• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Ten Commandments of RMS Clerks

Celticgirl

Inactive
Reaction score
I don't take any credit for this one, but thought it was funny...RMS clerks in particular should enjoy it.  ;D

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF RMS CLERKS

In these times of downsizing, trade-merging and doing more with less, resulting in unrealistic expectations customers place on clerks, it's time for a fresh set of commandments. I'd love to see these etched into stone tablets, one for each which we could beat over the heads of customers breaking them.

1) I AM THE CLERK HELPING YOU, THE ONE AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.

I don't care who helped you before and gave you benefits you weren't entitled to. Obviously you don't either, as you can't remember their name, rank or provide a general description of them, except they were a clerk. Get the gender right at least. They aren't here to help you now, I AM.

2) YOU SHALL MENTION NO OTHER FORMS OF PAYMENT BEFORE ME.

My job (and that of my fellow-scribes) is to get you the most benefits you are entitled to. However, it is cost-effective and more time effective to pay you through a Direct Funds Transfer (DFT) on your claim and send the money right to your bank account. I don't care that you want that claim paid out in cash, because you don't want your old lady/man to know about your party money. Life sucks, get a helmet.

3) YOU SHALL NOT CONSIDER YOURSELF AN IDOL, GOD, DEITY OR OTHER ELEVATED BEING.

You are not infallible. Nowhere in any applicable orders and/or regulations does it state "The Customer Is Always Right." Just because you "know" a guy at another base or unit getting a higher rate of Separation Expense than you doesn't make it true. A favored response to these ignorant assholes is to call their damn bluff: "Well then, please provide the applicable reference or written authority, so I'll know for next time." This shuts them up fast. Threatening to file a formal complaint with my chain of command is no threat at all, because if you're playing that card I'm already annoyed with you and want you to go away.

4) YOU SHALL NOT MAKE WRONGFUL USE OF THE NAME OF THE COMMANDING OFFICER, MY BOSS, YOUR BOSS.

You think I'm intimidated by you name-dropping some high ranking individual, or the fact you are a high-ranking individual? I know high-ranking people too. I talk to a lot more of them than you do. I am certain that they would rather keep me around than you. If it's a decision I know they can make but I can't, I'll call them for you. If you're asking the impossible, your calling upon a high authority will only result in all our time being wasted, the higher authority annoyed, and I'll tell you as much.

5) REMEMBER THE ORDERLY ROOM HOURS, AND KEEP THEM HOLY.

Don't be banging on the doors thirty minutes before we open, there's no clerks logged into the computer to check on your pay or to look something up for you. Unless it is an emergency, as decided by the Chief Clerk or CO, don't expect to be let in five minutes past closing, we're trying to clean up our backlog and figure out complicated shit to benefit you without a million interruptions. As for all of you piss-poor planners who make your screw-ups our emergency and hassle us for results incessantly and wonder when we don't respond immediately, Take the hint! Fail to plan, plan to fail. Give more advance notice. Provide what information is required and GTFO.

6) HONOR WRITTEN POLICIES AND DIRECTIVES.

Stop demanding that we research a benefit or directive for you, then argue and bitch that it was interpreted wrong if what we find is not what you like. This includes claim entitlements, tax deductions off of certain benefits. DO NOT threaten to go to a higher authority. We already did that when we sent a query to the Director of Benefits Compensation Administration (DCBA) and they informed us in proper military lingo that you can go and rub a lamp, and dream of all your wishes coming true.

7) YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT POWER-TRIPPING.

We are a place that provides a service and that service is clerical. We are not lawyers, bankers or Notaries. There are reasons you have to pay for those services. Our objective is not to provide you with every opportunity to rake in as much money as you can during the course of your career, and turn every Temporary Duty (TD) into a profit making venture for yourself. If you incur long-distance charges because you had to phone from Vancouver to a clerk in Chilliwack regarding a question about your pay, you are not entitled to claim these long-distance charges as work expenses. There is no sense in appealing for sympathy. That is in the dictionary between "Shit" and "Syphilis."  Pay that 30-cent long distance charge, you cheap bastard.

8 ) YOU SHALL NOT STEAL.

I can't believe it! This one's totally unaltered from the original. Fraud isn't smart; it's completely boneheaded, resulting in more red tape bureaucracy to prevent idiots like you from committing more fraud in the future. When you're caught, someone may decide to charge you, convene a summary trial or court martial. Fellow CF members and civilian employees, in addition to the media will have a field day at your expense.

9) YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THE CLERKS.

Do not claim you were treated rudely just because we told you "no." Do not make up lies about how you were ill-treated. The chain of command knows better... after all, they work with us every day. If you screw up and did not follow instructions or gave the clerk the wrong ones, do not blame the clerk. We keep written and electronic records. If we screw up, we admit it and fix the problem.

