• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only ever read a few articles from the Atlantic, so offer no personal opinion about its general accuracy or political bias, but many of those commentators that I have come to trust do not hold it - or NYT and MSNBC - in high regard.

My preferred source for discussions about President Trump, and this matter in particular, is National Review Online. Several writers are lawyers, and not all are fans of their President, so several viewpoints are available in one source. The overiding opinion, from several articles that I have read, seems to be supportive of Attorney-General Barr.

From the Atlantic article quoted:

"This pair of mischaracterizations has the effect of transforming Trump into an innocent man falsely accused."

The legal standard is "innocent until proven guilty". No guilt seems to have been proven, and claims of "collusion" (not a crime, as "conspiracy" would be, if committed) have proven groundless. There has been some discussion regarding the ability to obstruct justice in a case where no crime can be proven. And vocalization by somebody falsely accused is certainly normal behaviour; there is no indication that, words aside, he actually took any unusual step to obstruct anything. Firing James Comey was well within his right, and, until he did so, Democrats were calling for his firing as his actions during the election supposedly cost Clinton her "win" (as did, according to her, many other things except for her crappy campaign and growing reputation for corruption).

The Mueller witch hunt (which completely ignored more credible claims of true crimes committed by the Democrats) was allowed to continue, and the final report was released with the minimal level of redaction necessary to meet legal requirements. That displayed an unprecedented level of transparency, as such documents are (usually, at least) never released.

"Barr amplifies this transformation with his third layer of misrepresentation: his adoption of Trump’s “spying” narrative, which states that there was something improper about the FBI’s scrutiny of campaign figures who had bizarre contacts with Russian-government officials or intermediaries. Barr has not specified precisely what he believes here, but yesterday’s Senate hearing was the second congressional hearing at which he implied darkly that the FBI leadership under James Comey had engaged in some kind of improper surveillance of the Trump campaign. In other words, not only is the president an innocent man falsely accused, but he’s now the victim of “spying on a political campaign” - as Barr put it a few weeks ago - by a biased cabal running the FBI."

There certainly seems to be ample evidence to back up the "spying" narrative, and I eagerly await the investigations regarding that and the coverups of Clinton/Democrat activities, including, but not limited to, Clinton Foundation donations/briberies, Uranium One, The Steele Dossier (based upon faulty/made-up claims of Trumpian misbehaviour concocted by Russians and a former British intelligent agent - see "Collusion" with foreign agents, including Russians) which was used to kick off various investigations, and absolutely gross e-mail security violations.

I could never believe any claims that Russia had a preferrence for Donald Trump winning, after the Clintons had, essentially, been bought and paid for, and Obama had soft-pedalled the Russian threat. Obama was caught, while unknowingly on an open microphone, promising Dmitri Medvedev that he would have "more flexibility" to make concessions to Russia after his re-election, and, later, when Mitt Romney referred to Russia as "The number one geopolitical foe", retorted that "The 1980s are now calling and they want their foreign policy back". Russians were good until Donald Trump won, at which point they became an excuse for Clinton losing and a means of obstructing the lawfully-elected President.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/clinton-russia-collusion-evidence/

Russian Collusion, Clinton $tyle

By Deroy Murdock March 27, 2018 10:51 AM

In contrast, Team Mueller studiously ignores something more conspicuous than the iridescent onion domes atop Red Square’s St. Basil’s Cathedral: Private interests that closed deals with Vladimir Putin and his agents - thanks to then–secretary of state Hillary Clinton’s public favors - gave the Clinton Foundation between $152 million and $173 million.

While this institution performed some charitable work, it also was the Clintons’ de facto slush fund. It operated a veritable full-employment program for the courtiers in Hillary’s “government in waiting” during the Obama years and financed much of the Clintons’ global travels. Donations to the Clinton Foundation were, in essence, gift-wrapped presents for the Clintons.

