• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

I hear the same thing from people here in Kingston and area.
My wife's parents are keen for us to move closer to the nest. She is from Kingston.

I am 100% against the idea and have explicitly stated so. My wife is onboard with my plan because she knows money talks. We have by all accounts, made a very good life for ourselves and want for basically nothing. We own a big house, nice property, a bunch of toys, etc.

Every time we go to her parents place, her boomer mother makes some comment about "money not being everything"...

Easy for her to say, she barely worked and my Father in law made all the money and they have a nice paid off house, a cottage, etc.

When I explain that I am making that life for us and ir requires sacrifice, crickets....

My wife's parents are keen for us to move closer to the nest. She is from Kingston.

I am 100% against the idea and have explicitly stated so. My wife is onboard with my plan because she knows money talks. We have by all accounts, made a very good life for ourselves and want for basically nothing. We own a big house, nice property, a bunch of toys, etc.

Every time we go to her parents place, her boomer mother makes some comment about "money not being everything"...
That’s code for “we want you to have kids so we can see them every week”. Ask how I know.

Easy for her to say, she barely worked and my Father in law made all the money and they have a nice paid off house, a cottage, etc.

When I explain that I am making that life for us and ir requires sacrifice, crickets....
Yup.

Current 338 polls. Looks like that last EKOS poll is reflected. CPC still riding high but three weeks of dropping in seat count. We’ll see how much of that is a reflection of what people are watching down south.

1724625930676.png

Omer Aziz is a lawyer, an author and a former foreign policy adviser for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government. In a recent opinion piece in the Globe and Mail he explained why he believes Prime Minister Trudeau must step aside:

----------​

Justin Trudeau must call a leadership race, before it’s too late​

Something is rotten in the state of the Liberal Party. The polls show the Liberals tumbling toward electoral defeat when the next election is called. So unpopular is Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that Canadians of all stripes and backgrounds seem prepared to deliver the Conservatives the House of Commons in a landslide. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that the fate of the Liberal Party itself is now at stake.

Let’s be honest: After almost a decade in power, Mr. Trudeau and the current Liberal leadership have run out of ideas. All the dynamism and energy are with the Conservatives. The anger today is singularly directed at Mr. Trudeau. This is not surprising. The Trudeau Liberals built their entire brand around the Prime Minister’s personal appeal; when Canadians soured on his integrity and effectiveness, they also soured on the Liberals. Should Mr. Trudeau decide to lead the Liberals into the next election, he will take the party down with him in what will likely be a generational defeat.

I say this as a Liberal, a former adviser in this current government, and a citizen: The moment of decision has arrived. Either we rush headfirst into electoral disaster, or we make a wise choice now. Otherwise, the Conservatives will decimate the Liberals and undo the entire liberal agenda. They will leave Liberals in ruins for years. The progress of the past few decades will be wiped out. It’s time for Mr. Trudeau to do the right thing for his party and country – and call a leadership race.

Mr. Trudeau has already been in office longer than a two-term U.S. president. If he wants to serve longer, when polls indicate that Canadians have lost faith in him, he needs to earn the backing of Liberals across the country. It’s now or never for Liberals to change course.

Under the Liberal Party constitution, the party leader cannot be removed unless there is a “triggering event” such as an electoral loss or incapacitation. Therefore, the only way for Mr. Trudeau to cede power now is if he voluntarily relinquishes it. This would be a democratic act, putting faith in the future and inviting newcomers to step up to carry the baton forward. If Mr. Trudeau believes he is still the best choice for Liberals – who have not had a say in the leadership since 2013 – he can seek the leadership again, but only in a fair and competitive race. Cabinet ministers and outsiders should also run and pitch Liberals on their vision for the future.

A leadership race now would only be to the advantage of the Liberals. It would show Canadians that Mr. Trudeau puts the country first and wants to give Liberals a voice in who should lead them. It would allow for a vigorous internal debate about what the party stands for and how to navigate the multiple crises Canada faces. It would welcome new party members to participate in the process and cast their ballots in a convention that would reinvigorate the party. Most importantly, it would show the public that the Liberal Party is listening to them – and is prepared to lead once again.

Such a leadership convention would also have the effect of draining media attention from the Conservatives for the duration of the race and blocking their momentum. The country would be focused on this contest of ideas. After an engrossing public race, the Liberals could reinvent themselves with fresh faces, new policies and a newagenda. The next election would suddenly become a competitive one.

In the United States, Democrats have shown that when a political party wants to move for change, it can do so. Joe Biden is the most powerful man on Earth and has wanted to be president his entire life; that he agreed not to seek re-election will define his legacy for all time. If the American President can stand down for the good of his country, then the Canadian Prime Minister can, at a minimum, give his party members a say in who should lead them.

Knowing something about Mr. Trudeau personally, I have no illusions about his desire to hold power. He is an intensely competitive person and believes that he can do the job better than anyone else. If his argument is correct, he should test it by allowing for a leadership race where Canadians will get to make their voices heard. Liberals should not be going into the next election half-tired, with half-baked ideas and half-expecting to lose. Liberals – and all Canadians – deserve better.

Ours is a pivotal moment in history. Democracies are backsliding; economic progress has been stifled. People are fed up – and rightly so. The Liberal Party can again be the party of tomorrow, offering hope for a better future, creating a rising tide that lifts all boats, winning the next decade – or it can continue on its current path and take the country down with it. The time for real change has arrived. Mr. Trudeau, the ball is in your court.

----------

I think he's right, the Liberal Party is, a the very least, "half-tired, with half-baked ideas and half-expecting to lose" the next election. But perhaps Prime Minister Trudeau cannot see the forest for the trees or perhaps his nature will not allow him to look.

The budget is likely due in the Spring. A well crafted budget can be a great plank in an election platform. It is also an automatic confidence issue.

A cannily crafted budget can back the NDP into a very uncomfortable corner and pull almost all the progressive vote into the Liberal fold.

A budget in late April followed by an intentionally lost confidence vote and election in early June is not out of the question.

Probably. It’s definitely now or never.

I still think the party mainstream want PMJT to eat this loss to more fully clean the slate.
Perhaps. If the party means his ministers and back benches then I'd agree.

If the party means the Laurentien Elite Cadre, he won't have a choice.

And that is the part I wonder about. Why haven't they tanked him yet?

Perhaps. If the party means his ministers and back benches then I'd agree.

If the party means the Laurentien Elite Cadre, he won't have a choice.

And that is the part I wonder about. Why haven't they tanked him yet?
I suspect because when he won the leadership he had the party rules changed to prevent a backroom revolt. Now they can only turf a leader if they're incapacitated, or lose an election.

Under the Liberal Party constitution, the party leader cannot be removed unless there is a “triggering event” such as an electoral loss or incapacitation. Therefore, the only way for Mr. Trudeau to cede power now is if he voluntarily relinquishes it.

I have been laughing all morning at this political announcement in the early newscast:

CTV Morning Live:

Justin Trudeau: I am not focusing on politics. I am focusing on the issues Canadians told me about all summer.
CTV Host, whispers: You are a politician.

The Prime Minister's new comment rings up there with when he said the budget will balance itself.

Back