• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9 mm pistol as secondary weapon

DrillDill

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I wanted to ask you if the Canadian army used a secondary hand weapon such as a 9 mm pistol. I believe the american army use one, if I'm not mistaken, at least the Marines do. So, what is the reason given for not using one in the regular army because I haven't seen no pistol training anywhere,

thank you

The CF has been using the 9mm Browning No2 Mk 1* 'High Power', manufacted by John Inglis, from 1944 onwards. This is the standard pistol used today, although other types may be found in SF or MP service.

Try the search button.

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Try the search button.

The search function is not working right now.

DrillDill, where have you been?  Are you even in the CF?  There is weapons training on almost every base.  I just did some this past week.

Myself as a section commander, I did training and live fire with the 9mm this past spring.

The only pistol I've ever been trained upon is the 9mm Sig Sauer. It is also the only weapon that I've ever been issued for any purpose other than weapons training.

Edit: Never mind, original posted specified Canadian Army, not Canadian Forces. My bad. Ignore the Navy guy in the corner.

Every Infantry Pte and up I know is current on Pistol PWT 1, 2, and 3.

We're told each member will be carrying a 9mm in addition to his pers weapon. We carried our pistols for most non traditional ranges (jungle lanes, etc.)

The only reason the Navy got the Sig was that the Senior Brass heard it had a "Decocker" and they figured they would save a bundle on condoms and VD treatment.  ;)

Pistol training does take place and is much better than back in my day. I tell people that I can shoot pistol DESPITE the army training. To be fair pistol training was neglected by just about everyone including the police back in the 80's. However the army rifle training was excellent and serves me well on the range still. The focus of small arms training now is on combat and how the small arms fits into that as a component rather than separate entity as it was back in my day.

Thanks for your answers. I had no idea there was pistol training. All I ever saw was automatic rifles in videos and I've never ever see anywhere something about pistol training. So, once your regular army, can you hit the fire range and practise whenever you want?

DrillDill said:
Thanks for your answers. I had no idea there was pistol training. All I ever saw was automatic rifles in videos and I've never ever see anywhere something about pistol training. So, once your regular army, can you hit the fire range and practise whenever you want?

Ranges need to be booked, ammo has to be ordered and everyone must do a weapons handling test and preferably some refresher training beforehand.

DrillDill said:
So, once your regular army, can you hit the fire range and practise whenever you want?

I don't think you have any military experience, and thats ok, positive queries are always welcome.

I don't know where you got your info that Regulars only get pistols. That is incorrect.

One cannot go willy-nilly and get a pistol and ammo, then trundle off to go for some shooting fun. We don't 'hit' 'fire' ranges.

Regular or Reserve, range shoots for pistols and all weapons are usually organised level at PL or COY levels, and go up the chain of command from there. Competancy must be confirmed prior to any live fire activity. This is done through T'sOET, which are drills on operation etc of that weapon.

Admin for a range prac is although not overly complicated, there is a format which must be adhered to. Risk annalysis's, bookings, org'ing sentries/comms, and medical etc etc must be forecast well in advance, and are practices conducted within the current range conduct and guidlelines set forth in publications.

US Forces have used the M9 Beretta 9mm pistol since the 80's, as thats their standard. Many BCW nations use the Browning HP as its the most popular pistol in the west, and has been in production since 1935, even produced in occupied Belgium, for the Germans.

Regards,

OWDU

EDITed for spelling  ;D

Some bases may have a shooting club, you might be able to get some practice there if you join them after you are posted somewhere. During your training I suspect you will be to busy.

Just curious about 9mm browning hp , what trades gets issued this, I searched but couldn't find info

Speaking from the Australian POV, on my tour in Iraq, all ranks/all trades had a 9mm pistol, and F88SA1 carbine issued, Gunners had Para Minimi LSWs.

Our Browning HPs FNH makes, and are MkIII Vigilanties, ergo grips, ambo safeties, nice pistols.

So whether you were a clerk, cook, or infantry/armoured, we all had pistols.

OWDU

You wouldn't want a generic CF BHP even if you were issued that POS.

MedTech said:
You wouldn't want a generic CF BHP even if you were issued that POS.

Actually, I've seen decent results with the CF Brownings - the main problems are the magazines, which are less than stellar, and consistently misfeed.  Newer/ better taken care of magazines work pretty well.

dapaterson said:
Actually, I've seen decent results with the CF Brownings - the main problems are the magazines, which are less than stellar, and consistently misfeed.  Newer/ better taken care of magazines work pretty well.

Like everything mileage may vary :).

My opinion of the Inglis 9mm Browning.

The Inglis pistol is one of the most robust ever made, and it will continue to be around for a long time yet within the CF as a whole.

Any issues with mags should be addressed with a hammer, yes I am serious. Worn mags need to be replaced with new ones.  Any mag with the initials JI on it are of WW II wartime manufacture. Remember that, as when I left 1995, pretty much all were JI marked. Hopefully things have changed in the past 15 yrs.

Defects need to be reported by first tagging such equipment. This is only as good as the personnel who ensure that this is done, and carry it on to the next level. Laziness, complaciency, and failure to act is no excuse.

I would openly carry an Inglis into theartre without any hesitation. But I will say equipment is as only as good as it is maintained, and with the correct technical inspections carried out by the EME side of the house, that should not be an issue.

Tired/worn equipment should never be issued out for training, yet alone a deployment. If this occurs it's not the fault of the equipment, its the fault of those that issue it out, and those that operate it and don't report defects.

My 2 cents,

Regards,

Wes

Overwatch Downunder said:
My opinion of the Inglis 9mm Browning.

The Inglis pistol is one of the most robust ever made, and it will continue to be around for a long time yet within the CF as a whole.

Any issues with mags should be addressed with a hammer, yes I am serious. Worn mags need to be replaced with new ones.  Any mag with the initials JI on it are of WW II wartime manufacture. Remember that, as when I left 1995, pretty much all were JI marked. Hopefully things have changed in the past 15 yrs.

Defects need to be reported by first tagging such equipment. This is only as good as the personnel who ensure that this is done, and carry it on to the next level. Laziness, complaciency, and failure to act is no excuse.

I would openly carry an Inglis into theartre without any hesitation. But I will say equipment is as only as good as it is maintained, and with the correct technical inspections carried out by the EME side of the house, that should not be an issue.

Tired/worn equipment should never be issued out for training, yet alone a deployment. If this occurs it's not the fault of the equipment, its the fault of those that issue it out, and those that operate it and don't report defects.

My 2 cents,

Regards,

Wes

Wes, both the BHP and Sig P225 will be replaced by a new pistol in the next few years as part of the first phase of SARP II.

COBRA-6 said:
Wes, both the BHP and Sig P225 will be replaced by a new pistol in the next few years as part of the first phase of SARP II.

NOOOO!!! Not my favourite Sig225!!! You mean we will no longer only carry 25rds of Justice while all the other LEOs have close to 40? You don't say!!!

Any idea what it might be C6?

dapaterson said:

They sure do.

Back