• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this article, by the Canadian Press, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Ottawa Citizen, it is reported that the "blame game" is going on, full force, within the CPC:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/blame-game-being-played-out-inside-lumbering-conservative-campaign
crop_20562474919.jpg

Blame game being played out inside lumbering Conservative campaign

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Published on: September 9, 2015

WELLAND, Ont. — The blame game has begun in earnest among some senior Conservatives, as interpersonal rivalries bubble away below the surface and longtime stalwarts worry about the state of the campaign.

Stephen Harper himself finds himself an even more solitary figure this week, with his right-hand man and friend Ray Novak dispatched to work in the party’s war room in Ottawa rather than accompany the leader.

Campaign manager Jenni Byrne is also back in the capital this week.

Where lively personalities such as Sen. Mike Duffy and the late finance minister Jim Flaherty used to pump up events during the 2011 election, the energy of the campaign now often rests almost solely on Harper’s shoulders.

On Wednesday, for example, Foreign Affairs Minister Rob Nicholson appeared only for introductory and closing comments at an event, despite the Syrian refugee crisis continuing to dominate headlines.

Indeed, Harper should be showcasing the experience and expertise his cabinet has gained, suggested one longtime Conservative activist.

“In a very long campaign like this you can afford to take ministers along with you. He has a lot of advantages as the incumbent.”

Disadvantages, too — most notably the inertia and sluggishness that can naturally afflict a party that has spent nearly a decade in power.

Several senior Conservative insiders — speaking to The Canadian Press on the condition of anonymity for fear of party reprisals — had different opinions and gripes about what is ailing the campaign.

They all agreed it clearly “wasn’t firing on all cylinders,” as one person put it.

One source said cabinet ministers are being encouraged by party stalwarts to speak to Harper about how the campaign can be helped.

Regional organizers and ministers are not being consulted regularly nor drawn into the loop on issues as they arise in the campaign, the source said. The assessment is one of a general lack of nimbleness, which means Harper’s rivals have been able to frame parts of the electoral debate.

“It’s down to the bunker,” said another, noting Harper has made the circle of advisers around him even tighter than previous elections.

One Conservative went so far as to call it “open mutiny,” saying many Tories are simply not pitching in to help with the campaign out of disenchantment.

Campaign manager Jenni Byrne is a polarizing figure, with some defending her record as a competent strategist and organizer. Others say her hyper-partisan instincts have resulted in Harper being poorly advised on the Syrian refugee crisis in particular.

“(Byrne) speaks to the worst instincts in Harper,” said another Conservative.

While the core “base” of the Conservative party might not be in favour of bringing in more refugees, the issue is one that has Canadians talking and the premiers and mayors across the country springing to action.

Harper repeats his campaign promise to bring in another 10,000 Syrian refugees, but the government’s current 10,000 promise has brought in only 1,074 people to date. He will not comment on how the government is speeding up the process.

At a campaign Q&A event with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce in Welland, Ont., supporters heckled reporters as they asked a series of questions about the crisis spreading across Europe.

Byrne’s decision to travel on and off with Harper on the road rather than manage the campaign full time from headquarters in Ottawa is also being raised repeatedly as a bad idea — it’s hard to see the big picture from inside the election-bus bubble.

Her brittle relationship with campaign chairman Guy Giorno is another factor in the bellyaching behind the scenes. Some Conservatives are loyal to Giorno, while others say Byrne is unfairly bearing the brunt of the blame.

“If Ray (Novak) is back in the war room and Harper needs someone with him he can trust, Jenni (Byrne) would fill that role,” said an Ottawa insider.

Meanwhile, there are dark stories travelling through the ranks about poor polling numbers in places like Edmonton, where several seats could be in jeopardy.

When asked by a reporter Wednesday how he was going to give his campaign a boost, Harper repeated his main message.

“For our government, we’re going to continue a plan that created jobs, a plan based on a balanced budget and lower taxes, and I’m convinced that will be the choice of voters,” Harper said.

