• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

....is reportedly NOT being extradited to Boston to face terrorism charges, according to the Canadian Press:
The lawyer for Abdullah Khadr says a judge has stayed the extradition hearing against his client.

Nate Whitling says Khadr could be released as early as today.

Ottawa wanted Khadr, 28, sent to the U.S. to face terrorism-related charges, but his lawyers argued their client's incriminating statements were the result of torture during detention in Pakistan.

The extradition case against Khadr wrapped final arguments in April.

The judge is giving his reasons for the stay in a Toronto courtroom today ....

More from the Toronto Star here.

Khadr's confessions can be used at trial: judge
Confessions that Omar Khadr made under interrogation are admissible as evidence in the Toronto native's war-crimes trial in Guantanamo Bay, a military judge has ruled.

Khadr's lawyers had asked that the confessions be excluded from the proceedings. But judge Colonel Patrick Parrish ruled that the jury will be allowed to consider the confessions, as well as a video of Khadr allegedly making explosive devices.

That news came hours after Khadr officially pleaded not guilty Monday. His lawyer said the threat of rape and death by an interrogator should make his client's incriminating statements unreliable and inadmissible in court.

The accused war criminal entered the plea on all charges through his lawyer, Lt.-Col. Jon Jackson, as pretrial motions for the long-awaited trial came to a close in the Guantanamo courtroom.

If convicted, the 23-year-old could face life in prison.
More at link above

And yet they've let other-more seriously accused go home~~~and paid for the ticket!!!
I'm not sure the lad will get justice ?~!

BYT Driver said:
And yet they've let other-more seriously accused go home~~~and paid for the ticket!!!
I'm not sure the lad will get justice ?~!

I'm sure he'll get justice, but will he get enough of what he deserves. I'm tired of people jumping on the boo-hoo bandwagon with the liberals and disjointed one sided media for this terrorist and his treasonist family. It makes me sick to think that this country puts up with the likes of them and lets them live among decent honourable citizens.

I think (and it's strictly my own opinion) the film footage of him making IED's speaks volumes for me.      :cdn:    :yellow:

krustyrl said:
I think (and it's strictly my own opinion) the film footage of him making IED's speaks volumes for me.      :cdn:    :yellow:
As I understood the news broadcast I had watched (sorry, no link), those films are admissable as evidence against him.

recceguy said:
I'm sure he'll get justice, but will he get enough of what he deserves. I'm tired of people jumping on the boo-hoo bandwagon with the liberals and disjointed one sided media for this terrorist and his treasonist family. It makes me sick to think that this country puts up with the likes of them and lets them live among decent honourable citizens.
Amen Brother! 

Dennis Ruhl said:
His military lawyers have been media whores to the point that I'm not sure what's going on.
HavokFour said:
Oh for @&%$ sake.  >:(

I want to call shenanigans, I really do.

So this officer, a Lt Col, was seen by doctors and admitted to the hospital, put on morphine and the prognosis by medical professionals is that he may have to go to the mainland for further treatment and you two amateurs thousands of miles away are saying he's bullshitting? Fucking amazing clairvoyance on your parts. You should go into business with each other and start a fortune telling business.

tomahawk6 said:
Not sure why there is even a trial,the kid confessed.

Due process? Just a thought.

edit: a confession is different than a guilty plea. A guilty plea is the only way to avoid a trial.

recceguy said:
So this officer, a Lt Col, was seen by doctors and admitted to the hospital, put on morphine and the prognosis by medical professionals is that he may have to go to the mainland for further treatment and you two amateurs thousands of miles away are saying he's bullshitting? ******* amazing clairvoyance on your parts.

Thank you.  Far be it for me to accuse a lawyer of BSing.  It's just a very strange case that has seen delay after delay and the day the trial opens another delay.  Who knows, maybe when he gets back he'll be fired.  8 years to get to trial following multiple legal appeals and political appeals.  However, I am eagerly awaiting the testimony from Elvis.

Dennis Ruhl said:
Thank you.  Far be it for me to accuse a lawyer of BSing. 

Yup....8 years of very public scrutiny. 8 years of living in a huge political storm. 8 years of tedious legal work. 8 years of living in front of the press. 8 years of.......

