• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tactical vest

They don‘t stay black for long, I don‘t imagine.

Anyway, I think quite a few troops in Afghanistan opted for the dessies.

I noticed the Brits are still wearing half-green and half-desert in most cases.

Anyway, I‘ve never seen a bullet go around something camoflauged. Just because you can‘t be seen doesn‘t mean you can‘t be shot... I think the whole cammie debate is pure bunk. The purpose of camoflauge isn‘t to look invisible, it‘s to reduce the profile and make it harder for your overall shape and outline to be readily identified.

Look at ships of war in WWII... they were camoflauged with bold diagonal lines and shapes, not to make them disappear (in fact they probably stood out more), but to make it harder to tell how many and how large the ships were, when together in groups, and to make it difficult for ranging, etc.

has anyone heard of cadpat t-shirts. Now thats far fetched

I don't know who to ask, but in the equipment photo gallery there is a picture of a LBV. It's cadpat ar. Does anyone know who posted that photo and where they got the LBV?

There was a bunch of the AR LBV's made in 02.  The Cadpat t-shirt was an old trial item from about 01 ish, the dye sealed the pores in the material and made it like you were wearing a Cadpat garbage bag.  Odour was the main problem.

what's up with the military wanting to let go. Have you seen the cadpat ar jean jacket vest's brought back, please tell be this is a temp thing! ??? ???

The Cadpat t-shirt was an old trial item from about 01 ish, the dye sealed the pores in the material and made it like you were wearing a Cadpat garbage bag.  Odour was the main problem.

OK, now I *HAVE* to have one of those.....

They are right up there on my most wanted list with the Old rain jacket done in cadpat print. 

the tacvest is a good peice of kit, but it has its drawbacks.
1) its hot to wear, covers most of your torso and upper body and retains heat.
2) small load capacity, without adding a pouch off the small pack, it just cant hold enough stuff. adding the large pouch off the smallpack remedys this problem for the most part.
3) harder to remove mags from teh chest pouches when lying in the prone.

on the other hand, it does carry the load better than the webbing, and it is more customizable with the side and rear pouches.

fourninerzero said:

AHAHAHA

2) small load capacity, without adding a pouch off the small pack, it just cant hold enough stuff. adding the large pouch off the smallpack remedys this problem for the most part.

on the other hand, it does carry the load better than the webbing, and it is more customizable with the side and rear pouches.

::)
I'm sorry I was sure you where joking intially

Please expound your extensive time using this comapred to other systems to base this on...

fourninerzero said:

Leave it to 4PPCLI to set the record straight.

hahahahah

^-^

KevinB said:
Please expound your extensive time using this comapred to other systems to base this on...

Ive used the older webbing, as well as seen and used other peoples chest rigs and vests, and thats what i base it on. overall i like our tacvest, it works well once you get it worked out to how you want it.

Well seen and used other peoples chest rigs doesn t expound on real world use. I will not argue with Kevin B on that one and besides just whos chest rigs did you use cause it sure wasnt mine.  The tac vest is especially good if you are a non combat arrm trade cause it gives you an idea of what to carry cause they will tell you what to carry. However due to the fact that modern combat is an evolving creature and the individual user must be able to adapt to meet the requirements of th modern combat. The tactical vest for the combat arms in modern operations is very lacking in both modularity and carrying capacity. Rant ends. Besides the only time I have seen Kevin B outsmarted by anything was "The Pyramid":)
R711 OUT

fourninerzero said:
Ive used the older webbing, as well as seen and used other peoples chest rigs and vests, and thats what i base it on. overall i like our tacvest, it works well once you get it worked out to how you want it.

When I get home from here, and pay my visit to the mess, I'm so slapping you upside the head  I'll bring pictures of proper combat loads, worn by people who were getting shot at on an almost daily basis, so then you can understand just how stupid what you said is.  Kevin B I'm sure already has lots.  Sure the tac vest feels comfy, but it has virtually zero modularity.  Being able to pick from 2 different kinds of pouches does not count as modular.  It has no compatibility with allied modular systems, like MOLLE.  And you can't expand it.  Thankfully the aftermarket is offering up some solutions, but they are band-aids on an inherently flawed design.  Until the thing is completely redesigned by people who have an idea of what the requirements are, it will remain crap.  Or we could just save hundreds of thousand of taxpayer development dollars and call Paraclete or Eagle or Blackhawk(maybe not such a good plan) or someone of their ilk.  All of those companies have fully modular systems that would fit the bill nicely.  But then that's what happens when you have a schmick about what the real world requirements for such a system are.  Not what the requirements for going to the range or guarding the gate are.  But it's probably nicer to where around the armoury ::)

Damn that Pyramid... 
I'll beat it this year  ;D

R711 hit the nail on the head - it is a good vest for non combat arms trades, with the essentials they need to briefly fight.

Unfortunately it is 'Legacy' kit designed around patrolling in FYR with 5 mags.  It never incorporated some of the equiptment we use, nor due to its design can it be adapted that way.

CTS is stuck to it, unfortunately it is a sacred cow and despite its vast shortcomings they have their 80% solution ( the 20% half not's being the fighting troops)

The same can be said with the GenIV PBA.

I am sure a search here will uncover NUMEROUS threads with alternative systems...

As an aside, it seems that the CFs aren't the only ones who are unhappy with their current issued Tac-Vest.

I've got a good friend in the British Army serving with the Highlanders.  They all got issued the new PLCE COP vest, but are quite unhappy in that since the C9/Minimi came into British service, these new vests they've been issued don't have pouches large enough to accomodate a 200 round drum.  The utility pouches are sized to fit a British water bottle and assorted kit, not Minimi drums.  Since the vest is a non-modular fixed pouch design, they're screwed.

That really bites. What were the higher-ups thinking? Didn't they realize that LMGs need ammo? And it needs to be carried somehow?

matt,
You have to remenber that the vest was designed before they had purchased the minimi/249. I do have the feeling that the brits will listen to thier troops and redesigned or adapt the system to meet the requirements of modern combat. They also can fall back on a system that still works, the PLCE webbing. Unlike to the Canadians and thier scared cow of the tac vest.
R711 OUT

teddy49 said:
When I get home from here, and pay my visit to the mess, I'm so slapping you upside the head   I'll bring pictures of proper combat loads, worn by people who were getting shot at on an almost daily basis, so then you can understand just how stupid what you said is.   Kevin B I'm sure already has lots.   Sure the tac vest feels comfy, but it has virtually zero modularity.   Being able to pick from 2 different kinds of pouches does not count as modular.   It has no compatibility with allied modular systems, like MOLLE.   And you can't expand it.   Thankfully the aftermarket is offering up some solutions, but they are band-aids on an inherently flawed design.   Until the thing is completely redesigned by people who have an idea of what the requirements are, it will remain crap.   Or we could just save hundreds of thousand of taxpayer development dollars and call Paraclete or Eagle or Blackhawk(maybe not such a good plan) or someone of their ilk.   All of those companies have fully modular systems that would fit the bill nicely.   But then that's what happens when you have a schmick about what the real world requirements for such a system are.   Not what the requirements for going to the range or guarding the gate are.   But it's probably nicer to where around the armoury ::)

Fair enough points, I'm just going off of my experences. as for paraclete or blackhawk, I completely agree. a MOLLE system would be much better than the ladder style daisy chain setup and velcro we have.

Back