• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Latest from Angus Reid:

46% are “fearful of CPC forming govt” (their words, not mine), 35% are hopeful, 54% say CPC has a hidden agenda.

More details in the link.

I highlight that this question highlights the difference on voting against the current govt, versus voting for the current party in the lead. So while a majority of people want the LPC out, it doesn’t necessarily mean they want the CPC in.
That's consistent with my views on "bases" of the various parties: BQ: 7% Green: 4% Liberal: 23% NDP: 12% then you have solid Conservative: 25% plus "afraid of Poilievre but even more sick and tired" of Prime Minister Trudeau:" 10%.

Latest from Angus Reid:

46% are “fearful of CPC forming govt” (their words, not mine), 35% are hopeful, 54% say CPC has a hidden agenda.

More details in the link.

…article linked…

I highlight that this question highlights the difference on voting against the current govt, versus voting for the current party in the lead. So while a majority of people want the LPC out, it doesn’t necessarily mean they want the CPC in.

No, not “their words.” Their answers to chose one of five phrases that Angus Reid provided them:
  • Very hopeful
  • More hopeful than fearful
  • More fearful than hopeful
  • Very fearful
  • Not sure
As opposed to giving respondents the opportunity to provide an adjective themselves, then statistically tallying and ranking the top responses.

The question was formulated as though the only choices are to be hopeful, fearful or neither of those two…

Then it’s easy for pundits to say, “a large portion of Canadians are fearful of Poilievre!” See! The surveys prove it.

No, not “their words.” Their answers to chose one of five phrases that Angus Reid provided them:
  • Very hopeful
  • More hopeful than fearful
  • More fearful than hopeful
  • Very fearful
  • Not sure
As opposed to giving respondents the opportunity to provide an adjective themselves, then statistically tallying and ranking the top responses.

The question was formulated as though the only choices are to be hopeful, fearful or neither of those two…

Then it’s easy for pundits to say, “a large portion of Canadians are fearful of Poilievre!” See! The surveys prove it.
I agree that there should have been a “neither hopeful nor fearful” between the “mores”, but in terms of creating the survey, if they’re going to let people write their own responses, it would be X number of other responses (“wait and see”, “love it”, etc) they would have to sift through and rack/stack.

I mean, “they’re all morons” should be a choice but that doesn’t really translate to how they would (or not) vote.

The limited choice to fearful and hopeful themselves are deliberately polarizing adjectives. It wouldn’t be at all difficult to form a more objective survey…provide a range of say 20 adjectives that could reasonably be assessed to represent of spectrum of sentiment, then allow respondent to rate their top three choice in a manner that would weight the choices, then creat a word cloud from the consolidated responses. It was either lazy or deliberate on the part of ARI.

Back