• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Won't Stand on guard for thee - a man's opposition to the Canadian flag & anthem

I have just read the last 459 pages (or so it seems), and I only have one (albeit simplistic) point to make.....for now.

We can all talk about how you stole from me, I work harder than you, etc, etc, etc. But to me, the biggest and most important issue is equality, the rest are details.

No one, no matter when they arrived, what they built when they got here, how hard they work, etc, should be treated any differently based on their race. That means you are either a Canadian or you are not. No tax exemptions, no reservations, no nothing. Just as I can not be tried for a murder my great grandfather committed, I cannot be held responsible for the theft/mistreatment of Natives by their Colonial masters.

To grant someone something based on their race is just as racist and wrong as taking something away based on their race. To me, that means that we are committing just as heinous a crime by granting Natives tax exemptions (for instance) as the Colonial masters were when they mistreated the Natives. The severity is merely degrees, the violation is the same.

I have tried to ressurect some thoughts on my post which were lost, but I have failed miserably, I think. When I wrote the original I was definately "in the zone". I think however, that that door is closed and locked and what the following represents is my attempt to get under the door. There will be no quotes, or answers directed to individuals, as this is written offline, so as not to lose what little coherence may remain in my thoughts. I have also noted several new replies, so my apologies for there being no directed answers. I will do so however, seperately.

It seems to me, that the issue is being taken extremely personally by many, on both sides. For those who are "angry", I really need ask why? "Tax dollars wasted". Absolutely. But I have pointed out that the huge majority of aboriginal people in this country pay every single tax that you do. Their tax dollars send you to school, or your children, pay for your medicare and whatever other benefits flow to you and yours by way of taxation. That is a fact folks. And, for the most part, waste is at government level, not within communities. Of course, that waste and corruption is there, and rampant, in many communities. Aboriginal "leaders" learned well from government.

Am I angry? Certainly! Having served this country and her people, I am angered at the amazing lack of education of the issue(in this country, as a whole), the stereotypes being bandied about, and what can only be considered an almost complete lack of compassion for people who have been treated, virtually from day one, as the garbage of society. But I am as angry, possibly even angrier, that there are many aboriginals who continue to play the "blame whitey" game and refuse to take hold of opportunities.

"I didn't do it, why should I pay?" A valid point with, I believe, a relatively simple answer. Citizenship. Something which seems to be severely lacking in western democracies is the concept that, along with Constitutionally guarenteed Rights, comes responsibility. It doesn't matter if you are native-born or an immigrant. All of us bear those responsibilities, as citizens. Even more so for those who have in the past, currently do, or hope to in the future wear the uniform. Each of us has the right to voice our opinions, which I see as another responsibilty of citizenship. Without questioning all those in power, we have no democracy. Dissent is democracy and is meant to keep those in power honest.

Wearing the uniform makes that burden even heavier. The right to free-speech is curtailed somewhat and necessarily so. By swearing that Oath, you are saying that you will protect this country and her Constitution with your life. That is no easy burden for the strongest of individuals. An even heavier burden if you disagree with government policy. If we (and I do mean WE) just pick and choose which parts of the Constitution that we agree with, then we have dishonoured ourselves, the uniform, our buddies and all that we say we stand for. We will allow ourselves to be sent to shyteholes around the world by our masters, to help the downtrodden and weak and yet, we turn our eyes from similar abuses, perpetrated by our own governments, at home. I see no honour in that whatsoever.

Am I, who has had the concepts of honour and service drummed into my head since childhood, simply to turn my head at abuses in my own country? (and I do not just mean with aboriginal people). Am I to ignore the physical and emotional scars which my wife carries because those scars were inflicted by well-intentioned "white" people, acting under the authority of the government? Can I ignore the 16 yr old girl who showed up on my doorstep 2 nights ago, having been sexually abused by a nice non-aboriginal man, because she was a "dirty, dyke squaw"?

Were I to ignore these things, or similar events, because "I didn't do it" or "It's not my fault", I would be no different than the scum who perpetrated the events. I will re-iterate from a previous post of mine, you(the Royal you) must stop blaming the abused, and blame the abuser.

I will state categorically that these comments, nor any previous ones, are meant to cause harm to anyone here, unless they were in reply to an obvious personal attack. But, I will say that uneducated stereotypical comments should not be tolerated by anyone, no matter who they are aimed at.

