• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Vern - let me try...

With close to 15,000 females (all of which are entitled to the BTU) the cost per year would be $2.5M - that's per year and assuming NO ONE's entitlement doubled because of deployment. That's all LPO.  As Vern stated, the ACTUAL reason for the BTU is not so different from why one would go out and find a pair of boots that worked with whatever foot complication they have - as long as the checks and balances were in place - criteria as it were.

The way you're comparing the BTU to Vern's crusade is no wonder there is no comparison - you are LITERALLY comparing LPO to NMSO / RMSO.  Apples compared to apples leave you with - you guessed it - BTU CAN be the same as boots!!!

Did I pass Vern??

ArmyVern said:
.. that so far ... NO ONE Canadian Manufacturer can come up with a boot either!!

- The Mk IIs that I was issued in the early 70s were about the most comfortable boots I was ever issued.  They seemed to break in immediately, used the old standard sizing system (none of the Mondo-Point B.S) and I heard very few complaints about them, when we complained about everything else (except our weapons). 

- They were made by Greb, and we thought them to be a 'militarized' Greb Kodiak (minus the insulation).  Well, our boot companies could do a good job back then.  Have all of their experts died or retired?

The soles kept falling off of the early ones, though. I took a brand new pair on a weekend Militia ex, and the heel was starting to peel off by the end of the Friday night. Throughout a series of section attacks on Saturday, the peeling continued towards the toe. By the end of the last attack, I was down to about two inches still attached with a spare lace wrapped around the instep to hold it on. I had several other pairs over time exhibit lesser levels of boot-sole separation, as did others.

Weren't those also the ones with the speed lace system that didn't work and kept tearing out of the holes?

Yup. That too. I still carry a severe distrust of speedlacing today - mentally scarred for life by my Mk IIs during my formative years.

Loachman said:
Yup. That too. I still carry a severe distrust of speedlacing today - mentally scarred for life by my Mk IIs during my formative years.

- The fit was superb (for me!).  The speed lacing ringlet system was fragile.  The metal loops holding the ringlets in reacted poorly to field conditions and opened up - releasing the ringlets.  "For want of a nail the shoe was lost", etc.

BinRat55 said:
Vern - let me try...

With close to 15,000 females (all of which are entitled to the BTU) the cost per year would be $2.5M - that's per year ...
So, I suppose you can tell us the annual cost of boots as well and I suppose you know how the numbers as a percentage of each manufacturing industry's annual market?

MCG said:
So, I suppose you can tell us the annual cost of boots as well and I suppose you know how the numbers as a percentage of each manufacturing industry's annual market?

Now you're just being a smart ass. But, if you wanna go there, the first question should be fairly easy - proceed to the PWGSC site and look up the National Master Standing Offer and check the value of it.  I don't have access to this info at home, so if you'd be so kind as to wait for Monday, i'll get you an exact figure.  As for the annual marketing percentage, do you mean within DND or their percentage regarding each other?  The latter would be quite difficult as there is only one winner to NMSO's...

I wasn't being pompous there, really - I just Googled the lady count in the CF, came up with 15000 and multiplied that number by their entitlement - If you happen to be a member of the fairer sex, you are entitled to $160.00 before tax or 4 brassieres, whichever comes first.  This entitlement is annual (every 12 months - not once in Feb and again in Apr) and the entitlement doubles once you are nominated in MITE for a deployment.  Easy math - even for a supply tech.

MCG said:

I think that the point is that the circumstances are the same. The reasonings for the BTU being instituted are really no different than the problems being experienced for footwear. (Regardless, I know of one girl who gets re-imbursed well over the 160.00 dollar limit because she requires custom made bras --- well over).

The difference in dollar values is the only difference.

We already are aware that the CF attempted to have a footwear allowance brought in, but that this was rejected by PWGSC et al due to the impact upon the "Big 4" (<--- that would be the Big 4 Canadian footwear manufacturers ... who complained loudly when the attempt was made because federal contracts make up a huge part of their business [I'd complain too were I those companies when my livelihood is threatened]).