– Jennifer Ditchburn

Why do the internal problems of the CPC matter here? Because, in my opinion, they indicate two things:

First: The CPC's post-election leadership campaign is already underway; and

Second: This very necessary bit of tactical soul searching could be happening at the right time, for the the CPC ~ when there are five plus weeks to go before the election ... the "right time" if the CPC can resolve this dispute quickly and cleanly, but, I doubt it can be resolved either quickly or cleanly because it involves personalities and loyalty and Prime Minister Harper's deep seated personal foibles.

On balance: advantage NDP.

E.R. Campbell said:
In this article, by the Canadian Press, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Ottawa Citizen, it is reported that the "blame game" is going on, full force, within the CPC:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/blame-game-being-played-out-inside-lumbering-conservative-campaign

Why do the internal problems of the CPC matter here? Because, in my opinion, they indicate two things:

First: The CPC's post-election leadership campaign is already underway; and

Second: This very necessary bit of tactical soul searching could be happening at the right time, for the the CPC ~ when there are five plus weeks to go before the election ... the "right time" if the CPC can resolve this dispute quickly and cleanly, but, I doubt it can be resolved either quickly or cleanly because it involves personalities and loyalty and Prime Minister Harper's deep seated personal foibles.

On balance: advantage NDP.

Andrew Coyne, writing in the Ottawa Citizen suggests that the "Tory campaign would be in a better place if it had any life in it."

Mr Coyne disagrees with me, he opines that, "governments [do not] die of old age ... after 10 years or so they [do not] simply wear themselves out,", rather, he suggests, "the party’s current woes were foreordained. What once were its strengths, in a narrow partisan sense — fierce loyalty, swaggering self-confidence, calculation and ruthlessness in equal measure — have in present circumstances become liabilities."

He offers a suggestion, one which you will not be surprised to learn I support
: "Activist government does not have to mean big government. The Conservatives could, if they chose, seek a new mandate to liberalize Canada’s cosseted, over-regulated markets, notably in agriculture, transportation, telecommunications and finance. They could campaign on a radical plan to reform and simplify the tax code, eliminating preferences and cutting rates for all. They could ask the public’s backing to eliminate, once and for all, corporate subsidies, and other forms of cronyism and rent-seeking."

But he suspects, and I agree, again, that it will not happen ... not unless there is a bit of a coup in the CPC's ca,paign HQ, a coup against Prime Minister Harper.

Too soon, I think, but many here will agree with Margaret Wente, writing in the Globe and Mail that, "Stephen Harper is toast," because, in her words, what knocked him off "was one of those unknown unknowns, a random twist of fate that no one could have foreseen. A dead toddler washed up on a beach, and someone took a picture," what I refer to (over and over and over again) as:

kcnk36lkjhlyznqnisw8.jpg

Maybe she's right, maybe this "event" wil persist in the front of the public's mind for weeks and weeks and maybe Prim e Minister Harper will not (cannot?) find an acceptable way to square the circle of helping refugees and prevents IS** terrorists from entering Canada as refugees ... or, maybe, the attention of the 21st century voter is easily manipulated and its span is short.

M Trudeau, when not reading from a script written by Gerald Butts and Kathleen Wynne, commits another "blooper" in his TV interview on CBC. There is a case to be made, a very bad case in my considered opinion, for raising corporate taxes, if nothing else it will appeal to the terminally f'ing stupid in Canada, but they vote Liberal/NDP anyway, but smearing "a large percentage" of small business owners as tax cheats is just plain stupid. The young man is nothing more than an ill-educated, unprepared sock puppet for Kathleen Wynne.

In my opinion, and according to this article in the Toronto Sun, Prime Minister Harper is doing the right (tactical) thing for his campaign: focusing on the economic differences between his CPC and the LPC and NDP. He needs to change the channel away from Syrian refugees (a weak spot for him) and back to his strength: low taxes. He is also doing things right by campaigning against both Thomas Mulcair's NDP and Justin Trudeau's Liberals. His immediate aim, in this phase of the operation (not the last phase, by the way), is to not fall any father behind. He wants to be leader of a minority government. (Of course his strategic aim is to lead another majority, but, for now, the tactical aim is to be a legitimate contender for a minority.)

