• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War Museum Controversy and Follow-up Thread [merged]

I was at the museum today (990th member of the public to enter ;D), and I saw the painting. It is located across from the cloakroom on the wall of the Barney Danson Theatre, along with many other paintings. It is not prominent or singled out, and there is no sign explaining the painting. Most members of the public probably do not even know what the subject is. The new museum is quite impressive, and they do not glorify war, and they do not seem to single out this one atrocity. I felt that certain sections (esp. the ww1 area) were incredible, with walk in trenches w/ periscopes, and a more hands on approach to things. The large artifact area takes up half the ground floor, and there are artifacts ranging from early artillery to light armoured vehicles still in use (pretty much the best of Vimy House).
JamesJ

I also went to the War Museum today.

The picture itself is not a centerpiece, but at the same time it is also not just another picture in a row of others. The picture is located in the last area of Section 4 (World War II - Present or Modern Conflicts) and beside a picture of Gen. Dallaire (similar to this one - http://www.carleton.ca/jmc/mediagenocide/background/images/4thumb.jpg ) These are the two main pictures in the area. On the other walls there are smaller pictures showcasing events like Oka, and rows of magazine covers from the likes of Time and McLeans, that show little blurbs about things that happened in the 90s (Again, Oka ... Hussein etc). In the center of the room there are seats, positioned to look at 3 television monitors that, to the tune of sentimental music, shows Canadian soldiers (from what I saw, didn't watch it all) as peacekeepers/disaster relief operators. To the left of the picture of the MCpl and Gen. Dallaire there is a table set up where you can write comments, which from what I saw was littered with "Violence is not the Answer!" etc. and of course my criticism.

I did not see anything about other actions in Somalia, though it was busy and I was rushed for time. Perhaps I missed it. Perhaps they just didn't bother. I wouldn't be suprised if the latter were true - many of the exhibits at the museum were glossed over. I guess I expected more than to see one or two "Did Ya Know?" paragraphs on something like Somme. Likewise I expected to see more about Somalia than just a soldier strangling a Somali. Even with some of the amazing paintings, uniforms, vehicles and displays it just didn't feel like a pure and whole war museum, mainly because of omissions or just not hitting the mark.

Sat, May 7, 2005
Memento of a terrible time
By HOLLY LAKE, Ottawa Sun
SOMETIMES THE smallest things make the most powerful statements.

In the case of the new Canadian War Museum, set to open today, it's a tiny teddy bear that perhaps best illustrates the very human toll of war.
Hand sewn by Aileen Rogers, she'd asked her father to wear it always to keep him safe while away at war.
With its floppy ears and simply stitched facial features, the legless bear was a child's innocent attempt to comfort her father at a time when there was little comfort to be had.

In the muddy trenches of France, the bear was a stark contrast to the unimaginable horror unfolding every day.
But for two years Pte. Lawrence Rogers and the fuzzy fellow were inseparable. Together they faced some of the worst battles on the western front during World War I.

When the 38-year-old medic was killed by shrapnel in 1917 while caring for a soldier in a Passchendaele field, the bear was with him.
Rogers was buried, but a shell later exploded near his grave, destroying his remains.

The tiny bear was all there was left to return to his family at their farm in Cowansville, Que. For 80 years, they held it close to their heart as Rogers had done. It was only in 2004 that they agreed to donate it to the museum.
Curator and historian Tim Cook says the "powerful artifact" was important to include as it represents the human face of battle.
"We think of the First World War as this massive industrial war, with machine guns and artillery, armies of millions fighting day after day, month after month, year after year," he says.
"We have to keep in mind these were individuals."

Next to the bear is a letter Rogers' son wrote to him on Sept. 8, 1917. Sadly, Rogers never received it.
It arrived in Europe after he was killed and was sent back to his family unopened.
The letter's content is mundane. School's going well. The boy misses his dad. Cook says it's another evocative image of soldiers leaving their families behind.

"I found it very touching. We think of it as very much a young man's war. (But Rogers) was 38 when he enlisted and felt very passionate about going overseas. And he left behind a family -- a wife and two children," Cook says.

"All of these soldiers, they all left behind families (for 4 1/2 years). It's worth remembering because that's part of the sacrifice of war."
holly.lake@ott.sunpub.com

I'm on leave in Ottawa right now, and I took the opportunity to go to the war museum... All I can say is Wow.. amazing. I took about a hundred pictures. I'll try and post a couple when I'm back home next weekend.

Hi Tess, I see your Iltis made on the CBC this afternoon, it was in the workshop.

Art J

with my luck they will patch the thing up and resell to make up for the debt of the new building. hehehe

dileas

tess

Actually that Iltis is on the main floor with all the other vehs on display.  Definitely not in the "Workshop".

Nice digs.  Will have to go again, when they finish all the displays and perhaps improve some of the labels.

Thanks George, I guess when they did the article it was still in the shop. Either that or the commentator or I were confused.

