• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army DEU Parka

MapleLeaf4Evr

Inactive
Reaction score
So I just logged on to Logistik Unicorp because I figured it was about time to order my fur hat when I saw that an army DEU parka is being fielded.  I thought this would be great and it would eliminate how terrible it looks when army members are out and about sporting their CADPAT jacket with DEU.  As I clicked on the parka and it showed a larger image, I saw that it looks almost the same as the old "Canadian Average Green" goretex jacket and doesn't even look the same colour as the army DEU....  Not only is it the wrong colour, but it does not look professional at all.  Who could possibly think that this is a good idea?  Please tell me that the image online is just colour distorted and that this thing will actually be the same colour as the army DEU...

8415-20-007-0849.jpg

I know this might be a silly thought, common sense and all, but why not make it the same color as the Army CANEX jacket or even the DEU raincoat?  ;D

Distribution of the Parka, DEU, Army, is scheduled to begin in January 2013. Expected delivery time is between 12-16 weeks.

So if you hurry and order this jacket in January you might have it for April or May, might still be some snow  :snowman:

MapleLeaf4Evr said:
I thought this would be great and it would eliminate how terrible it looks when army members are out and about sporting their CADPAT jacket with DEU.
Amen, though I never understood the aversion to the gabardine.
As I clicked on the parka and it showed a larger image, I saw that it looks almost the same as the old "Canadian Average Green" goretex jacket and doesn't even look the same colour as the army DEU....  Not only is it the wrong colour, but it does not look professional at all.  Who could possibly think that this is a good idea?  Please tell me that the image online is just colour distorted and that this thing will actually be the same colour as the army DEU...
It could just be that the lighting for this photo was different from the other items. It's a different material, so it would react differently to the flash. I guess we'll find out in 12-16 weeks.

Eye In The Sky said:
I know this might be a silly thought, common sense and all, but why not make it the same color as the Army CANEX jacket or even the DEU raincoat?  ;D
There once was a Canex parka.  It looked like that LogistcUnicorps thing but was the same hunter green as the service dress. 

I wasn't sure if they still carried them (parka), but I still see the odd one of the shorter '3 season' CANEX jacket commonly worn in 3B, etc.  Why this new one didn't follow the color of those or the issued DEU raincoat...who knows.  If the color is accurate in the pic, they could have saved money by re-issueing everyone back the OD ICE combat jacket.  ;D

Just out of curiosity, when did they stop issuing what used to be referred to as a greatcoat ?
(that heavy, double-breasted, rifle green coat issued back in the eighties) 
It looked good and was reasonably warm.

The garbardine? We still get it issued. Someone mentioned earlier why we don't just make people wear that in the winter... its already in the system and very warm. Would go great with the new yukon hat!

Bass ackwards said:
Just out of curiosity, when did they stop issuing what used to be referred to as a greatcoat ?
(that heavy, double-breasted, rifle green coat issued back in the eighties) 
It looked good and was reasonably warm.

I for one really liked that piece of kit, much more than the gabardine issued now.

When I hear read "gabardine" I'm thinking of a single-breasted, again, rifle green coat, referred to (if memory serves) as a raincoat. It, too, was of fairly stout construction but not nearly as heavy as the greatcoat. 

Th current gabardine has a zip in liner for cold weather, and has the added bonus of not weighing 5000 pounds when wet.

Bass ackwards said:
When I hear read "gabardine" I'm thinking of a single-breasted, again, rifle green coat, referred to (if memory serves) as a raincoat. It, too, was of fairly stout construction but not nearly as heavy as the greatcoat.

Gabardine aka COAT, MEN'S, ALL WEATHER, GREEN

8405-21-905-7320.jpg

Rain Coat aka RAINCOAT, MEN'S, NYLON, LAND, GREEN

8405-21-913-6843.jpg

I wore the double breasted gaberdine during my penance in Ottawa … aside from Rememberance Day, I do not think that I ever saw anyone else wear it.  The existence of a suitable in-service item of clothing does raise a question as to why we are spending public money to introduce what is essentially a Canex parka.

The single breasted 100% nylon raincoat looks like a garbage bag.  You are better to pull the liner out of the gaberdine and wear that.

NFLD Sapper said:
Gabardine aka COAT, MEN'S, ALL WEATHER, GREEN

8405-21-905-7320.jpg

Rain Coat aka RAINCOAT, MEN'S, NYLON, LAND, GREEN

8405-21-913-6843.jpg

Nope.
The greatcoat didn't have a belt. Neither did the gabardine raincoat I recall (and I was issued both at some point -and yes, they did weigh 5000 pounds when wet  ;D).
The raincoat in your photo I recognize because my older brother had one (he was in the Navy in the '70's) but I was neither issued, nor did I ever see anyone wearing one during my (admittedly brief) service.

So the current gabardine -with it's zip-in liner- is being replaced with that ugly looking thing at the top of this thread....why ? Cost ?

MCG said:
I wore the double breasted gaberdine during my penance in Ottawa … aside from Rememberance Day, I do not think that I ever saw anyone else wear it.  The existence of a suitable in-service item of clothing does raise a question as to why we are spending public money to introduce what is essentially a Canex parka.

The single breasted 100% nylon raincoat looks like a garbage bag.  You are better to pull the liner out of the gaberdine and wear that.

I purchased a Canex parka when I was in Shilo. It looked for all the world like an old police reefer jacket (minus the side zips). It was bulky but light and very warm. It certainly looked better than the usual practice of wearing the OG parka with work dress.
I think I still have it in a box, somewhere.

It was kind of like this, but dark green.  I am having a hard time getting a good hit on Google.

Eye In The Sky said:
It was kind of like this, but dark green.  I am having a hard time getting a good hit on Google.

That looks more like it.

Bass ackwards said:
Nope.
The greatcoat didn't have a belt. Neither did the gabardine raincoat I recall (and I was issued both at some point -and yes, they did weigh 5000 pounds when wet  ;D).
The raincoat in your photo I recognize because my older brother had one (he was in the Navy in the '70's) but I was neither issued, nor did I ever see anyone wearing one during my (admittedly brief) service.

So the current gabardine -with it's zip-in liner- is being replaced with that ugly looking thing at the top of this thread....why ? Cost ?

I don't think they are getting rid of the gabardine but wearing the CADPAT jacket over DEU's looks silly and I think with this new winter coat it will stop (I hope...)

Never seen anyone wear the raincoat yet....The most I ever have worn of the gabardine was from my house to the car to the armouries....

Back