• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Seal Hunt Mega-Thread

Imbeault said:
Anyone actually try seal meat? The ribs actually ain't too bad fried up with some onion and salt and pepper. Little rich though but doesn't taste too fishy  ;).

I eat this alot. I mean every couple of months or so. Frozen. Or seal "blubber". Yes, people ask the question " since you're eskimo, you eat seal blubber.?"

As long as the seals aren't tortured, then who cares?

First time I had it last spring it was an experience. My relatives neglected to tell me it would have a laxative effect because it was foreign to my diet until after I had eaten it ;D

Imbeault said:
I think global warming is more of a threat to the seal population then the annual hunt.

- Global warming?  It's cyclic - that's how 'Greenland' got it's name.  The dinosoars became extinct - maybe it's time for the seals.

- If you contact PETA, you can ask for some of their 'stickers'.  They make good target patches when you zero your hunting rifles, and it costs them money to mail them to you.

Everybody wins!

IrishCanuck said:
Save the fish stocks.

Or else all the cute little seals and whales will die anyway.

Nooo! We must not allow humans to control a population of animals by quickly and relatively painlessly killing them. Instead we must let the population outgrow its habitat and food supply. This will cause them to die a slow and painful death. What's better than the natural way? </sarcasm>

Frederik G said:
You think you had it bad? A vegan chick made me sit through a DVD about animal abuse and all that (damn PETA..).

Is there any length that a guy won't go to in the interest of his lower member?  Man, are we all predictable or what?  ;D

Scientists with the International Fund for Animal Welfare, IFAW, which has its headquarters in Massachusetts, have been issuing increasingly bleak reports from the areas where the hunt traditionally begins each March... The alarm has similarly been sounded by the Human Society of the United States.

The two organisations have deployed experts to the region over recent days, both on the water and flying in helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, ...

Important yes, but are we not missing the most visible face of the protest from last year's hunt.  Maybe they have an equally important task at hand now, though.  Is it not an important public and humanitarian duty to dance alongside others of similar illustrious fame to ensure that the highest standards of reality TV are upheld.

Now, if they had only postponed the start of the hunt until the coming Sunday (Apr 8 ) I could have made a comment about Easter Seals.

S_Baker said:
Another update to the seal hunt - including global warming impacts ::)

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/climate_change/article2412773.ece

Okay, what do they want?  Leave them alone to drown or let them get clubbed good 'n' quick?  Man, these guys just can't make up their minds! 
Plus, I thought that seals could, you know, like, swim?  At least the one at Marineland that I saw could. 
Maybe the seal hunters could just club the ones that are drowning?  Kind of like bobbing for apples? 

Plus, I thought that seals could, you know, like, swim?
Not the pups, they are born on the ice and don't go in the water for about the first 3-4 weeks and even then they are not initially great swimmers. 

blackadder1916 said:
Not the pups, they are born on the ice and don't go in the water for about the first 3-4 weeks and even then they are not initially great swimmers. 

Well, then too bad for them ;)
Evolve or die!
Being on top of the food chain kicks ass  :P

blackadder1916 said:

I have to disagree. They all swim quite well... in an ocean of onions and gravey! :dontpanic:

"MPs unite, taste seal meat to defy EU ban: Canadian politicians gathered Wednesday for a seal-tasting celebration in defiance of foreign critics. Members of different parties got together on Parliament Hill in defence of the country’s much-maligned seal hunt.":
http://www.ottawasun.com/news/canada/2009/12/02/12010366.html

mariomike said:
"MPs unite, taste seal meat to defy EU ban: Canadian politicians gathered Wednesday for a seal-tasting celebration in defiance of foreign critics. Members of different parties got together on Parliament Hill in defence of the country’s much-maligned seal hunt.":
http://www.ottawasun.com/news/canada/2009/12/02/12010366.html

Looks like Canadian parliamentarians are in the news again for eating seal meat.

Seal 'stunt' akin to 'gastronomic cruelty': IFAW

Canadian parliamentarians are engaged in "gastronomic cruelty" by heading to the fine dining tables of Parliament Hill's exclusive restaurant Wednesday to show solidarity with Canada's embattled sealing industry, says an anti-sealing lobby group.

Liberal Senator Celine Hervieux-Payette is hosting a lunch for 30 MPs and senators from all four parties who will feast on "double smoked bacon-wrapped seal loin" along with a "medley of organic beets, carrots and turnips," a "port reduction" and "Yukon gold potato pave."

The International Fund for Animal Welfare's Brussels office attacked not just the seal hunt, but also the very idea that seal meat could be the central part of a gourmet meal.

"The fact that the meat is only being consumed for political purposes, and that it needs to be wrapped in double smoked bacon to kill the taste, clearly demonstrates that it is not particularly palatable," the IFAW said in a news release.

More on link

I wonder if the IFAW eats liver?  It, too, is not particularly palatable, IMHO.  :-X

PMedMoe said:
The International Fund for Animal Welfare's Brussels office attacked not just the seal hunt, but also the very idea that seal meat could be the central part of a gourmet meal.

"The fact that the meat is only being consumed for political purposes, and that it needs to be wrapped in double smoked bacon to kill the taste, clearly demonstrates that it is not particularly palatable," the IFAW said in a news release.

Harsh critisism ;) from a country who's gastronomical claim to fame consists of sliced potatoes, deep fried in lard and the friggin' waffle ::)

PMedMoe said:
]and that it needs to be wrapped in double smoked bacon to kill the taste, clearly demonstrates that it is not particularly palatable

No, he's right.  So I just opened my fridge and chucked out all my filet mignon's I was going to have for supper.

Moron :clown:

On CGN, people were noting that in older pictures sealers were using Sniders and Martini-Henery's in the hunt.

I changed my opinion, and went vegetarian. Only eat sealmeat if ur on the brink of death. It's dirty filthy stank. :nod:

Miss Hydro said:
I changed my opinion, and went vegetarian. Only eat sealmeat if ur on the brink of death. It's dirty filthy stank. :nod:

Welcome back Miss JDro --- I didn't even need to look at your profile to realize it was you. The last three words of your post yelled out to me. Funny, I didn't see your post in the "User Name Change" thread; am I just blind?

Seal meat rocks!! I actually enjoyed it immensly ... and the whale too. Ostrich is the very best. Zebra, gemsbok, springbok (sorry to all you RCDs out there  :o)... all good. But, deer & moose do nothing for me.

Bear was good though I've only had it once. I HATE rabbit.

Gimme my meat & gimme my potatos --- I'm good with that.

ArmyVern said:
Welcome back Miss JDro --- I didn't even need to look at your profile to realize it was you. The last three words of your post yelled out to me. Funny, I didn't see your post in the "User Name Change" thread; am I just blind?

No, you are not.

Miss JDro....first post in exactly one year under a new persona.

Please go to the Admin section and start a "User Name Change" thread so the rest of the membership can know who you are.

Miss Hydro said:

So when have you eaten seal?

Regards

Back