I found this report very interesting, especially LGen Daillaire's perspective ...

Divergent portraits of war
Canadian heroes relive their battles: War Museum's 'anguished' portrait troubles Dallaire

Elizabeth Payne, The Ottawa Citizen, May 7, 2005

CREDIT: Wayne Cuddington, The Ottawa Citizen
The painting of retired Lt.-Gen. Romeo Dallaire is set on a camouflage background and depicts him wearing the blue beret of the UN, one hand covering his face. While Lt.-Gen. Dallaire is concerned with the placement of the work, museum officials have said they have not received any complaints.

More Columns By This Writer
:: Have an Imperfect Christmas

Retired Lt.-Gen. Romeo Dallaire says he is uncomfortable with the placement of an anguished portrait of him at the Canadian War Museum and would like it moved.

"I just felt that maybe people don't want to see something like that up front," Lt.-Gen. Dallaire said of the portrait by Toronto artist Gertrude Kearns that hangs on the portrait wall near the front of the building.

The powerful portrait, on nylon canvas printed in a camouflage pattern, depicts an emotional Lt.-Gen. Dallaire wearing the blue beret of the UN, one hand covering his face.

It is one of a series of paintings Ms. Kearns has done on Lt.-Gen. Dallaire and Rwanda. Another of her portraits of the general hangs further inside the museum.

The former head of the UN peacekeeping mission in Rwanda, interviewed by phone from Quebec City, said he finds the painting "difficult."

"I'm surprised they would have considered it to be in the war museum to start with."

Although Lt.-Gen. Dallaire won't be able to visit the new museum until later this month, he said a colleague contacted him with concerns that the painting was one of the first things museum visitors would see. Lt.-Gen. Dallaire agrees.

"It's not the kind of exhibit you want right near the entrance," he said.

Lt.-Gen. Dallaire, 58, led the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Rwanda during the 1994 genocide that was ignored by the UN and the Western world.

Lt.-Gen. Dallaire warned the UN of the approaching conflict, but he and his soldiers were left to look on as men, women and children were slaughtered before their eyes. He returned to Canada with post-traumatic stress syndrome and, at one point, tried to kill himself.

The author of Shake Hands with the Devil has spent the past few years travelling the country and telling his story.

Lt.-Gen. Dallaire has told Ms. Kearns that he finds the series of Rwanda paintings she did of him powerful, but difficult. He has only seen copies of the works, but the two have been in contact about the portraits.

The paintings have been called "brutal and brilliant," as well as "psychologically complex" by art critics.

Museum director Joe Geurts said yesterday he is not aware of any concerns about the Dallaire portrait.

"I have not personally heard from anyone who has visited the museum who has had any difficulty with that work," Mr. Geurts said.

And Lt.-Gen. Dallaire said it is "OK if they decide to leave it there. ... What (the museum) decides is up to them."

The portrait is the second of Ms. Kearns' works on the museum's portrait wall that has drawn fire in the days leading up to the opening of the $136-million museum. Earlier this week, Cliff Chadderton, chairman of the National Council of Veteran Associations, said he plans to boycott the opening because of Ms. Kearns' paintings depicting soldiers Clayton Matchee and Kyle Brown. The two were involved in the torture and death of Somali teenager Shidane Arone in 1993.

Mr. Chadderton, who called the works insulting, told the Citizen the paintings have no place in the museum. He even offered to pay to have them taken down. A few other veterans have written to the Citizen in support of his view.

In an interview this week, Ms. Kearns said she's not surprised the works are controversial, but that is one reason they belong in the Canadian War Museum.

"I wouldn't have been interested in the subject matter if it hadn't been controversial," she said of the Somalia affair. "It grabbed my imagination."

Ms. Kearns said she is surprised Mr. Chadderton is so upset by the Somalia paintings, since the fundraising group Friends of the War Museum, made up largely of veterans, was behind their purchase.

Nor are the paintings new to the museum. They have been part of its permanent collection -- albeit in storage -- for years.

Museum officials, who strongly support Ms. Kearns' works, have said they are proud the museum has not shied away from tough subjects.

Ms. Kearns says there is no doubt her paintings belong in the museum. And the fact that people are talking about them is a good thing.

"The Canadian public should realize that the conditions around missions are incredibly difficult."

Three of Ms. Kearns' works are displayed on the museum's portrait wall. In addition to the portrait of Lt.-Gen. Dallaire and the painting of Kyle Brown is a portrait of a soldier with post-traumatic stress disorder. The museum also has a poster by Ms. Kearns of Gen. Lewis McKenzie, with the words "Keep The Peace or I'll Kill You" written below. That is not on display at the museum.

Ms. Kearns said she is thrilled her works are in the new war museum. The museum's art curator, Laura Brandon, said people who have been through the museum during pre-opening tours generally have a different view of Ms. Kearns' works than those who have not yet seen the museum.