"We, reposing especial Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage, and Integrity, do by these Presents Constitute and Appoint you to..."

Words to remember and live by, ladies and gentlemen.

Your humble ex-servant
Onewingwonder

onewingwonder said:
"I didn't do it, why should I pay?" A valid point with, I believe, a relatively simple answer. Citizenship. Something which seems to be severely lacking in western democracies is the concept that, along with Constitutionally guarenteed Rights, comes responsibility. It doesn't matter if you are native-born or an immigrant. All of us bear those responsibilities, as citizens.

Couldn't agree more. Part of that Responsiblity is a requirement to pay taxes, it is not 'optional'. I agree, also, that most Natives pay taxes, but the fact that taxes can be avoid is more the issue, not whether or not that 'option' is exercised.

Without equal responsiblities, you will never achieve equal rights.

Caesar,
Couldn't agree more. Part of that Responsiblity is a requirement to pay taxes, it is not 'optional'
Ah, but it is, you see. Says so in documents currently protected under the Constitution. Could that change? Absolutely, but both parties to the original documents must agree, as some have.

I would also point out large corporations, they've got many options than anyone not to pay taxes.

onewingwonder said:
Caesar,Ah, but it is, you see. Says so in documents currently protected under the Constitution. Could that change? Absolutely, but both parties to the original documents must agree, as some have.

I would also point out large corporations, they've got many options than anyone not to pay taxes.

Ok, perhaps I shouild have said that paying taxes SHOULDN'T be optional.

As well, your point regarding Corporations is not relavant, as we are referring to individuals, not groups. Besides, show me a Corporation (Non-Native of course  ;)), that doesn't pay ANY taxes.

Caesar,
As well, your point regarding Corporations is not relavant, as we are referring to individuals, not groups. Besides, show me a Corporation (Non-Native of course  ), that doesn't pay ANY taxes.
But we ARE talking about a group, aren't we. Status Indians, living on-reserve. As for corporations, there are so many loopholes that they can use, that many pay nowhere near what they should be. All "legal", of course, but hardly fair. You would also find it impossible to find a status Indian who pays NO tax. Simply isn't possible, which was a point I've tried to make. Taxes are in/on everything and everywhere. It would be impossible to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

onewingwonder said:
Caesar,But we ARE talking about a group, aren't we. Status Indians, living on-reserve. As for corporations, there are so many loopholes that they can use, that many pay nowhere near what they should be. All "legal", of course, but hardly fair. You would also find it impossible to find a status Indian who pays NO tax. Simply isn't possible, which was a point I've tried to make. Taxes are in/on everything and everywhere. It would be impossible to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

You can dance around it all you like, but the fact remains, Status Indians are not required to pay Income Tax (under certain circumstances), based on race.

Re: Corporations. The individuals who make up those corporations pay income tax, unless they are Status of course. That is the point.

onewingwonder said:
Caesar,But we ARE talking about a group, aren't we. Status Indians, living on-reserve.

Right, but were talking about individual 'rights', not the taxation of Corporations. Don't try and deflect attention away from an obvious double-standard in logic and racist 'right' by comparing tax breaks to Corporations and Tax Exemptions to Canadians based on their race.

Racism is not restricted to negative acts, it includes benefical ones as well. Please address this, or at least acknowlege it. How is the principle of prejudice any different? How can you claim to have a 'right' as a Native Canadian, but abdicate your responsiblities as a Canadian? You said it yourself:
onewingwonder said:
Something which seems to be severely lacking in western democracies is the concept that, along with Constitutionally guarenteed Rights, comes responsibility...All of us bear those responsibilities, as citizens.

Please explain how you can say that and defend income tax exemption (or any other special 'right', like Native fisheries).

