• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's New, Liberal, Foreign Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimsum said:
I'd say it's more like the Australia-NZ relationship; with no fighter aircraft of their own, Australia (in effect) protects NZ's airspace.
That is an interesting comparison - any idea how much "arm twisting" there is in that relationship with one country about 5 times bigger than the other (as opposed to our approximate 10:1 difference with our big American neighbour)?

It is not a good comparison.

First of all, there is no agreement between the two nations for Australia to defend the air space of New Zealand.

Second, New Zealand is alone, in the middle of nowhere (and not at the centre of the action - they are not really "middle-earth") with minimum 1000 km of water from its nearest neighbour - which happens to be Australia. It does not stand astride any air routes (save when you are actually going there) and in particular, does not stand astride any area that would be considered an air vector of advance for anyone trying to attack Australia (no one is coming over Antartica).

New Zealand is not a threat to Australia, and vice versa. With little in terms of natural resources (unless you are into sheep farming) that would attract invaders attention, thousands and thousands of Km of water protecting it, an Army with tactical transport and naval surveillance assets in sufficient number, New Zealand has enough to discourage any one who would be stupid enough to try something. As a result, Australia doesn't bother, nor does Australia keep any air assets - air or ground surveillance (radars - early warning systems, etc.) or fighters in New Zealand.

Canada, on the other hand stands astride all the major air routes to the US, and definitely astride the air vectoring corridors for any attack by likely enemies such as Russia or China.

Any absence of air defence in Canada, relying on the US umbrella would by necessity mean that the US would - without asking permission or negotiating any thing, trust me on that - move in where they see it required for their own protection to install radars, fighter bases and missiles sites. None of these would take into consideration what happens to the Canadian population if and when ...
At that point, we cease to be a sovereign country, and it would not surprise me in such circumstances to hear voices in the US that would raise a higher ruckus than the old battle cry of "Fifty-Four Forty or Fight".

Our independence as a country requires that we acknowledge the security needs of our neighbour to the South and do what is required to either address them or to participate to the extent necessary to ensure that our interests are heard and accommodated to the maximum extent possible. There is no such inter-relationship required between Australia and New Zealand as what happens to N.Z. does not affect the defence posture of Australia.

As for our relationship with the US in defence matter, its basis what very simply stated in two simple reciprocal political undertakings taken shortly before WWII, which encapsulate both the relationship and the mutual interests in the defence of North America:

In 1938, in a speech at Queen's University, F. D. Roosevelt simply stated: "I give to you assurance that the people of the United States will not stand idly by if domination of Canadian soil is threatened ... ", to which Mackenzie King replied a few days later at a speech in Woodbridge, ON: "our obligation as a good friendly neighbour ... is to see that ... our country is made as immune from attack or possible invasion as we can reasonably be expected to make it and that ... enemy forces should not be able to pursue their way, either by land, sea or  air to the United States, across Canadian territory".

IMHO, doing anything less for either country would be to abdicate its responsibilities to its own citizenship as these undertakings, in both cases, are in the superior interest of each nation.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
...In 1938, in a speech at Queen's University, F. D. Roosevelt simply stated: "I give to you assurance that the people of the United States will not stand idly by if domination of Canadian soil is threatened ... ", to which Mackenzie King replied a few days later at a speech in Woodbridge, ON: "our obligation as a good friendly neighbour ... is to see that ... our country is made as immune from attack or possible invasion as we can reasonably be expected to make it and that ... enemy forces should not be able to pursue their way, either by land, sea or  air to the United States, across Canadian territory".

IMHO, doing anything less for either country would be to abdicate its responsibilities to its own citizenship as these undertakings, in both cases, are in the superior interest of each nation.

...and recent Governments have all reviewed the "GoC - Lessons Learned" files, including this discourse between respective Heads of Government, and fully form policy and governance detail keeping these "agreements" in mind...  ;)

Cheers
G2G

Actually, the statement of policy was formally turned into an Agreement, the Ogdensburg Agreement, which is still in full force and effect today.

Relevant for this thread: Let's see if Trudeau's visit actually yields progress on cross-border issues such as information sharing and trade (e.g. Lumber etc.)

Canadian Press

Trudeau, Obama share warm moments during PM's official visit to U.S.

Alexander Panetta, The Canadian Press
The Canadian Press
March 10, 2016

WASHINGTON - A warm moment in Canada-U.S. relations unfolded on the White House lawn Thursday, one marked by small talk, big fanfare and a plan to see President Barack Obama address Canada's Parliament before he leaves office.

The day began with a elaborate bit of bilateral cinematography: a military brass band, a cannon salute and hundreds of flag-waving onlookers greeting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in town for the first state dinner involving a Canadian in 19 years.

The leaders greeted the crowd along the rope line while their wives chatted nearby. A relaxed, wisecracking Obama make some jokes about American hockey dominance while noting how long it had been since a similar Canada-U.S. event.

(...SNIPPED)

I'm kind of looking forward to the first State dinner between the Young Dauphin and President Trump... >:D

I also predict rough handling at the hands of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.

Thucydides said:
I'm kind of looking forward to the first State dinner between the Young Dauphin and President Trump... >:D

I also predict rough handling at the hands of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping.

Trump has zero chance at the presidency even if he becomes the candidate...the GOP is as likely to work against him as they are for him. Time to "let 'er go"

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Trump has zero chance at the presidency even if he becomes the candidate...the GOP is as likely to work against him as they are for him. Time to "let 'er go"

6a00d8345282f769e2010535c59fc3970c-pi

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Trump has zero chance at the presidency ....
I just love  absolutes, especially when dealing with things like humans... or politics.    :pop:

Bird_Gunner45 said:

Yup. Just like there is no way in hell that Ontario or Alberta would ever elect a NDP government.