E.R. Campbell said:
M Trudeau, when not reading from a script written by Gerald Butts and Kathleen Wynne, commits another "blooper" in his TV interview on CBC. There is a case to be made, a very bad case in my considered opinion, for raising corporate taxes, if nothing else it will appeal to the terminally f'ing stupid in Canada, but they vote Liberal/NDP anyway, but smearing "a large percentage" of small business owners as tax cheats is just plain stupid. The young man is nothing more than an ill-educated, unprepared sock puppet for Kathleen Wynne.

Maybe his campaign tacticians understand the problem ... they have sent this letter to Rudyard Griffiths, Chair of the Munk Debates:

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/politics/trudeau-threatens-to-pull-out-of-foreign-policy-leaders-debate/

Rudyard Griffiths
Chair of the Munk Debates

Dear Mr. Griffiths:

Thank you for the invitation to participate in the Munk Debate on Canada’s Foreign Policy. Given the current, devastating Syrian refugee crisis, a debate with all Party Leaders on foreign policy could not be more timely.

We have enjoyed the productive conversations our team has had with yours. In response to your proposed format, we are largely comfortable with it, but we have two real concerns with the debate.

The first has to do with our commitment to an equal number of English and French debates over the course of this campaign. We believe in keeping our commitments both regarding debates, and our three point plan for growing the economy. We agreed in principle, under the presumption that this was a bilingual debate; however, this is clearly not a bilingual debate.

The second is that it has come to our attention that the Munk Debate will be charging admission to an exclusive list of Canadians who want to attend. We cannot accept that. The days of political leaders auditioning in front of the country’s wealthiest elite are behind us. Debates should be open to all Canadians, regardless of where they live or with whom they associate.

These are very serious concerns. Our decision to participate in this debate will be contingent on your ability to meet these concerns in a material way.

Respectfully yours,

Dan Gagnier
National Campaign Co-Chair

Katie Telford
National Campaign Co-Chair

The Liberals appear to be running scared. Maybe they know that M Trudeau cannot debate foreign policy with grown men when he and the moderator are not working off the same script. He's just a nice, pretty boy ... and that is all he will ever be, I'm afraid. I used to think that he would grow and mature on the campaign trail and in parliament, but not any more. He is, as I said above, just a pretty-boy sock puppet. It is time, past time, after this election, for a new, real leader for the Liberal Party of Canada, before it's too late.

Edited to add: The second "objection" (paying for tickets) is a real beauty, considering it comes from the representatives of a guy who used to charge charities $20,000 for a speech.  ::)

The veterans against Conservatives (they seem to have several groups and names, including ABC) came out in support of Paul Dewar in Ottawa Centre:

COiaTqwVEAAlQUA.jpg

I have much more time for veterans who are FOR a party than those who are just against one.

(Paul Dewar is my MP. I will be very, very surprised if he is not reelected. He is a very good constituency MP and a nice fellow. We don't agree on policy, and we have exchanged views in a couple of uOttawa sponsored fora,
      but I like and respect him, personally. I plan to vote for a good, solid CPC candidate but I will not be unhappy when Paul Dewar is reelected.)

Is it just me or has this thread become E.R. Campbell's personal blog?

He even quoted himself today...

;D

Lumber said:

;D

If E.R. decided to run, I'd vote for him  :salute:

Many of you would probably disagree, but in this election, I really don't feel like voting for anyone. Each party has aspects that I support, while simultaneously having aspects that I not only disagree with, but vehemently oppose:

I miss the point about the Syrian refugee crisis hurting Harper.  Is it likely that a potential Conservative voter would change his/her opinion to speed up immigration from an idealogical nut-house like Syria.  Has anyone seen poll results indicating that a large number of Canadians care?  Any Syrian is free to apply to immigrate to Canada on their own or as sponsored immigrants.  All people that want more Syrian immigration have to do is pay for it. 