I will re-iterate once again: I HAVE NEVER COMPARED the BTU allowance to the NATIONAL CONTRACTING of footwear. I have stated that the BTU should be used as a presedence FOR PWGSC/GOVERNMENT approval of a footwear allowance because ... exactly like boobs --- each set of feet is also different.

No one Canadian manufacturer could supply different styles/types/spec of bra that was suitable for wear by all females serving in the CF ergo we got the BTU. YES --- I realize the "scale" of economy is different, yet that does not change the fact that it is because no one style could be found suitable to all and that differing chest sizes/types resulted in an annual allowance.

Fact: No one Canadian Boot manufacturer has been able to do this either for footwear.

Fact: CF females now buy their bras downtown with that allowance. Some buy Canadian made bras and others do not. Regardless of where that bra was made though, serving CF females are purchasing those bras in Canadian retail outlets and are therefore STILL SUPPORTING the Canadian economy.

Fact: Were a boot allowance actually approved, serving CF members would be buying those boots themselves too. Some would be "made in Canada" and some would not be, exactly as with the bras. Regardless of what boot was purchased though, serving CF members would be, for the vast majority of the part [just like the bras] purchasing those boots in Canadian retail outlets and would therefore be STILL SUPPORTING the Canadian economy. <--- Caveat: I DO realize that this would not necessarily be from the very vocal "Big 4" and thus their concern that those guaranteed shareholder profits based on government contracts that they currently enjoy would be in jeopardy (simply put, it sure does NOT make business sense at all for those "Big 4" NOT to complain when talk is heard of CF footwear allowances but that doesn't change the opinion that the footwear allowance is one of the best options out there which would enable our troops to have the type/style/best boot for THEIR foot such as we women currently enjoy with our boobs. And, I'd argue, that our feet are a critical soldiering tool which are much more important to look after properly than our boobs).

It's economy of scale --- and it is ALL POLITICS.

So, do we institute a system by which the soldier has a "choice" of stocked/contracted boots from a couple of the "Big 4"? But, won't doing that piss off the others of the "Big 4" who are left out?? Or do PWGSC et al continue to cater to keeping business' in business by giving Canadian soldiers a "choice" of contracted/stocked footwear from ANY of the "Big 4" just to keep them all happy? If we are going to do this ... then why not save ourselves a fortune on stocking/contracting fees by asking that PWGSC approve a "footwear allowance whereby members purchase the boots of their choosing from any of the "Big 4" Canadian manufacturer's. Troops then bring in their receipts to clothing stores who will stamp and initiate the claim for re-imbursement of the costs to the member --- provided that the purchase is made from one of the "approved" "Big 4" suppliers (this can also be done for bras by the way, no difference there. But, we haven't which tells me a lot about big business' protection by federal purchasing regulations which doesn't extend to small Canadian business). <--- note also that the insitution of something along these lines might actually serve as an impetus for those Canadian Boot manufactuers to design footwear that IS compatible with our troops' feet and getting the job done and therefore will be purchased, perhaps even sought out (!!) by our troops and those from other nations. Other non-Canadian footwear manufactuers certainly seem capable of doing so. Perhaps it is exactly the fact, that under the current guidelines and federal requirements for purchasing, that those footwear manufactuers do not need to expend shareholder monies in any great amount to come up with suitable and acceptable products which meet the needs of soldiers because their business is currently "guaranteed for them" under current rules. It would just make bad business sense once again ... and they are all about business. And, they would see some of their business heading off to Mark's Workwearhouse instead etc ... (but heck, I'm pretty sure it's Canadians working and benfitting from troops buying boots in that little store too and I really don't see the validity in the arguement that allowing troops to do this will "negatively impact" the Canadian economy --- rather it would negatively impact the Big 4 and their "guaranteed" sales).

What about all the mom & pop Canadian boot makers (many of whom DO make boots which some of our soldiers find to be acceptable tools) who are overlooked in the above scenario? Do they not have just as much right to survive (and have their business "protected" by federal contracting guidelines) or is that "guaranteed Canadian suppliers" only applicable to big and vocal companies? I already listed a whole bunch of some mom & pop Canadian bra manufactuer's that this rule was NOT applied for. Again, it's a matter of scale.