Never, ever bet on what voters will do.

George Wallace said:
From the Chronical Herald

Try get your picture bigger next time George. I forgot how much fun it is to move my mouse all over the screen to see a picture a tenth at a time. :P

recceguy said:
Try get your picture bigger next time George. I forgot how much fun it is to move my mouse all over the screen to see a picture a tenth at a time. :P

Yeah.....Been trying to figure a way to shrink it without copying it to my computer...... [:-[

[EDIT:  Happy Dance.  Found a smaller version.  [:D  ]

Bruce%2003%2011%202016%20RGB.jpg

Code:
[IMG]http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/bm_cartoon/Bruce%2003%2011%202016%20RGB.jpg[/IMG]

Found something while rereading an old issue of the Canadian Military Journal (Vol 15 No 4 Autumn 2015) in an article entitled "Prescriptions for Defense".

The article starts with a historical background outlining some of the recommendations and prescriptions for Canadian defence and international security policy offered in the preparation of the 1994 "White Paper", especially from a group called "the Canada 21 Council".

Some of what they propose seems to have become policy almost by default, as defense budgets eroded steadily due to inflation and lack of recapitalization, and some of the policy prescriptions seem to have been mirrored in the election rhetoric of the LPC, in particular the claimed lack of desire to have offensive strike capabilities as the reason to reject the F-35.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no4/page59-eng.asp

in the new strategic context there was “no obvious need to maintain the wide range of air, ground, and anti-submarine conventional forces needed to repel a military attack” and that in any event, the Canadian defence budget “today cannot not meet the rapidly increasing costs of a modern, high-technology military. Unless policy is changed quite radically, the result will be that Canada will have simply a miniature model of a traditional ‘general purpose’ military force—one with just a little of everything, but not enough of anything to be effective in any conceivable situation.”

To the Canada 21 Council, the “new global circumstances” and the “reality of financial stringency” demanded a restructured military establishment “that would be capable of assuring our territorial sovereignty, assisting in the protection of North America, and participating in common security operations to a greater extent than is possible now.” The protection of territorial sovereignty, a task falling primarily upon the air force and the navy, required “an ability to know what is going on within our borders, in our airspace, and in our contiguous oceans.” By contrast, participating in common security operations, “usually under the aegis of the United Nations, implies having reasonable numbers of combat-ready, well-trained troops, with fully adequate equipment, able to respond to requests in well-defined circumstances.” The Council advocated the “adoption of a Canadian policy that would specify the level of military operations above which Canada would decline to participate,” adding that it did “not believe that Canada either wishes to or could afford to maintain armed forces that would be capable of undertaking a peace enforcement role against modern, heavily-armoured military forces.” Moreover, “if we wish to expand and improve the armed forces’ ability to support common security missions, while also protecting territorial sovereignty, operating the search and rescue system, maintaining stand-by forces for aid to the civil power, and being prepared to act in national disasters, we must find the necessary resources by reducing or eliminating some current roles. This, in turn, implies the reduction or elimination of some of the armed forces’ traditional military capabilities.”

Now the motivations are a bit different (especially the desire by Gerald Butts etc. to turn funding towards domestic clients and pro Liberal riding's), but the end results will be the same, highly constrained capabilities and a lack of ability or desire to participate in larger coalition efforts. Look for more "Virtue Signalling" behaviours, including expanded "Blue Beret" missions to promote the peacekeeping mythology.

Sadly, if anything, traditional peacekeeping missions are even less likely now, and the proliferation of inexpensive cast off Soviet era tanks ranging from T-55 to T-72s in large numbers around the world (along with Chinese knock offs) mans that we are more likely to encounter modern, heavily-armoured military forces, rather than less.

A little too early to call this a "thaw" ?

CBC

Trudeau government signals thaw in relations with Russia
Policy of refusing to engage 'only punishing ourselves,' Stéphane Dion tells university audience

By Evan Dyer, CBC News Posted: Mar 29, 2016 5:29 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 30, 2016 6:02 PM ET

Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion outlined the Liberal government's new approach to foreign policy in a speech in Ottawa Tuesday in which he denounced the Harper government's decision to disengage with Russia over Ukraine.

Canada's foreign minister seemed to signal a shift in relations with Russia Tuesday in a speech at the University of Ottawa.

Stéphane Dion was discussing his philosophy of "responsible conviction," which he says will guide his choices at the helm of Global Affairs Canada.

He says Canada will follow its principles, but do so in a pragmatic manner, on files ranging from the war against ISIS to climate change.

(...SNIPPED)

The threat of nuclear terrorism revisited:

Canadian Press

PM: Canada will offer $42M to help protect nuclear material from terrorists
[The Canadian Press]
Alexander Panetta,
April 1, 2016

WASHINGTON - World leaders watched a video of a hypothetical nuclear terrorist plot Friday as they closed out a two-day summit dedicated to ensuring such a calamity never comes to pass.

More than 50 countries made commitments to the nuclear-safety cause — including Canada, which promised $42 million for global efforts to protect fissile materials.

The summit was the last of four organized during the presidency of Barack Obama. He'd made the issue a priority amid signs that al-Qaida and other terrorist groups were actively seeking nuclear weapons.

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
The threat of nuclear terrorism revisited:

Canadian Press

I did not find this offensive when I first read the title.  I now find it offensive that we are spending all that money, not on upgrading our own security, but in sending it to other nations, some of which are corrupt and likely to funnel it off elsewhere.  I seriously am at a loss as to trying to figure out when this Liberal Government and all its' spending will stop? 

It will stop when the public become tired of it and take the trash to the curb.  Just like they did in October past.  Will it really be better afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back