10) YOU SHALL NOT COVET ANOTHER'S EMPLOYEE'S OR CUSTOMER'S BENEFITS.

Everyone's benefits are calculated based on their rank, incentive, trade and what ever allowances they are entitled to. You may not get Post Living Differential (PLD) Allowance. It's not as good of a perk as you think. It is a taxable benefit, which means you have more taxable income to declare at the end of the year. You already get free medical, dental, travel benefits and premiums for your family are subsidized. Work for an employer in the private sector and see how bad off you weren't. Not many employers can care less if you are transferred due to work reasons and are far away from your family and never see them again.

And all good reasons why the clerk at 1 Line Tp often was awarded 'Soldier of the year'

;D

How about some that provide some guidance to the clerks...after all the commandments came from higher (not to indicate I am higher, but clerks are no higher than other trades).

-You shall contact DCBA when the member requests it unless you have a previous direction from DCBA that relates to an identical query.

-You shall act professionally.  Do not ignore people that are standing at the counter so you can talk about the party last night.  That's what the smoking area is for.

-You shall execute policy, not create it.

-You shall take into account the fact that the inquiring member may have researched their query so don't treat them like an idiot.

-You shall follow-up with members when you tell them you will.

While there are still good clerks out there, the doing more with less whine you express in the beginning has resulted in a lot of bad clerks being promoted well beyond their competency level which has resulted in the silliness you posted.

<Married to a clerk for 16 years and she thinks most clerks are crap at their job and should get off their high horses>

"Thou shall treat other member's pay as if it were your own"

'Thou shalt realize that just because you are on Class B and don't have to worry about a regular paycheque,  that Class A pay is not important'

'Thou shalt realize that the CF is not a personal travel agency'

I have been fortunate to have had some solid clerks (and even got a chance to work as one for three months - wow....)

Thou shalt take immediate action to recover monies from a member when the member points out your mistake.  ::)

Yep, got paid some SE for Jan that I wasn't entitled to.  Pointed it out to the IR clerks in March.  Nothing done yet........

PMedMoe said:
Thou shalt take immediate action to recover monies from a member when the member points out your mistake.  ::)

Yep, got paid some SE for Jan that I wasn't entitled to.  Pointed it out to the IR clerks in March.  Nothing done yet........

But, but......Celtic Girl said:

Celticgirl said:
If we screw up, we admit it and fix the problem.

Yeah, right.

Oh, what's even better is that they asked me for proof that I was on leave and TD in January......    :not-again:

I'd not recommend waving those "Commandments" around in front of non-Clerks. Think red cape and bull.

AmmoTech90 said:
Do not ignore people that are standing at the counter so you can talk about the party last night.

Ignoring people standing at a counter is the height of rudeness.

I do not mind waiting for service, as long as my presence has been acknowledged. A simple "We'll be with you in a moment, sir" will suffice.

Manners are important. And customers should be served with the same high standard of manners regardless of rank. A Private deserves no less service than the CDS.

Another one for clerks:

You are there to support us, not the other way around. If i don't have time to come a re-do a form that you lost because i'm going flying, you're just going to have to sit there and stew.

I am sure other trades have just as many bad apples.  However, I am a 28 year Reg Force clerk so I am not qualified to comment on the other trades. 

But as a clerk I can comment on mine.  Yes the trade has problems.  Mainly amalgamation, lack of experienced personnel who can teach,  promotions that come far too quickly, just to name a few.

So instead of whining about bad service, talk to the clerk and point out their shortcomings in a polite manner, if you have the rank.  If not talk with their supervisor or go through your own chain.  The only way to make a better trades person is to educate them.

On the other hand, sometimes the customer can be their own worst enemy.       

Celticgirl said:

Don't be banging on the doors thirty minutes before we open, there's no clerks logged into the computer to check on your pay or to look something up for you. Unless it is an emergency, as decided by the Chief Clerk or CO, don't expect to be let in five minutes past closing, we're trying to clean up our backlog and figure out complicated shit to benefit you without a million interruptions. As for all of you piss-poor planners who make your screw-ups our emergency and hassle us for results incessantly and wonder when we don't respond immediately, Take the hint! Fail to plan, plan to fail. Give more advance notice. Provide what information is required and GTFO.

This one pisses me off.
Members of the CF are paid 24/7.  Not all of us have the luxury of a 9:30 to 1600 job.
Maybe we are going in 5 minutes past closing because our call sign just got IEDs outside the wire and we're leaving for HLTA the next day.
Some of OUR work days are 168 hours long.  What ever asshole came up with THIS comment didn't leave the wire.

SGT-RMSCLK said:
On the other hand, sometimes the customer can be their own worst enemy.

Agreed, and I fully sympathize with those who have to put up with them.

I have spoken to a few supervisors in the past. I have not had to do so often, though.