In short, I agree 110% agree with Ecco that the costs for BTU are not comparable to boots, but I have never tried to compare the costs. Again, that doesn't change the fact that the only difference in the situations is SCALE of economy and that the need exists. I have tried to compare the "critical needs based requirement for non-standard pattern for boots/bras [it IS the same]". We need a footwear allowance for the exact same "standard pattern/make manufacturer does not work for body parts which differ so vastly" reasons that a BTU allowance was approved by PWGSC and therfore instituted by the CF; and, scale of economy does not make that disappear or become invalid.

It just makes it a tougher fight and a much more political hot-potato ... and a purely political issue.

I'm not going to sit here and be told that "I am misleading" or that I am being "dishonest". I have NEVER said that LPO was the same as contracting -- quite the opposite actually. I have NEVER said that contracting boots was the same as buying bras. I NEVER brought up cost ... until someone ELSE brought up costs whereby I pointed out that I was not comparing contracting/LPOing, but was comparing PHYSICAL factors for the requirement FOR a Boot Allowance. I have said that the physical reasons/requirements that a boot allowance was required matched those of bras. That is still the case, despite protestations otherwise. And the only difference is scale. My boots could be worth a million bucks a pair and my bra a mere one doller -- it does NOT change the fact that feet differ from everyone else's and that I need boots that work FOR me just like I need a bra that works FOR me, not a bra or a boot that I am forced into which does NOT work for me, or is NOT suitable to the task, and in fact is hurting some soldiers and rendering them incapable of performing their primary SOLDIERING duties (there's enough threads from those people here already).

What's good and best for my boobs --- is still what's good and best for my feet. And the only reason we have one allowance and not the other is "politcial and economical scale". Sometimes, political/economical & business protection is NOT in the best interest of the troops.

BinRat55 said:
Now you're just being a smart ass.
No I'm not, because cost & size of market are exactly what make these issues different at the level of TB, PWGSC and in the eyes of the Canadian manufactures.  Should one industry see the military market as so small that it is not worth the effort while another industry sees the military market as essential to its survival, then government will impose very different constraints on how the military is allowed to approach each industry.

Vern is right.  At the level of the end user these two issues are exactly the same: getting an item of clothing that meets individual needs.  At the political level, they are polar opposites.  So, unless you, BinRat55, want to answer my previous question then your analysis, of absolute dollars toward BTU in a vacuum (ie: no comparison to the non-military market), does not add value toward understanding the issue.

If you want a boot allowance, then you must cause a fundamental change in mindset at PWGSC or TB (which likely nobody in uniform can). So, how does one do that?

MCG said:
If you want a boot allowance, then you must cause a fundamental change in mindset at PWGSC or TB (which likely nobody in uniform can). So, how does one do that?

If DND doesn't have the power or desire to lobby for this, then it's ultimately up to the individual members of the CF who would like to institute such a program to contact their respective MP, address their concern about how a system of 1 type of boot doesn't work for their comfort and operational effectiveness, and how they'd like a boot allowance setup, similar to the BTU allowance, so that they can find the boot which works best for them.

You can find your MP here:  http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC

No I'm not

Fair enough - but I do believe you misunderstood the intention of that statement (the 2.5M BTU post).  Ecco had stated earlier that PWGSC would never allow millions of dollars to be purchased LPO - which is exactly what is being done with the BTU - to the tune of about 2.5 Mil.  That was it - no other reason.  I am not, and absolutely cannot justify contractual obligations regarding the "political agendas" of DND.  These are boots.  While I very much agree that the cost does not compare to the BTU project, the principal of what Vern is suggestion is identical.  The size of the market, industrial forsight, manufacturing concerns and tie-ups are all matters of contractual supply, not scales of issue.  PWGSC would not factor in and you would think that TB would be ecstatic that there is one less headache on their horizons.  As far as the manufacturers are concerned, they will always operate under the laws of supply and demand, and I don't think that the convergence of 40,000 CF pers descending upon them will create a huge boot deficit in Canada.

Vern is right.

She usually is.  If more people actually read what she wrote, there would be less arguing in here.

Now this one I am completely unsure about.  Vern, can you explain this one to me?  What would PWGSC have to do with a boot allowance?

