• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sept 2023 UKR Vet Recognition Incident (merged from several threads)

Perhaps the Members of Parliament should take mandatory training titled “What a Real Nazi Is and How To Recognize One”

Maybe this arrogant smug excuse for a PM will finally be turfed.
Very very doubtful. His cabinet seemed to have rallied behind him in their support of the claim that the speaker acted independently.

Seems par for the course. Defend the great sun prince at all costs.

Keep the engines wide open in a race to the bottom, LPC.
I mean, I really don't understand the delay in his apology, that makes no sense, but I also don't understand the idea that the PM should resign over this. Do you think he really knew he was a member of the Waffen-SS and thought it was "fine" to have him there? Or is it more likely he only knew (if he knew at all) that a Ukrainian war vet was going to be there and went "cool!", and never gave it a second though. Everyone knows I'm not a PP fan, but if this happened during PP's tenure as PM (should it come to pass), I wouldn't be screaming for his head. Highly embarrassing? Yes. Worthy of resigning as PM and causing a whirlwind of political turmoil as a result? Not so much.

I mean, I really don't understand the delay in his apology, that makes no sense, but I also don't understand the idea that the PM should resign over this. Do you think he really knew he was a member of the Waffen-SS and thought it was "fine" to have him there? Or is it more likely he only knew (if he knew at all) that a Ukrainian war vet was going to be there and went "cool!", and never gave it a second though. Everyone knows I'm not a PP fan, but if this happened during PP's tenure as PM (should it come to pass), I wouldn't be screaming for his head. Highly embarrassing? Yes. Worthy of resigning as PM and causing a whirlwind of political turmoil as a result? Not so much.

I don't think I said JT should resign. Although with compounding amount of scandals that have happed during his tenure I am not sure why his party continues to allow him to represent them.

I'm just amused that the LPC seems willing to nose dive past crush depth; and doesn't seem to care or bothered that its happening.

The LPC needs to be sent off into the non official party wilderness and come back centered and better for the sake of Canada.

I don't think I said JT should resign. Although with compounding amount of scandals that have happed during his tenure I am not sure why his party continues to allow him to represent them.

I'm just amused that the LPC seems willing to nose dive past crush depth; and doesn't seem to care or bothered that its happening.

The LPC needs to be sent off into the non official party wilderness and come back centered and better for the sake of Canada.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply YOU were saying that; but a LOT of people are saying that.

And yes, he really doesn't seem to be doing himself any favors.

I understand they are putting all the blame on the speaker. But the speaker is a member of the LPC, and it's hard to say if the PM had knowledge or not. Let's say not.

At the end of the day, Canada's reputation has become so strained I don't see it recovering under the current PM. I've visited several international news sites and we're being laughed at everywhere because of the stupidity of members of the LPC. Nobody in the international community is going to think "Well, that was just the speakers fault" and the fact is internationally this is falling on Trudeau because it's his party, it's his people, and it's his movement that is responsible, whether he was informed before it happening or not. This was 100% entirely a LPC mistake.

If it were up to me, it would be time for an election, and time for a fresh face. This is an international screw-up of epic proportions that effected Ukraine's war effort and image in a negative way. Obviously the opinions on this forum are a grain of salt and don't matter, but it doesn't change the facts, this was 100% one parties mistake under the current PM and nothing any LPC supporter can say or do will change how this looks on the world stage, except step down, call an election, or somehow otherwise present a fresh face and government that isn't so ridiculously embarrassing.

I've always said JT would rather run the party into the ground than hand over the keys to someone else. Even if that someone else could right the ship.

JT to me always seemed like a narcissist. But for years he has been a Teflon man and nothing has been able to stick to him.

His absence to question period has probably done more damage also. Right when arguably Canada has had its worst political week in decades.

I actually feel that if he resigned today it would give the liberal party enough time to recover for the next election. But I honestly feel JT would wait to lose the election before he will resign, thus pushing liberals into a decade or more of irrelevance

perhaps the very fact that he didn't think to apologize right off the bat should be enough of an indicator that he should resign. He doesn't have the moral justification to continue as leader at all.

But the average Canadian doesn't care what the international community thinks about us. Nor does the average politician seeking re-election. It is always about the domestic image, and as we become a more and more divided population along party lines, the less it matters what actually happens to party followers. When the swing vote gets smaller, its all about who can get their core supporters out to the polling stations.

Very very doubtful. His cabinet seemed to have rallied behind him in their support of the claim that the speaker acted independently.
Which is very likely true. There’s a long history in Westminster democracies of a very independent and privileged office of the Speaker, with good reason. Although the speaker is a member of a party, they are not a part of the executive government, and the government does not control their actions.

I’m perfectly fine with assigning blame as appropriate. In this case I truly believe the speaker wears his own screwup.

Logistical somebody in the PMO needs to wear it as well. They should have asked some hard questions, but did not.

The speaker effed up. He is to blame.

The level of damage this caused though is something though the PM needs or needed to take the lead on.

He took too long to appologize. He should have cancelled what ever he had on and shown up in the commons rather than follow his normal schedule. He should have called for the speaker to step down and should have been first to do it.

I don’t blame the PM for the incident. Blaming him is political and partisan. But criticizing his reaction and the way he handled this is not.

The level of damage this caused though is something though the PM needs or needed to take the lead on.

He took too long to appologize. He should have cancelled what ever he had on and shown up in the commons rather than follow his normal schedule. He should have called for the speaker to step down and should have been first to do it.

I don’t blame the PM for the incident. Blaming him is political and partisan. But criticizing his reaction and the way he handled this is not.
I agree with all of that.

Like I said, JT office is partly to blame. It's their job to protect their boss and they didn't.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that Freeland has a background on Ukrainian history and should have raised a redflag, but did not. Have to wonder if she helped slip a knife into her bosses back or she is just not as bright as she likes to think?

Back