• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

I am perfectly comfortable with him rotting in a US jail.....we owe him nothing

I honestly feel a bit sorry for him...his father led him into a bad situation, brainwashed him, and then unleashed him on trained killers who, fortunately for the boy, saved his life.

That being said, he needs to be held in custody. He can't be released without some form of rehabilitation, so he needs to be convicted of something. Then, the best he can hope for is that Canada asks for him to be transferred as a prisoner into our penal system, where he can be given the treatment he needs.

The blame rests solely on the shoulders of his mother and father. If anything, I'd arrest his mother for child abuse, and maybe treason.

Thanks, all, for video links - here's one more, from the defence counsel:
http://98.130.220.175/

This is stuff that really boils my blood.  The kid was fighting Americans, and I'm pretty confident would have fought us too had we been there.  The west are "infidels" and they will kill any of us just as happily as an American.  Now that he's been caught he expects Canada to do something for him?  Piss on that.

I can guarantee you this though.  With the time he's spent in gitmo letting feelings and hate fester.  IF he is for whatever reason released, you can be damn sure he's heading right back to the fight again.

Whoa lets not jump to conclusions until all the facts are out....

Just kidding

Having yet to see the vid my twisted little mind is imagining a whirl of visuals:

(1)  A CSIS agent, dressed in jackboots and a black tunic, saying " Ve haf vays of,  shall we zay, persvading you.",

(2) Marathon Man's Sir Laurence Olivier holding a dental drill and asking Dustin Hoffman "Is it safe?",

(3) PM Taliban Jack awarding  poor, misunderstood, and angelic little Omar $10 Million and an Order of Canada.

tomahawk6 said:
Al Khadar being treated in the field by US medics.

khadr.jpg

Gross.

I wonder if they used quick clot.
*I* Would have used quick clot.

Neill McKay said:
So.... anyone else have any interest in due process here, or am I the only one?

I agree....let him have his day in a court of the country of whom he shot and killed a member of their military....his aggression was against them, let them try him...

Neill McKay said:
So.... anyone else have any interest in due process here, or am I the only one?
Nope, you're pretty much the only one.

He fought, intentionally or otherwise, on the side of a terrorist organization. He did so in a country that was not Canada.

All his lawyers are trying to do is to pull heart strings to get a change in political mindset here. They are not interested in Justice either.

As far as I am concerned, he can sit in Gitmo for 15-20 years....then IF he is lucky, Canada will then bring him home and put him in to Kingston pen for TREASON for the rest of his life as well.

GAP said:
I agree....let him have his day in a court of the country of whom he shot and killed a member of their military....his aggression was against them, let them try him...

Suits me.  My concern is not that he might face the US justice system, but rather that he's been in prison for six years without yet having done so.

Well, he's getting his court time now...

You have to remember, the precendents in this case are different. He's not exactly a POW, nor is he a simple criminal. It's taken all this time for the United States Supreme Court and the other components of the judiciary to figure it out (although I totally disagree with their extension of habeas corpus to aliens).

Most of these guys should be thankful the US didn't just decide to shut Gitmo down, inform the respective governments of the inmates, and present them to all sort of sketchy law enforcement/intelligence agencies. They are getting a fair shake, if not a slow one.

North Star said:
Most of these guys should be thankful the US didn't just decide to shut Gitmo down, inform the respective governments of the inmates, and present them to all sort of sketchy law enforcement/intelligence agencies. They are getting a fair shake, if not a slow one.

Ya or worse yet, have been left in Afghanistan to be tried by the new Afghani judicial system. But like you said theres no precedent. Hes almost like a stateless individual.

However I do think a 6 year wait for a secret military tribunal is somewhat ridiculous. 6 years in limbo aside. If theres no transparency in the process then accountability is moot. We wouldn't stand for it, if it was in Canada, why should our ideals be different just because its another part of the world. Hes still a human being after all.

abo said:
Ya or worse yet, have been left in Afghanistan to be tried by the new Afghani judicial system. But like you said theres no precedent. Hes almost like a stateless individual.

However I do think a 6 year wait for a secret military tribunal is somewhat ridiculous. 6 years in limbo aside. If theres no transparency in the process then accountability is moot. We wouldn't stand for it, if it was in Canada, why should our ideals be different just because its another part of the world. Hes still a human being after all.
The young man is accused of war crimes.  The only thing he has in common with Canada is his citizenship.  Why should being a Canadian be a "carte blanche" for those who would commit crimes abroad?

Appropos of nothing, time served awaiting trial (in Canada and the US) usually counts double towards eventual sentence, if any. Meaning young Mr. Khadr has effectively served a 12-year sentence, and counting. Which is over the average sentence for manslaughter (8 years) and the minimum parole eligibility period for 2nd-degree murder (10 years).
Another reason for the U.S. to stop dragging its feet and try the guy fergawdsake! The longer they take, the less time he eventually serves, always assuming the 2-for-1 rule applies in his case.
The worst thing about this case is that now it lets his charming mother and sisters tear their hair and plead for public sympathy ... these are the same gals who went on national TV a couple of years ago talking about how proud they'd be if their sons or brothers became suicide bombers. Maybe we should turn it over to Children's Aid.

You are forgetting that "life" in the US, is not 25 years, but life....period

Greetings valued members and guests!

This 'video' was all over the Australian media this morning.

Along with Harper's views too  ;D

Regards,

OWDU

Back