"Anyone who has come to the museum and been around the exhibits understands the whole picture."

There are nearly 500 pieces of war art on display in the museum. The portrait wall contains 26 paintings, including an honoured hero, a laughing war bride, a child, a drowning sailor and others.

http://www.canada.com/components/printstory/printstory4.aspx?id=b3d10597-6900-4cef-ab56-caa9a543c890

:o
Gee the Artist thinks they should be there - what a shock  ::)

I wonder what would happen if a vet went up and ripped down the two pictures?

The liberal press and "those" types would have a journalistic field days saying " See, we told you so, barbarians one and all"

I have not seen the new War Museum, but from reading all the posts on the subject it seems clear that instead of showing the sacrifices, bravery and accomplishments of our military, through many difficult years there is an attempt to humiliate, and showcase the failures of the Canadian military, without any context or explanation.

As for the artist wanting to see controversy with people looking at her paintings, I did not know that was the point of a Military museum, but then the artist and committee that bought it probably think that feces and used ladies toiletries can be made into art.

condor888000 said:
Immature cadet with a closed mind eh? You made this assumption after reading what? 4, 5 posts of mine in this thread? Never speaking to me personally? I guess you don't have to......seeing "cadet" in a profile is enough eh?   ::)

Alright, you've made your point, I'll slink off back to the cadet form..........never to come back out and state my opinion in a matter which involes all Canadians, those who have served or are serving, and those who haven't and never will.

PS: If you want to slam me, go ahead, however, don't slam cadets at the same time.

Okay, if we were to put it into a cadet context then.... obviously youre proud of cadets. youre proud of what you stand for and what you do...

now lets say theyre opening a cadet museum. and along with artwork of cadets doing good their are portraits of, oh i dunno... how about a CIC officer molesting some staff cadets, maybe another picture of staff cadets soddomizing a 12 year old cadet with the bug bar...  or if all else fails just show a montage painting depicting cadets at camp drinking behind the tents and fornicating like rabbits...

is cadets more then that? yes absolutely... do these things, and have these things happened within the cadet movement? yes.

now do you understand clearly where many of these soldiers are comming from? personally I dont have a problem with the painting of the guy holding the dice... but the portrait of matchee is completely uneccisary and insulting...  IMHO it doesnt do anyting but give people a very negative veiw of the army and hold up the whole barbarian, baby killer stereotype.

I will however visit the museum, so that i too can see for myself just how it is depicted. more so, however to see all the other displays which i missed when i toured the old museum, last summer.

anyways, from what people have wrote it seems that thankfully they are nor glorifying the portrait, but once again IMHO they could have found much better ways to educate canadians on the CAR

regards  :salute:

The New CWM is still unfinished.  In my two to three hour walk through (in a hurry) I saw several empty or unfinished displays.  It is a work in progress.  I noticed that there were omissions, such as no mention of the Canadian Cavalry Bde as far as I saw.  There is too much there to dwell on one location or event to any extent.  In many cases a single picture was all that represented a certain event while other events had a bit more than they really required.  The Dallaire and Brown paintings are in a hall near the Cafeteria.  The Matchee and another Camouflage paintings similar to the Dallaire painting, are at the end of the Present History gallery.  In both locations, security guards were quite obvious.  It has already been noted that the end of the Present Day History gallery there are tables with pre-addressed Post Cards where the Public could send their comments to various "Leaders" or "Organizations".  (I noticed one pre-addressed to the Leader of the Bloc and another pre-addressed to the President of the USA.)

I found that some of the labels were lacking in info, and in some cases the print was too small, an oddity for a Museum of this calibre.  As I have already mentioned, the displays are not all complete yet and I am sure once the initial crowds die down, Tour Guides will be better able to interpret the displays for groups of visitors (Something that is impossible to do at this stage.). 

Is this a Museum worth visiting?  The answer is yes, with the skilled guidance of an Interpreter.  A vastly different museum, than the old museum.  It is probably already too small for what it holds and wants to display.

saw the 'Lanc fly over my house on its way home from ottawa on sunday... its quite majestic to watch.. a piece of history flying over.. it'll be a sad day in my books when they are forced to ground it...

Cpl Thompson said:
saw the 'Lanc fly over my house on its way home from ottawa on sunday... its quite majestic to watch.. a piece of history flying over.. it'll be a sad day in my books when they are forced to ground it...

which will hopefully not be anytime soon. my dad and i are trying to see if we can get my grandpa up to the Front to sit in the flight engineers seat for the first time in 60 years.

Asa far as I know, both Brown and Matchee were aboriginal soldiers. What do these images say about the good service and bravery of thousands of First Nations soldiers in our history? And (perhaps cynically...) how long would these images stay up if the AFN lodged a formal complaint that the pictures were racist because they portray native Canadian soldiers in a negative light? About one day, I'll bet.

Cheers.

Back