stephen Harper party has won important battles in the shaping of public opinion.

Much of what the Conservatives have done in two big areas they identified as critical – economic policy and criminal justice – will remain, opposition party rhetoric notwithstanding. The Conservatives have placed their imprint on important aspects of Canadian public policy, and the other parties seem unwilling to erase them.

Consider tax policy. Yes, the New Democratic Party wants to increase corporate taxes on large companies, but the rate would remain lower than when the Conservatives took office and began dropping it. Moreover, the NDP proposes to reduce the small business tax rate by two points, which is red-meat Conservative policy.

Yes, the NDP and Liberals would not do income-splitting, or raise allowances for tax-free savings accounts. But they would not raise personal income taxes either (except for the Liberals, on people earning more than $200,000 a year), nor undo the myriad tax breaks the Conservatives have directed at all sorts of little subsets of the electorate. Indeed, the opposition parties have paid the Conservatives the ultimate compliment by dreaming up similar types of little tax credits for other subsets of the population.

Would either the NDP or Liberals raise the goods and services tax by even one of the two percentage points the Conservatives cut? Not on your life. The two-point GST reduction sliced about $12-billion from federal revenue. It was denounced by almost every economist in Canada and remains terrible tax policy, but apparently is politically sacrosanct, or so it would seem judging by the opposition parties’ silence.

The Conservatives are campaigning on having balanced the budget and passing a new law stuffed into an omnibus bill requiring balanced budgets except in certain circumstances. What does the NDP promise? A balanced budget from Year One of a New Democrat government. What did the Liberals promise until very recently? A balanced budget. Now, for tactical political reasons, the Liberals have switched to promising a deficit for three years.

On helping the middle class, the Liberals are promising to give even more money to families in this tax bracket than the Conservatives, albeit with certain different twists. The NDP, while promising $15-a-day child care (at a guesstimated cost of $5-billion), will also keep the very expensive Conservative child-tax benefit, again paying the Harper government another compliment. The New Democrats could have paid for a big chunk of its daycare scheme by scrapping the Conservative child benefit program that sends cheques to families, but they dared not.

The Conservatives have reduced federal spending as a share of the overall economy. Nothing suggests that the NDP or Liberals would tamper much with that share. On trade policy, the Liberals will support the trade and investment deal with Europe and the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership; the NDP is more or less on side with the European deal, and badly torn by the TPP.

Speaking of compliments, what is to be said about the other parties’ attitudes toward criminal justice, or what the Conservatives like to call their “tough-on-crime” policies? Many of these policies have been denounced by criminologists, sociologists and other experts in combatting crime. A few have encountered judicial opposition.

Some of these Conservative policies were inspired by “tough-on-crime” approaches in the United States, which are now widely under attack, even by Republicans who are coming to understand that they drive up prison costs and do nothing to reduce crime. Those failed policies include mandatory minimum sentences and solitary confinement, both Conservative Party favourites.

Do you hear root-and-branch attacks on these policies from the opposition parties? They attack these policies sotto voce, because they fear (and perhaps know) that these counterproductive policies are politically popular. The policies were sold as slogans, and the slogans remain powerful.

What we did hear from NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair, campaigning in Surrey, B.C., was a promise to hire an additional 2,500 police officers, a rather Conservative reflex. The opposition parties also promise a judicial inquiry into the disappearance of aboriginal women – a sop to elements of public opinion, but entirely the wrong vehicle for doing anything constructive.

There are more fundamental differences on the environment, aboriginal issues, the style of government and some other matters. But on the two issues that the Conservatives consider hallmarks – tax and fiscal policy, and criminal justice – their essential legacy will remain largely intact.

Mr Simpson sums up the sad, confused response of the Laurentian Elites to the 21st century: Canada changed and they don't like change.

Prime Minister Harper didn't change Canada; it was changing long before he came on the scene, the change has been constant, of course, but it has accelerated in the last 50 years, spurred on by better, faster flows of information and opinion; Stephen Harper recognized the changes that were happening to Canada, changes Canadians were making in their own socio-economic views, and following Premier Ralph Klein's advice, when he saw the way the crowd was headed he just jumped out in front and led it there.

Neil MacDonald comments on why the CPC message control tactic may be back firing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-s-message-control-backfiring-this-time-1.3223579

This is one of the main issues I believe that is not helping their campaign.  While it will appeal to the base it does nothing beyond that.  Limiting their presence in debates, not allowing anyone but the PM to speak beyond talking points and not adapting is problematic and likely won't help sway the undecided.

While I'm not sure it is responsible for outbursts by loyalists (we see them from every part of the political spectrum), it does damage the tight message control.

And while some may feel the media is unbalanced in it's coverage, one has to wonder how much of that is because of the tight message control.   

So if we believe this poll (and many are believers when it suits their narrative) it would seem that the race is tight.  But it also reveals the NDP may be losing it's lead over the other two parties. 

Maybe making too many promises without backing it with HOW to pay for said promises is not the best thing to do.  I have heard though that the NDP might be unveiling their plan next week.

Remius said:
I have heard though that the NDP might be unveiling their plan next week.

Certainly to be backed by a full court press from the unions.

E.R. Campbell said:
Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright At from the Toronto Star, is more about the decision to bring Mr Crosby on board:

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/10/harper-turned-to-friends-outside-his-trusted-circle-for-crucial-campaign-advice.html

Campaign teams, in my opinion, need to be committed to winning for the party, not just for their leader.
Yet when I say this I get called a troll. ::)

Good on harper though. I think he learned something from the PC campaign in Alberta earlier this year, that with a short campaign you don't have time to even attempt to right the ship. Here he is with a last 40 days he would rather forget and he has another 38 or so to figure out what's been going wrong.

The NDP and the Liberals also have the issue of keeping up the momentum for this long.

A most interesting election.

Brad Sallows said:
While I agree that Trudeau's comment about small business taxes constitutes a "blooper" if it is misunderstood, his remarks are accurate.  Small business incorporation is a tax mitigation measure used by wealthy people, and it is one not available to most people. 

Small business tax deduction is available to any incorporated small business.  If it could be used for wage earners, it would be irrelevant because the low tax rate only applies to profits left in the company and does not apply to more than incidental investment income.  The whole point is to allow companies to grow with a limited tax burden.  I would consider relatively few of the people using the small business deduction to be rich.

Actually I am glad the CPC did not react in a precipitous fashion when the picture was released. As you can see in the Syrian refugee thread, the father was a human smuggler and the events leading up to the capsizing are not at all what the Media narrative was made out for our consumption.

Basing important policy on forged media narratives created by criminal elements to further their criminal aims is irresponsible at best, and it speaks ill of any party or politician who would jump at that without first saying "just what is going on, here?". Of course it is also irresponsible of the media and the public to not pause and ask questions either....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back