• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tracking problems with the forum upgrade [Post here]

Mike, concur with response on efforts to date.

I particularly appreciate the white on green text.  Much easier to read than the old black on green.  My eyes thank you.  My optometrist doesn't.

Mike, as someone who is not a big fan of the whole "change" thing, I have only one thing to say at the moment.

During the withdrawl fom army.ca, I naturally had to check milnet.ca to see if I could get my fix in a different form... I noticed that while viewing a thread on milnet, it appears in the same green colour as army.ca normally would.... this is just to let you know, in the case that you were unaware.

Oddball

So much faster!

before what ever changes occurred, i found army.ca to be the slowest forum i frequent. Much better now :)

I also like the new green.

Just a small question,
why use a Release Candidate for production?

The forums fell faster even on this slow connection halfway around the world.

but hey, at least the forums work and I can start reading again.

Kirkhill said:
Mike, concur with response on efforts to date.

I particularly appreciate the white on green text.  Much easier to read than the old black on green.  My eyes thank you.  My optometrist doesn't.

ditto

May just be a fluke today but when posting, a lot of the buttons above the text box (bold, underline, url, etc) are not working.

Mike,

Under "Admin," the "Army.ca Subscription" info is empty.

Not sure if you're aware of this.

leroi

Thanks all... Some of these I knew about, some I didn't, so it's very helpful.

I've been knocking a few items off the list here and there... soon we'll get to the point where it's shrinking instead of growing. :)

turbonium, it's a valid question (about using an RC in production), and the answer is complicated. In part because I'm that kind of guy who can't sit still, in part because I knew the work required would be significant and wanted to get started, and in part because I saw an opportunity and took it. It's also a reasonable way to get fixes into the final build rather than waiting for the first maintenance release.

I have no doubt it will be painful at times, but I'm hoping the resulting benefits will be worth it.

Unfortunately, for everyone who noticed a speed improvement, I'm not convinced it's related... our biggest speed bottleneck is still the network connection, so any database or software improvements will probably be difficult to detect. :)

I can confirm the pages load a lot faster now. I'm sad to read it might not be related to the update tho.

Mike, will you be able to import the content of custom fields (moc, exp etc..) or we will have to do it manually?

Keep up the good work!  :)

Just wondering why in the user list it states things such as; Google, MSN, etc and with a number beside them.

I do not remember that being there, but correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Guessing they are what the statistics refer to as SPIDERS, whatever that is  ;D

Just PM'ed a couple of members, and was unable to address them both in one PM, but had to send two.  Looks like the option to cc and bcc are not available also.

Not a priority, but when I attach a file to a posting, the file name doesn't show up in the white rectangular box after I click it from "Browse".  When I post, though, the attachments are there.  When you can is OK, given your frantic workload - thanks.

Kebel,

I'm shooting for an automatic load of the old custom profile data... we still have it, I just have to link it. ;) Marshall, you're right about the searchbots, that's one of the new features... now we can tell when they're ganging up on us. George, there should be an "Add BCC" link just to the right of the PM "To" box. Clicking that will add a BCC field. To CC someone, just add them to the existing "To" box, comma separated.

Tony, you're right... and the field acts differently too! The text is there, just white on white. Clicking on the textbox opens the browse dialog again.

Not seeing those buttons.  May be the system I am on.

Smilies don't work for me either, so I can't make a frown.

George Wallace said:
Not seeing those buttons.  May be the system I am on.

Smilies don't work for me either, so I can't make a frown.

So you are not seeing the fol screen?

Ahhhh, right... It's the DIN web scrubbers at work again. On the old version I had to manually make some changes to allow PMs to work at all... looks like they work "better" out of the gate in this version, but some functionality is still blocked.

Is there a reason that profiles have been pared down to bare minimum info, or just a glitch?

Kat Stevens said:
Is there a reason that profiles have been pared down to bare minimum info, or just a glitch?

It is a new format.  If you look you will see that there are now tabs to access more.

NFLD Sapper said:
So you are not seeing the fol screen?

Nope.  Those extra buttons are missing.  I can see the Smilies/epicons but can not attach them.  I can only highlight one letter in the Post Box, so cutting and pasting don't work......I am back to using long hand...... ;-) 

Back