CTV is now showing the Tories up 4 points to 29 in a statistical tie with the Liberals and NDP, but the headline is "No movement on overnight polling". No bias what so ever

Lumber said:

;D

Mr. Campbell has a nasty tendency of just reposting those things that are found in the public domain.  Aggregating them in other words. 
And in doing so he performs a great service to members of this site.

He attributes his sources and posts all sides of the debate.  He allows himself the liberty of passing comment on the words of others.  And you enter into debate with him at your peril.

And, like Royal Drew, if he ran I would vote for him.  I particularly like the sound of "Senator E.R. Campbell".

There are two other individuals on this site that I would single out for approbation, Tony Midori - aka milnews.ca, and the owner of the site, Mike Babbitt.

If we could all emulate these gentlemen the tenor of debates round about here would be greatly improved. 

PuckChaser said:
CTV is now showing the Tories up 4 points to 29 in a statistical tie with the Liberals and NDP, but the headline is "No movement on overnight polling". No bias what so ever

Isn't it about time for another Forum/Red Star poll showing the Conservatives at 23 % so we can have more headlines on how they are getting trounced.  They are getting trounced every week but their average hasn't seemed to have gone down significantly based on other polls.

Kirkhill said:
There are two other individuals on this site that I would single out for approbation, Tony Midori Prudori - aka milnews.ca....
1)  FTFY, given my non-association with Japanese liqueurs  ;D
2)  Thanks for the kind mention, but I'm not even in the same neighbourhood of the same ballpark as ERC for sharing commentary ....
were-not-worthy.gif

Lumber said:
Many of you would probably disagree, but in this election, I really don't feel like voting for anyone. Each party has aspects that I support, while simultaneously having aspects that I not only disagree with, but vehemently oppose:

You're close to my position, Lumber. None of the leaders impresses me, but one, M Trudeau, is, in my personal opinion, "Just Not Ready" ... at all, for anything. Prime Minister Harper and M Mulcair have their own strengths and weaknesses; I rather wish there was a biography of M Mulcair that is as good (fair, balanced, thoughtful, reasoned) as John Ibbitson's Stephen Harper.

For those who think they like my views: caveat lector. I am not "included" in any party's platform. I support the CPC because it is cloer to me than the other two. My second choice, if they were a real political party, might be a principled Libertarian Party. I self describe as a classical, 19th century liberal, influenced, mostly, by John Locke and John Stuart Mill, and a utilitarian, influenced by the same Mill and Jeremy Bentham. I am, therefore, a party of one, and I don't care, at all, if anyone agrees with me.

milnews.ca said:
1)  FTFY, given my non-association with Japanese liqueurs  ;D
2)  Thanks for the kind mention, but I'm not even in the same neighbourhood of the same ballpark as ERC for sharing commentary ....
were-not-worthy.gif

And details again....  ::)

170px-Midori.jpg

I don't see any difference.

Rocky Mountains said:
I miss the point about the Syrian refugee crisis hurting Harper.  Is it likely that a potential Conservative voter would change his/her opinion to speed up immigration from an idealogical nut-house like Syria.  Has anyone seen poll results indicating that a large number of Canadians care?  Any Syrian is free to apply to immigrate to Canada on their own or as sponsored immigrants.  All people that want more Syrian immigration have to do is pay for it.

I doubt the crisis has hurt him amongst reasonably committed conservatives, but I think the media fuss ~ some of which highlighted Prime Minister Harper's perceived "hard heart" ~ has influenced, for now, some (many?) undecided respondents.

:highjack:

Kirkhill said:
And details again....  ::)

170px-Midori.jpg

I don't see any difference.

When you say Midori I, automatically, think ...

Midori.jpg

... the years have not been as kind to Midori Goto as they have to some other Asian musicians, but she is, still, a wonderful fiddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back