Hillary’s March 2009 button-pushing “Russian reset” ceremony with Moscow’s foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, triggered this particular bonanza. Hillary captured its essence in March 2010 when she told former Soviet propagandist Vladimir Pozner on First Channel TV: “Our goal is to help strengthen Russia.”

FJAG said:
I find Conrad's shrieking to be only slightly left of Alex Jones's conspiracy tripe. More articulate, perhaps, but no more persuasive.

He was in today's news,

Trump grants full pardon to former media baron Conrad Black
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/conrad-black-pardon-trump-1.5137985
Black was convicted in 2007 of fraud and obstruction of justice

You guys need to start reading Gateway Pundit ,as I do. The Atlantic I consider to be left leaning. National review has lost their mind in their hatred of Trump. I also like Legal Insurrection for anything in the news about the law. Its run by a Harvard professor. With 22-23 Democrats running it appears that Biden has sucked all the oxygen from the room. But I wonder if he wants to be President , if he sticks it out it may be time to get the popcorn going. It will be entertaining.

tomahawk6 said:
You guys need to start reading Gateway Pundit ,as I do.

For reference to the discussion,

The Gateway Pundit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateway_Pundit#False_stories_and_conspiracy_theories

The Gateway Pundit
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

tomahawk6 said:
You guys need to start reading Gateway Pundit ,as I do. The Atlantic I consider to be left leaning.

The Gateway Pundit:  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/
QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

Overall, we rate The Gateway Pundit  Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracies and numerous instances of publishing false (fake) news.
The Atlantic:  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-atlantic/
LEFT-CENTER BIAS

Overall, we rate The Atlantic  Left-Center Biased due to editorial position and High for factual reporting based on excellent sourcing of information.
      Yep, seems about right. 

Personally, (since we're giving recommendations), try The Economist.  Subscriptions are inexpensive, articles tend not to be lengthy, and the e-version analyses are quite timely.
The Economist:  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-economist/
LEAST BIASED

Overall, we rate The Economist  Least Biased based on balanced reporting and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.

Mind you, I know quite a few people who read widely (yes, across  ideological biases  :o ) in order to develop informed opinions;  of course, that requires an interest in TRUTH, which isn't always found on a soapbox or behind a pulpit.

I prefer going to Milnews.ca as my source of unbiased media reporting and Mariomike as my search engine  ;D

Thank-you. When strangers on the internet tell me what I "need" to read, I prefer to do a little fact-checking first.

Journeyman said:

Mind you, I know quite a few people who read widely (yes, across  ideological biases  :o ) in order to develop informed opinions;  of course, that requires an interest in TRUTH, which isn't always found on a soapbox or behind a pulpit.

I agree.  And with that, I am very much looking forward to AG Barr's tenure, and following US Attorney John Durham's probe.  I believe some of the media is going to get bit in the end. 

mariomike said:
Thank-you. When strangers on the internet tell me what I "need" to read, I prefer to do a little fact-checking first.

Don't worry, the Government is going to cover that for you.

Federal judge blocks Trump from using Defense funds for parts of border wall
By Priscilla Alvarez, CNN

Washington (CNN)A federal judge on Friday night blocked President Donald Trump from tapping into Defense Department funds to build parts of his US-Mexico border wall.

In a 56-page ruling, Judge Haywood Gilliam, a Barack Obama appointee in the Northern District of California, blocked the administration from moving forward with specific projects in Texas and Arizona, saying he couldn't disburse the funds without congressional approval.

Although Friday's ruling does not prevent the Trump administration from using funds from other sources to build the projects, it's a setback for the President on a signature agenda item that has frequently been thwarted by Democrats in Congress.

"The position that when Congress declines the Executive's request to appropriate funds, the Executive nonetheless may simply find a way to spend those funds 'without Congress' does not square with fundamental separation of powers principles dating back to the earliest days of our Republic," Gilliam writes.