ObedientiaZelum said:
What ever asshole came up with THIS comment didn't leave the wire.

Do we really need to start this crap again?  ::)

Pretty sure they meant in a non-operational setting...... 

PMedMoe said:

Even non-operational, all manner of cf members from snake eating  infanteers to germ hunting p-meds (wink) keep non standard hours. It's not an "I left the wire I'm more important than everyone else" mind set but one that recognizes cf members don't just work 8 to 4.

If Pte smith bites his guts all day and his CoC only released him at 15:55 and he how's up at your counter at 16:09 sending him packing sans help is a dick move.

We should treat everything as if we are operational.

Celticgirl said:

Don't be banging on the doors thirty minutes before we open, there's no clerks logged into the computer to check on your pay or to look something up for you. Unless it is an emergency, as decided by the Chief Clerk or CO, don't expect to be let in five minutes past closing, we're trying to clean up our backlog and figure out complicated crap to benefit you without a million interruptions. As for all of you piss-poor planners who make your screw-ups our emergency and hassle us for results incessantly and wonder when we don't respond immediately, Take the hint! Fail to plan, plan to fail. Give more advance notice. Provide what information is required and GTFO.

This one bothers me greatly. 

1.  I was at the Airport and ran into some problems with my booking.  It was closing on flight time, and I phoned my CC whom I knew was in the office at 0755 hrs (She arrives at 0700 to 0730 hrs daily).  I phoned all four numbers in the OR and she refused to pick up.  She also refuses to pick up during lunch while she sits at her desk.  She has no problems with leaving early though. 

2.  At the other end of the spectrum is the work-a-holic who phoned me at 0700 hrs on a Fri as I was leaving my house for my last day at the Regiment prior to a departure on Mon morning for Tour, to tell me I am not going.  Spent the whole day turning my Telephone, Cable, Power, etc. back on, and phoning Trenton who were loading my UAB on the plane at the moment I called. 

Respect your hours!.......It works both ways.....and we are not big Banks who have 'Banker's Hours'.........................Sorry.  Even the Banks have caught on to Customer Service.    Don't get me going on Clothing Stores.

Celticgirl said:
2) YOU SHALL MENTION NO OTHER FORMS OF PAYMENT BEFORE ME.
However, it is cost-effective and more time effective to pay you through a Direct Funds Transfer (DFT) on your claim and send the money right to your bank account.

Yup, always love seeing my "advance" deposited in my account, the day i return home.......lots of help that is.

4) YOU SHALL NOT MAKE WRONGFUL USE OF THE NAME OF THE COMMANDING OFFICER, MY BOSS, YOUR BOSS.

I know high-ranking people too. I talk to a lot more of them than you do. 

You want to bet on that ?

I am certain that they would rather keep me around than you.

Not the least bit pretentious. I'm sure clerks know how to fly airplanes, drive tanks and fire artillery guns ( you know, a unit's actual purpose). I'm quite confident that my CO will keep me around no matter what you say.

PMedMoe said:

Best example I can think of from my personal experience is spending 16 days in the field, doing IDCC. Get back on a Friday afternoon, and need to get some paper work done. Its around 13:30 when I arrive at the BOR counter, 3 clerks at their desks doing clerky things and am completely ignored for about 5 mins. Not being a total prick, and understanding they can't just drop everything when someone walks up to the counter I give them that 5 mins. I then say hello, thinking its possible they just didn't see me. I am immediately told by one of them that they are finishing up because they only work half days on Friday and I need to come back on Monday and that maybe I should think about cleaning myself up before I come back. For you non-Combat Arms trades, 16 days in the field usually means you smell like shit. Being a Pte at the time, I just sorta walked away.

Now I am fully on board with people getting half days, especially since the battalion was DAGing at the time and the clerks were probably working very hard. With that in mind, even if you've worked 12 hours a day for the last month or so, you have not put in as many hours as I have by even a long shot cause while you're doing the paper work, even when I am not doing things like IDCC, I am doing Ex Royal Gun Fighter, etc to get all the "checks in boxes" for my work up training.

I've noticed the attitude on this board being that 'everyone works hard, Infantry aren't special'. Sure, its true that everyone works hard and deserves some time off. The difference being in the Infantry, your time off comes after ALL work is done. Not when you feel like taking some time.

My little mini-rant I guess, but the attitude of some members of this board really highlights the massive disparity between field soldiers, and garrison troops. I could also give examples of foolishness like techs taking a day off so we need to wait for equipment replacements/repairs "because they put in a lot of hours this month" in Afghanistan.

I just meant the actual "outside the wire" comment.  Geez, people, don't get your knickers in a knot.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
I just meant the actual "outside the wire" comment.  Geez, people, don't get your knickers in a knot.  ::)

The "outside the wire" comment was probably pretty accurate.

Back