Stress does funny thing to people, his lawyer's body just may have had enough, who knows.

But then again, i bow to your obvious ability to smell out a conspiracy. You are obviously a highly tuned individual.

For someone who would die for the cause why opt for a trial ? Plead guilty. He probably wont be executed due to his youth.

Gitmo trial delayed due to ill attorney

By Mike Melia - The Associated Press
Posted : Saturday Aug 14, 2010 10:10:42 EDT

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — The war-crimes trial of a young Canadian detainee was halted Friday due to the illness of his attorney, who was to be flown to the United States for treatment after collapsing in the courtroom.

The trial will be on hold for at least 30 days while the only lawyer for Omar Khadr is treated for complications from recent gall bladder surgery, said Bryan Broyles, the deputy chief defense counsel for the military trials at Guantanamo Bay. Army Lt. Col. Jon Jackson was taken from court by ambulance Thursday, ending the session.

The delay threatens to bring further disarray to a case that has been held up for more than four years by legal challenges and changes to the offshore system for prosecuting alleged terrorists. The trial, which was expected to take about a month, is the first at Guantanamo under President Barack Obama.

Broyles said he expects the same jury will later pick up the case and Jackson intends to stay on as Khadr’s Pentagon-appointed attorney.

“For Lt. Col. Jackson, that is his only concern right now, probably to the detriment of his health,” Broyles told reporters at a news conference inside a hangar at this U.S. Navy base in Cuba.

Khadr is only the third detainee to go on trial at the prison that opened in 2002 and has held nearly 800 detainees, mostly suspected militants captured in and around Afghanistan. Obama has struggled to fulfill a pledge to close the prison and is considering dozens of detainees for prosecution by the Guantanamo tribunals.

Jackson is the only attorney authorized to speak for Khadr, who fired two civilian American attorneys during pretrial hearings. Jackson joked earlier this week during jury selection that he is an “army of one.”

He fainted Thursday while questioning a retired Special Forces soldier who testified that he shot Khadr twice in the back during a firefight at an al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan.

Khadr, who was 15 when he was captured in 2002, is accused of killing a U.S. soldier with a grenade during the battle. He has pleaded not guilty to five charges including murder, conspiracy and spying. He faces a maximum life sentence if convicted.

Khadr, now 23, is the youngest of the 176 detainees at Guantanamo and the only remaining Westerner.

Defense attorneys say the Toronto-born detainee was pushed into war by his father, Ahmed Said Khadr, an alleged al-Qaida financier whose family stayed with Osama bin Laden briefly when Omar Khadr was a boy.

The Egyptian-born father was killed in 2003 when a Pakistani military helicopter shelled the house where he was staying with senior al-Qaida operatives.

Khadr’s jury is made up of seven U.S. military officers who were flown to Guantanamo from bases around the world.

And this:

Prosecutors: Gitmo inmate proud of slaying

The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Aug 12, 2010 10:53:45 EDT

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — Military prosecutors alleged Thursday that Omar Khadr, a Canadian former child soldier and war crimes defendant, told jailers he comforted himself in his first days at Guantanamo by thinking about killing an American soldier.

Prosecutor Jeff Groharing said in his opening argument that Khadr conspired to with al-Qaida to kill as many Americans as possible. He is accused of throwing a grenade that killed a Delta Force medic in Afghanistan in 2002.

The Toronto-born detainee has pleaded not guilty to charges including murder and spying and denies throwing the grenade. His defense says Khadr himself was a victim because he was a child at the time and was influenced by his father, an alleged al-Qaida financier with close ties to Osama bin Laden.

Khadr was 15 when he was captured in 2002 and is the youngest prisoner at Guantanamo. He is also the only remaining Westerner.

Advocates have argued that prosecuting somebody who was so young at the time of the alleged offense violates international treaties protecting child soldiers.

Defense lawyers were to present their opening arguments later.

CDN Aviator said:
Stress does funny thing to people, his lawyer's body just may have had enough, who knows.

[off topic] If it's gallstones, stress doesn't have much to do with an attack.  The cause is usually fatty food, which, consumption of, could be a sign of stress.  ;) [/off topic]

Back