• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Re- differences in CPC/LPC housing policy

If you believe in one there's not much room for extreme criticism of the other, they're pulling the same levers. To be frank- a broken clock IS right twice a day, and to give credit where due, despite all of their recent failings the current LPC housing policy is actually pretty good.

Negative to the LPC - spending more money we don't have, and exacerbating overall deficit picture
Negative to the CPC - withholding money based on performance that's outside of municipalities direct span of control risks worsening the problem by hampering infrastructure investment

Beyond that you get into the nuance of the appropriateness of the Feds pulling strings directly on municipalities, and whether or not the intervention should have been more proactive and sooner.

Edited Addition- there's an ironic ideological knot to be untied with the LPC housing accelerator. At the sharp end it's forcing conservative principles onto the municipalities, reducing regulation and enabling free market solutions. But in terms of implementation it's been argued that it's a jurisdictional overreach bypassing the provinces and acting all big government, and it's 4B in deficit spending.

Last edited:
Re- differences in CPC/LPC housing policy

If you believe in one there's not much room for extreme criticism of the other, they're pulling the same levers. To be frank- a broken clock IS right twice a day, and to give credit where due, despite all of their recent failings the current LPC housing policy is actually pretty good.

Negative to the LPC - spending more money we don't have, and exacerbating overall deficit picture
Negative to the CPC - withholding money based on performance that's outside of municipalities direct span of control risks worsening the problem by hampering infrastructure investment

Beyond that you get into the nuance of the appropriateness of the Feds pulling strings directly on municipalities, and whether or not the intervention should have been more proactive and sooner.

Edited Addition- there's an ironic ideological knot to be untied with the LPC housing accelerator. At the sharp end it's forcing conservative principles onto the municipalities, reducing regulation and enabling free market solutions. But in terms of implementation it's been argued that it's a jurisdictional overreach bypassing the provinces and acting all big government, and it's 4B in deficit spending.

Bigger problem:

You can't get there from here.

There aren't enough resources available to build shelter for (and supply services to) the number of incomers the Federal government decided to let into the country.

Seems like the old place wasn’t up to code and would save $2 million in Renos, etc.

Or, ya know, pull a 24 Sussex.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the diplomatic corps change out every so often anyway, usually with a leadership change? So the envoy would change with a CPC govt?

Seems like the old place wasn’t up to code and would save $2 million in Renos, etc.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the diplomatic corps change out every so often anyway, usually with a leadership change? So the envoy would change with a CPC govt?
Some way smarter than me have said if people in politics thought like adults about these things, they’d realize governments need decent, reasonable up-to-code spaces to work in. Running them into the ground creates a Mexican standoff where nobody wants to be the first “spendthrift” to fix up crap infrastructure.

Would PP have applauded (assuming the math is right) an $11M Reno of the old NY space, or would it have just been messaged as more extravagant spending? Where would a PP government find cheap accommodation meeting the needs of a government presence in NYC?

But firing the Consul General is something he could do - even if they do routinely rotate such positions not long after new management takes over.

Yea it makes for a very easy political win for PP. He fires the envoy "to punish the liberals for extravagant spending", but meanwhile they were planning on canning him anyways regardless if the expenditure, and they're probably fine with the expenditure.

I think the Federal Government could make a fairly significant impact on housing by just doing those two things: build new RHUs on every base that has a waiting list. The impact in Ottawa and Victoria alone of having sufficient RHUs would be measurable. The First Nations housing impact would be even larger. With sufficient housing stock on reserve (or First Nations Housing in major cities, perhaps run a First Nations Housing Authority, like the west coast first nations are moving to in Vancouver), I am pretty certain that it could positively impact homeless rates. Granted, some first nations are really remote and it will be expensive building houses and supporting infrastructure, like water, sewage and electricity, but done right…
There is plenty of reserves we have built proper water treatment plants, which the natives then fail to maintain resulting in their deterioration and back to boil water advisories. There has to also be a will to maintain and sustain the resources once provided or else all your doing is wasting money.

There is very, very, few places up to code, including brand new builds. If homes have to be up to code to function, pretty much most the homes in the country would be locked out (be it Canada or the US).

Where would a PP government find cheap accommodation meeting the needs of a government presence in NYC?

At $9m CAD, the property may be a relative bargain. The current available 3 bedrooms listed in the building are in the $13,000,000 – $22,750,000 USD range. But they would probably also go for a lot less. The one likely purchased by Canada was listed last year for $10,195,000 USD.

At $9m CAD, the property may be a relative bargain. The current available 3 bedrooms listed in the building are in the $13,000,000 – $22,750,000 USD range. But they would probably also go for a lot less. The one likely purchased by Canada was listed last year for $10,195,000 USD.

Wait - are you insinuating that there was context missing?!?!?! 🤣

And a bit more context .....

There is plenty of reserves we have built proper water treatment plants, which the natives then fail to maintain resulting in their deterioration and back to boil water advisories. There has to also be a will to maintain and sustain the resources once provided or else all your doing is wasting money.
Sadly on the Reserves there are a few overworked individuals that try to keep the lights on and whole bunch that like to complain. Thankfully that attitude is being squashed by the Leadership in some FN's, with a "If you want support, work or do something useful" attitude.

Back