• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

reserve do they leave stuff out?Or cram stuff in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange.paint

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering what Po/Eo or training is left out of the reserve BMQ due to the time difference between the reg and reserve.I didn't realise it was such a large time difference.They are now doing the Total force concept for PLQ why not for trades training/Basic as well?

cheers

Re: The RMR Training Courses
« Reply #1 on: Today at 20:57:03 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 week BMQ is for Reg. Force

Res. BMQ is 20 training days plus 1 extra day for SHARP training

Some stuff is leftout (obviously) but most of the training is in there, except everything is just touched upon lightly instead of indepth for weeks on-end.

I'd say it's more cram stuff in than leave stuff out.

I agree with Naralis.  Up to the point where you don't do much of things you should, because everything is so crammed in there's no time.  I believe this is why reserves get their reputation.  We see everything, or almost, too, we just don't do as much/enough of it, therefore our training level is not as high.  I guess it's okay.  We are reserves after all.  Cram an entire week of training into a weekend, the quality of it is bound to suffer.

Don't forget that in the reserves after BMQ you do the Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which is about the same length as the BMQ course so the total is around 45 training days. In the regs in the last few years they had a shorter SQ course and I may be mistaken, but have they not integrated that into reg force BMQ now? In any case, in the res, even though one course is called BMQ and the other SQ, officially the qualifications as they show on a mbr's MPRR are BMQ= BMQ Land (Common) and SQ = BMQ Land. I think the only thing the res don't get get trained on that the regs get is Carl G, as that was dropped for cost reasons.

You get the 84mm training back at your unit afterwards anyways.  We still test everyone on it during IBTS every year.

rcac_011 said:
Just wondering what Po/Eo or training is left out of the reserve BMQ due to the time difference between the reg and reserve.I didn't realise it was such a large time difference.They are now doing the Total force concept for PLQ why not for trades training/Basic as well?

cheers

Re: The RMR Training Courses
« Reply #1 on: Today at 20:57:03 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 week BMQ is for Reg. Force

Res. BMQ is 20 training days plus 1 extra day for SHARP training

All the mandatory POs should still be there in the res BMQ, but you'll find other stuff chopped out, often the confidence course, swimming, rappelling, etc...

Kendrick said:
You get the 84mm training back at your unit afterwards anyways.  We still test everyone on it during IBTS every year.

Seen. Only dry though, right? Re Reg Force SQ, they used to include Driver Wheel and comms as well.

You get the training dry, but there's usually a live range of it every year.  Sometimes it's with the 7.62 subcaliber, sometimes it's a training non-explosive round.  I'm pretty sure the way things work now people can go through years without touching the thing, but if you get assigned to the weapon, or as a backup to it, chances are you'll be shooting it that year.  I guess it also depends on the brigade's budget, some brigades might have enough to run everybody through the ranges, some don't.

Just a Sig Op said:
All the mandatory POs should still be there in the res BMQ, but you'll find other stuff chopped out, often the confidence course, swimming, rappelling, etc...

Thanks that what i was looking for.Just wondering WHAT stuff is excluded if any.So basically it's just hands on isnt so long and all the "extra" soldier stuff other than the bare basics is scrapped.

thanks

The best way to get a correct answer instead of hearsay is to look at the course training plan (TP).  Unfortunately the TP I most recently worked off of for BMQ was reserve only, but for SQ and DP1 (and almost every other course in the army) the same TP is used for regular and reserve and explicitely states what POs are "supplemental" and therefore regular force only.  An example for DP1 Inf (BIQ) is Eryx SRAAW(H).  Usually if particular skill is considered supplemental it is completely removed instead of half-taught.  So on BMQ for the C7 PO it is exactly the same, regular and reserve.

To add to confusion, the TPs are changing constantly and pilot courses are frequently run.  Regular SQ including driver and comms ran probably one time in Wainwright a couple years ago.  NBC training was cut from reserve BMQ a few years ago and then put back in.  84mm has been in and out more often than Ron Jeremy.  Winter operations may be covered on some courses because the course is being run in winter and if you can't set up an arctic tent you'll die.

The reason I asked this question is an armoured student here at gagetown had to redo his dp1 even though he was ql4 qualified (recce) from the windsor regiment.Maybe it was the large difference between the platforms etc.But I know pleanty of guys who went direct entry from PEIR to RCD and just got qualifed leo or coyote/avgp when the next course ran.

I always thought we reservists were more apt to absorb the information quicker, hence the shorter training times.

Plus we have to go to our full time jobs, as productive members of a tax paying society...

just my view rcac_011 ...

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I always thought we reservists were more apt to absorb the information quicker, hence the shorter training times.

Tess,

My former trade's QL6A was 6 months long.  our reserve counterparts did their in 6 weeks. Obviously the average reservist doesnt have 6 months to comit to a course. So the dont learn all the PO that the reg guys do.  They dont get as many practices as the reg guys....Its a matter of time available for training.

Suggesting that reservists, unless its a joke. are somehow more apt to learning faster that reg for guys is plain insulting.  You would be insulted if i suggested the reverse.

Yes he would be insulted and this webpage of reserve buddies would swarm,but alas if a reg member mentioned it banned.

lets close this post.

Then Pat,

Welcome to our world.

I have seen too many people of late making snide comments about reservists, once again.  

Funny it is time that people are getting their posting mesages to work the summer with reservists, maybe that could be a reason..

So you tell me, how does this thread resolve anything.  Have reservists caused any challenges operationally due to their "lack" of training time when placed in an operational situation?

rcac_011,

Oh yes the Crusader of the Regular force troops, holding his ground until his compatriots arrive.  Here to vanquish the evil rentals, in honour of the loyal regs.

Go grab a beer and sort your self out...

dileas

tess

I simply asked why do we have a guy who is redoing a tq3 in the same trade when he ot to regualr force.You once again turned this into a reserve issue.This in no way slagged reservist you like recce guy did it to yourselves.

grow the fuck up.

Gentlemen, if we cannot discuss subjects without insults and tangents, then threads can and will be locked.

Contact a Mod if you have something constructive to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back