• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Status- The History of Outages & Dark Days

Vern, you mean we're not supposed to see any gfreen background screens anymore?

Oh, we had a loss of server here yesterday afternoon and last night on parts of Vancouver Island but all okay again today...

Mike Bobbitt said:
Ugh... I hate posting here now. Had another power bump and it caused a database corruption. I rebuilt the table and we're back.

Anyone know of a good, cheap UPS for server grade sysytems?

Mike:  The Server/network admin at work suggested an APC brand UPS.... he says we use much bigger ones here, but that something like the following should address your needs, though it all depends on price range. 

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1388832&CatId=233

Thanks! I just did some testing and discovered that our current UPS is 100% dead! So it may be that it would have supported the server if it still worked. :(

I also found out that for some reason DSL connection #1 never auto-reconnects on a power loss. :( Again.

UPS 100% dead -  Like car batteries, the UPS does have a life span - guess you've reached this one's

DSL connection reset? - if you mean the Modem, is it any different from the other one?

I swapped 3 different DSL modems in place, and connection #1 just never establishes without a kick from me on the router. The DSL modem syncs, but no connection is made, so it's the router. But connection 1 and 2 are configured exactly the same, so I'm not sure why the difference! Maybe tonight I'll swap them to see if it's the first connection slot, or the actual connection that's causing the problem.

yeah - could be the slot - maybe confer with the hardware mfg/distributor if necessary

Is it only me or have we returned to the comms problem?

Suddenly, this morning, the site slowed waaaaay down.

I checked and the problem involves both my computers - at this moment MILNET.CA is 'normal' under Linux, ARMY.CA is painfully slow under both Linux and MS Vista, etc.

ArmyVern said:
Edward,

I've got no slow downs on my end.

Vern

I sure have.  It appears to be a repeat of this - the network problems (in Mike's basement) we experienced before the new server hardware arrived.

I'm getting it now ...

Apparently it may be a rolling slow-down problem. Server running it's back-up??

Or too many damn googlebots running through the strings eating up the bandwidth. I just checked and there's a great many search engines logging for "hits" right now (24 of them just on the first page ...).

No, it was a real problem... one of the DSL modems was down, I fixed it. Which is good, because I'm not at home right now and if the 2nd one went down too, we'd be out of luck for a week! :(

Mike Bobbitt said:
No, it was a real problem... one of the DSL modems was down, I fixed it. Which is good, because I'm not at home right now and if the 2nd one went down too, we'd be out of luck for a week! :(

Well, had that occured, we'd have to live up to our threats of preventing any further vacations for you.  :)

Sorry folks, an 8 hour power outage knocked us out and kept us down on the 1st. We're back now and I have more on my "to do list" to resolve when I get back home.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers
Mike

Man... I was starting to get the shakes...  seems like army.ca has been down for weeks.  I need my fix.

but, as stated before;  Thanks for all your hard work, Mike!  :salute:  :army:

Maybe you should try to get an some surplus diesel-generator. With all the mil and ex mil staff here it shouldn't be to hard to find an cheap possibility. ;)

Regards,
ironduke57

It's the network, not me. I did not hit a buttom creating a meltdown of the site.  ;D I can get my fix  now.

Mike,

Thanks as always for the work you put into this.

What a horror as I finally find a computer upon my arrival, only to log on to Army.ca and not get a response...Great! They block it here... I was so mad at the military... turns out they aren't so bad after all, and they keep paying me!!

I feel like and army.ca addict, cccccaaaaaannnntt, tttaakkke iiittt aanyyy morrree, pppleeassee cccooommmee bbaacckkk. Ohhhhh tthhheee pppaaiinnn!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now your back, that feels much better ;D

Good work Mike!! As always. The fix is in.

Back