BinRat55 said:
Now this one I am completely unsure about.  Vern, can you explain this one to me?  What would PWGSC have to do with a boot allowance?

One: I am NO God and have actually been known to be wrong frequently.

CF kit is purchased via National Contract through PWGSC in accordance with Federal Law. If the CF wants to implement a boot allowance (thus circumventing federal contracting policy), then PWGSC is going to have to be involved in that process --- but even at that, the involvement goes much deeper ... Federal Policy will be affected and that requires action & blessing by the Government.

As Matt pointed out, it is not a simple matter of DND, the CF or even PWGSC "changing" things -- it will require official political consent. Ergo his recomendation to speak with local MPs.

BinRat55 said:
As far as the manufacturers are concerned, they will always operate under the laws of supply and demand, and I don't think that the convergence of 40,000 CF pers descending upon them will create a huge boot deficit in Canada.
This has nothing to do with a supply stock out at retailers & everything to do with Canadian manufactures loosing the income (no more DND contracts) and the impact on jobs & local economies. TB ecstatics?  No.  They will be worried about regional industrial benefits and the fallout described.  TB & MPs will be more sympathetic toward calls to protect an industry, jobs & local economies than they will be sympathetic toward soldiers' requests to be given the money to buy their own boots (regardless of reason).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it is unlikely.  It is also most certainly outside the scope of the Army to achieve, and so I would personally want the Army to be putting its effort into achieving the best alternative to a boot allowance (although, I'd be open to suggestions as to what this might be).

Vern,
I know you're a fan of the UCR.  When soldiers come in to the custom orders desk because the issue boots just will not work for them, do they fill out a UCR?  Narrative something to the effect of "Issue boot X does not work for me because some kind of problem.  This illustrates that no one boot will meet the need of all soldiers and more selection/choice is required.  This greater variety of footwear options could be provided by a boot allowance or by providing more combat boot styles within the supply system."

Or we could just go to the 'Glass Slipper' approach at the Recruiting Centres in the near future.

ArmyVern said:
One: I am NO God and have actually been known to be wrong frequently.

CF kit is purchased via National Contract through PWGSC in accordance with Federal Law. If the CF wants to implement a boot allowance (thus circumventing federal contracting policy), then PWGSC is going to have to be involved in that process --- but even at that, the involvement goes much deeper ... Federal Policy will be affected and that requires action & blessing by the Government.

As Matt pointed out, it is not a simple matter of DND, the CF or even PWGSC "changing" things -- it will require official political consent. Ergo his recomendation to speak with local MPs.

Vern, not to piss on your parade, but was or is there not a civilian clothing allowance for CF members who are required to wear civies in the course of their duties? Why could this not be extended to boots? There was a clothing allowance in 1988 for sure, as I put in for it given my civy boss at NDHQ was insisting I wear civies(in those days business attire was a jacket and tie at a min) to Initial Provisioning Conferences at contractor sites after the first day. The answer was no, so I ignored the direction and used my old but little used CF's instead as I also had a closet of new DEU's. It was sort of beyond me why I would wear civies as I was a Logistics Officer, and why wear out my good suits in lieu of the clothing that was provided for me to wear. I did not last long there.........

With the company I work for at present, simple matter, you present yourself with a signed form at Work Authority, choose the boot you want, pay the difference if it is more than the $180 allowed. We have the equivalent of a standing offer with this company. We had something similar with Marks in the mid 90s when I was MCO in Gagetown and the system ran out of combat boots when everyone started to wear combats instead of Garrison Dress. Most people we just bought black safety boots for.

a78jumper said:
Vern, not to piss on your parade, but was or is there not a civilian clothing allowance for CF members who are required to wear civies in the course of their duties? Why could this not be extended to boots? There was a clothing allowance in 1988 for sure, as I put in for it given my civy boss at NDHQ was insisting I wear civies(in those days business attire was a jacket and tie at a min) to Initial Provisioning Conferences at contractor sites after the first day. The answer was no, so I ignored the direction and used my old but little used CF's instead as I also had a closet of new DEU's. It was sort of beyond me why I would wear civies as I was a Logistics Officer, and why wear out my good suits in lieu of the clothing that was provided for me to wear. I did not last long there.........