Caesar,
first off, having been born with two left feet, I cannot dance and therefore never attempt to.
Status Indians are not required to pay Income Tax (under certain circumstances), based on race.
This statement is both true and false. They are not required to pay taxes, based on legally-binding contracts initiated by government, in order that government could aquire property. The fact that they are of a different race, in my opinion anyway, is secondary.
The individuals who make up those corporations pay income tax
Many do, many do not. That is why the whole concept of offshore companies is so tasty. Just ask the PM.
Right, but were talking about individual 'rights', not the taxation of Corporations. Don't try and deflect attention away from an obvious double-standard in logic and racist 'right' by comparing tax breaks to Corporations and Tax Exemptions to Canadians based on their race.
The first statement is somewhat tough to explain, but Aboriginal & Treaty Rights are not individual rights. They are collective. As to where corporations came into it, I introduced it simply to try and answer a previous post that might draw an analogy which could be more easily understood.
Racism is not restricted to negative acts, it includes benefical ones as well. Please address this, or at least acknowlege it. How is the principle of prejudice any different?
I concur completely, and I don't believe that I've said anything different.
How can you claim to have a 'right' as a Native Canadian, but abdicate your responsiblities as a Canadian?
Maybe I'm just being thick here, but if an individual or group of individuals, is acting within the Law of the Land (the Constitution), how can that be seen as dodging a responsibility as a citizen? I understand what you are saying, but you seem unwilling to recognize the fact of the Law.
Please explain how you can say that and defend income tax exemption (or any other special 'right', like Native fisheries).
I don't believe that I have defended income tax excemption. It is a fact of Law. With regards the Fishery, I could defend that quite handily, but have no interest in wiping out the bandwidth of this board. To put it simply: government initiated legally-binding contracts. Then broke those contracts. Then the SC told them they were wrong and that to continue to break the contracts would put the honour of the Crown in peril. Oh, and the fishermen I know (lotta family members) all pay income tax. Go figure.

onewingwonder said:
As for the second to last of your sentences, I'm going to assume that it wasn't truly mean to sound so condescending as it, in fact, does. An Indian Club!? Special Art in my home!? You really must be joking...aren't you?

Why not. Ive seen clubs from "magic card club" to "Roman Legion rein actors." People have all kinds art, tools, ect that represent their heritage. Anyone been in a Ukranian family's house? Or how about a Irish household?  The point i was trying to make is that anyone can enjoy their heritage on their own time. The issue of heritage should not prevent people from functioning in society. It shouldn't be a issue. I call it a "crutch" because some natives see leaving reservations as abondoning their heritage. Funny how poeple can migrate across the globe and have no issue with this.

I call it a "crutch" because some natives see leaving reservations as abondoning their heritage. Funny how poeple can migrate across the globe and have no issue with this.
I understood what you meant and agreed. As to the second point, I would be very surprised if it wasn't an issue. You're own example shows that they bring their heritage with them. Unfortunately for all, many also bring along a ton of baggage.

I do not think that I can explain the situation any better than my use of the term Institutional PTSD, for that is what people are experiencing. Native people didn't want it, didn't ask for it, had it forced upon us ,but are being told to forget about it and suck it up. There seems to me to be some seriously flawed logic in there somewhere. Or is it me?

As the pace has clearly slowed from earlier in the day, I would think that it is the opportune time to try and answer some earlier questions.

Sub_Guy,

first an apology for allowing sarcasm to cloud the post that I made earlier in reply to you. Bad habit picked up from the Brits. That "dry" sense of humour does not always go over too well.

Thank you for the links you posted. The reason I asked was not that I thought those particular stats were untrue, but that it does get very tiring always hearing people pull such numbers out of thin air to make a point. Seems it has become a habit for most not having to justify their statements, simply due to the anonymity of these Boards. I am, unfortunately, fully aware that they are true. The problem is not the stats themselves, but how they got as high as they did.

The pregnancy one is culturally based, I would say. Not completely, but somewhat. The prison rate is so high for several reasons. Some of what I know comes from participation in certain round-tables on the issue, and the other comes from talking with many of those currently in prison, or who have been there in the past.

Because of past abuses, a large portion, if not the majority of Native people have a deep seated mistrust of both the police and the judiciary. Considering events which have transpired over the past couple of years, this should come as no surprise. When it is found that police officers shoot a native man, all the while making Indian jokes, it makes all of us wonder(Ipperwash). When we see that other officers have committed murder, although possibly unintentional, it makes us all wonder(Apologies but cannot recal if Regina or Saskatoon). It makes us wonder who is next. And, usually, those authority figures end up getting a mere slap on the wrist, if they end up in Court at all.

On the flip side, when aboriginal people f^ck up and end up in Court, they know darned well that they are headed inside. For the most part, they plead guilty right away, even if they are not guilty. Why? Because history has proven that for years the Courts did not care.

