• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 'What If Canada Gets Attacked' Superthread

Tess, will you take me to Marine Land?

I'm tempted to check out that petition just to see how they plan on getting 100-500k people (willingly) into this Corps.  :facepalm:

Conscript all Liberal voters!

...oh, wait...sorry.

Clearly the person writing the petition doesn't realize that the United Kingdom has a larger military than Canada with more defence spending and the Royal Marines still are only 7,420 strong with 970 reserve.

I think that if Canada were to increase the combat force numbers then we should focus on rebuilding the airborne regiment before making up some fancy marine corps that has never existed in our history.

The military needs both more funding and needs to be bigger. I think most people well agree with that.

pitdroid said:
The military needs both more funding and needs to be bigger. I think most people well agree with that.

I doubt "most" people would agree.

Only if you sign the petition to get Willy to come back for a show.... :blotto:  Oh wait, is he free, or dead, I can never remember.  Remember, our other allies have 'em.

dileas

tess

pitdroid said:
Why is that?

Because more money is not going to fix our problems and having a larger military comes with its own set of problems.

Regardless, in order to have a larger military, you would have to NEED a larger military. So why dont you tell us why we need a larger military ?

pitdroid said:
Why is that?

To increase the funding would mean you have to most likely increase taxes, and not to many Canadians would be happy with that.

I'm not sure about that Pitdroid.

I certainly felt that we needed to be larger and have more funding back when I was a private during the Chretien years.  But a lot has changed in between now and then.

We've gotten a lot more funding and every year we're getting bigger.

If our nation had the money to spend then fine.  But we need to consider the other things the government has to pay for.  Like healthcare, national infrastructure, policing etc.  I think we have a pretty good balance now.  But let's not look at the US as an example to follow.

Sure they have a 480 000 strong regular army, a 150 000 strong marine corps and all the rest of the active and reserve forces.  Not to mention some of the most advanced weapons on the planet.  But they're also trillions of dollars in debt.

dangerboy said:
To increase the funding would mean you have to most likely increase taxes, and not to many Canadians would be happy with that.

Or decrease the salary and benefits of every servicemember to offset the cost of more of us.

The US military is cool and all, but when I as a Cpl. make more per year than my buddy who is a US Army Captain then you have to wonder what is up.

The US may have a larger force but our troops can lead better lives in terms of supporting a family and such.  It makes a career with Canada's military a lot more appealing in the long run.

Well i suppose there getting enough funding now, and yes i agree that during the Chretien years funding wasn't that good, I guess i'm still thinking back in the 90's.

[/quote] It makes a career with Canada's military a lot more appealing in the long run.
[/quote]

Yes, but i know a lot of people who can't get in the military because there not recruiting many people.

Back