• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

Small communities are all the same, most without the extremes you had, but ALL had the neighbours who knew your business before you did!! Interesting commentary...but I see it really didn't hurt you.  ;D

:o wow, I stand corrected, but, there are some more things that I did not list. We have no cars, two shops, which basically have no aisle, the closest takeout is 3 hrs away, and until last year in May, our power came from two Cat generators. But, as I can see, I have it better then you did.

Michael Baker said:
:o wow, I stand corrected, but, there are some more things that I did not list. We have no cars, two shops, which basically have no aisle, the closest takeout is 3 hrs away, and until last year in May, our power came from two Cat generators. But, as I can see, I have it better then you did.

Townie!!!  :)

I forgot to mention.. How could I ever miss this one....CBC radio BINGO! Every Friday night, all the adults would be huddled around the radio with their bingo chips...calling in the bingo was hilarious on either the zillion party lines or the radio phones. The entertainment part would be the adults fighting over who got the line first....That I think has scarred me for life though... I get cold sweats and the shakes when I hear, "Under the B..."  They still play radio bingo up there.. sigh.. another generation lost...

Here's one for the 'survivors' have you ever tried to convince your kids that there was actually only two or three TV stations on the dial at one time, and one was French? (And that was in the cities.....)

Come to think of it, have you actually ever tried to convince your kids TV's once had dials....

cplcaldwell said:
have you actually ever tried to convince your kids TV's once had dials....
I never did believe my dad about that one, is it true?  ;D

My dad's favourite line to his grandkids was, "When I was your age, I had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the station."  *then we'd remind him that when we were kids, we didnt have a TV...

My kid however, grew up in the UK, so she now tells her kids, that when she was little, she only had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV...her peers think she was very deprived and have offered to pay for her therapy...

Now, I'm not as old as some people here, but I do distinctly remember two years we had not TV. During the late '80s my father was posted to Baden, all we had was CFNB to listen to. I always looked forward to the Air Farce.

211RadOp said:
Now, I'm not as old as some people here, but I do distinctly remember two years we had not TV. During the late '80s my father was posted to Baden, all we had was CFNB to listen to. I always looked forward to the Air Farce.

....and they were live on stage.

Being born in the UK in 1939 (Coventry) I thought Hitler and the Germans were after me personaly
I quickly changed my opinion when I realized that a lot more people were involved. But what was
said in the opening thread was so true, materially we had so little but what we had in spades was
imagination and freedom.I remember getting on a train with two of my friends and travelling 90 miles
to London and then going by underground to all the main railway terminals to collect locomotive
numbers (trainspotting) this at the age of 10,any parent today would panic just thinking about it
and rightly so,unfortunatly.The first TV I saw belong to one of my friends parents it had a 10 "
screen with a huge magnifying lens in front of it ,Tuesday afternoon all my friends were invited
to watch Victory at Sea it was a big thrill and I can still remember the theme music. Other things I
remember were swimming in polluted rivers,playing in bombed out buildings,and eating the most
awful food,an occupational hazard if you were born a Brit., but we had a proper childhood something
latter generations missed through no fault of their own or of their parents,it seems due to
the changes in our society such a chidhood is no longer possible.
                                              Regards

cplcaldwell said:
Here's one for the 'survivors' have you ever tried to convince your kids that there was actually only two or three TV stations on the dial at one time, and one was French? (And that was in the cities.....)

Come to think of it, have you actually ever tried to convince your kids TVs once had dials....

In 1988, my family joined me in Churchill (I had been there for a year already). Coincidentally, the massive forest fire season started at the same time, thus delaying all our possessions from being shipped up by rail, including the TV.

I had a small black and white one, which was fine by me, but my kids thought it sucked big time. After three weeks of watching CBC (the only station) on this TV, my 8 year old daughter jumped up, thoroughly disgusted with the whole situation and announced that "She would be glad when our real TV got here, at least it had more channels than this one!!" and stormed out of the living room.
;D

Danjanou,

you forgot "Bert the turtle" who informed all of us that the safest place in a nuclear attack was to hide under our desks. If I remember correctly did he not have a world war one helmet on ? And who can forget the black and white TV changing into a bull's eye pattern with a loud humming sound and the following words "we are interupting regular scheduled programming for this test of the emergency broadcast system, should this be a real emergency......................". Lastly, Walter Cronkite reporting on the lastest news from Vietnam will mother served the dinner meal.

Rotary dial phones.

Lawn mowers you had to push (you being "us kids").

Actually doing chores to earn our $1 allowance.

;D

I still have a push-mower.

It's the tree-hugger/considerate neighbour in me.  That and I have about 20'x1' of grass to mow.

Shamrock said:
I still have a push-mower.

It's the tree-hugger/considerate neighbour in me.  That and I have about 20'x1' of grass to mow.

Is that why you broke the site?

;D

Riding in the very back of a station wagon playing with my toy cars and looking at the cars behind us.

Skateboards made by attaching roller skates with metal wheels to a piece of wood.

Getting (and eating) home made treats for Halloween (still remember which house gave out candy apples and popcorn balls, yum)

Playing hockey with no visors and a hand me down helmet

I just turned in my push mower for a power one after 17 years.  I remember having to walk about 1 or 2 kms to the "convenience store" to get some stuff for supper.  Thru snow covered fields in a snow storm...and thought nothing of it!
Being an enterprising and shovelling driveways for the old couple across the street for $2!
Babysitting for $2 per night!!!
Walking over 4 km to school!
Having to work hard for your marks in school, and not being passed on with my classmates so my teenager sensibilities wouldn't be harmed.
Mom nver having to wonder or worry where we were in the summer so long as we came home for supper before nightfall.
I sternly believe that kids nowadays have it alot earier than some of us did, and it hard to tell them different because of thier whatever attitudes (that would've gotten you a smack in my house).

My $0.02  
Regards,

PS just wanted to add.  Who saw The Santa Clause 2 and some of the games that Tim Allen gave out at the school Christmas party?  Now those were interactive games that you played with other people!!!!

Back