He added, "because the Court has found that Plaintiffs are likely to show that Defendants' actions exceeded their statutory authority, and that irreparable harm will result from those actions, a preliminary injunction must issue pending a resolution of the merits of the case." ...

See rest of article here:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/24/politics/federal-judge-trump-border-wall/index.html

and here:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-temporarily-blocks-trumps-border-wall-construction-plans

:cheers:

At least one North American country has people willing to stop their Top Cat from pissing Other People's Money up against the wall, either literally or figuratively.

tomahawk6 said:
The Supreme Court will overrule these lower court democrat judges.

Is this a reasoned legal analysis or are you just sure that the GOP has finally stacked the Supreme Court sufficiently?

:whistle:

FJAG said:
Federal judge blocks Trump from using Defense funds for parts of border wall

Maybe the Mexican taxpayers will pay for it?

Fox News

I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me. Believe me. And I'll build it very inexpensively. I'll build a great, great wall on our southern border and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.
https://insider.foxnews.com/2015/06/16/watch-highlights-donald-trumps-2016-announcement-ill-build-border-wall-and-mexico-will

FJAG said:
Is this a reasoned legal analysis or are you just sure that the GOP has finally stacked the Supreme Court sufficiently?

I would prefer to say that the supreme court has been unstacked to the point that reasonable decisions based upon law and not upon personal preferences can finally be rendered.  It all depends upon your point of view.

YZT580 said:
I would prefer to say that the supreme court has been unstacked to the point that reasonable decisions based upon law and not upon personal preferences can finally be rendered. It all depends upon your point of view.

Considering the Republicans lost the popular vote in every presidential election, except one, since the 1980's, they have done a pretty good job of stacking / unstacking, if you prefer, the Supreme Court.

As you say, "It all depends upon your point of view."

Five of the Justices, including the Chief, were appointed by a Republican president.

Four of the Justices were appointed by a Democratic president.

Yes, I understand the popular vote does not determine who gets in. But, as Brihard explained,

Brihard said:
It’s still a valuable gauge of political sentiment, particularly given the rather horrendous gerrymandering many districts have been subjected to. While popular vote does not directly turn into seats controlled, it offers some insight into fundraising, voter turnout, and hence electoral prospects, which in turn are basically blood and oxygen to representatives.

Speaking of gerrymandering and the Supreme Court,

Politico

05/24/2019

Supreme Court blocks gerrymandering rulings in Michigan and Ohio
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/24/supreme-court-blocks-gerrymandering-michigan-ohio-1344369

If interested, read about REDMAP. Described as, "Gerrymandering on steroids."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REDMAP
"The effects of REDMAP came about in the 2012 election, in which the Republicans were able to secure several districts and retain control of the United States House of Representatives by a 33-seat margin, despite Democratic candidates having had more of the general vote."

FJAG said:

Trump has been able to replace some very liberal judges with conservatives. With Justice Roberts being able to side with the liberals more often than not if its a close vote and he is the decider it makes me uneasy. The Judges at all levels are supposed to be apolitical but the ones that are ruling against Trump were selected by Obama generally.

tomahawk6 said:
Trump has been able to replace some very liberal judges with conservatives. With Justice Roberts being able to side with the liberals more often than not if its a close vote and he is the decider it makes me uneasy. The Judges at all levels are supposed to be apolitical but the ones that are ruling against Trump were selected by Obama generally.

Out of curiosity, are you open to the possibility that trying to do an end run around Congress on a couple billion dollars of spending might simply and actually be illegal? There’s a constitutional separation of powers for a reason, and as president he’s sworn to uphold that, not usurp it. I won’t even bother getting into why it would be a horrendous precedent to set. Quite simply, the executive gets to do some things, Congress gets to do others, and each has certain ability to say no to the other. He’s trying to do something he just isn’t allowed to do, and that’s why he lost this in court.

Hopefully the Supreme Court aren’t simply partisan puppets and uphold this separation of powers. It’s important for the health of America that excesses in any branch of government be curbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back