With the company I work for at present, simple matter, you present yourself with a signed form at Work Authority, choose the boot you want, pay the difference if it is more than the $180 allowed. We have the equivalent of a standing offer with this company. We had something similar with Marks in the mid 90s when I was MCO in Gagetown and the system ran out of combat boots when everyone started to wear combats instead of Garrison Dress. Most people we just bought black safety boots for.

There is such thing as a civilian clothing allowance for members who are required to wear civilian clothing in the daily performance of their duties. It is applicable only to a very select few positions (some of which are deployed posns).

That allowance is not applicable to purchase of a civilian pattern footwear ... that is a national stocked item and therefore is not required to be purchased downtown. Unlike business suits etc. Apples/oranges. For those who do need footwear purchased downtown, the system does pay for a bonified medical requirement. WANTING to buy boots downtown is quite different from "requiring" to buy boots downtown.

Business suits etc are not CF national stock items and therefore those select few who must wear them --- receive an allowance to do so. That allowance was approved by TB/PWGSC and so it stands.

Again, if you want to move boots to the allowance -- then the scenario already laid out becomes applicable. It is a politcal/economical and SCALE (cost factor) issue ... quite simply put ... the select few posns (such as Sup LPO clerk and EME LPO clerk at CM who must wear civilian clothing when out purchasing off the local economy) receiving that bonified allowance for "civilian clothing" would be a mere drop in the bucket of what it would cost to implement this for footwear. Scale.

Gagetown still has a SO with Marks for footwear --- but that is only applicable to those medical or special sized requirements as per regulations (and if you were the MCO there in the mid-90s --- I think you gave me some extras when I worked in 7C1  >:D !!)

Believe we have met, but I handed out no extras!

This whole boot issue would go away if someone at a suitable level would recognize not everyone wants to wear the generic boot for whatever reason. Add some weany people from Ottawa in DG Buttons and Bows or whatever they call it today and you have a real mess. I had my fill dealing with those people trying to get the CF Safety boots for my instructors on the floor in Edmonton. (Some twit suggested the ankle boot would do just fine-our DOD was combats and para smock in those days)I realize that a "uniform" is precisely that, but to most a black high top boot is a black high top boot, however this drives some luddite RSMs nuts I am sure.

BTW we have the exact same problem where I work in the Oil Sands (still kicking boxes). We have a standing offer with Work Authority to provide a $180 pair of summer summer boots and a winter pair as well, a choice of dozens of types, soles, colours, features etc and people are still not happy because the model they really want is at Marks or where ever. And yes clothing is still one of our biggest hassles as we provide it all for workers in the plant and mine, and pay to have it washed as well.

a78jumper said:
Believe we have met, but I handed out no extras!

This whole boot issue would go away if someone at a suitable level would recognize not everyone wants to wear the generic boot for whatever reason. Add some weany people from Ottawa in DG Buttons and Bows or whatever they call it today and you have a real mess. I had my fill dealing with those people trying to get the CF Safety boots for my instructors on the floor in Edmonton. (Some twit suggested the ankle boot would do just fine-our DOD was combats and para smock in those days)I realize that a "uniform" is precisely that, but to most a black high top boot is a black high top boot, however this drives some luddite RSMs nuts I am sure.

BTW we have the exact same problem where I work in the Oil Sands (still kicking boxes). We have a standing offer with Work Authority to provide a $180 pair of summer summer boots and a winter pair as well, a choice of dozens of types, soles, colours, features etc and people are still not happy because the model they really want is at Marks or where ever. And yes clothing is still one of our biggest hassles as we provide it all for workers in the plant and mine, and pay to have it washed as well.

No, after I posted yesterday I realized that it was M.W. who gave me the extras -- he was the MCS not the MCO.

DND/CF has tried to bring in a boot allowance, but it was rejected at the higher level outside of our department due to the reasons already noted previously by some posters involved. I can't say it enough, this is a political/regualtory issue and the changes need to be made at that level, not ours -- the CF has tried and was rebuffed, so let's put the blame for the problem squarely where it lies ---

I have a question for the Supply techs - When are they going to be general issue? If this question has been answered please steer me in the right directions!!
Merci Beaucoup!!

Back