• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Truth Duty Valour

I just happened to catch an episode of Truth Duty Valour while on holiday this past week, and am now delighted to hear that it was actually the very first episode, meaning I have not missed any previous ones. As a civilian quite interested in joining the Army, this show is quite informative and I am glad that it will give us civilians more insight to the duties and training of our Canadian Forces. And excellent idea for a tv show in my opinion, it‘s about time we had something more spotlighting the forces.

Better done than ep1. Probably because it‘s not Francophones trying to explain in English. (no offence to francophones)

Just watched it, pretty **** good. I saw this forum..and realised it was on in 2 minutes so i rushed upstairs like a tool to watch it! i wanna get my hands on one of those MP5‘s....

hmmm, is it only me, or at 6pmEST on OLN some show other than Truth duty valour played???? anybody want to fill me in, when it did play, or when i can catch ep. 2 again

They are a dream to fire, no problems with stoppages and will eat any 9mm you feed it. I love being boarding party. I do wish they would coach the guys speaking though, they look hestiant for the speaking roles for whick they were assigned to.

You mean the "sir, open the door and come out!"?

I thought that the episode was informative, but I would like to know more about the rules of engagement for boarding parties.
Do NBPs operate as strictly as a police tactical unit would, with respect to preserving the lives and rights of the suspects/hostile resistors , or are they more aggressive and ‘militant‘ when dealing with dangerous opponents?

When we are about to board a ship....we have the ship‘s master place the crew where they can be clearly seen on the upper decks where they can be covered by our parent unit and if available a helicopter. Obviously some members of the ships company have to remain at their stations like an engineer and 1 or 2 on the bridge. When all the ships company is accounted for then we board. Upon boarding and the securing of key areas onboard the ship then a search is done of the ship. Not knowing the scenario this boarding party was given I can‘t say why they did it the way they did so but on my two deployments to the Gulf in ‘01 and ‘02 we entered the room tactically, not this quick look stuff close the door and then the "sir, open the door and come out!"? We went in fast and hard. All personnel encountered are treated fairly and with dignity as much as possible and yes we addressed them as sir. For the most part these guys are 3rd world sailors who have not seen their family in a year if not longer and when they see a bunch of armed uniformed guys with weapons they are terrifed and 9 out of 10 times are very co-operative.
Kirk to answer your question different situations called for different rules of engagement but the main one that was important to us was our right to self defence. So far our training has paid off, we have not lost a boarding party member or have killed anyone on vessels we have boarded so that shows the training works.

Thanks for the informative reply; that cleared it up for me. I find nothing wrong with self defence, or the tradeoff of politeness for safety.

:warstory:

I enjoyed the way they showed some of those pers holding their Sig P225‘s (broken thumbs anyone). I‘m assuming that was a basic course and that other courses (including live fire training, etc...) are to follow? It seems interesting overall, but I‘m not quite ready to give up the Infantry life for ship life just yet, although living in Victoria is a bonus.

Bear in mind, I say that knowing that I‘m still not reenlisted. I‘m just maintaining my optimism that CFRC will smarten up at some point. Make for a nice surprise.

Also, "We‘re like the S.E.A.L‘s...almost." Not an exact quote of the young sailor, but something like that. It‘s good to be confident in your skills, but what was that, an 18 day course? Uh. ok. Yep kiddo, you‘re just like that, when you‘re not glued to your monitor. And firing those guns is great fun. Until the day someone decides to send a few rounds back atcha. Then it‘s not quite so much fun anymore.

Having been through the course what the kid meant was to give the viewer a frame of reference for what we do. We are nowhere‘s nor will ever be close to the training a SEAL goes through but how do you explain Boarding Party to John Q. Public? He did alright for an AB and on camera on a show to be aired to millions of people.

Also the P225 is the only weapon we do a boarding which will have a round chambered. The MP5 and 870 will only do so when the fit hits the shan. The P225 will have a round chambered before we leave our ship and when a round is chambered the weapon must be decocked and the hammer seated. Checking the hammer with your thumb is just an added check to verify that the weapon is de-cocked. Trigger control was stressed and as it should be, we were taught not to go near the trigger unless you were about to squeeze it.

An Enzo as for you last comment firing guns is fun until a few rounds are sent back at you. I agree but I don‘t think it would be just the navy not to enjoy having rounds sent back at you. I doubt anyone in the army enjoys it very much either.

For sailors joining a boarding party is hard work but its different from your usual job and thats where a lot of the rush is.

Wow I wish we had a TV with cable in this house...or a TV at all for that matter...I gonna check online and if I can‘t find any, mabey order them on DVD or something.

Dragoon - I‘ll give you that about the kid and the camera. I know I‘m not much of a public speaker and he probably came across better than I would have.

As for the show itself. I noticed people thumbing the hammer from time to time. I figured something along those lines as they were usually appearing as though they were preparing to deploy. However, one female was supposed to be behind cover firing upon a combatant (she was using the red dummy gun) and as she was calling "bang, bang" her thumb was clearly behind the hammer as she was doing so. This suggested to me that live fire hadn‘t occured at this phase of the training. That‘s a habit that will be broken quickly with live ammunition (literally).

I also had to admit that while watching some of what was shown was easy to criticize from the couch. I agreed with the comment that for many, this was their first weapons handling since BMQ. In addition, most are not combat arms trained from the outset, so for technicians and support pers, they did well. It‘s the Infantry in me to speak out. Besides, we never were able to play w/ MP5‘s or P225‘s. :D

What I‘d like to know is, was that a basic course or the full course? Is there a more intensive course that provides a mock up with simulated fire training? Either blanks, MILES, or simunitions? Something to get the pers used to actual fire in close quarters so that their first experience with that isn‘t in the field (or on a ship to be more precise)? As for the rounds back at you comment, difference is the training that the Infantry specializes in. Some may not like it, but by the time they deploy abroad, they should have enough simulated training to prep them for the real thing. Therein lies the difference. Then again, you can only train so much and hope for the rest. Sometimes courage comes from where it‘s least expected.

This was the Basic Course and as was stated last 18 days. Within those 18 days you get 5 days on the range of staright shooting and some minor tactical stuff. Nothing to what an infanteer goes through but enough to get you thinking about concealment and cover. You can‘t do section battle drills in the holds of too many ships anyways :D . We don‘t see any MILES gear but do get to practice in the Small Arms Simulator. The drawback there is only 2 members can go through at any one time. The only onces that get an advanced course is the boarding party officer, the PO1 (2IC) and the witnessing officer. We also go through periodic team training where we practice procedures, empty hand control, tactics search procedures that type of thing. When we sail we also do range practices off the flight deck. Placing your thumb behind the hammer of a pistol and leaving it therer is definitely something they would only do once and learn the hardway but that comes with practice.

Thanks Drag. I can appreciate all of that. When I was toying with the idea of going to the navy as a MARS officer (primarily to keep me in Victoria, still may if I can ever get back in :D ) I always said that I‘d have to be involved with the boarding party to keep my adrenaline requirements satiated and my interest up. In the Reg Force, can you apply for both Ships Diver and Boarding Party, or is it a matter of only one? What about pilots, can they take either course? I‘d think that both would be, have to do something while the Sea King‘s in the hangar eh? :D

We have people qualified for both but they can usually only do one or the other because it doesn‘t do the ship‘s company any good if one of the rescue divers is doing a boarding and you have a man overboard. None of the air detachment can go for either ships diver or NLBP.

I like the show but I find it gets boring, they should talk about two different topics instead of just one.

Back