Again, I will point to my post re. Institutional PTSD (maybe I should copyright that term?). If you treat a person as a criminal, they will become one. If you treat them as being irresponsible, they will become so. If you treat adults as children, they'll never take care of themselves. (this is all the Royal you, BTW).

Sure all of those problems are a factor for Non-aboriginals, so we have to find a long term solution that works for everybody.
From your initial posts, I would not have believe this was the case with you. However, from this one I see that it is. What we hear so often, and I mean daily, is "taxes, houses, fishing, moose" blah blah blah. It is exceedingly rare that we actually here someone say "Hey, guys, what can I do to help?". I don't mean money and I don't mean mere words and I don't mean those freaky, hippy types looking for the latest cause. You know what help we really need. Understanding. Try to understand how WE came to be in the shytty situation that WE are in. Your taxes and my taxes would be taken anyway, so don't think if INAC disappeared it would change. I know it wouldn't. So in reality, I mean actual reality, OUR situation does not affect you. And you are right, what happens from here on in must take EVERYONE into account. It isn't a Liberal problem, or a Conservative problem, and certainly not an NDP problem (bloody opportunists), it is an aboriginal Canadian problem. When we have a real opportunity to become full partners in this country, full CITIZENS in place and not just words, then will the solution be at hand.

I hope my grammer and spelling don't offend anyone else on here, btw it's a loonie not a twoonie...............
ahem...see apology above. :-[ Consider the toonie interest. (sorry, couldn't help myself ;D)

muskrat89,
you know, I'm not actually bitter, although it probably comes out that way. I would have to say that is actually shame. I am ashamed, as a Canadian and as a former Rupert, that this whole situation still exists to the extent that it does and that if ever came to fruition in the first place; and ashamed as an aboriginal person that so many of us have not done enough to change it. When we actually do assert ourselves, the same old hackneyed arguments are brought and no constructive comments.

Do you think assigning blame at this point helps to find a "cure", or does it simply help reinforce your points in defining "the problem"?  
Unfortunately, for healing to truly begin, and healing is seriously needed, I think blame must be apportioned and the guilty made to "pay". I don't mean money either. I mean an honest attempt at solving the issue, without muddying the waters as they (governments) always do, to truly live up to decisions set down by the Supreme Court (without changing the true meaning of the decisions to suit their purposes), to get rid of every corrupt bureaucrat who has anything to do with aboriginal people.
[rant]And finally, this being non-negotiable, the Government of Canada must publically apologize to the victims of residential schools, and to all Canadian citizens and to admit they (the gov) are accountable and pay restitution. The restitution to be paid immediately before the victims all die!![/rant]

This country has done some absolutely amazing things around the world. But the "Indian Problem" is Canada's shame.

On a personal level, most aboriginal people don't believe they are "owed" anything, although obviously there are also many who make these statements. What I think we mostly desire, is that government actually live up to its committments and stop dishonouring the Crown. (I know it sounds strange, but most aboriginal people have a soft spot for Auntie Betty and her strange batch of offspring.)

WRT your observations on the Rez (hey, yer an NB boy, eh!?) you are right. The most affluent are the "leaders". I'm the last to even try to explain their behaviour and attitudes other than to say they sick f%^ks. I should try at least, and I'll just point over to the PTSD issue. Almost all are residential school survivors, save several newer generation types, and therefore have no clue as to how to do the job they do. Again, if you always treat people like children, they'll remain as children, knowing that "daddy" will take the heat. It sucks, plain and simple.

When people move away like that, do they give up their status, or card, or whatever the term is? I guess I'm wondering what was involved, when people moved off, like that.
At this point in time, no. Up until 20 years ago, yes. Only 20 years ago. They grieved, because they knew they could never return. Housing was not available. They couldn't build their own without laying out the full amount of dosh, because it was impossible to get a loan. The hardest hit were the women.

If people can choose to move off (and hopefully be successful), why don't more folks just make that choice? Do the other Tribe Members feel like the ones that move off are traitors (not the best word, perhaps)? I guess - is there a stigma attached to those people, because they are choosing to be assimilated, rather than stick with their culture? I know I'm not wording that the best, but hopefully you understand my gist, and can explain more the intricacies associated with moving away from the Res.

