• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Body Armour - FPV, BRP, shoulder pads & throat protectors (Merged Thread)

So this is in the new FPV insert rather than the initial Level IIIA soft armour insert?
  the SAI had zylon...

Just purely out of curiosity, what is the NIJ threat level of the FPV (soft armour) by Pacific Safety and Bullet Resistant Plates by Gallet issued to our troops?  I checked the CTS site and public documents; it does not give a specific level but from the description I can render a guess that the BRP is Level III.  The PSP site (http://www.pacsafety.com/products/4100.htm) simply gives a range of what's available for configuration & purchase.

Of course, I know civies won't be given an answer if this is something not suitable for discussion here (happy, para?  :)).

The soft armor is no longer NIJ certified to any level.

Do search - we discussed it before.  ;)

The stuff I was issued was IIIA Soft by Pacific Safety Products and the plates by Ceramic Protection Corp where III.

Field Force soft armour is not NIJ rated -- but simply a fragmentation vest (hint search Zylon here etc )

Yes, I'm new, and thinking that this is mentioned somewhere, though I didn't see it in a search as yet, so what the hell.

For reg/reserve infantry, what level of armour is the standard issue vest?

Though they must be boiling in the field in certain locations, I (for the life of me) don't know why EVERYONE wouldn't have theirs on all the time while on duty. It's like seeing a cop/Brinks guard without one. I just shake my head.

Thanks 'all.

The level of the body armour has previously been discussed and was locked down. OpSec reasons the last time I believe. Aagain, why do you want to know anyways?

Go to the US National Institute of Justice website.  The tables etc are there...

Certification of Body Armor
The National Institute of Justice has a rating system for body armor (NIJ Standard 0101.03, 0101.04 and the interim 0101.05). As you add layers of a ballistic fiber, such as DuPont Kevlar®, you add protection. Vests are tested not just for stopping penetration, but also for blunt trauma protection – the blow suffered by the body from the bullet's impact on the vest. Blunt trauma is measured by the dent suffered by a soft clay backstop to the vest – a maximum of 1.7" (44 mm) is allowed.

As your original question is a matter of OPSEC, please accept the Open Source information that Infidel-6 has provided you as being the industry standards for the various levels.

AS THIS IS AN OPSEC MATTER, further discussion has ended.

TOPIC LOCKED

I am in need of advice, and hoping it is appropriate to ask here - my apologies, if not. I have a family member who is in line for deployment. I have heard that some personnel are buying their own body armor, and there is conflicting information everywhere. What is your opinion of the current armor? Would you advise the personnel / family to buy additionally? If so, what would you recommend?

Depending on where your family member is being deployed and what they will be doing it may not be necessary to purchase anything. If they are staying in KAF then nothing additional is needed (except for some free Timmie's coffee certificates), if they are deploying with a Battle Group or certain elements of the CSS or Prt then there may be a need. Find out what they will be doing before spending hundreds of dollars on a piece of kit that will not be used.

Word of advice:
During my tour, and most other tours, the use of after market protective equipment is not allowed.  There are many articles on these forums regarding reasons and examples. 

From my personal experience;  A fellow soldier in my section had a 'bullet proof' vest his parents gave him as a gift, our platoon WO told him that he was better off leaving it at home, since he still had to wear issued gear.

Essentially, you can buy what ever protective equipment you want, but you still have to wear the issued helmet and vest.  Thus, buying a second vest would be pointless as the issued one still has to be used.  I doubt any soldier would want to wear 2 vest during operations.

As for goggles, gloves, and tactical equipment; the use is dependant on the CoC (Chain of Command) and the standard warnings apply; If damaged, lost, stollen or destroyed, the military will assume no responsibility.  If it becomes contaminated with blood, it will be destroyed (burned).  So it becomes a 'use at own risk' situation.

I wouldn't advise buying any body armour unless the soldiers CoC has specifically cleared its use... but I doubt that will ever happen.

We talk guys out of buying armour if they are going overseas as said above, they will be wearing what is issued.

That said, I do know of a few guys who are wearing their own helmets over there however this is very rare, and most will not be allowed to.

Most family purchases for soldiers are comfort items like insoles and BLSS helmet systems. Other items include iPod cases, patches, shirts (other clothing), gloves, goggles and such things.

Farmboy said:
Most family purchases for soldiers are comfort items like insoles and BLSS helmet systems. Other items include iPod cases, patches, shirts (other clothing), gloves, goggles and such things.

This is all good gear. 

My gloves and BLSS kit were probably the best items I bought for overseas.

And Farmboy's probably the best person to talk to for both.

Besides that, there's lots of gear out there, both tactical and comfort, all of which is very very usefull and usable.  Just search around and you're bound to find various threads about the best gear, as well as valuable information from soldiers who have been there and have used all kinds of gear.

Here is a list of online retailers:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26745.0.html

And you'll find a great deal of info on various pieces of equipment here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,21.0.html

As is brought out, it depends on where they are, what they're doing, and who they're with.

They'll know what they need. If you want to get them anything, comfort items as mentioned would be best. As far as protective equipment, they'll know what they need, and if they should get it.

IF you're looking for augmenting their issue kit for your own ease-of-mind, you should talk with your family member, and they can best explain the situation to you.

Some After Market kit was Authorized on my tour Task Force 3-06,  But After Market Body armour was Not and will never be!! Its a Liability issue
We were allowed to wear Whatever we wanted with in reason, IE: Chest Rigs, Drop Legs, TAC VESTS, Eye Wear, Boots, Gloves etc...

There can be some legal issues with body armour as in DVA not following through on claims and such.  That said one way around using issued kit is buying better and lighter armour plates that slip in one's flak vest.  But should the plates fail and you want to get your insurance you may find problems.

There are no issues with SISIP, with regards to the wearing of aftermarket kit whatever it may be,DVA MAY be another story but so far none of their reps could provide an answer WRT Non issued kit.

Talking to DVA reps,I've gotten answers from "what do we care what kit you were wearing" to "I don't know the answer",it seems to be a grey area,but if you are wounded rather than killed by wearing better armour,who give a damn what they say,at least you will be alive to fight for your compensation package. :)

Back