• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tactical vest

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand the CF is required to purchase its kit from Canadian suppliers. Now I won't say whether it's right or wrong, because there are more factors than meet the eye, I'm just saying it could limit the options somewhat. Though I sure as hell wouldn't mind being issued a Dropzone Mutha Ruka  ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

NO it is not - but Canadian content aways gets a it a few bonus marks.

I've been underwhelmed by a lot of Drop Zones kit, either impractical (his LBV system) or utterly bizzarely using a non-MOLLE/PALS attachment system - quality of work is good - just soem design issues.  -- his Recce Smock is a nice piece of work.

Arc'Teryx - as Matt Fisher pointed out the new USMC ruck...

KevinB said:
Arc'Teryx - as Matt Fisher pointed out the new USMC ruck...

arc'teryx is required to contract out to an american company to produce the rucks. the americans require that the products are made in the USA, they dont care where the design came from as long as one of their companies that make it.

Interesting thing about the tac vest (and the 82 pattern webbing back then) is that after I've stuffed it with things like cam paint, bug juice, raingear, etc, I've now got no room to actually put a C9 box, frag grenades or smoke grenades (as if I get any of these on a regular basis) into it.  On the other hand, if I'm just going to be a rifleman, this vest sure is great for bearing the weight since my shoulders don't hurt anymore running around with the full load as I did with the 82 pattern.  Some other guy I know just used the "man purse" configuration of the buttpack for most of his other stuff because we don't have the smallpacks yet.

One minor and inconsequential complaint I have is that they could've made a small version since quite a lot of us tighten the back straps all almost the way, even with a jacket on.  A small version where the straps are maxed out only with all your winter kit on would've been great, but hey, this is still better than the 82 pat.

Jinxed it is designed to wear with the body armour...

after I've stuffed it with things like cam paint, bug juice, raingear, etc, I've now got no room to actually put a C9 box, frag grenades or smoke grenades (as if I get any of these on a regular basis) into it.

Dude, that's what the pockets on your combats are for. The guy stripping your corpse during the consolidation won't need your cam paint and bug juice, so don't put it in your webbing. It willl just slow him down.  :)

Just wondering,
Do cooks in the reserves get Tac-Vests, also how about the small pack system?

Thanks beforehand...

Depends upon which Unit you serve with as entitlement to them is by Unit vice by trade. 1st Line field Units are entitled.

I dont know if anyone know,
It would be for 15 service battalion, Reserves Edmonton.?

Thanks..

Thats Sweet,
Anyways thanks for such the quick reply.

Take care.

Homer-
The Seaforths are issued two green laundry bags in place of the small pack system. You merely knot the drawstrings together and voila you have a unique West Coast approach to carrying your gear.

The Westies are trialing a similar model with a melmac cup attachment. If you raise Westie 47 he may have a picture he can send you. ;D

Noneck

noneck said:
Homer-
The Seaforths are issued two green laundry bags in place of the small pack system. You merely knot the drawstrings together and voila you have a unique West Coast approach to carrying your gear.

The Westies are trialing a similar model with a melmac cup attachment. If you raise Westie 47 he may have a picture he can send you. ;D

Noneck

I hear some of the troops are getting aftermarket setups like that, the Canex Cadpat laundry bags and a Titanium spork and folding cup for HSLD usage. ;D

Homer Simpson said:
Does the Seaforth Highlanders get teh smallpack system ?

Yes. And if they are not, they should be as they are entitled to them.

Vern

who cares? the small pack system sucks as much as the tac vest!

PhilB said:
who cares? the small pack system sucks as much as the tac vest!

well.... you have a lot of constructive things to say - don't ya

Lol, I try and be productive at times! Here I will elaborate. I do not like the small pack system for the following reasons:

a) The daisy chain system of attaching pouches to it is completely ineffective. When a pouch is loaded up with anything heavy i.e. ammo it sags and pulls off the pack.

b) The shoulder straps. This is my biggest complaint. I'm not a big guy but when wearing the pack over a vest and flack jacket with plates the straps are to short, you are basically stuck with having the strap, not the padded portion, digging into your arm pits. Additionally who ever put the slippery nylon material on the bottom, part of the strap that sits on your shoulder, portion of the strap should be shot. This nylon causes the pack to slip around on your shoulders and makes carrying heavy loads uncomfortable.

c) This is a personal preference but I dislike the top loading design. With all of the improvements in pack design out there i.e. a clamshell design having a top loader does not make much sense to me. It makes getting kit out of the pack difficult, particularly at night.

d) The weight of the empty pack is ridiculous. I understand the benefit of having an aluminum stay but come one! This pack weighs a ton empty!

I know in reality the small pack was in essence designed to carry pt kit to the gym and stuff around bases, but for a system that is supposed to make up for the deficiencies of the TV it falls well short in my opinion. Another example of a piece of kit that is not designed around end user requirements and not designed for use in the field or on operations. Hopefully this clarifies a bit.

Have you talked with your masters about submitting a UCR?

It's certain that because the production line has been ramped up and ramped down, they're not going to be producing more for a little while but, there may be work arrounds.... else, if you relly aren't built for the frame, it is possible something else might be ordered / made to fit the need.

Yeah - I know, dreaming a bit

haha, dreaming indeed. I have and a UCR has been submitted ref the small pack. As far as changes, well I think that a lot of the problems are somewhat intrinsic to the design so I'm not sure what changes can be made. As for myself I'm an average size troop in almost every respect so I don't know about getting a different one issued, but as with everything else, I've spent my own money and got a decent piece of kit.

Back