The simplest answer in many cases is fear. I cannot explain, even to myself, the attachment that we feel for these god-awful scraps of bog and rock. They are...a lifeline. I've known a number of old folks who fear the government so much, that they have never left their community for more than a few hours. Not a fear of kidnapping or the like, but a fear that if they are gone to long, that piece of dirt will be stolen. No joke. Unrealistic...yes. Unheard of...NO.

But, as of today, I believe around 60% of all status Indians live off-reserve, and of course all non-status and Métis. Unfortunately, as some here have noticed in their own communties, many end up in native ghettos.

Stigma. Yes, to a certain degree. I think you'd find that across Canada, in every community though. Parents and families don't like to see their children head into the unknow, It's even harder if you are a visible minority, and in a lot of cities harder still if you are clearly native.

Traitors. No, I don't think so. But for many older folks, it is hard for them to see their children marry non-natives. Not for any racist reason, mind you, but because they know that the resulting children will (now) become "legally" non-native. At the stroke of a pen, an Indian is turned "white".

I had a chat a few years ago with a guy who considered himself "traditional", with regards to all the women moving back to the Rez, bringing with them their non-native husbands. To be honest, it was an argument...a very heated one, at that. He bitched and moaned about them bringing "whitey" into the community, to take away jobs etc. When I pointed out that many of the men on the Rez had non-native wives, including him, all he could counter with was "It's different". In his case, it was different, because his cultural background was a matrilineal and matriarchal society. So, in reality, he should have been the one who should have left in the first place and not those women. It shut him up very quickly, but I didn't change his mind.

I am not sure if I have answered the questions of those I'd missed earlier. If I have not, then my apologies. I will leave you now with a saying that came to me by way of the most distinguished Elder it has ever been my honour to know: A man who lives without self-respect, is only pretending to live; a man who steals another man's self-respect, should never have been born.

His name, by the way, was not Chief Dan George, or Swims with Dolphins, or Dancing Frog, or Fluffy Bunny Slippers. His name was Spoorvart Bailey, my maternal grandfather, born in NE England, on the sea, and an orphan.

By the way folks, my wife says that I should be less confronational and "be nice". Bloody woman, bless her heart, she is more forgiving than I. I'm sure there is a bloody good message in that somewhere.

onewingwonder

You know I have never used the spell checker option on this, and maybe I should start.

I do know that from reading my previous posts back to myself, there are some comments that were made that don't represent how I truly feel.  Like most Canadians when it comes to the heritage of our native people, and how things are handled by our government, I am ignorant (uneducated).  I will admit that all of the knowledge (lack of knowledge) I have of reservations and native rights are from non-natives (can't get any more ignorant, uneducated than that).  :-[

I dislike people begging for money,  I don't care what race they are....Last night I was asked again for my shopping cart loonie and the guy was as white as fresh snow.  :-[    <---Thinking back on a previous posts on here, I felt like a tool box, and rightfully so <--- My wife has confirmed that I am indeed a tool box

I will take your advice though and educate myself, as I found these few days to be an eye opener......

For those of you who I offended during the past few days please accept my apology.

I am sorry and embarrassed :-[

Sub_Guy,

not sure if the spell-checker would have done any good. During the writing of my last, I noticed that I had made a number of typos. Tried the spell checker and it did some strange things. It actually added extra letters that shouldn't be there.
My wife has confirmed that I am indeed a tool box
Maybe that should be the lesson of the day for us testosterone-laden types? God only knows what I may have posted last night if my wife hadn't decided to proof my post. We may indeed have the tools...but they have the box. ;D

Hey, we all need to step back every now and again and reassess our attitudes and actions. That is, after all, why Eagle put erasers on pencils.

BTW to prove my point re. spell check, I'm certain that I misspelt "reassess". SC says its fine though. Is it just me?

Thanks, onewing, for the answers.. very informative.

Yes, an NB boy, but alas - now a long way from home. My neighbors these days are Pimas, Navajos, and Apaches  :)

I can think of quite a few....Rainbow Lake/Zama, Wabasca, Ft St John/Ft Nelson,....and the list goes on ;D

Retired? Hardly (I'm only 38 after all) but have been here about 8 years. It's an interesting place, for sure...

Oh - and people who say "But it's a dry heat!" have never been here...  :skull:

Back