• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Status- The History of Outages & Dark Days

Sorry folks... the site was down all morning in an attempt to get the hard drive swap done. It isn't, but I discovered a slew of ways that won't work. I've got a system that seems to to the trick, but am only part way through it. I may try to finish it off tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers
Mike

Sorry folks, another attempt and another failure. I can only say that your frustration at the site being down can only be mirrored by my frustration at wasting 2-3 days on this so far with no progress.

Mr. Bobbitt, it makes me think about this...

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36305.0.html

The upgrade to a SATA might be painfull.

Thanks for the great site anyway and good luck

Thanks, I appreciate the link... the drive is being detected correctly, but (to summarize) if I clone the IDE data, it won't boot - wrong kernel image paths and no SATA drivers - but if I re-install on the new drive then I lose all the Army.ca config. So it's come down to a hybrid process of installing fresh to get the right boot image, then selectively copying over data to the new drive "until things work."

Sorry for today's outage... the good news is that the drive replacement is finally finished.

Thanks for your patience all.

Cheers
Mike

GJ on the upgrade. The problems I had with my SATA drive stemmed from its being broken and my not knowing it.

With a new 200gb drive, Army.ca should be able to go for quite some time before expanding again, methinks.

Thanks. Actually it was a 250 in the end, so we've got plenty of room to grow. Which is good, because I don't want to go through that again any time soon!

Folks,

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Today, as a result of a number of problems and errors, we have had to roll back to last night's backup. All posts, PM's, users etc that were created since roughly 0330 ET are lost.

In short, I attempted to upgrade the forums. There were some problems with the upgrade, and in trying to fix them, I turned a minor issue into a major one and had to revert to backup.

Furthermore, it appears that all of the French accents have been trashed by the restore. I have attempted to fix this with no luck so far. I may ask for some assistance here in terms of getting the accents right.

Clearly I should have been drinking moose milk instead of working today. :-/

I apologize for the inconvenience... It's been one of those days where after a fair amount of effort, I'm behind where I was in the beginning.

Merry Christmas all,

Mike Bobbitt

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Weird glitch in Firefox in this thread - the Noo goes off the forum response section......

I think that's because it's so loud. ;)

Actually it's because it's a single word and the forums are configured not to break apart words.

Seems not to be my day... I've just fixed a DNS issue that was slowly cutting everyone off from Army.ca. I'd better stop while I'm behind.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Seems not to be my day... I've just fixed a DNS issue that was slowly cutting everyone off from Army.ca. I'd better stop while I'm behind.

Mike, have a drink and start over on another day.  What you have already accomplished here is nothing short of amazing AND you keep improving it.  Thanks for the hard work and all the effort.  Cheers and Happy Christmas!

Coulda been worse.

I remember when the Forces.gc.ca forum got nuked by a hacker
then the powers that be at the Puzzle Palace grew cold feet and destroyed what was becoming .... something like what you've got Mike.

Keep up the good work... and keep your guard up

Cheers!

Don't sweat it Mike. We all appreciate everything you've done here. Have a glass of merriment and enjoy the holidays!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I was pretty worried yesterday...Thanks for making this site possible man. It has givin me hope in the recruiting system that seemed hopeless :salute:

I guess we have had another hour outage, with all us die hard Army.ca addicts panicing in the streets......almost enough time to have gone out to vote.  ;D

Raise your hands if you clicked "refresh" enough times that you lost count, be honest people.
;D

Back